shape
carat
color
clarity

Mercier... Gone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that this does not sound critical of others. I knew the nature of Shannon's surgery and the nature of some of his medical problems as did others of you. I also feel that curiosity about what happened to someone we knew is natural.

It may just be my own idiosyncracy, but I don't like discussing the medical facts publicly now that Shannon is gone. (Medical talk when someone is alive and can use support from others is, in my opinion, quite different.)

I am perfectly willing to talk to others by PM or e-mail about the medical facts, but I don't like doing it publicly.

It seems to me that Shannon should be remembered for who he was and what he did, not how he died. At least on a public forum.

I realize that everyone is different and that others may not share my same cultural background. My way may not be "the right way". Since it bothers me to memorialize his surgery rather than Shannon, though, I thought I'd voice my point of view.

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
I realize that everyone is different and that others may not share my same cultural background. My way may not be "the right way". Since it bothers me to memorialize his surgery rather than Shannon, though, I thought I'd voice my point of view.

-----------------------------------------------------------

That is a fair point to make, but I respectfully disagree with you.

From my perspective, those of us discussing it are not trying to memorialize the surgery at all, but rather are trying to just *make sense* for ourselves of the how-and-why this tragedy could have occurred.

I know that is certainly so for me.

Erin

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 6/9/2003 1
6.gif
6:23 PM emnightingale wrote:

"That is a fair point to make, but I respectfully disagree with you.

From my perspective, those of us discussing it are not trying to memorialize the surgery at all, but rather are trying to just *make sense* for ourselves of the how-and-why this tragedy could have occurred."

I hear you, Em. We are all different. What is respectful in one culture is the height of disrespect in another. I hope you know I would never question your good heart. In the culture in which I was raised, the trying to make sense of senseless death (which we certainly did!!) was done privately. We are all ethnocentric, feeling our own ways are the natural and right ways, however. I admit to my own ethnocentrism.

read.gif

Boom

Shiny_Rock
**deleted**

Double posting.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
FWIW, I agree with AGBF.

I feel that if Shannon had wanted to share the nature of his surgery publicly, he would have done so before he left for Australia. He may have been willing to share the information with his friends, but there are many more who did not know him reading this very public board, and there is no need for them to know this.

Perhaps it is better to try to make sense of this (WRT his surgery) in more private ways, email, PM etc.

Of course I am a very private person, so that tempers my views somewhat...

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Well, lottie just posted details on DT from an e-mail she received from Shirin, Shannon's sister. It entails the surgery, and what went wrong.

I also had a chance to "speak" with Shirin today, via ICQ when she logged into Shannon's old account. She confirmed it (his death) as well.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for providing the information that Diamond Talk has further discussion of Shannon. I would like everyone to be able to see your tribute to Shannon. I didn't realize that one could hear "Amazing Grace" there at first, but when I did I was able to take a moment to think and pray while listening to it. Thank you for creating that quiet little space, Cassandra.

Love,
Deb

The link:

http://www.thecassandracollection.com/

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
You are most welcome.

I'm glad you liked the music. I was trying to find something beautiful to match what I thought represented what a wonderful spirit he had.

On a note, an address to send cards to the family members is now on DT too... Shirin didn't specify that it could be posted everywhere so I don't want to post it here myself. It's in the "For those of you who know Mercier" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results