shape
carat
color
clarity

Maybe a New Dog...Name?

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm working with a local rescue and have been matched with this little cutie. We're doing a trial overnight tonight to see how she does with my darling boy cat, Darwin.

She's a miniature schnauzer, maybe a mix, about 25 lbs. She's the classic salt/pepper coloring, about 8 years old. SOOOOO sweet, docile, passive, quiet. Total couch potato...getting along with me and the cat.

Name suggestions? Her name (given by the rescue) is Sabrina, and they call her Bree. Problem - that's my name, hah.

I had a list of names ready to go but meeting her, none of them seem quite 'right'. I tend to prefer people names for pets, and 2 syllable names for dogs. Googling for renaming pets suggests keeping something with the same ending sound. She responds to Bree, so anything ending in the y, ie, ee, sound should be relatively easy to transition.

I have some friends on FB giving suggestions too. They've given lots of choices, but none that are really sticking out to me.

The one name I can think that she looks like is "Cindy". They don't know a lot about her history, but they think she lived on the streets for awhile. She was picked up by the rescue from the county pound, set to be put down on Tuesday (she was picked up on a Saturday). She was very uninterested in everything when they got her, but now, 2 months later she's a whole new dog with a new lease on life.

Seems like she may have found her furever home :D ...now she just needs a name.

Thoughts?

TIA!

ETA: Notice the cat relaxing on the ottoman in the background of her "close up" :D

CIMG0119.jpg

CIMG0114.jpg

lulu

Ideal_Rock
She's very cute! DH says she looks like a Sadie. Congratulations for saving her!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a "Dilly" born when the daffodils were out, but she doesn't particularly look like a , "Dilly" to me. "Dilly" had a female pup the owner named, "Larky" after the larkspurs that were in bloom when she was born, but you are not looking for flower names! Since her life was spare, "Gracie" came to mind. I am not sure it is peppy enough for her, though. She looks pretty peppy, although she is eight! To me, "Grace" is a calm name!

I think of something like a spice cake for her. Maybe, "Spicy"? (That may not be sweet enough.) Or since you like people's names, "Honey"? Even "Chloe" reminds me of cloves! I am probably no help! She is cute, though!!!

Deb
:read:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your adoption!
I would call her Terry

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1311470284|2975539 said:
I had a "Dilly" born when the daffodils were out, but she doesn't particularly look like a , "Dilly" to me. "Dilly" had a female pup the owner named, "Larky" after the larkspurs that were in bloom when she was born, but you are not looking for flower names! Since her life was spare, "Gracie" came to mind. I am not sure it is peppy enough for her, though. She looks pretty peppy, although she is eight! To me, "Grace" is a calm name!

I think of something like a spice cake for her. Maybe, "Spicy"? (That may not be sweet enough.) Or since you like people's names, "Honey"? Even "Chloe" reminds me of cloves! I am probably no help! She is cute, though!!!

Deb

I really like Gracie!

Others off the top of my head:
Ruby
Cassie
Callie
Lucy
Annie
Rosie
Daisy
Roxy - I think this one is cute

She is so adorable!! I just love her, you are so wonderful for giving her a fresh start in life!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I second Roxie.

Emma
Daisy
Brittney
Olivia

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw she's precious! Darwin appears to be taking it well-ish! :cheeky:

I like Cindy, Lucy and Ruby the best. Congrats on your new addition! :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roxy,Sadie! Gracie are my votes.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sami
Janie
Carly
Molly
Jenny

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kellie

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh I like "Sadie" a lot!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Agnes... And call her Aggie.

I LOVE mini schnauzeres. I hope it works out!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new doggie.. Looking at her, she needs a strong name....

Bailey

Riley...

I just lost my dog of 17 years and am not looking to adopt any time soon. But if I do , Bailey and Riley are my fave names.

I love that you are adopting... That's so awesome.. She's a sweetie pie.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like Sadie and Roxie too.

But since your cat is named Darwin, how about using a name of a famous female scientist so they sort-of match? There aren't too many in evolutionary biology, but thinking outside the box a little...

"Marie" - for Marie Curie, also sounds the most like "Bree" to my ear since the accent is on the syllable with the "ee" sound
"Lizzie" - for Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to graduate from medical school
"Rosie" - for Rosalind Franklin, who was the X-ray crystallographer who took the first picture of the structure of DNA
"Sally" - for Sally Ride, the first American woman in space

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you and your new dog were both named, "Sabrina", I looked up the movie of that name starring Audrey Hepburn. I don't know what you think of the reversal in naming the dog, "Audrey", but she would probably come to it! Audrey Hepburn (whom I loved) had a Yorkshire Terrier called "Mr. Famous".

Deb/AGBF

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
SHe's soooooooo cute, audball :love: oh what a family you'll have with her and Darwin =)

i ike Sadie too!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think, "Cindy" suits her well. I think, "Katie" would, too. But since you like, "Cindy", why not stick with it? She looks like a "Cindy" to me!!! Very cute and Cindy-ish!

Deb

Inkblot

Rough_Rock
Roxy gets my vote! She looks like a little rock star. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Bella! She looks like a Bella to me. She looks very sweet!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awwww she is so sweet...I think she looks like a Trixie!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
She's precious! I love her expression, she looks like she is constantly disapproving of her surroundings!

Hmmm . . . it sounds like she already answers to Bree, so what about names that sound similar?
Marie
Esprit
Capri (do you like Islands? :cheeky: )
Chablis (wine fan?)
Tiki

Our pup was named Bailey when we adopted her, which happens to be the name of my best friend's dog. We ended up keeping it because we couldn't find a rhyming name that we loved, though we spell it "Bailee" now, because she's a little girl. :cheeky: I would advise against naming your dog Bailey, though--we've since learned that it seems like *the* most popular dog name about now.

I hope you can give this sweet little girl her forever home! Thank you for rescuing a pup!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I'd name her Pippa. We just got a puppy and named her Trudie.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I like the "Roxy" suggestion. cute!

hope it works out for you guys!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1311516073|2975697 said:
She's precious! I love her expression, she looks like she is constantly disapproving of her surroundings!

This is so true! I looked back at her picture and laughed. She's adorable!

I like "Audrey" for the reasons AGBF mentioned.

How about Cindylee? You get the Cindy - plus it rhymes with the name she's already used to.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She looks like a "Nelly" to me.

0000aaa.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input guys! I have FB friends giving suggestions too and they've suggested some similar things.

The foster Mom picked her up from the trial overnight this afternoon. I have been sneezing my head off since she got here yesterday. I am sick at the moment, so I HOPE it's just that, so she's going to keep her for the week and give me a few days to get over this cold and we're going to try again next weekend and hope that the sneezing doesn't start back up! I absolutely ADORE her. She is soooo wonderful and sweet. She just loves to loaf around and snuggle. My kind of dog! She definitely seemed to settle in and feel comfortable. She was asleep on the couch within an hour of the foster Mom leaving. She did fantastic on all her walks (has EXCELLENT leash manners) and she even knows quite a few commands already and didn't have a single accident. I had a hard time getting her to eat, but I think that's normal in a new environment.

She and Darwin seemed to get along fine. Darwin definitely exerted his dominance, but she's so passive/submissive it wasn't a problem and I think he is satisfied that she'll take the back seat to him, my little king of the castle. I took her for a car ride and she rides fabulously in the car. I played with her ears, paws, jowls, looked and messed with her teeth, tail, everything, she was a trooper and didn't mind at all! She has all the signs of a fabulous little dog.

Now I just pray I'm not allergic and can add this little sweetie to my little family :))

We're still feeling Cindy as a possible name, others that have been strongly suggested that I also like were Sadie and Lucy. I've had lots of suggestions for Bella but I already know 4 other dogs named Bella that I was trying to avoid that. And since losing my Molly in my recent separation, I was trying to avoid 'M' names and anything sounding at all like Molly.

Though Cindy is still at the top of my list, I still feel like it isn't quite right. My Darwin went unnamed for nearly 2 weeks before he received his name. I had a list of names when I brought him home and none of them seemed to fit either. My BF at the time and my sister's BF at the time went to a concert and came back to the house the next day. They had a bunch of souvenirs from the show like keychains and bumper stickers and things. My sister's then BF took out one of the bumper stickers and put it on the cat's litter box. It was a bumper sticker for the band "Darwin's Waiting Room", haha. And it stuck. Hopefully I'll fall into a name that feels perfect for her.

I hate to change her name at all since she does respond to Bree, but friends from high school call me Bri and she even looks up when someone says Sabrina to me, so I'm going to have to have friends/family avoid using my name for awhile until she gets used to hearing her new name, when I decide what it is......

Keep suggestions coming!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Sadie,Sadie.married lady...

audball

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1311478823|2975616 said:
Since you and your new dog were both named, "Sabrina", I looked up the movie of that name starring Audrey Hepburn. I don't know what you think of the reversal in naming the dog, "Audrey", but she would probably come to it! Audrey Hepburn (whom I loved) had a Yorkshire Terrier called "Mr. Famous".

Deb/AGBF
This is a cute suggestions...I'll have to see what my sisters think!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm between Sadie and Cindy right now I think...my only concern with Sadie is it seems to be a very popular dog name right now too...

Before I met her my thoughts were for Bridget, Macy, Mona, or Kenzie. I still love them all but none of them feel like they really fit either. :wink2:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cute! What about "Aubrey"? Too close?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results