shape
carat
color
clarity

May I see your WF ACA in color J?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all. My nephew’s ACA arrived (set in simple platinum 6 prong). We aren’t local to each other and he’s only using IPhone to share pics/videos, but he feels like he’s seeing yellow. He’s a diamond newbie, so idk that he’s “color sensitive” per se. It’s fairly large at 2.24ctw, which I know will show more hue than smaller stones. He’s NOT seeing color from the top, but the side as he’s moving it around. Against a white sheet of paper it doesn’t look yellow; but he’s filmed it in several environments inside/outside. The beauty shots haven’t arrived yet.
Can you share pics/comments of your Js?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a J so he is going to see tint in certain lighting especially from the sides.

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, but tint doesn’t mean yellow. Maybe I’m not explaining best. I’ve seen diamond color charts and J doesn’t seem yellow; maybe cream.
Open to all feedback.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
It is a J so he is going to see tint in certain lighting especially from the sides.

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue?

To me, a J is a J as well, it doesn’t matter what size or whether it is a super ideal. A great cut does not mask color for me. I thought I would be okay with J BGD signature studs because they were on my ears and I would not see them, but each time I looked in a mirror, I could see the obvious color difference between the studs and my H color pendant. That was enough for me to realize my color tolerance level was down to an H at most.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a J. I can show you pictures of it looking white and I can also show you pictures of its tint. It all depends
on the lighting and the colors around it.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a J. I can show you pictures of it looking white and I can also show you pictures of its tint. It all depends
on the lighting and the colors around it.

Can you posts pics? TY

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would assume any J would have some tint from the side. He says yellow, and you think of the color as cream. Many people don't distinguish between shades in the same way. I might call Dover White cream and someone else might call it yellowish. I think you would need to see his photos (since you can't see the stone in person). It may just be the descriptor that he is using. When you get his photos, please post them.
The-best-WHITE-paint-colors-via-A-Blissful-Nest.jpg

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A J is going to show tint, especially at that size and especially from the profile or angled view. Which is why the whole “Super Ideals face up whiter“ argument means little to me. Particularly because the wearer of a ring usually sees the stone from it’s profile or angled view vs. face up, so it’s perceived face up color is less important than its profile/angle view color, IMO. How much tint is observed and if that tint is bothersome varies from person to person.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I helped my nephew. He wanted to edge above 2ctw but I was respectful of his budget. That meant SI1 or J. I think I persuaded him to take VS/J bc I personally like a clean ER plot, but maybe an eyeclean SI in better color is way to go. My 1ct ER is an “I” color. It never looks yellow to me in any light. Oh well…. Still mulling this over.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't the real question what the wearer of the ring will think? They may not be color sensitive, and/or even if they see tint, they may not care. Is this ring a surprise or can he find out the answer to the question while in the return period?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is a 1.14 so its a lot smaller than his stone. Also, my stone is in a bezel so you cant really see the side of my stone.
Here is a GIA D pear next to my AGS J. I'm hoping it shows the tint difference.
IMG_20200412_105341475.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s it against paper. In videos it must be picking up color from environment.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With my Js, mostly I just see sparkle but the sparkle will take on a different tint depending on the lighting. I also have a .46 super
ideal J and I see absolutely no color in that one due to its size.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't the real question what the wearer of the ring will think? They may not be color sensitive, and/or even if they see tint, they may not care. Is this ring a surprise or can he find out the answer to the question while in the return period?

Yes. True. True. Yes. Yes.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the tint bother him? I'm not sure what his budget is/was but there are a couple of 2 carat H colored stones. Smaller but he
shouldn't see the tint like he does in an j.

Should he give up ACA and do expert selection?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His budget was 18k for stone

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If he feels that it's too much tint, then there are a couple of approaches:

1. Return it for an exchange to another diamond that is graded at a better color.
2. Present it as-is, with the intent to utilize WF's amazing upgrade program in the future for a special occasion, such as an anniversary.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep trying to attach the video he texted to me, without success.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he feels that it's too much tint, then there are a couple of approaches:

1. Return it for an exchange to another diamond that is graded at a better color.
2. Present it as-is, with the intent to utilize WF's amazing upgrade program in the future for a special occasion, such as an anniversary.

All good points!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d let the wearer decide. Better color and probably a smaller stone or stick with what he purchased. Again assuming the wearer can be involved.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might watch this video that Jonathan made on color if you haven't seen it. Its very helpful.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
My stone is a 1.14 so its a lot smaller than his stone. Also, my stone is in a bezel so you cant really see the side of my stone.
Here is a GIA D pear next to my AGS J. I'm hoping it shows the tint difference.
IMG_20200412_105341475.jpg

@tyty333 Your pear and setting is amazing! That D is so white :kiss2: thanks for showing us.

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
some people are so color sensitive that J would look brown to them... I learned that I cannot tolerate any color at all and need to be in the DEF range. If the wearer's preference are not known I'd steer on the side of caution

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results