shape
carat
color
clarity

May I see your WF ACA in color J?

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Color perception is quite interesting. I've always been highly color sensitive and was concerned about my I-color Octavia looking yellow next to my pinky ring which is an E color. I could perceive some faint color in the Octavia while it was loose. Now that the stone is mounted however - and the sides of the stone are open - I cannot distinguish between it and my E color AVC, even when they are right next to each other. How that works, I am not sure.

You can pick it up in this photo, but so far, not in any real-life worn environments.

ACC472AA-536D-4ED9-8FBC-E25681A72442.jpeg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
F12B9177-B2CD-4B86-8AD3-F272A815BBF1.jpeg

Here is my GIA D, GIA J, and GIA W/X. I think my J is a “high” J, as I do not see a lot of tint even from the pavilion.

57C4B745-6B53-4461-A445-F67BA530540D.jpeg

I love J’s and have 3. I don’t notice any yellow, more of a cream.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I think it's normal to see a bit of color from the side in a J, especially in larger carat weights.
I have a 3.76ct J, ACA and depending on the lighting environment, I can definitely see some color.
Here are a side pic of mine along with a front view. front - Copy.jpg side view.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!!!!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I had a J colored super ideal stone that was around 2.5 carats, and I thought it was too yellow for me especially from the side view. I went up just one color grade to I, and I’m much happier with my current stone. My setting now covers some of the side view as well, so I see no tint from the side. He may be color sensitive and have to upgrade to a higher color stone, even if it means getting a smaller diamond.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
I have a 2.24 WF ACA that is SI1 and color J. I was hesitant to go with a J but the pictures I received from WF didn’t read too yellow so I took a chance on it. I am color sensitive. Yes, my stone has warmth to it but it’s only noticeable to me in low or dim light. Most times it appears white. The color is more noticeable on the sides but I have a 6 prong setting which for me, covers a lot of the sides. I would honestly say after a couple weeks I stopped noticing the warmth of the stone and just appreciate the sparkles it throws off!! Strangers comment on my ring all the time. Because of the J color, I got it for an extremely reasonable price!! I love it and don’t regret it one bit 0CF1F388-8390-47FA-8FE7-DA60EDDDFE92.jpeg 49D79E36-E47C-4585-A6F8-17F74F718EEA.jpeg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 2.24 WF ACA that is SI1 and color J. I was hesitant to go with a J but the pictures I received from WF didn’t read too yellow so I took a chance on it. I am color sensitive. Yes, my stone has warmth to it but it’s only noticeable to me in low or dim light. Most times it appears white. The color is more noticeable on the sides but I have a 6 prong setting which for me, covers a lot of the sides. I would honestly say after a couple weeks I stopped noticing the warmth of the stone and just appreciate the sparkles it throws off!! Strangers comment on my ring all the time. Because of the J color, I got it for an extremely reasonable price!! I love it and don’t regret it one bit 0CF1F388-8390-47FA-8FE7-DA60EDDDFE92.jpeg 49D79E36-E47C-4585-A6F8-17F74F718EEA.jpeg

So lovely !!!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Sorry that he seems surprised to find tint from the side. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it. But maybe his sweetheart does not care.

However, I don’t think the tint you showed is outside the normal scope for a J. Is It different than what he was expecting?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A J is a J.
Some people don’t see any tint.
Some people see tint and don’t like it.
Some people see tint and don’t dislike it.
I personally wouldn’t’t recommend a 2ct+ J for a surprise engagement ring because it’s unlikely that the recipient won’t see some body colour on close inspection.
The super-ideals face up a shade whiter nonsense is long overdue for its burial. It’s at best appallingly misleading - it’s unfortunate that it’s so prevalent still here on PS - I’m sorry it confused you, it’s definitely not just you!
A reputably graded RB will look exactly the colour grade that it was assigned.

Last edited:
I think you picked a good example of a J! It’s not what I would call straight up yellow. It has some tint of course, but it’s not bad to my eyes. Perhaps a setting that covers up more of the pavilion would help?

He should probably ask his girlfriend/fiancée for her opinion. Some people would sacrifice colour for size, some would sacrifice size for colour. The “right thing to do” will depend on the person wearing it!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It seems like the first thing he noticed about the ring upon seeing it was the color which says to me it’s not the right ring. I would always make color a priority. J in that size is not going to face up white. Even if not around others where not in a comparison situation, there is still a certain type of brightness (not brightness in cut performance) that will be lacking.
I would go down to an eye clean SI clarity and/or size to get a better color. I wouldn’t get anything lower than H (but preferably higher).

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for your post. Your ring is lovely!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
This is what I wanted to post yesterday but couldn't find the pic.
Comparison of J and F. The pear is an F obviously.

I agree with Yssie that a J, especially in that size isn't something that should be purchased as a surprise for an e-ring.
If I had got it back when we got married, I would not have been happy.

In fact, I wore a 2.52ct G for about 14 years and and always thought I'd upgrade color before size until I saw a gorgeous, large J.
But it was my choice, not my partners.

Even though a J can look quite white, there will be many times when the tint is visible. Either you don't care, or going with an H or higher for a 2ct stone should be a safe choice. I say "safe" but it's hard to know where someone will start seeing color, or caring that they see color.

J and F Compare.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I like the J color. It's not blindingly white, but it's also not saturated with tint. I think as long as any adjacent stones aren't a notably whiter color it's perfectly decent for use in a ring. I wouldn't want a J center stone with D-G colored halo or accent stones, though.

Seen with an L colored loose diamond

Again with an L colored loose diamond

Again with an L colored loose diamond

that just looks WHITE to my eyes, but I'm pretty sure its because I'm not colour sensitive.

Ultimately at this point the best thing to do imo is to present her with the ring and let her know the option of upgrading to a higher colour is always there, though it may be at the cost of (slightly) reduced size/lower clarity/ES instead of ACA.

I do want to highlight that it is possible this is something that is bothering your nephew and not something that would bother his girlfriend, who is after all the person who will be wearing it everyday. I have a couple of friends who received high colour e-rings from their partners, because the possible tint bothered their partners; and they love the thought, but they have told me that they wish those partners had compromised on colour for size. It's just so personal.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m reading all your replies and you’re all making valid points!! I laid out all the options in an email to him this morning. I’ve got my preference(s), but I’ll let you know what he decides. I’m the meantime feel free to keep posting your pics & thoughts.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that just looks WHITE to my eyes, but I'm pretty sure its because I'm not colour sensitive.

Ultimately at this point the best thing to do imo is to present her with the ring and let her know the option of upgrading to a higher colour is always there, though it may be at the cost of (slightly) reduced size/lower clarity/ES instead of ACA.

I do want to highlight that it is possible this is something that is bothering your nephew and not something that would bother his girlfriend, who is after all the person who will be wearing it everyday. I have a couple of friends who received high colour e-rings from their partners, because the possible tint bothered their partners; and they love the thought, but they have told me that they wish those partners had compromised on colour for size. It's just so personal.

VALID point!!

missjenny

Rough_Rock
My fiance presented me with a .8 F color IF diamond. I put in my own funds and upgraded to a 2.25 warmer color IF diamond and set it in yellow gold. It all comes down to preference. I wanted a bigger size and was willing to sacrifice the color for it.

Maybe he should let her know its exchangeable?

Last edited:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fiance presented me with a .8 F color IF diamond. I put in my own funds and upgraded to a 2.25 warmer color IF diamond and set it in yellow gold. It all comes down to preference. I wanted a bigger size and was willing to sacrifice the color for it.

Maybe he should let her know its exchangeable?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is his prevailing thought at this moment: He got ideal cut, great clarity, surpassed the 2ctw mark, platinum setting (she likes white metals) and STAYED in his budget, with upgrade capability - he’ll present it and let her make final decision. He’s in law school and may run it by some fellow student gal pals for reaction; saying it’s exchangeable.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is his prevailing thought at this moment: He got ideal cut, great clarity, surpassed the 2ctw mark, platinum setting (she likes white metals) and STAYED in his budget, with upgrade capability - he’ll present it and let her make final decision. He’s in law school and may run it by some fellow student gal pals for reaction; saying it’s exchangeable.

I think that makes perfect sense. And tell him not to mention anything to his gal pals about color, at least when they first look at it, and see if any mention it. Please come back and let us know the outcome.

Last edited:

missjenny

Rough_Rock

Sounds like a great plan! Make sure the friends don't try on the ring. The future fiancee may not like it lol.

My fiance always told me before our engagement that he'll buy me something refundable and exchangeable. I had his ring for a week before I decided to go with his offer to exchange it for something I preferred (larger diamond and different setting).

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
His plan sounds perfectly reasonable. I am really interested to hear what the gal pals say. My young lawyer friends who gossip about rings behind each other’s back always judge color.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rut Ro! That’s a bummer…..as I mentioned, he’s in law school. I wish you’d said doctors vs lawyers. I appreciate the honest info - I’m not a perfect person, but I’ve never gossiped about anyone’s ring. I’m a diff generation though (and no lawyer )

Last edited:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I allowed my biases to really shade his purchase, although I’ve told him that going down in size and upgrading/or not down the road is perhaps a better tact. I just love a clean stone more than a super white stone, even though color is seen and inclusions rarely are in a well cut stone. But, I’m not his fiancé! I think at this point I just stop giving him my input and let the story unfold. When he first started we were looking at 1.7ct, higher color and I was the one who brought up that the future SIL has over 2ctw. Not sure why I started down that road. I’d even found a 1.9 with better color and felt like you can’t “really” say it’s 2ctw. Me oh my! I feel like I tried to help but in a way confused things and failed. The only solace is that she can have input, which many if not most young women want today. He was suggesting proposing over thanksgiving, but having stuck my nose in this far already, I suggested perhaps earlier and make a change if so chosen, bf her family sees it. Grrrrrrr. Why did I ever bring up 2ctw? HE didn’t say it, I did. I would NOT suggest he bump his budget though bc he’d saved a great amount, so I just fiddled around with ACAs until I found one that fit the bill (prob should say my bill). Thx for “listening” dear PS friends.

I don’t suggest that he show it to his friends. Everyone has different views! It’ll just confuse him further and since he has the ability to upgrade or return he should defer to his girlfriend’s wishes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results