shape
carat
color
clarity

Men''s Wedding Bands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frugaljoe

Rough_Rock
My fiancee and I went looking for wedding bands this weekend. We visited the store where I bought the setting for her engagement ring, and a couple of other stores in the same diamond district building. She''s decided on her band - a 3mm platinum band, which will match her engagement ring (Round SI1, I 1.10 in a tiffany style setting). I have narrowed my choices down to a couple of bands - I''m looking for a 5mm 18k white gold ring with a two-tone brushed/satin and polished finish.

At one of the stores, the saleswoman told us that a brushed finish and polished finish ring would shine or dull up to match the other finish over time - is that correct?

Also, I understand that with white gold, that it needs to be replated every year or so. One store told us that was included with the cost of the ring. Is there any reason to buy a platinum ring instead?

Finally, while there are a multitude of places to look for diamonds for engagement rings, I can''t seem to find a similar selection for wedding bands for myself. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to check for men''s wedding bands?

Thanks.

Muss

Shiny_Rock
If you check out the menue list at the top of the page, under resources they have a "Designers & Brands" link that might help. There is a good looking Titanium site listed near the end of you are interested at all in that.

SYC

Shiny_Rock
I have a magazine at home that should still be on the newstands that has a GREAT section on men''s wedding bands -- at least 5-6 pages of different styles/designers. I''ll check for the title of the magazine when I get home. My fiance and I have been consulting it for his ring.

FireflyGirl

Rough_Rock
The internet will definitely be helpful in narrowing down your search, without having to go from store to store.

I say stick with white gold, since (as I understand it) it holds its shine a little better than platinum as it''s worn, plus the price factor is a big difference.

My cousin''s fiance just decided on his ring, which is has a satin finish and beveled edges that are polished, similar to what you described. I saw it the other weekend and it looks great. I have seen that same double-finish style on another friend who has worn his ring for a few years and you can still tell the difference in finishes. You may have to have it re-finished down the road, but don''t let them talk you out of that style.

frugaljoe

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 6:14:48 PM
Author: SYC
I have a magazine at home that should still be on the newstands that has a GREAT section on men''s wedding bands -- at least 5-6 pages of different styles/designers. I''ll check for the title of the magazine when I get home. My fiance and I have been consulting it for his ring.

I''d love to check out that magazine if you get the chance to post the title and issue date.

Thanks!

frugaljoe

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 8:19:44 PM
Author: Muss
Something like this? http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=2022

Yes, that''s so close. I actually looked at that ring at one of the stores. The only thing I didn''t like was that the middle portion was ridged, not flat. That price is inline with what I was quoted in the store, (minus tax). Thanks for the link though, I''ll keep looking!

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 11:29:48 PM
Author: frugaljoe

Date: 4/21/2008 6:14:48 PM
Author: SYC

I''d love to check out that magazine if you get the chance to post the title and issue date.

Thanks!
Here it is! It''s the current issue of Inside Weddings. Unfortunately, they don''t have the article online, but here is a link the issue, which should still be on newstands.

http://insideweddings.com/issues/

Also, I realized you said you were browsing in the diamond district... Have you been to Michael C. Fina? I have no idea what their prices are, but the last time I was there, I noticed a pretty good variety of men''s wedding rings. I wasn''t paying too much attention at the time, but I remember thinking some of the styles looked great. You may want to browse around there for styles.

countrygirl28

Rough_Rock
Check www.e-weddingbands.com. They have a good selection of men''s bands in several different types of metals. They also have women''s bands, but it just depends on what you''re looking for. Their prices aren''t bad either, which is always a plus!

countrygirl28

Rough_Rock
Just read that you don''t need a women''s band. At any rate, if you don''t have to have platinum or white gold, check out the palladium bands on e-weddingbands.com. My fiance got one very similar to what you say you''re looking for. Palladium won''t have to be replated, has the hypo-allergenic properites of platinum, but the cost of white gold. For us it was a great alternative! Good luck in your search!

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
Hey frugaljoe,

I highly recommend the wedding ring collection from Verragio Men''s. We purchased both of our wedding rings from them because of the quality and their unique look. We are both a big fan of Verragio styling and service.

Palladium is the new metal of choice right now because platinum is so expensive and it does not have to be plated like the 14 or 18 k gold.

Heather

frugaljoe

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 5:22:36 PM
Author: countrygirl28
Just read that you don''t need a women''s band. At any rate, if you don''t have to have platinum or white gold, check out the palladium bands on e-weddingbands.com. My fiance got one very similar to what you say you''re looking for. Palladium won''t have to be replated, has the hypo-allergenic properites of platinum, but the cost of white gold. For us it was a great alternative! Good luck in your search!
Thanks for the suggestions. I''m still on the hunt for my ring. I''m really sold on the two-two (brushed/polished), but I really don''t like the idea of the ridge in the center of the ring, nor, really the engraving inside that I''m seeing.

Are there any other places online I should look?

As for hers, she really wants a simple 3mm platinum band. I presume (knowing her size) that we can buy that really almost anywhere, right?

lawstudent

Rough_Rock
My fiance really like Christian Bauer rings...especially this one. Cartier makes a similar one in a polished finish (tri-color gold). I''m going to see if I can get a jeweler to make a ring similar to the CB for my fiance''s band - but maybe a rose gold middle section (also brushed).

CBpipi3028.jpg

lawstudent

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 10:56:20 AM
Author: lawstudent
My fiance really like Christian Bauer rings...especially this one. Cartier makes a similar one in a polished finish (tri-color gold). I''m going to see if I can get a jeweler to make a ring similar to the CB for my fiance''s band - but maybe a rose gold middle section (also brushed).

The rose gold finish would make the ring look like this, but much wider.

designbands3028.jpg

frugaljoe

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 10:56:20 AM
Author: lawstudent

I''d like that one if the center portion was a bit wider. It''s been funny to see how particular I am about my own ring. I never would have expected to have as strong an opinion as I do.

lawstudent

Rough_Rock
Check out Bill Barnes'' site for a good selection of Christian Bauer rings - it lists prices, so you''ll get a good ballpark.

Here''s a completely different style - just to throw in a new idea. Also Christian Bauer, Modern - 3 tone, wave

I liked it a lot, but my fiance preferred the more traditional one with 3 segments.

lawstudent

Rough_Rock
Another great designer is Chris Ploof - also modern. I really like a ring just bought by another PSer: meteorite

I think the above runs for about $1500 in 18k white gold and more than double for platinum. I found it on the Clarksville Pottery site - link

They have a ton of interesting rings if you''re into modern: link

Sorry for the overload! I''m also looking at men''s wedding bands now, hence the barrage. Good luck!
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you want to look at platinum, Stuart Moore has some very unique designs...many are his, some are from German designers and they''re engineered from solid blocks of platinum. Not cheap at all, but very nice. My husband got his ring there. It''s 6mm, and 3/4 of it are a brushed/matte finish, and 1/4 is polished. We''ve taken it in once already and they re polished the polish strip and re brushed the matter portion. They also can change it up and polish the matte side and brush the polished side...it''s kinda cool...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results