shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Meet Marilyn Monroe-My Mesmerizing 7.6 ct Old European Cut

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been working on something major and I’m excited to finally share her with you!

Anyone who has seen my posts knows that I am obsessed with old cuts-especially OECs. Hunting for old cut diamonds has become one of my favorite past times. Last year, I bought and set my lovely Josie, but that didn’t stop me from continuing to “research.” Seeing a multitude of old cuts in person has helped me to hone my cut preference and color tolerance. I had vague long range plans to upgrade in the next couple of years. Then, a few months ago, I saw an image of a stone that had the most amazing faceting. I never dreamed I would own her, but somehow the stars aligned and she is mine.

She’s a HRD 7.6 ct M/SI1 with a 49% table and 66.5% depth. Her measurements are 12.26 x 12.43 x 8.22 mm. Due to her medium size culet, I *think* she is a late OEC. Her faceting is just so crisp. Truly, it seems inaccurate to call her my Holy Grail because she exceeds my wildest dreams!

IMG_6912.jpg

The ring is from the High Jewelry collection of an old British jewelry store. I had the center unmounted prior to shipping so I could give her a full inspection.

IMG_6966.jpg

When I received the bespoke setting last week, I knew almost immediately that I would call her Marilyn Monroe.

IMG_6944.jpg

The setting is a bit fancy for my lifestyle, but I’m going to wear her like this until I can figure out her forever dress.

IMG_7202.jpg

A HUGE thank you to my DH for accompanying me on my treasure hunts (he loves this ring almost as much as I do). Special thanks to @maryjane04 and @Mreader for being my second set of eyes and sounding boards. @klrrrr and @Muluver thanks for joining me on the emotional rollercoaster ride. Jewelry friends are the best!

(p.s. These pics are not the best. I found out a couple days ago that June 1st is Marilyn Monroe’s birthday so I rushed the thread a bit. She would have been 96 today. Happy Birthday Marilyn!)

Attachments

• IMG_6912.jpg
    IMG_6912.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Working on it @Mreader :lol:

Next to my GIA F color emerald cut
IMG_6873.jpg

Fire shot
IMG_7251.jpg

Flower pic
IMG_7283.jpg

Perspective shot (my style is pretty casual!)
IMG_7299.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Omg.. I have been patiently waiting for this post!

I can finally enjoy all the photos of your HG in one place :) This has been quite an adventure and your endless research has paid off. How fitting for this beauty to be named in honour of Marilyn!

I really admire your perseverance and also to your hubby too. What a good sport for indulging you in this blingtastic hobby of yours!! I am sure he is

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok, one last pic from last night when I should have been paying attention to my DD's lax game...

IMG_7312.jpg

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That diamond is truly magnificent. It's huuuuge but looks perfect on you! Congratulations!:eek2::kiss2:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been checking the SMTB thread for this post!! It’s a once in a life time find kind of a situation and stone! MM is GORGEOUS and I’m so happy for you to have found your HG!

ETA: you are so lucky that your DH enjoyed the hunt and loves the stone! What a fun adventure and memories you two must have gained from all the treasure hunts!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed this whole thing. How did I miss this whole thing?
Marilyn is crisp and bright!! Congratulations!! :appl:
I really like the current setting, too, it’s fitting for a stone with such big personality :bigsmile:

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Literally amazing! I have no other words... :kiss2:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in awe of her beauty. Marilyn is magnificent!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where is @missy because I need one of her fainting memes! Everything about this is just BEYOND. The perfect facets, the tremendous size, the beautiful bright white (imagine this in candle light!!)....and wow, I love the queenly setting it came in! Congratulations on this majestic piece of art! :love:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marilyn is so dreamy! A holy grail for sure! That faceting. Yummy!! Absolutely incredible!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
She is lovely!!

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
I've been waiting for this! Love the new pics. Marilyn has found her home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results