shape
carat
color
clarity

Mental Health and Coronavirus

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is very sad to me. I am sorry for all of you that are hurting. It really is a tough time for everyone. One day at a time means a lot these days. Prayers for all of you.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I was doing ok until this past weekend when I had a major breakdown. I havnt seen the grandkids in ages and I had a video chat with my almost 6 year old and realized how mature she has gotten. When I got off I cried my eyes out , got angry at hubby ( not his fault) ,and then downed some Xanax. Work is asking me if I’m coming back in September. I’m thinking I might be replaced if I say no but I can’t say yes. I have no guarantee what if any hours I will get back if I wait for a vaccine.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you....I can't even imagine. You're lucky you can still get your meds. Due to the opioid problems here in SoCal, I was cut off of all my insomnia meds....making everything worse.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was doing ok until this past weekend when I had a major breakdown. I havnt seen the grandkids in ages and I had a video chat with my almost 6 year old and realized how mature she has gotten.
Yup, kids grow up fast. Luckily for us we get to kiss our grandkids almost everyday.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to add a quote perhaps some might find helpful.

“Mental health problems don’t define who you are. They are something you experience. You walk in the rain and you feel the rain, but, importantly, YOU ARE NOT THE RAIN.” — Matt Haig

It's also important to remember we don't have to be positive and upbeat all the time. It is OK and mentally healthy to feel angry, annoyed, frustrated, scared, anxious, etc. It doesn't make us negative. It makes us human. And being true to ourselves, IMO, is one of the strongest components of good emotional health.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, kids grow up fast. Luckily for us we get to kiss our grandkids almost everyday.

Wow, this is cruel and completely unnecessary.

I have refrained from commenting on your personal situation as well.

We chose not to go near grandparents because we love them and want them to be around much longer. I don't know a single health care worker who does risk their parent's lives for cheap babysitting atm.

But to each their own.

@AprilBaby I wish you lots of wonderful moments with your grand babies! When numbers will go down, you'll have plenty of time with them and they will love being with their grandma!!

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s tough for sure.
Personally I’m fine, I’m already medicated for anxiety (PTSD) and seeing as I’m retired my day to day activities haven’t changed too much. Sure I miss the Movies, going into Town, eating out (while these things are possible to do in Sydney Australia) I’m just being cautious as my parents are very frail health wise.
I am sensitive to others stress so I’m making sure I’m extra polite and extra friendly in all my social interactions. Walking the dogs I’m waving and saying hi all the time. I figure lots of people need extra kindness in their lives.
A few years back I smashed up my foot. I had to endure 6 months NWB, it was really really hard. It took a lot out of me but I came to realise that every day done was one less to go.
So everyone, just do your best, take it a day at a time. Celebrate the small achievements (back then one of mine was not crying for a whole day).
Be kind to yourself and be kind to others.
It’s not forever, even though it feels like it at times.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is very sad to me. I am sorry for all of you that are hurting. It really is a tough time for everyone. One day at a time means a lot these days. Prayers for all of you.

What Gussie said

This thing (covid) is stuffing up everybody :(2

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire what an immature, thoughtless, hurtful comment in response to AprilBaby. Take a moment and think: what did you hope to accomplish by saying that? What a comment like that does is rub salt in a very open, very vulnerable wound. Was that your intent?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This has been a hard time for me. Unfortunately, my husband has beliefs that the COVID situation is a conspiracy in the media with political motives. He will wear a mask, but half-assed. EDIT: He is affiliated with the medical field (although he is not medically trained) and swears the doctors and nurses he knows say the whole thing is overblown. He doesnt deny the virus exists, but that it's not as terrible as the media puts out there. We've been "discussing" this in circles. I HATE the fact that this country is so tribal, politicized and paranoid that we're fighting in the middle of a crisis.

The US has lost it's everlovin mind right now. The fringes on both sides are pathetic. The virtue signaling is a new hobby for some. An odious, tedious self expression of personal piety. I. just. can't. What happened to common sense?

My first anxiety attack happened about three weeks ago. I went to the ER with a heart rate of 140 for 2 hours. Not fun. I left with a bottle of Klonopin for "just in case" it happened again. It happened again last week, but I skipped the drug.

I am looking forward to a return to sanity in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF doesn’t mean harm and I take no offense. He risks his life to help his girls. I can’t. I appreciate all your concerns!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you feeling @House Cat?

I’m struggling. I’m gobbling up all of the news in an effort to know as much as possible. My (diagnosed) OCD tells me that if I don’t do this, my family will die. It’s compulsive checking behavior.

I understand your frustrations with depression and I’m sorry you have it. Last year, I completed two rounds of TMS to get rid of a three year lingering depression. The treatment worked! I was feeling better, then two months later the pandemic hit and my anxiety levels brought the depression back. My doctor wants me to do ketamine treatments. At first, I thought I wouldn’t do it because this depression seems to be situational. Then I thought, “I don’t have to live this way.” I’m going to go through with it.

Watching my son suffer really takes a toll on me. Keeping him inside feels cruel.

On the good news side, my husband just got word that his work will most likely assign him to the permanent stay at home department. It has been a large source of stress to think that he would have to go back to the office.

And...my vegetable garden is gorgeous! I have many flowers growing throughout the garden. My favorite plant that I’m growing is a cantaloupe. There are so many melons on it. It makes me feel like a very accomplished gardener. I’m also re-landscaping the front yard and it’s turning out to look nice too. Well, it will...in a year or so..LOL.

My pets are a lifesaver. I have the sweetest dogs. My chihuahua gives hugs by laying her head on my chest. My golden retriever is practically psychic and jumps into my lap when she senses that I need it. The cat owns the place...she does what she wants.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was doing ok until this past weekend when I had a major breakdown. I havnt seen the grandkids in ages and I had a video chat with my almost 6 year old and realized how mature she has gotten. When I got off I cried my eyes out , got angry at hubby ( not his fault) ,and then downed some Xanax. Work is asking me if I’m coming back in September. I’m thinking I might be replaced if I say no but I can’t say yes. I have no guarantee what if any hours I will get back if I wait for a vaccine.

I’m so sorry. I don’t blame you for breaking down. I had a major breakdown when I realized that I would be missing half of my son’s wedding.

It’s heartbreaking. This pandemic seems to be robbing everyone of some of the things they love most in life.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat, that is good news that your husband will be permanently WFH, that at least is a little load off your mind.

I don't have OCD but my goodness it sounds exhausting, obviously there is a lot of news out there now so it must be constant distress for you, I'm so sorry you are going through that. Also to make progress and then have the damn pandemic set you back is just so unfair. I wasn't aware they were using Ketamine for depression but that is great if it works!

I'm so glad you ar finding comfort in your pets and gardening, that is really great. Continue to hang in there, it is such a struggle but we will get through it and the kids will be okay too

I have an anxiety disorder and it’s been acting up whenever I leave the house now, even if it’s for something necessary like groceries. I have now lost a few acquaintances to Covid (really, I’m very fortunate that it’s no one close to me) and the reality is sobering and depressing. It fills me with absolute fury to see the callousness with which people are treating their own and other people’s lives. Sure, you want to play Russian roulette with your own life, well, that’s your lookout; but don’t endanger others who didn’t ask for it. A very close friend of mine is a front-line worker (a respiratory therapist) and I’m filled with dread for her every day.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
....I’m gobbling up all of the news in an effort to know as much as possible...

And...my vegetable garden is gorgeous! I have many flowers growing throughout the garden. My favorite plant that I’m growing is a cantaloupe. There are so many melons on it. It makes me feel like a very accomplished gardener. I’m also re-landscaping the front yard and it’s turning out to look nice too. Well, it will...in a year or so..LOL.

My pets are a lifesaver. I have the sweetest dogs. My chihuahua gives hugs by laying her head on my chest. My golden retriever is practically psychic and jumps into my lap when she senses that I need it. The cat owns the place...she does what she wants.
Me too @House Cat! I'm not OCD, but I find I don't want to listen to anything but news since this started. For me, this happened for the first time after 9/11. I lost almost all interest in listening to music, it felt so frivolous, and that feeling has persisted all these years.

I normally plant tomatoes, beets, carrots, onions and peppers every year, but I had no interest this spring. But one of my clients who's locked up at home grew A LOT of plants from seed and basically forced me to take baby cantaloupe and San Marzano plants (a first for both). They have gone INSANE in 5 weeks!!! The cantaloupe has spread about 15' and I have 2 fruits so far. The San Marzano is as tall as me and has knocked down its enclosure twice from its weight, it's got 4 or 5 clusters of fruit already. How are you keeping your melons off the ground? I read they don't ripen properly on the ground. <sorry for the threadjack>

I'm glad your husband gets to WFH in the future...what a blessing.

Dogs aren't psychic, but they are what are called non-verbal communicators. As such, they pick up on energy, more so if they love you. Goldens in particular are incredibly empathetic. They are another blessing, and I feel the same. Don't know what I would do without them.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
the doctors and nurses he knows say the whole thing is overblown. He doesn't deny the virus exists, but that it's not as terrible as the media puts out there.

We have one Respiratory Therapist, one RN and one PharmD in our immediate family. They say the same and behave accordingly.

Last edited:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I really feel for all of you who temporary can't see children, grandkids, parents or friends. I just want to remind us that we are lucky to have internet and see our loved ones on screens of our gadgets, and hear their voices and tell them how much we love and miss them. Yes, kids grow up very fast and they are changing a lot with each passing month. My husband left us on Jan. 3, 1997 and saw kids and me for the first time on June 1, 1998, 1.5 years later. We communicated mostly by mail, there was zero internet in Ukraine and long distance phone calls did cost us fortune. We were lucky to talk to each other for 3-5 min. once a months. One more thing, he had not seen his parents, sister and other relatives for 7.5 years. We had no money to buy tickets for him in order to fly back home and visit everyone.

The worst thing is not knowing when this pandemic and lock downs are going to end, as well as whether our lives will be normal again or not. Hope we can find strength to go through these dark times and survive with minimal loses. Lets remember our parents and grandparent who survived WWI, Great Depression, WWII, all pandemics and many other challenges in their lives. They were really strong individuals.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have one Respiratory Therapist, one RN and one PharmD in our immediate family. They say the same and behave accordingly.

Can you clarify this? What do you mean by "say the same?" It sounds like you are saying that they believe COVID illness is overblown, but I'm not sure. Are they Americans and if not, where are they from? And what do you mean by "behave accordingly?"

mjr1

Rough_Rock
Thank you for starting this thread. Knowing we are not all alone helps so much. I am a health care professional as is my DH. This pandemic has turned our lives up side down.... I have a daughter who will be returning to college soon to finish her senior year but there is still no finite plan-it may be virtual, it may not, we are still waiting to hear. I haven't seen my mother since she is in a nursing home and that is very difficult. DH is working full full time-incredibly busy and while I was part time I have stepped it up and am working more than ever. We have been exposed but continue to test negative but have had to quarantine from each other at times. I have had good days and bad days...I stopped watching the news which helped. I get some exercise every day and always remind myself we are better off than lots of people. We have each other and our daughter, our pets and a few friends who we socially distance visit with. I visit here often and look at all the lovely things. Every day I try to do something positive. As Musia mentioned we have wonderful role models in our ancestors who weathered much worse storms. Much love to all who are "weathering" the storm.❤️

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pets are the absolute best in all this. They are the most normal thing in this world. It's almost worth it for the destruction they leave behind when they go one day.

Double amen to that. I don't know where I would be if not for our pets and our garden. Well, and DH. ;-)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results