shape
carat
color
clarity

Men in Victoria Secret

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you ever been so mad about something you didn't react at the time and then fumed about it later? That's where I am at 4:30 am.

Victoria Secret is having their semi annual sale and that means sifting through bins of odd underwear that have been tossed around so they're no longer sorted in any logical way.

DH was at the Apple store, but decided to stop in and see what was taking me so long. I enlisted him to help me search at a large table across from a woman an her daughter.

The woman glared at him as he approached so I made a point of talking to him, touching his arm, etc so she would know he was with me. Didn't help at all. She turned to me and said "they really shouldn't let men in here.". I tried to keep it light and joked about how he doesn't want to be here either. We continued shopping like nothing happened. She then turns to me again and says that DH needs to "back off" or she's getting security. Meanwhile he is across a table from her and her daughter. He's nowhere near them and actually couldn't even hear her with the music in the store. She goes on about child molesters"touching" her daughter's underwear. Ummm what? He's picking up the odd pair and showing me, but that's it. We're not even looking for the same size or style as her daughter. Even so who cares? Wash before wearing.

Rather than make a scene I just grabbed DH by the arm and walked to the cash.

Now I'm really mad that I didn't stand up to her. He had every right to be there. What if he was shopping for himself? How is any of this her business?

Grrrrrr.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a rude woman. I understand not wanting an argument in a crowded, loud, disorganized store. It is already too much! The woman was the nut job, your husband was just fine, even if he had been unaccompanied. What if he was looking for a gift or even buying for himself?

My husband recently tried to buy some nice things for me as a gift. It was just ridiculous. He is a proper gentleman and does not feel awkward at a lingerie shop - he is just doing his shopping after all - and he is not a creep towards the women there either. However, the saleswomen would make terrible, embarrassing comments, others would treat him like a pervert, etc. Just because he wanted to buy something for his wife. And the stores that do cater to men tend to be quite questionable around here.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stores like Victoria's Secret used to have many male customers "back in the old days" when men bought lingerie as gifts. Of course, in those days, sales people also practiced a lost art known as "courtesy" towards customers. There were also fewer psychotics like the woman who accosted you and your husband roaming free "in the old days", chemgirl, although I believe you live in Canada and I am not an expert on the deinstitutionalization of mental patients in Canada. In the United States, however, before all the psychiatric hospitals were shut down, there were some beds available to stabilize the people who couldn't understand that all men were not child molesters. Only the good Lord knows how she is shaping her daughter's mind.

AGBF

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have done the same thing too, checked out real quick! You can't reason with crazy!!! :errrr:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been to VS in ages - either alone or with DH - but this sounds so odd to me. Is this the norm now, that it's "weird" for men to be at VS, shopping? Are you serious?

Wow.

ETA: chemgirl, you should let VS know about the incident. They should be training their employees to look out for these kinds of situations and ensure men are comfortable shopping there. Especially men who are accompanying their girlfriends/wives and in no way doing anything inappropriate.

Wow. I just keep reading your post and can't believe it.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1465739751|4043186 said:
I haven't been to VS in ages - either alone or with DH - but this sounds so odd to me. Is this the norm now, that it's "weird" for men to be at VS, shopping? Are you serious?

Wow.

ETA: chemgirl, you should let VS know about the incident. They should be training their employees to look out for these kinds of situations and ensure men are comfortable shopping there. Especially men who are accompanying their girlfriends/wives and in no way doing anything inappropriate.

It was a major sale so it was packed and DH was the only man. It was mostly women shopping alone or Teenagers with their moms.

I had thought of letting an employee know about the issue, but they were all very busy and I didn't think it was worth it. Now I wish I had. Even for someone to tell the woman that yes, men are allowed.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1465736545|4043167 said:
I would have done the same thing too, checked out real quick! You can't reason with crazy!!! :errrr:

I know non confrontational right!? I was like she won't learn so time to go.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1465734615|4043160 said:
What a rude woman. I understand not wanting an argument in a crowded, loud, disorganized store. It is already too much! The woman was the nut job, your husband was just fine, even if he had been unaccompanied. What if he was looking for a gift or even buying for himself?

My husband recently tried to buy some nice things for me as a gift. It was just ridiculous. He is a proper gentleman and does not feel awkward at a lingerie shop - he is just doing his shopping after all - and he is not a creep towards the women there either. However, the saleswomen would make terrible, embarrassing comments, others would treat him like a pervert, etc. Just because he wanted to buy something for his wife. And the stores that do cater to men tend to be quite questionable around here.

I totally thought men buying lingerie was a thing. The stores around here that cater to men are not the type of place to sell anything nice, interesting, but not really my style.

I sometimes get VS cards for free bottoms with no purchase and I send DH because it's close to his work. Now I don't want to put him in an awkward position, but it's so stupid.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1465741230|4043191 said:
CJ2008|1465739751|4043186 said:

Wow.

It was a major sale so it was packed and DH was the only man. It was mostly women shopping alone or Teenagers with their moms.

I had thought of letting an employee know about the issue, but they were all very busy and I didn't think it was worth it. Now I wish I had. Even for someone to tell the woman that yes, men are allowed.

Sometimes in the moment is not the smartest for whatever reason - and if this woman was talking about molestation, just because a man is shopping/browsing underwear, she was probably a little nutty. But I think it would be bother me enough to call / reach out after the fact and let them know what happened.

I'm just p'od for you/your hubby.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1465735162|4043162 said:
Stores like Victoria's Secret used to have many male customers "back in the old days" when men bought lingerie as gifts. Of course, in those days, sales people also practiced a lost art known as "courtesy" towards customers. There were also fewer psychotics like the woman who accosted you and your husband roaming free "in the old days", chemgirl, although I believe you live in Canada and I am not an expert on the deinstitutionalization of mental patients in Canada. In the United States, however, before all the psychiatric hospitals were shut down, there were some beds available to stabilize the people who couldn't understand that all men were not child molesters. Only the good Lord knows how she is shaping her daughter's mind.

AGBF

It just seemed so crazy to me. I work with a few people with similar mindsets. That their children are potential targets and they are constantly on the lookout for anyone trying to hurt them. It's like the line between being cautious and reactionary is just not there.

Our mental health system seems to be in a similar state. No beds and mostly outpatient care when available.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo....

This woman is all worried about her daughter being oogled by child molesters as she is buying her underwear at VS? What a dumbass.

:rolleyes:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We've never encountered that at VS, the random times we've been in there, thankfully.

We did go into a store at an outlet mall a couple years ago that we thought was a sportswear store and turned out to be a bra store. And a couple customers looked at him like...I don't know, if it had been back in the day, they'd have placed the back of their hand to their forehead and had to recline gently on a fainting couch. A saleswoman eventually made a beeline for him and directed him to a chair over in the corner by the door, positioned looking out the windows and told him he and Trapper needed to sit there as a "courtesy to the female customers in the store, this is store policy, as we respect our female customers privacy". There was another guy sitting over there (with two little kids and a baby in a stroller for heavens sakes) and he and JD exchanged eye rolls and shrugs. I asked who was going to help me look for sizes and give me an opinion on if he liked it-she said she would. ha. Ok. yeah. :rolleyes: I told her if the store was that concerned about men accosting women that they had to make them wait by the door, I didn't want to be by myself in there that far away from my husband and kids. "But that's why they have to wait by the door" she tells me. Good lord. We ended up leaving.

Turn the light on, Dark Ages, cripes.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1465743199|4043215 said:
Soooo....

This woman is all worried about her daughter being oogled by child molesters as she is buying her underwear at VS? What a dumbass.

AMEN! It never ceases to amaze me how self-rightous people get without ever bothering to take a look at how their own actions/behavior *could* be perceived. While I don't care if a teenager shops at VS any more than I care if a man shops there, it didn't fail to occur to me that this woman is taking her young daughter into a store that markets SEXY. I'll bet there are plenty of parents out there who would have a problem with her bringing her daughter into VS (I'm not one of them, for the record). How would she have felt if one of those parents attacked her with *their* point-of-view while she was quietly shopping?

I don't care who shops there, and if a man weirds me out while in there it will be because of his BEHAVIOR, not his gender. Good grief!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1465745043|4043223 said:
Soooo....

AMEN! It never ceases to amaze me how self-rightous people get without ever bothering to take a look at how their own actions/behavior *could* be perceived. While I don't care if a teenager shops at VS any more than I care if a man shops there, it didn't fail to occur to me that this woman is taking her young daughter into a store that markets SEXY. I'll bet there are plenty of parents out there who would have a problem with her bringing her daughter into VS (I'm not one of them, for the record). How would she have felt if one of those parents attacked her with *their* point-of-view while she was quietly shopping?

I don't care who shops there, and if a man weirds me out while in there it will be because of his BEHAVIOR, not his gender. Good grief!

She was helping her pick out thongs! I really don't care what the kid wears, it just added a bit of humor to the situation. Like lady you are holding up this strappy little itsy bitsy number and you're concerned with my husband?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1465746846|4043229 said:
Soooo....

She was helping her pick out thongs! I really don't care what the kid wears, it just added a bit of humor to the situation. Like lady you are holding up this strappy little itsy bitsy number and you're concerned with my husband?
Yes.

I am not judging what kind of underwear this young girl wears. I am judging the actions of the mother. If she is so concerned about her daughter's vulnerable sexuality, she should be buying her daughter's underwear in a six-pack at Walmart.

Men have every right to buy lingerie. It doesn't matter if they have a woman with them or not. It doesn't matter if they are buying it FOR a woman or FOR themselves! This is a free country.

I can buy men's underwear all the day long. As a matter of fact, I do it all of the time without a man present! I buy men's undershirts too! The horror!!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1465747223|4043231 said:
chemgirl|1465746846|4043229 said:
Soooo....

Yes.

I am not judging what kind of underwear this young girl wears. I am judging the actions of the mother. If she is so concerned about her daughter's vulnerable sexuality, she should be buying her daughter's underwear in a six-pack at Walmart.

Men have every right to buy lingerie. It doesn't matter if they have a woman with them or not. It doesn't matter if they are buying it FOR a woman or FOR themselves! This is a free country.

I can buy men's underwear all the day long. As a matter of fact, I do it all of the time without a man present! I buy men's undershirts too! The horror!!!

HouseCat, I think you should turn yourself in, immediately! You are a danger to society! :lol:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

100%.

At the same time I also think the girl can wear thongs and it doesn't mean anything - it could be so she doesn't get visible pantylines...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo....

Good for you in not being prejudiced against someone because of their gender - more people should be like you - but the fact remains that men are never employed as sales associates in lingerie stores or lingerie departments. I mean, what's that about? The only reason for them to be barred from employment in those sections is to assume that all men are potential molesters/sex maniacs who wouldn't be able to contain themselves working among women and lingerie. I mean, come on. Now, I haven't noticed, but I bet women are employed in men's underwear sections, ringing up the purchases etc.

On a related note, I found out recently when I was shopping that Banana Republic changing rooms are now co-ed. I was initially surprised, but the changing rooms in the store that I was in had full top-to-bottom wooden doors with locks. Banana Republic solved any awkwardness for transgender people about where to go.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1465748824|4043238 said:

100%.

At the same time I also think the girl can wear thongs and it doesn't mean anything - it could be so she doesn't get visible pantylines...
agreed.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1465751133|4043244 said:

100%.

agreed.

For sure. I really don't care what she wears. And I totally don't think clothing has anything to do with promiscuity or whatever. I had a few thongs at her age.

It was just adding to the humor of the situation. DH is a big bad man sexualizing her daughter when she's buying her thongs. Her logic seemed wonky.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1465751622|4043246 said:

100%.

agreed.

For sure. I really don't care what she wears. And I totally don't think clothing has anything to do with promiscuity or whatever. I had a few thongs at her age.

It was just adding to the humor of the situation. DH is a big bad man sexualizing her daughter when she's buying her thongs. Her logic seemed wonky.

I'm not sure how old the child in this incident was? From the description of her as a child and the surprise that her mother was picking out thongs for her, I'm imagining her to be about ten?

If she was indeed about ten, then visible pantylines seem to be rather an adult-woman concern. I wouldn't have even heard of that at her age, and thongs would have thoroughly confused me, being half an underpant.

But I'm assuming the child was about ten. Perhaps she was 13 going on 14, in which case she'd be thinking about her appearance in a more adult way and possibly feeling self-conscious.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! The irony...I would have like to seen what would have happened if you said, "Go ahead, get security."
I know you didnt want to cause an issue but this women had some nerve :angryfire: .

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS has more significant things to worry about then idiot customers shaming their fellow shoppers:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/victoria-secret-catalogues-saving-150-million-article-1.2648817

But back to the topic at hand: I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable shopping right next to a guy but I would not have been vocal about it. Rather, I would have moved to a different area of the store to browse until he had finished shopping. That is total personal bias on my part. I've been a VS customer on and off for years, and have been given lots of VS from men in my life over the years as well. I have no problem with any person shopping there. BUT. I have been personally violated by someone stealing my bras and panties from a public laundry and it happened to 2 other friends/classmates of mine in the same apartment complex. I was asked to look at a lineup but had to decline because I didn't see the person do it. There are fetishists out there and I am acutely aware of that. So yeah, I can kind of understand this woman's disgust, but again, I would not have verbalized it and assumed that the guy was some sort of pervert.

And Jambalaya, sorry, I do not want to be measured for a bra by a man. I don't care what his orientation is, or his level of expertise. The only man who is touching me in that area has to have a PhD or has signed the same marriage license as I have. Oh, I don't need a bra fitting that day? Nope, still don't need the mental image of a dude wrapping my lacy "initimate apparel" in tissue at the cash wrap. I'll shop somewhere else or order online, thanks.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1465756309|4043257 said:
chemgirl|1465751622|4043246 said:

100%.

agreed.

I'm not sure how old the child in this incident was? From the description of her as a child and the surprise that her mother was picking out thongs for her, I'm imagining her to be about ten?

If she was indeed about ten, then visible pantylines seem to be rather an adult-woman concern. I wouldn't have even heard of that at her age, and thongs would have thoroughly confused me, being half an underpant.

But I'm assuming the child was about ten. Perhaps she was 13 going on 14, in which case she'd be thinking about her appearance in a more adult way and possibly feeling self-conscious.

Maybe 13-14. She looked like just entering highschool age.

I think the daughter was a bit embarrassed by her mom's behavior so that's a plus.

Mom was picking up thongs and was going "oh oh look is this a good one?". Daughter was doing her own thing for the most part.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1465757895|4043266 said:
VS has more significant things to worry about then idiot customers shaming their fellow shoppers:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/victoria-secret-catalogues-saving-150-million-article-1.2648817

But back to the topic at hand: I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable shopping right next to a guy but I would not have been vocal about it. Rather, I would have moved to a different area of the store to browse until he had finished shopping. That is total personal bias on my part. I've been a VS customer on and off for years, and have been given lots of VS from men in my life over the years as well. I have no problem with any person shopping there. BUT. I have been personally violated by someone stealing my bras and panties from a public laundry and it happened to 2 other friends/classmates of mine in the same apartment complex. I was asked to look at a lineup but had to decline because I didn't see the person do it. There are fetishists out there and I am acutely aware of that. So yeah, I can kind of understand this woman's disgust, but again, I would not have verbalized it and assumed that the guy was some sort of pervert.

And Jambalaya, sorry, I do not want to be measured for a bra by a man. I don't care what his orientation is, or his level of expertise. The only man who is touching me in that area has to have a PhD or has signed the same marriage license as I have. Oh, I don't need a bra fitting that day? Nope, still don't need the mental image of a dude wrapping my lacy "initimate apparel" in tissue at the cash wrap. I'll shop somewhere else or order online, thanks.

Ewww I'm sorry that happened to you. The same thing happened to my little sister right after she moved away for school. Literally every pair of underwear was in that load or laundry other than what she was wearing. She had to call and ask to borrow money for more.

There are definitely creepy people out there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1465758269|4043270 said:

Ewww I'm sorry that happened to you. The same thing happened to my little sister right after she moved away for school. Literally every pair of underwear was in that load or laundry other than what she was wearing. She had to call and ask to borrow money for more.

There are definitely creepy people out there.

Sorry it happened to your sister, too! So distressing. My friends' window screen was stealthily cut (first floor apartment, shared with a male) and nothing else was taken, not even her laptop or jewelry. Just undergarments. Duffel bags full of various victims' belongings were found in one of the complex's Dumpsters shortly after we all reported the thefts/burglaries. I was 21. I could not believe the audacity of the offender, and while I am thankful it was an indirect violation, it still felt like a direct violation and is something I will always carry with me, unfortunately, and so will your sister and my friends. :blackeye: Also, lots of anger! That shit is expensive and as a college student I had a hard time of replacing it!!! :angryfire:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yeah. I forgot about the measurement part. I wouldn't be OK with that, either.

I don't think the wrapping-purchases part would bother me though - after all, male employees handle our sanitary products/condom purchases, and male pharmacists have filled some very "embarrassing-ailment" meds for me.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only man who is touching me in that area has to have a PhD or has signed the same marriage license as I have.

That's a pretty broad spectrum of men who you will allow to touch your boobage. Hussy :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1465759791|4043278 said:
The only man who is touching me in that area has to have a PhD or has signed the same marriage license as I have.

That's a pretty broad spectrum of men who you will allow to touch your boobage. Hussy :bigsmile:

You're right! I really need to be more discriminating. Such a harlot! :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1465759600|4043277 said:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about the measurement part. I wouldn't be OK with that, either.

I don't think the wrapping-purchases part would bother me though - after all, male employees handle our sanitary products/condom purchases, and male pharmacists have filled some very "embarrassing-ailment" meds for me.

I get what you're saying. I still inwardly cringe if there is no self-checkout and I am buying tampons and the cashier is male. I grew up in a household in which modesty was considered a virtue and things of personal nature were not meant for public discussion or really whose existence should never be acknowledged. (That is so poorly worded, I hope you understand me--but I'm too lazy to fix it.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results