carat
color
clarity

Me before PS - and After!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
89ECB678-BC14-4094-B092-A862B4DCA5D2.jpeg
The “before” photo. Labradorite set in sterling silver. Such a rad and cool design!!! Such a fragile stone!

But I didn’t mind, because it was cheap and beautiful and hey, once I got married I probably wouldn’t even wear an engagement ring anymore. My mom and her mom just wore a plain band. I was sure I’d be the same!

Oh, wait...

Then I got obsessed. And three years after I got married, we bought this stunning anniversary ring that I love to bits and will never sell. (Three rows of diamonds to represent theee years of marriage, and also - our family becoming three!)

Pic below:

Attachments

• 97066520-D803-4B05-A020-C4235F9050C9.png
    97066520-D803-4B05-A020-C4235F9050C9.png
    886 KB · Views: 35

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
506FE985-DB0E-4AA5-9CAA-AEFE317A7D68.jpeg 766F909E-12E0-4087-A6C9-FA4F42F1B1B3.jpeg B5B03A1F-5151-4A80-8F0A-A1E0507DC9BA.jpeg And then I picked up a superideal half carat, because a friend helped me find a crazy good deal and also because I wondered what all the fuss was about!

It’s a D 0.52ct from Brian Gavin. Size 4.75 finger.

The yellow gold little beauty is a high colour OEC, because I spotted a deal on eBay and of course was curious about those as well...

Attachments

• 721EA6F6-A5C0-4A33-997D-D25AFF6CCCCF.jpeg
    721EA6F6-A5C0-4A33-997D-D25AFF6CCCCF.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 15

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6636DA18-7BD3-4C0B-966A-B17B179BECAF.jpeg 636AA367-3591-4F18-86EA-A9E73F7182D0.jpeg 9F7DAD29-1C9D-463B-85E9-214CDCE16DFE.jpeg

Well I got more and more into antique cuts, and added a few more beauties to my collection! Thanks to new diamond friends selling me their bling or helping me to find good deals. #enablers :lol:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
53D888A6-4CF9-4DEA-B943-1F5F89281492.jpeg E7B315F6-07F0-4CE2-B001-A8103F56678F.jpeg
Then of course I pick up the odd little lovely off loupetroop (sending money to strangers!) and pay an exorbitant sum for a box (LOL), but it’s a very nice box...

Shown is the box is my first diamond ring EVER, that I got when I was 17 as a high school graduation gift. My dear parents offered to buy me a guitar, but I asked if I might have a diamond ring instead... it turns out I was bling-obsessed even before PS!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CA45A11B-9FED-436A-B3E2-26A1CF1A5BC0.jpeg 3DCD5955-D4FC-49E7-99E9-ADB3772AF987.jpeg

I even helped my bff find and design her beautiful engagement ring!

And by “help”, I mean, I asked PSers for help with every little thing and then reported back to her as though I were a pro ;-)

Haha ok I did admit to asking my “diamond friends” for help :bigsmile:!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen2: 8B899851-10A1-40A8-B464-D500ADA22F80.jpeg 1C402650-8057-4B7A-851E-9B87BE6CEC6E.jpeg

And now I have a 2.22ct fancy light brownish yellow Marquise :love: and I am certifiably insane because it does not look big to me!!!

I remember when DH and I were shopping for an engagement ring and trying in 0.50-0.75ct rings and I thought 0.75ct was TOO big!!

And now DSS has hit me with a vengeance, lol!!!

Now I:

- don’t see 2+ carat as huge
- maintain my weight not to fit my clothes, but so I can fit my RINGS without paying to resize!!
- have spent $0 on clothes for 2018 because I’d rather put that money towards bling (hell yeah!)
- have numerous boxes and camera props and lenses in order to take the best bling pics
- have made friends online and IRL due to our mutual love of bling.... :mrgreen2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for a long time, I felt guilty! Like I was hoarding a crazy secret! How frivolous and vain to collect jewellery. How can I wear $20 jeans and a $$$$ ring? Why can’t I be more into travel, or dine dining, or expensive workouts? Something more socially acceptable!

But I should not have worried. Because on PS I am accepted ;))! And this pastime is not frivolous or vain (well, not completely lol!). It is kind and fun and thoughtful! Not to mention beautiful (visually and romantically!). There is a real community here.

You guys cheered me on when I was studying for my GIA graduate diamonds exam (on a sleep-deprived, new-mom brain!)
You guys encouraged me in the hangout section when I needed some words of wisdom as I struggled with the trials of motherhood.
You guys have given me deals, sent me gifts, shared wisdom, shared pics of your bling and details of your lives...

I’ve seen PSers give bling to those that couldn’t afford any. I’ve seen PSers find amazing rings on small (and large!) budgets. I’ve enjoyed debates on topics from science to psychology of ring buying!

You all constantly blow me away with the generosity of your time and knowledge. I’ve learned so much being in your midst!

This is not my whole collection :twisted2: but it includes the pieces I have good picture of :lol:!

I just wanted to say thanks and to say that it has been, and continues to be, quite a journey! I can’t wait to meet some of you at a GTG one day. But until then, keep posting all your little pretties online, share your questions and debates about ring shank thickness and diamond colour etc, and let’s keep having fun. This is an expensive passion and hobby, but it sure lasts long than a three-course meal or a pair of designer jeans! ;)2 (Not knocking those things in general, but haha that’s what I tell myself if I ever feel guilty!!)

May you wear your bling in good health and share with me all the pics! Thanks for letting me join such an awesome club! <3

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C1F1D8B3-F186-4B93-B9E2-21577C88940C.jpeg
Here I am, channeling @KKJohnson , rocking dark nails and a yellow Marquise!

Love it! I just had mine done last week! Only did a nude buff on my hands and then a dark cranberry in my toes, most likely won’t have time to get them done again for another 3 months lol

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha. Yeah I don’t spend money on clothes or purses or shoes. Just bling! I’m a bit of a travel bug but only have so much time off a year and tend to be a budget traveler. So more for bling! :p

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this! It was fun to read! Your rings are so beautiful!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
89ECB678-BC14-4094-B092-A862B4DCA5D2.jpeg
The “before” photo. Labradorite set in sterling silver. Such a rad and cool design!!! Such a fragile stone!

But I didn’t mind, because it was cheap and beautiful and hey, once I got married I probably wouldn’t even wear an engagement ring anymore. My mom and her mom just wore a plain band. I was sure I’d be the same!

Oh, wait...

Then I got obsessed. And three years after I got married, we bought this stunning anniversary ring that I love to bits and will never sell. (Three rows of diamonds to represent theee years of marriage, and also - our family becoming three!)

Pic below:
Your dress is beautiful! You even had jewels on it..so you really did have the bling bug then but didn’t know it! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all your bling and photos @pearaffair and yes to sharing blingtastic pics and blingy dreams.
It's part of what makes life sweet and sassy. Love PS and love PSers.:appl:
Bring on the bling.

diamondsraining.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your jewels are lovely! But, I want your dress. :lol:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Great story and photos! One can really track the progress of your journey as your tastes change and develop over time. I love your Labradorite e-ring and it represents you like your beautiful marquise does as well. I love that your parents gave you an eternity ring for graduation, that is so awesome.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2FB6D1E1-ED70-4C62-ABEB-639A10EAB8C5.jpeg 855A3C8E-513E-416A-9126-FDE68A0D6F4D.jpeg
Love it! I just had mine done last week! Only did a nude buff on my hands and then a dark cranberry in my toes, most likely won’t have time to get them done again for another 3 months lol

Oh that’s too funny - I had a nude done a couple weeks ago! This dark purple is me painting over it... haha because why would I spent more money on a manicure when I could save that money for bling? ;-)

Haha. Yeah I don’t spend money on clothes or purses or shoes. Just bling! I’m a bit of a travel bug but only have so much time off a year and tend to be a budget traveler. So more for bling! :p

Right?! Girl after my own heart!

I LOVE this! It was fun to read! Your rings are so beautiful!

Haha thank you!

Your dress is beautiful! You even had jewels on it..so you really did have the bling bug then but didn’t know it! :lol:

Haha soooo true! Oh that dress was so beautiful. Glad you appreciate it!! More traditional wedding dresses didn’t feel like *me* at all.

Love all your bling and photos @pearaffair and yes to sharing blingtastic pics and blingy dreams.
It's part of what makes life sweet and sassy. Love PS and love PSers.:appl:
Bring on the bling.

diamondsraining.gif

Yah! Bring on the bling!

Your jewels are lovely! But, I want your dress. :lol:

Haha oh I know, right?? True to form, I found a $50 vintage ivory silk dress that I was going to wear for my wedding. My mom was horrified. She offered to buy my dress haha as a wedding gift. I acquiesced to make her happy (I really did love the vintage one!). This was a Sue Wong dress from Bloomingdales.

Great story and photos! One can really track the progress of your journey as your tastes change and develop over time. I love your Labradorite e-ring and it represents you like your beautiful marquise does as well. I love that your parents gave you an eternity ring for graduation, that is so awesome.

It’s true - the labradorite and the Marquise have a similar edgy feel. I’ve come full circle!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful collection. PS is definitely enabling. I’m pretty sure my before and after PS pics would be very similar. I started off with no engagement ring and plain wedding bands and now I have way too much.
Funny but Dss never set in for me when I had my 2.4 ACA, I just wanted a bigger diamond. Now that I do, I can safely says it’s the biggest I would be comfortable wearing.
Thanks for sharing!!!

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
Love your story and enjoyed all of your pictures! Agree about PS!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful collection. PS is definitely enabling. I’m pretty sure my before and after PS pics would be very similar. I started off with no engagement ring and plain wedding bands and now I have way too much.
Funny but Dss never set in for me when I had my 2.4 ACA, I just wanted a bigger diamond. Now that I do, I can safely says it’s the biggest I would be comfortable wearing.
Thanks for sharing!!!

So at a certain point I can stop calling it DSS and just proclaim love for big diamonds? :lol: Sign me up!

Love your story and enjoyed all of your pictures! Agree about PS!

Thanks!!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE your marquise!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep PS will do that to you, lol. I absolutely LOVE the yellow marquise!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep PS will do that to you, lol. I absolutely LOVE the yellow marquise!!!

Thanks!!! Me, too!

I’m totally crazy though. I think of it as “small” but it’s “too big” for me to wear around in real life! Wtf eh.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you :lol:

I didn’t have an engagement ring. Last year, I decided I’d like a ring made, I thought I’d wanted something simple, no pave for me.

84B478F4-A1F3-4B5F-85AB-F55D0C7A1593.jpeg

Then this year, I replied to a thread saying I wouldn’t feel comfortable with anything bigger than 3cts. I’m just not a round sort of person. :whistle:

94DB6D49-0C26-4258-ABB8-B0500542E252.jpeg

4.56 cts and I’m very comfortable with it :lol:

This place is such a bad influence :mrgreen:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha oh I know, right?? True to form, I found a $50 vintage ivory silk dress that I was going to wear for my wedding. My mom was horrified. She offered to buy my dress haha as a wedding gift. I acquiesced to make her happy (I really did love the vintage one!). This was a Sue Wong dress from Bloomingdales.
Aww, I am SO glad you did. That dress is simply divine. :love:

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful transformation!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you :lol:

I didn’t have an engagement ring. Last year, I decided I’d like a ring made, I thought I’d wanted something simple, no pave for me.

84B478F4-A1F3-4B5F-85AB-F55D0C7A1593.jpeg

Then this year, I replied to a thread saying I wouldn’t feel comfortable with anything bigger than 3cts. I’m just not a round sort of person. :whistle:

94DB6D49-0C26-4258-ABB8-B0500542E252.jpeg

4.56 cts and I’m very comfortable with it :lol:

This place is such a bad influence :mrgreen:

Oh Austina! I knew about your large round beauty but I’m going to go check out info on that Marquise!!

Aww, I am SO glad you did. That dress is simply divine. :love:

Awww shucks. Thank you :)
It suited our very tiny wedding at a very tiny restaurant! A big dress would not have fit the space!

Beautiful transformation!

Thanks you :kiss2:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I loved reading your post! You're right, this is the best club - and wow your collection is gorgeous and I hope you keep growing it! Go girl!

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Love this post and I love all your jewellery pre and post Pricescope! I love this forum too. It has been an education, a pastime, a stress-reliever and sometimes an obsession as well.
I know I have loved jewellery since I was a little girl and I’m so grateful to have a husband who indulges me every now and again and who resigns himself knowing that it is my hobby of sorts to keep up with all things jewellery and diamond related. And I’m thankful that life is good and I can indulge in this sort of stuff.
Now that’s a timely bit of thanks on Canadian Thanksgiving day! Am I right?
Pearaffair, enjoy your collection. Ya done great, girl!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results