carat
color
clarity

Men's band design with DKJ

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Got a new CAD tonight!
1531457953204_45628-quad.jpg
I think this will be the final design. I like the balance between the two patterns (x-shaped flower with small circle between vs large circle with small circle in the middle).
I also like that more background metal is showing between the petals.
I don't think the petals need to be skinnier and I don't think I want to clutter the design by adding a new shape (the rounded square idea).
The only unexpected part is in the super mag view where you can see the point of connection between then small circle and the petals. I think its just due to the magnification. I don't see it so much in the other views. Plus it allows for more open space in that section so I may just leave it.
I'm going to sleep on it and will respond to Amy tomorrow with the verdict. Any final thoughts for me?

That was my only thought too, about the sort of... Leaking of metal between the small circle and the petals. You wouldn't want it to look like that in person. You want them to touch but only barely. I wonder whether your red lines you sent her made her think it should have that connecting bit? But otherwise the balance is perfect and I think it looks great with the circles. Well done!

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@Lykame That's a good point. I went back to that image and I see how the area I highlighted could have led to this. I'll include that in my email tomorrow. I saw it but I thought maybe I was being overcriticial.
Third times a charm!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you've made up your mind, but I thought I'd throw this variation out. The points meeting the petals would remove the need for "balls" to join the pieces. I think this shape echoes the area under your gallery (between the two sets of petals). Your design does not seem to have any very round designs.. Its very batik tool

upload_2018-7-13_7-45-51.png

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander I spent all morning debating between this circle and square. Lol I'm going to stick with circle because I like tbe simplicity of the small circle within the larger circle.
I emailed Amy regarding that little tab connecting the circle and petal. She to remove it, the circle would have to be slightly larger again. I asked her to draft it in the CAD so I could pick between the options. I also asked her opinion if this detail would even be noticeable much when casted.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully this isn't too late. I agree about not liking those little connector pieces. I suspect they are needed for structural reasons.

Right now the leaves are perfectly symmetrical, meaning if you look at the purple line below each side is a mirror image of one another. The blue lines represent a hypothetical dimension line that if you were to take a dimension they would be equal dimensions from one other.

As a way to avoid making the circles bigger, you can leave the outside leaves as-is and ever so slightly change the arc (hand drawn in red) on the inside leaf so it touches the circle. The difference will be very, very minute. I tried to redraw the dimension lines (in green this time) to illustrate that if the leaves had a dimension of 1 in their perfect symmetrical life, then the inside portion of the leaf would have some number bigger (in this case, I made up 1.2 as an example).

Make sense?

Again, I think we are talking fractions of an inch here so to the naked eye I think the leaves will still appear symmetrical but we are cheating it just a hair to touch that circle. Sort of like how we compare diamond sizes and we say the naked eye can't discern a difference of less than 0.20mm...so for all practical purposes stones with less than 0.20mm difference is the "same". Same principle here.

Even if there is more than 0.20mm difference, by gradually applying the change throughout the arc our eyes should never see it. Only the people involved in the design and building the ring will know.

InkedInked1531457953204_45628-quad_LI.jpg

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@sledge thanks for taking the time to draft that up. I just barely emailed Amy an hour ago so it not too late and I'm sending another now to see if this is viable option.
As long as the difference was unnoticeable I think it could work.
But wouldn't the slight increase in size of the small circle also be barely noticeable? I think it would still be smaller than the orginal CAD.
And at the end of the day, that connecting bit is probably =/<0.2mm thick anyway..

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thanks for taking the time to draft that up. I just barely emailed Amy an hour ago so it not too late and I'm sending another now to see if this is viable option.
As long as the difference was unnoticeable I think it could work.
But wouldn't the slight increase in size of the small circle also be barely noticeable? I think it would still be smaller than the orginal CAD.
And at the end of the day, that connecting bit is probably =/<0.2mm thick anyway..

I guess it depends how she arcs that inside leaf. I'm not sure if you've used a CAD program before, but I have and a standard arc is defined by the starting point, end point and the center. This makes it perfectly symmetrical based on those points. However, if you use multiple points to create the arc you can cheat it a bit and make it thicker at the circle and slowly skinny it out so it looks even.

The latter method is more similar to using a hand drawn version where we can put the "fat" where we want to see it. Below is a link to a YouTube video showing what I am talking about using AutoCAD. The first minute or so shows the first basic 3 point arc method. Fast forward to around 5:00 and you will see them start using an advanced continue method where you can do what I was talking about earlier.

If you just make the circle bigger, you use what we call an "offset" command and the entire diameter around the circle increases, which takes away part of your background (green area). Before you erase the old original line it looks like a donut (when talking circles) so the original size circle would be the inside of the donut and the revised larger circle would form the outside of the donut.

I'm sure this is confusing but hope it makes sense. The short answer is yes, I believe cheating the leaves using a custom/"hand drawn" arc will give you the effect you want instead of just making the circle bigger.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
I presented it to Amy and asked if it would work. Seems like alot of work for such a small detail. I'm leaving it up to her if its feasible and if it would go unnoticed in the real ring. If not, we'll just increase circle slightly and be done.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Alright got the adjustment from Amy. She slightly increased the circle. She said adjusting the petal shape would cover more of the background metal.
I've made a little collage to show all three versions together. Even though the circle is slightly larger in #3 than #2, it barely affects the open spaces showing the background metal.
20180714_131724.jpg
Already responded that I'd like to start casting this one. Fingers crossed that it will be done in time for my reverse proposal!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Alright got the adjustment from Amy. She slightly increased the circle. She said adjusting the petal shape would cover more of the background metal.
I've made a little collage to show all three versions together. Even though the circle is slightly larger in #3 than #2, it barely affects the open spaces showing the background metal.
20180714_131724.jpg
Already responded that I'd like to start casting this one. Fingers crossed that it will be done in time for my reverse proposal!

Number three, number three, number three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
20180714_131724.jpg

IT'S PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, glad to see you get a design you like. Fingers crossed on your deadline.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Number three, number three, number three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love:

Congrats, glad to see you get a design you like. Fingers crossed on your deadline.

Thank you guys! I'm really happy with the design and can't to see it done.
Amy says casting will start on Monday so thats 8 days from my suspected dateline (anniversary on the 23rd). Of course, my BF could throw a curveball and do it on another day...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys! I'm really happy with the design and can't to see it done.
Amy says casting will start on Monday so thats 8 days from my suspected dateline (anniversary on the 23rd). Of course, my BF could throw a curveball and do it on another day...

Hahaha, getting your nails done just in case? :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, Amy had about the same time to finish my girl's ring with more intricate details and pulled it off. I really think you will be okay. Have you expressed to her the anticipated date, and your plans for a reverse proposal? If she is aware of the situation, I think she will push herself and her team to ensure you have the ring by your desired date.

Keep us posted. :cool2:

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Hahaha, getting your nails done just in case? :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, Amy had about the same time to finish my girl's ring with more intricate details and pulled it off. I really think you will be okay. Have you expressed to her the anticipated date, and your plans for a reverse proposal? If she is aware of the situation, I think she will push herself and her team to ensure you have the ring by your desired date.

Keep us posted. :cool2:
Next weekend I'm being indulgent with a spa day! Mani/pedi, massage and facial! Gotta be ready!

Yes I told Amy the expected date and how I wanted both rings given on the same day. She didn't seem worried about the timing.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
I just picked up the band from Amy tonight! In other news, I'm offically engaged! I started another thread on it in the CS section with the whole story but I just wanted to say it again!

20180730_210553.jpg 20180730_212205.jpg 20180730_212753.jpg
I was trying to show the flower details of both rings together. I really love how they turned out. And how they are coordinating but each unique!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just picked up the band from Amy tonight! In other news, I'm offically engaged! I started another thread on it in the CS section with the whole story but I just wanted to say it again!

I was trying to show the flower details of both rings together. I really love how they turned out. And how they are coordinating but each unique!

The detail brings the ring and band together. Unity. DH band design truly one of a kind!!:love::love: Congrats!!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! That is such a cool band and it totally matches your band too! That's amazing.

You know in all the looking at those CAD pictures it totally didn't occur to me that it would be ... Grooved out like that. I mean, I knew the different metals would be different heights etc, but that the petals and the inner circles would be hollow too... in retrospect it's obvious! It's awesome!!! I think it helps it look more masculine.

It's an absolutely stunning ring, you've done a great job! DK have done a great job as well, it looks perfectly made. He's going to be thrilled! Obviously you're going to post the proposal story to him and hand shots... :whistle:

Awww this is such a wonderful process that you have shared with us, thank you.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

Also your garnet is a total Chameleon, and such a beautiful colour. Wow. Maybe I missed it in one of your other posts, but can you tell me a little more about it? It matches your skin tone perfectly, it's beautiful, unusual and the ring design around it is perfect too.

I'm so impressed!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
his ring is just beautiful! your ring is just STUNNING, WOW! And the harmony in the two of the rings is just absolute perfection. WHen are you planning to give him his ring?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on a project well done. Everything looks beautiful. I like how your stone in the second pic almost matches his ring.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!

They both turned out really nice!!!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i thought your garnet ring was so beautiful, i didn't put it together that the floral band is the matching men's band...omg i love love love these :kiss2:

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Also your garnet is a total Chameleon, and such a beautiful colour. Wow. Maybe I missed it in one of your other posts, but can you tell me a little more about it? It matches your skin tone perfectly, it's beautiful, unusual and the ring design around it is perfect too.

I'm so impressed!

The first day I received the garnet, i was carrying it from room to room in my apartment just to observe the color change.
In my department at work it look almost like a peach morganite but in natural sunlight it's a beautiful medium bright pink. It's a mahenge garnet, 1.86 ct and 9.5x6.5 mm.

The story of this garnet actually starts with four sapphires...
Orginally I had my heart set on a peachy pink pear sapphire because it's my birthstone. But pads are way too expensive for my liking. So i bought four 1ct champagne pink pears from Catham Labs hoping to pick one with the best color. I was 100% fine with the idea of a lab stone in my engagement but the cut quality was poor with huge bowtie and no sparkle in the middle. Also the ends had more saturated color than the center and it amplified the bowtie. Also I discovered 1 ct was smaller than I expected. So they had to go.
At this point I had already started the CAD process with Amy. I had to put the setting on hold and find an alternative stone. My Fi and I scoured the jewelry district in LA but everything in our budget was lackluster.
In the end, PS saved the day and helped me find some etsy vendors who could source a stone for me. That process can be found on this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-finding-a-peach-stone.241287/
Shoutouts to @leslie1956 @MrsKMB @MissyBeaucoup @dkata @princessandthepear @chrono for helping me through that. It was a stressful time for me and I was starting to think I'd have to settle for a stone I didn't love.

Anyway, this garnet was sourced by Lindsay from Afacetaffair on etsy. She was amazing and so sweet to work with. Since she also lives in SoCal, I picked it up in person from a public area. She told us a lovely story about gem sourcer and how great he is. I forget his name but she really spoke highly of him and how all his stones were ethnically sourced. He even sponsors the families of a few gem miners who have past away and the families were left without a provider. So I feel really good that this stone past through good hands on its way to me!

his ring is just beautiful! your ring is just STUNNING, WOW! And the harmony in the two of the rings is just absolute perfection. WHen are you planning to give him his ring?
Thank you so much! I really love how they look together too. Hopefully i can give it him this week. He's working nights all week, so just waiting til I can have a free evening with him.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
The first day I received the garnet, i was carrying it from room to room in my apartment just to observe the color change.
In my department at work it look almost like a peach morganite but in natural sunlight it's a beautiful medium bright pink. It's a mahenge garnet, 1.86 ct and 9.5x6.5 mm.

The story of this garnet actually starts with four sapphires...
Orginally I had my heart set on a peachy pink pear sapphire because it's my birthstone. But pads are way too expensive for my liking. So i bought four 1ct champagne pink pears from Catham Labs hoping to pick one with the best color. I was 100% fine with the idea of a lab stone in my engagement but the cut quality was poor with huge bowtie and no sparkle in the middle. Also the ends had more saturated color than the center and it amplified the bowtie. Also I discovered 1 ct was smaller than I expected. So they had to go.
At this point I had already started the CAD process with Amy. I had to put the setting on hold and find an alternative stone. My Fi and I scoured the jewelry district in LA but everything in our budget was lackluster.
In the end, PS saved the day and helped me find some etsy vendors who could source a stone for me. That process can be found on this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-finding-a-peach-stone.241287/
Shoutouts to @leslie1956 @MrsKMB @MissyBeaucoup @dkata @princessandthepear @chrono for helping me through that. It was a stressful time for me and I was starting to think I'd have to settle for a stone I didn't love.

Anyway, this garnet was sourced by Lindsay from Afacetaffair on etsy. She was amazing and so sweet to work with. Since she also lives in SoCal, I picked it up in person from a public area. She told us a lovely story about gem sourcer and how great he is. I forget his name but she really spoke highly of him and how all his stones were ethnically sourced. He even sponsors the families of a few gem miners who have past away and the families were left without a provider. So I feel really good that this stone past through good hands on its way to me!

Thank you so much! I really love how they look together too. Hopefully i can give it him this week. He's working nights all week, so just waiting til I can have a free evening with him.

What a wonderful journey you have been on for both of these rings. You should post this information above in your engagement ring thread. I just read your original hunt for the stone and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really think your diligence found you a stone that knocked all the other stones you were thinking about out of the water. It was really cute as well reading it whilst knowing how it was all going to end.

Congratulations again!
Best wishes,
Lydia

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Ellebelle!! Thank you much for sharing your beautiful engagement story with us. You two deserve a lot of credit for all the thought and research and heart and soul you put into your quest. This teamwork and caring is a lovely prediction about how happy you will be together. Wishing y’all every blessing!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE his band, and of course your ring as well. Both are incredibly details and gorgeous!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! congrats and gotta love the community here, in particular, @sledge

Awesome results!!!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Ellebelle,

Congratulations! Both the rings are gorgeous and complement each other beautifully. I was following your thread and it's always nice to see a great story.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results