shape
carat
color
clarity

maybe 5 stone 30 pt round u prong size 41/4 setting advice?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
So I am considering a 5 stone 30 pt u prong ring for my every day stand alone ring. Finger size is a 4, maybe 4 1/4 with sizing balls to go over my knuckle.
Good finger coverage? They will be very beautiful stones.
Questions about advice on setting style for comfort/blinginess, etc.

Thank you :wavey:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: maybe 5 stone 30 pt round u prong size 41/4 setting advi

I would suggest looking at 5 stone thread in SMTB to get a sense for finger coverage. You may need to measure out the t6of you finger to make sure you have enough space for 5 30 pointers, otherwise the side stones will dig into adjacent fingers if the setting is curved and not straight.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

I have been looking through all the threads I have found.
Some posts are old and we learn so much with more experience.
I think 5 30s will fit.
I want the stones to be safe but I do not want to see a lot of metal.
Any thoughts on that and height/ring design?
I will need some arc in the setting I believe.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

That will be massive. Personally I love a mega five stone, so if it fits, I think it'll be awesome! I would get the stones set as low as possible. That wide of a spread will be cumbersome if they are too high.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some u-prongs are set too high, so I'd be careful about that. I think five 30 point stones will fit my fingers but that might be a little wide for yours.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Hi ladies!

I am speaking to my vendor today so I appreciate your input.

I tried on a 5 stone 30 pointer ring in a store and it was lovely on me but tough to tell how it will be as it was a size 7 and I am a 4 I believe. The jeweler slid a 3 3/4 on me more easily than I could do it and thought that was my size but I would rather leave room for swelling on a hot day. I am going for a euro shank I think and if I have to put in sizing balls or build up some metal at the bottom I will.

I have no idea how high it will have to be or what will be cumbersome, but certainly a 2 carat engagement ring sits up high so how annoying can this be? ok...tell me!

Interesting on the "straight" vs. an "arc". I am not good at visualizing so I cannot tell what that means. If no arc, no room on my finger I guess? I am pre-caffeinated!

The jeweler thought that the 30 pointers will fit appropriately once a ring is designed in my size, but that one was not straight.

I may want to get tiny white and pink pave rings to wear with it so I just want them to sit flush with the metal at the bottom of the setting. Tips on where to get those are appreciated. I want the rose gold ones to have pink melee.

The stones are going to be top notch.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would want the diamonds curved, too. But the way I tell what can fit my finger is to hold the fingers together and then measure the width of the top part of the finger that can be seen. You don't want the diamonds wrapping around to where they'd be between your fingers. But they can curve slightly to the side.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Diamondseeker-you make sense to me. I am sure that my vendor will "make it work" a la Tim Gunn! :)
I was looking at Vespergirl's 1.8mm pink and white gold stackers and I think I would like 2 of each. I wonder where she got them. I do want pink diamonds in my rose gold rings.

This is fun! lol
My vendor is probably reading this and laughing at me!

lovefordiamonds

Shiny_Rock

Hi Lawmax!

I recently had a 5stone band done w/ 30pointers and had it sized at a 4.25.
Just wanted to share my post with you so you can kind of get a feel for how the band will look once completely.
The Trellis setting i had made has an arc on the ends so it kind of wraps my pinky and middle finger - the fit is perfect. I definitely wouldn't have been able to go any bigger with the stones.

Hope this helps!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yay-bgd-5-stone-trellis-band-v-day-anniversary-gift.198945/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yay-bgd-5-stone-trellis-band-v-day-anniversary-gift.198945/[/URL]

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Hi!
Thank you so much. This is very helpful!
I see you are wearing pave bands next to your 5 stone like I want to. Cool!

It is gorgeous!

:appl:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Hi,
So I just received the Cads on my 5 stone.
I was told no "arc" for comfort due to my small (size 4) finger size. Maybe I should let them make it a tad bigger and add some sizing balls.

suggestions?

Also,
I would love to add the prong-set pave pink bands on either side. The vendor who sold the trio to Vespergirl will make them for me but the stones in the parcel she has are a bit larger and she wants to put them in the same 1.8mm band so the girdles of the stones and prongs will protrude out from the setting.

How would you change the design of the 5 stone setting (I asked for the European shank) in terms of comfort, how high would you set the diamonds (some have said that a bit higher will increase the appearance of their size) and how to configure the setting of the U-prong and the pink melee banks so they can sit flush safely?

Thanks for sharing your experience and the experience of others here!
Most grateful,
lawmax

5_stone_u-prong_cad.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't do higher! That is not going to make them look larger. They are already going to look very large on a size 4 finger! Someone here had theirs set high and later regretted it. I'll have to look and see if I can find the thread. You'll just whack your stones more and be in danger of chipping them!

As far as the bands go, the diamonds MUST not stick out from the sides of bands. They will scratch the other ring. I'd look for another source to make them where they are set in the band with no edges exposed.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi Lawmax,

I think the 5 stone with bands to stack would look great! Yummy with your plans for rose gold!! :love: :love:

I have a question: have you tried on a 5 stone set with a basket setting? The reason I ask, is In my experience, the u prong sat higher--than the basket setting. Your mileage may vary--but maybe you should see what you think. I had a u prong eternity home over a weekend & returned it on a Monday for an assortment of issues. Eventually got a basket setting. The basket sat much lower.

Second, I encourage you to think about this: if your plan is to wear adjacent bands ( :love: ) I'm wondering if the u prong doesn't afford adequate protection to those girdles? I have a basket setting eternity, & can safely wear a stacking band due to the protection the basket provides as long as the band does't hit the girdles! I wonder if someone who has a u prong could chime in with input. I don't have any actual experience with wearing a u prong, but it seems like it could be a potential problem.

As for comfort, yes at first it is a different feel to have that ring on especially if it extends in between your fingers a bit. I never found it unbearable, but quickly became accustomed to wearing a ring such as that.

I also totally agree with DS, don't set them any higher then they need to be, the lower they are the better!

This is exciting, I can't wait to see your ring when it's completed!! :love: :love:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Re: maybe 5 stone 30 pt round u prong size 4 setting advice

Thank you for your thoughts ladies.
I definitely welcome more experience with U prongs and will consider a basket setting.

I see what you're saying about not having the stones set higher. I thought I had read that others loved doing that. ahhhh.....so confusing.

Too bad there is no room for whatever that taper is that is in the Brian Gavin Trellis 2 that people are finding more comfortable. Hmmmm

What if the the lady who is making the pink bands, makes the width of the bands wider so the slightly larger melee she has will not hang over the edge? Maybe she will make the rings that way. I think there will be a slight gap between the rings which is fine as far as I can tell.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My experience with U prong is that I need to order 1/4 size smaller, due to the extra space underneath the diamonds/curves. My first PsS rings (3-stone and spacer band) are size 6, but for the U-prong, I purposely ordered 1/4 size smaller. Glad that I did. Although you need the ring to fit your knuckle, keep in mind about the extra space of the U-prong ring.

I always request my diamonds (except Vatche Solitaire) to be set higher. I like to see the cutlets and I think the diamonds look bigger.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Re: maybe 5 stone 30 pt round u prong size 4 setting advice?

FancyDiamond-very interesting experience with size.
Due to my most recent sizing by a jeweler who was sure I wore a 3 3/4 which he easily slipped on and off...hmmm....he was smooth...I did not find it as easy and that was in air conditioning.
I am getting a size 4 with a EuroShank.

I like the idea of seeing the culets and the entire stone which is much of why I chose a U prong setting. I also somewhat obsessively keep diamonds clean and like to be able to "scrub" the whole stone. :bigsmile:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Any changes you would make to this CAD?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Stellar 5 stone in progress!

Well, as it turns out, a totally new style 5 stone is being created by an amazing designer/bench jeweler/teacher of jewelry design/stone setting/contest judge, etc.
Got the stones and now to finalize the piece.
5 .32 or so F, G and 1 H color, vs and above clarity Crafted by Infinity diamonds courtesy of my friend and stellar man of his word, Wink Jones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results