shape
carat
color
clarity

Mercier... Gone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
I hope to God that he isn''t and that he comes back online to tell us everything is all right... But "lottie" posted on DT just a few moments ago:

I am sorry to say that I have some sad news to share with all of you. I''m one of Mercier''s friends from Singapore (I got to know him through his sister, with whom I have been best friends since high school) and I believe many of you know him as a long time poster on DT who was well known for his kindness and generosity.

You probably also know that he took a leave of absence to undergo surgery recently for a medical problem. Unfortunately, he developed complications from the operation and passed away last night.

I decided to share this news with you because from what I''ve seen in the past year of being on DT, I''ve come to realize that he is very well loved here. Also, I thought I should let you know just in case any of you have been trying to contact him or are still waiting to receive a package from him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My heart is breaking right now. I considered him a very good friend.
cry.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no.....
cry.gif

Prayers for all of Mercier's friends and family if this news is true. Mercier is/was one of the most generous angels to walk this earth. A truly beautiful soul...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Cass, I really hope this is someone's idea of a sick joke because that's the only way right now I can keep from dissolving into tears. This is really awful...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cassandra,

I cannot post or send messages on Diamond Talk since I am banned. Would you please contact "Lottie" and ask her to e-mail me. I will give you my e-mail address by PM.

I am hoping that this is yet another sick Internet joke, but I need to speak to his sister.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
AGBF, yes I will pass along your e-mail to her.
sad.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Cassandra. I just wrote to you privately and returned to see that you had already replied here. Before he went to Australia for the operation, mercier told me you were his closest on-line friend. If you think this is true, you must be shattered.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I too am sad to hear this news. Mercier was a kind and gentle soul. He will be missed a great deal. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

pelepup

Rough_Rock
Yes, I was just over at DT and read the news. I remember seeing his posts when I first joined DT. It's very sad news and I am sorry to hear it.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF

If you find this to be true, please let us know. I thought the same as you, that it might be a sick internet joke.

Especially since "Lottie" only joined DT on 6/2/03.

I'm praying it's a hoax, albeit a very cruel one.

win

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
>> Before he went to Australia for the operation, mercier told me you were his closest on-line friend. If you think this is true, you must be shattered. <<

I am.
sad.gif
My eyes are so swollen this morning from crying throughout the night that I can't stay on long today. It's hard to see. Shattered is exactly the word to describe it.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
cass_goodbye.jpg

cry.gif

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
I too have been banned from DT, and cannot post there to send Lottie a PM.

Since December of last year, Shannon and I have been spending a lot of time on ICQ talking about many, many things. Some of it very personal, some of it not so personal. I've gotten to know Shannon very well, and we talked about things that he didn't dare mention on DT. He and I were on the opposite time zones...he would be waking up while I made dinner for the kids.

Shannon was generous to a fault. It was a frequent subject of conversation between us, and a source of stress that he put upon himself. I didn't want him to think that his generousity was a factor in our friendship, so we had an agreement that he would never send me any goodies. We shared recipes, we shared a love of diamonds, we shared very intimate details that shall remain between him and myself. We talked about his coming to stay with us for a few months next year, we talked about his plans for the future, his worries for the family, his time in the service, his annoyances, his diamonds, and his health concerns. Shannon was very worried about this surgery, but was hopeful that it would help him get into better health. He was so looking forward to the New Year's celebration in February...was planning on "wowing" everyone. He was also so happy that his mom was coming with him to Australia for the surgery, but even then fretted about what she would eat while they were there.

I know that he loved his family immensely, but especially his mother. The sun rose and set with her. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain that she is in right now, as well as the rest of the family.

I feel like I have a gaping hole where my heart should be, and the rest of me is numb.

"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world."
"Goodnight, sweet Prince, and flights of angels take thee to thy rest." -- William Shakespeare

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
These posts are so beautiful.

Praying for a smooth transition for Shannon and peace for his family and loved ones.

Shannon was a very beautiful light. He spread so much love and light around. He made a difference for so many.

I choose to remember him with great Joy in my heart.
1.gif

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
DA, my experience along the same lines with him. He wanted me to come and visit him in October. I had said I didn't want to go oversease while SARS was still rampant, but once things in that venue were under control we'd talk more about it. He talked about showing me many different wonderful things in Singapore. I've even had long conversations with his Girlfriend/Fiancee, Qihua. I want to get in contact with her. Hopefully Lottie will be able to pass along a message.

He was very generous, but what I found most generous about him was his heart.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to follow up.

This is not a hoax. Shannon has indeed passed away. Before he left for Australia, he told another DTer which hospital he would be at, because she lived in Australia. She called today to confirm this terrible news, and it sadly is true.
cry.gif
sad.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Cass, DA and all whose lives and hearts Shannon touched.

I cannot help but 'rage against the dying of the light'.

It is so unfair, so young and so good, and then the candle is snuffed out.

Our children shouldn't die, just us elders should.

My heart has been lying on the ground all day.

My prayers are with him, and you, and his poor family, especially his mother. WE SHOULD NEVER LOSE OUR CHILDREN.

win

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 6/6/2003 10
6.gif
6:50 PM Cassandra wrote:

"I just wanted to follow up.

This is not a hoax. Shannon has indeed passed away. Before he left for Australia, he told another DTer which hospital he would be at, because she lived in Australia. She called today to confirm this terrible news, and it sadly is true."

I had been thinking it might be (a hoax), Cassandra. Thank you for telling us about this. I had been searching newspapers from Singapore and Australia (on-line) for obituaries and looking up the names of prominent Australian surgeons who did the type of surgery Shannon was to have had. I had planned to e-mail a newspaper or a doctor.

I am a cynic and I had thought that anyone could *say* Shannon had died. (And I mean no disrespect to the real "Lottie". There is just no way for me to have known if she was who she said she was.)

Now that you are forcing me to believe the unbelievable I may have to let it sink in.

Again, Cassandra: thank you. You have been the link (for me, at least) to information I would otherwise not have had. And, as I have posted before, Shannon told me how very close he was to you. Please accept my condolences.

Deb

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
You're most welcome.

My website will be set up with a tribute memorial for the next month... I appologise for the large file size of the MP3 on it in advance, for those with slow connections.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Cass, I think it's a great gesture to rest your website in tribute to Shannon. His picture gracing the front page is very moving.

Remember to look upward to see him, Cass.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello AGBF!
wavey.gif

Did you get my PM on DCC?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 6/7/2003 10:45:12 PM Kamuelamom wrote:

"Hello AGBF!
wavey.gif

Did you get my PM on DCC?"

Hi! I apologize for using space here for this, but no! I forget to check for private messages everywhere. That is why I give all my friends my e-mail address! Thank you for letting me know to look there!!

read.gif

Deb

CherylP

Rough_Rock
I thought that there nothing would ever move me to emerge from obscurity and back onto a public forum...but I was wrong. Learning about Shannon's death earlier today is something I cannot bear alone; I need to be among others who knew him, as I did.

I couldn't stop thinking about Shannon all day; even at the movies with my children, I laughed and cried through "Finding Nemo" -- yet Shannon was always there, like a thread running through everything I did, touched and thought.

Recently -- out of the blue, really -- he sent me a lovely pair of pearl earrings. While I had been out of the forums loop for quite some time, we remained in touch, e-mailing each other now and again.

I can't believe I -- we -- will never hear from him again...at least not on this earth.

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
This is really bizarre... I just had a conversation with him a couple weeks ago on ICQ and he sounded excited, albeit nervous, about the upcoming surgery.

I still feel really skeptical. A little nauseated too.

Erin

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
My last conversation with him was on May 19th. It was about the ring mounting I was going to get for my mother-in-law, and he encouraged me to get it. I'm glad I did.

Hi there, Cheryl. It has been quite a while.

Em... I got your ICQ but I was away from my system at the time.

I'm trying to check once more on my own to confirm the information as there are others who still don't want to believe it (on the other board). So I've e-mailed both the Hospital he was at and the Apartments he was suppose to be staying at (he actually gave me a link to the apartments, so I can verify that much to be true).

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, Fairthorpe is beautiful. I'm hoping that Shannon got to enjoy the views of the river for a little while.

He told me before he left that he would have access to the internet while there. If this was some sort of sick and twisted joke we would have heard from him by now.

I can't help but wonder if the fever he developed after the surgery had been caused by the infection that was present prior to the operation. He was very concerned about it, and was worried that he wasn't in very good health to begin with...

I'm sorry, I'm driving myself crazy. I miss him terribly.

CherylP

Rough_Rock
He never did mention what kind of surgery he was having, but I have the feeling that it was bariatric surgery. He seemed unhappy with his weight, and it was probably a lifelong battle. It breaks my heart if this is so; that he may have died because of something he saw as his last, best chance.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
We're all going to miss him terribly.
sad.gif

He did mention to me that he hadn't been feeling well before he left.

The absolute only thing that has helped me to get through this is the fact that I think he was ready, prepared... and he said what he felt needed to be said before all was done. He told me he worried about dying from this operation (though he never did disclose exactly what it was called or that it was life threatening... I have a feeling it was more serious than bariatric treatment). He was buying up a bunch of jewelry for his mom so that if he passed, he had something to leave her with. I think, somehow, that he knew.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I hope my sons continue to love me in later life even half as much as he loved his mom. What a joy for a mom to have a son who adores you in the way he did.

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
I talked to him on the 18th (May) and he said he was having gastric bypass..

Erin

CherylP

Rough_Rock
...so it *was* bariatric surgery...that's what I thought.

Poor Mercier.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results