shape
carat
color
clarity

Men's band design with DKJ

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
I was requested by @Lykame to start a seperate thread to go over the design for my boyfriend's engagement band. It will give me something else to focus on while I wait for my ring to be ready!
So a little backstory: my boyfriend let me design my own engagement which should start casting soon! But after so much talk about my ring, I think he was feeling left out at thought of waiting until the wedding to get his bling! He also wanted to show his commit to the engagement by wearing a ring as well. Unlike me, he's not very concerned about the details and only asked that his ring be a complimentary design to mine. So this is what I came up with...

First, I knew I wanted to incorporate some aspect of his Indonesian heritage. The flower detail on my ring represents the national flower of Indonesia so I wanted to tie that in. Also he wears a lot of shirts with traditional (and modernized versions of) indonesian batik. That idea lead me to a jewelry collection by an Indonesian designer and I really connected with this design:
batik ring.jpg
According to that designer, this ring was based off a batik pattern that is traditional for brides and grooms and the meaning behind the design is "everlasting love and loyalty between man and wife". I love that idea! My favorite part is that the pattern looks different depending on where you focus. It can look like an X shaped flower with a small circle in between or it can look larger circles surrounding the small circle. I think this is a really beautiful metaphor for two people coming to together and sharing a life together in marriage. It also reminded me of a recent conversation with my BF where he said something along the lines of, we are two separate people with our own paths choosing to come together and go forward side by side. So I think this design represents that duality of two patterns existing together in one.

Anyway, I wasn't going to buy and ship that ring all the way from Indonesia! So I had Amy recreate it as an infinity design without the stone:
45628-QUAD.jpg

We decided to use the same metals as my ring, but in reverse for a yin yang effect. My ring is mostly rose gold with white gold details and this band is white gold on the interior and rails with rose gold details in the center.
The only changed I asked for was to make the small circle slightly smaller so it barely touches the surrounding petals. I think this will help bring out dual pattern effect. Currently, I only see the large circle pattern and not the X shaped flower pattern.

After that change, I think this one will be ready to cast as well! My BF doesn't know his ring is also coming from DKJ. I'm hoping this ring will be ready close to the same time as mine because I want to surprise him with a reverse proposal after he proposes to me! I don't want to take away his moment, but I'd like to do it at home on the same night. I'm pretty sure he is planning a big semi-public proposal so if I present this ring at home it won't steal his glory.

Ok, that was way longer than I intended, thanks for sticking it out!:lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely story, and perfect design choice that will be meaningful to both of you! I don't have anything helpful to add other than a huge congratulations on your upcoming engagement, and that I'm sure your BF will be blown away by this ring!

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely story, and perfect design choice that will be meaningful to both of you! I don't have anything helpful to add other than a huge congratulations on your upcoming engagement, and that I'm sure your BF will be blown away by this ring!

What a lovely story about a meaningful design for a meaningful ring

Thank you both for being so sweet! Its nice to be able to tell someone about this whole process because none of my friends are really that much into jewelry.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful, with lovely sentiment!
I can’t wait to see the finished rings!!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for doing a thread about this!!!

Wow, what a lovely lovely story, how thoughtful you have been about every aspect of this including how you're going to share the ring with him. That's so lovely. I can almost hear parts of the speech you'll give him before you show him the ring.

I can quite easily see the X and O flower shapes in that CAD but I do see what you mean about that central circle really pulling your eye to the circle pattern rather than the X pattern. Would it help if the petals were a bit bigger too? I presume, perhaps wrongly, that if that circle is smaller the petals will need to be a touch bigger anyway so that they don't lose contact with the circle.

Such a beautiful design and it sounds like it's really going to suite your boyfriend's style too.

Thank you for sharing!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That should look great :)

Just to check, has your boyfriend tried sizing rings in the width this ring will be?

There is a seller on etsy that I've posted before, who does 4mm, 6mm and 8mm wide rings in packs of three, where you choose the sizes you want to try - I found them really useful in working out both the width I wanted, and also the size I wanted, as what is comfortable for five minutes is not always comfortable for a whole day!

I'm pleased I did that, as it meant that the ring I bought fits perfectly and is neither too loose (even in cold weather) or too tight (in the current 30+ degree heatwave the UK is having)!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i love this idea!!! Your plan of presenting it to him privately after he proposes is beautiful and it sounds like he really will truly appreciate it. The design of the ring itself is beautiful but i prefer the DKJ version. i LIKE that i see the circle first in the ring and then after looking, i absolutely see the flower. the inspiration ring is a bit more feminine, i prefer the DKJ take on it. i can't wait to see finished pics!

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for doing a thread about this!!!

Wow, what a lovely lovely story, how thoughtful you have been about every aspect of this including how you're going to share the ring with him. That's so lovely. I can almost hear parts of the speech you'll give him before you show him the ring.

I can quite easily see the X and O flower shapes in that CAD but I do see what you mean about that central circle really pulling your eye to the circle pattern rather than the X pattern. Would it help if the petals were a bit bigger too? I presume, perhaps wrongly, that if that circle is smaller the petals will need to be a touch bigger anyway so that they don't lose contact with the circle.

Such a beautiful design and it sounds like it's really going to suite your boyfriend's style too.

Thank you for sharing!!!
I've been practicing my speech in my head, can you tell? :lol:
For changing the circle size, on the computer I was able shrink the circle just enough that it was still touching the petals, but less contact. Does that make sense? Sorry, the image I made is on my laptop at home.

That should look great :)

Just to check, has your boyfriend tried sizing rings in the width this ring will be?

There is a seller on etsy that I've posted before, who does 4mm, 6mm and 8mm wide rings in packs of three, where you choose the sizes you want to try - I found them really useful in working out both the width I wanted, and also the size I wanted, as what is comfortable for five minutes is not always comfortable for a whole day!

I'm pleased I did that, as it meant that the ring I bought fits perfectly and is neither too loose (even in cold weather) or too tight (in the current 30+ degree heatwave the UK is having)!
Yes i know his ring size because he bought some "practice rings" on one of our shopping trips to DTLA.
He said he wanted to get used to the feeling of wearing a ring so he picked up a cheap tungsten men's band at one of the stalls while I was looking at settings. We found out that his left hand ring finger is 7 but right hand ring finger is 7.5. The vendor was trying to sweet talk us into buying my setting with him (i had mentioned I was already getting a custom setting) and gave us both rings for BF 2 for 1 price! He also fixed a bracelet we brought for free. Now we can't go back to that booth because the guy expects we to buy a setting from him! Opps, tried to tell him..
i love this idea!!! Your plan of presenting it to him privately after he proposes is beautiful and it sounds like he really will truly appreciate it. The design of the ring itself is beautiful but i prefer the DKJ version. i LIKE that i see the circle first in the ring and then after looking, i absolutely see the flower. the inspiration ring is a bit more feminine, i prefer the DKJ take on it. i can't wait to see finished pics!
Thank you so much! I'm excited to see it done too. I'm just glad other people can see what I mean about the pattern shifting, I was starting to think my eyes were tricking me. o_O

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so romantic and touching! You are both so thoughtful! I think the two of you are a great match for each other and the rings are truly a metaphor for the kindness, care, consideration and love you have for each other. Thank you for sharing all of this with us! All the best to you!!! :)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I've been practicing my speech in my head, can you tell? :lol:
For changing the circle size, on the computer I was able shrink the circle just enough that it was still touching the petals, but less contact. Does that make sense? Sorry, the image I made is on my laptop at home.

I think your speech is going to be incredibly eloquent and beautiful.

Yes that does make sense, and I saw @farrahlyn's comment - I agree, doing it the way you have it with that circle slightly smaller will help to keep it themed more masculine. Highlighting the 'flower' component, I can see how that would make it more feminine.

Beautiful band.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@farrahlyn and @Lykame you both make a good point about the flower pattern making the ring more feminine. I'll have to strike a balance between make that pattern slightly more present but keeping an overall masculine look.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@farrahlyn and @Lykame you both make a good point about the flower pattern making the ring more feminine. I'll have to strike a balance between make that pattern slightly more present but keeping an overall masculine look.

I wouldn't worry too much - it's clearly a traditional motif, but it is interesting the balance between the circle and the petal aspects - your inspiration ring I really only see the petals and have to squint at it to make my brain see the circles. Whereas with your one I see the circles and have to squint to see the petals. I think what you've asked Amy to do with the central circle will be absolutely fine. :D

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an example of the traditional pattern used in Batik fabric. Maybe increase the space between the center circle and the petals...

upload_2018-7-10_19-46-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-10_19-43-37.png
    upload_2018-7-10_19-43-37.png
    666 KB · Views: 16

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander you are such a thorough researcher! That example you picked looks really similar to one of my BF's tshirts!:lol:
Also here's the image I sent to Amy last night. When i shrunk down the circle, there was more space for the background metal to show through. I think this accomplishes what you were saying. On top is the original, on bottom with smaller circles and more space:
20180710_165544.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander you are such a thorough researcher! That example you picked looks really similar to one of my BF's tshirts!:lol:
Also here's the image I sent to Amy last night. When i shrunk down the circle, there was more space for the background metal to show through. I think this accomplishes what you were saying. On top is the original, on bottom with smaller circles and more space:
20180710_165544.png
It's better! I might slim down the petals a bit to provide more contrast.

I'm a quilter and use mostly batiks and solids. 20180416_101025.jpg

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander The stitching pattern on your quilt is so intricate and impressive! My grandma and aunt were both seamstress/quilters so I have great appreciation for how much skill goes into those projects.
I'll keep in mind the option to adjust the petal width after I see Amy's next CAD.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think what makes the Batik fabric look more masculine, is the square outline of the inner circle as opposed the the round inner circle. The rings are lovely and so well planned. You are obviously very creative, thorough and meticulous in your research and work. Your boyfriend will be blown away by your meaningful design and the thoughtful actions.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@princessandthepear Are you saying to change the inner circle to an inner square turned with the points in a NSEW orientation? In rocky's fabric sample it seems more like a rounded square than a circle.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you have a lovely, flowing design chosen for the ring. I am not suggesting that you change anything just saying that the fabric pattern reads a little more masculine. Experiment and see which your eye prefers. I love both your design projects and am certain the finished rings will be stunning.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
@princessandthepear Ok, thanks for the feedback and ideas. I have to remember this project is for my man and not myself. Can't have him rocking a delicate dainty flower ring!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
20180710_165544.png
That looks great! Really like it with the slightly smaller inner circle but also really like that they still touch the petals; you said in your original post, I believe, that it was important that they touch because of what it all represents.

@rockysalamander has amazing quilting, wow! I know nothing about quilting apart from the fact it's difficult! The motif she posted is pretty although I can see in that one the inner circles don't touch the petals... I'm thinking it looks difficult to shrink anything anymore without losing that contact.

Your design looks perfect! :mrgreen2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @rockysalamander about trimming down the petals, and also with @princessandthepear about using the rounded square in the NSEW orientation. I think that would look a little more masculine.

But before you do so, I'd have Amy save the CAD as-is, and then have her show the modifications side by side so you can make a final decision.

Thank you for sharing this. As you know I am on the fence about what to do with my own man's ring. For me, this is too intricate, but I love the story and meaning behind it all. You have put lots of thought into the design and that makes it special.

Just a quick question -- noticed on the CAD they had a ring size of 7.25. Is that correct? Seems tiny. I must have big sausage man hands or something because I think I'm an 11.5 or something like that. Maybe my hands have taken too much abuse pulling triggers and cracking heads, lol.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
The motif she posted is pretty although I can see in that one the inner circles don't touch the petals... I'm thinking it looks difficult to shrink anything anymore without losing that contact.

Your design looks perfect! :mrgreen2:
I think the inner circle needs to be touching the petals from a structural standpoint. So that the inner rose gold band is all one piece soldered onto the white gold base? I think if the circle wasn't attached to the petals, each one would have to solder on individually. That sounds more labor intensive but maybe I'm overthinking it.
I agree with @rockysalamander about trimming down the petals, and also with @princessandthepear about using the rounded square in the NSEW orientation. I think that would look a little more masculine.

But before you do so, I'd have Amy save the CAD as-is, and then have her show the modifications side by side so you can make a final decision.

Thank you for sharing this. As you know I am on the fence about what to do with my own man's ring. For me, this is too intricate, but I love the story and meaning behind it all. You have put lots of thought into the design and that makes it special.

Just a quick question -- noticed on the CAD they had a ring size of 7.25. Is that correct? Seems tiny. I must have big sausage man hands or something because I think I'm an 11.5 or something like that. Maybe my hands have taken too much abuse pulling triggers and cracking heads, lol.

Actually I had Amy change his ring size down to a size 7! :lol:
He has long skinny fingers with knobby knuckles. Pretty fitting for his career as a chef but he's cracked plenty heads too!
I'm still on the fence about the rounded square option but want to see it in CAD before deciding. The nice thing about batik is they are not set in stone patterns and theres alot of room for variation.
I don't want to take away too much from the flower pattern because that's the detail that ties in with my ring and he really wanted to have a shared element between the two designs. But still have to keep in mind it is a men's ring.
I know this pattern is pretty intricate and not for everyone but my BF is very "extra" and grandiose so it fits him. I've showed him similar designs and he liked the direction it was going. I'm also getting us a matching set of plainer bands for everyday wear at work (hospital for me and kitchen for him).

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I had to read about the square thing about three times to understand it haha. I like the smaller circle but it would also be interesting to see a small rounded square type pattern in the middle too.

If Amy does that design please share it but regardless of what any of us say, you know your boyfriend best and you're also clearly very artistic. I think you'll just know when the design is correct.

I'm very excited about this on your behalf!

Ooh a hospital huh. Depending on what you do in a hospital that can be very hard on your hands. For your boyfriend too. Will your plain rings include some inset stones? :D Or, or! I can see you getting plain rings that are just metal but perhaps slightly twisty/vine like to tie in with this floral theme...

Oooh. :D

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
I have a tendency to overthink situations and consider too many options and then be indecisive. I'm hoping for that ah-ha and the right design just sticks out.
I am pretty rough on my hands at work i use hand sanitizer at least 50 timea and put on/take off gloves constantly. So i know my real ering will be only for outside of work.
Ohh vines would have been nice but I didnt think lf that in time. I already ordered this set etsy...
20180711_003342.png

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh those are nice and unusual, too. I like them! And as you clearly have a clinical and medical role at least that style won't trap crud.

I have spent many a year looking for a floral/viney band or even engagement ring style setting like that and never found a perfect one...

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

THis made me laugh, @sledge ! My DH wears a size 12 ring and when i purchased a new ring for him for our 15th anniversary the salesperson questioned me MULTIPLE times on his ring size "are you POSITIVE?!" because it's such an unusual size. He's not a big, fat or tall guy either, just has huge hands and fat fingers :lol:

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Got a new CAD tonight!
1531457953204_45628-quad.jpg
I think this will be the final design. I like the balance between the two patterns (x-shaped flower with small circle between vs large circle with small circle in the middle).
I also like that more background metal is showing between the petals.
I don't think the petals need to be skinnier and I don't think I want to clutter the design by adding a new shape (the rounded square idea).
The only unexpected part is in the super mag view where you can see the point of connection between then small circle and the petals. I think its just due to the magnification. I don't see it so much in the other views. Plus it allows for more open space in that section so I may just leave it.
I'm going to sleep on it and will respond to Amy tomorrow with the verdict. Any final thoughts for me?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results