shape
carat
color
clarity

Mason Kay Jade Bangle—worth the price?

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock
Ok I’m not confident I can explain well but will try. Essentially the jade should have nice polish and translucency?

When jadeite has good water or 水头 it can literally look watery...

Like this
739AAEA5-E2E0-4DD1-8AF7-7D927FD5A4FF.jpeg

Or this
A4C7A018-5F16-432C-835F-FD85DD158331.jpeg

Vs this which looks drier...
24BE6432-9DDD-4AAA-B5B6-65BDE1914134.jpeg

Ok now go back up and see the 3 posted bangles. Can you see how extremely “dry” they look in comparison? There is no sheen or translucency or glow. They are fairly ugly utility jadeite and frankly the price is shocking for the (poor) quality.

There is a chinese saying “内行看水头,外行看颜色“... which translates into something like “amateurs look at color and experts look at water”... it took me some time to understand but now that I do, I can no longer buy dry looking jadeite with nice color. Watery jade is simply much more appealing.

Let me know if this makes any sense to you. If not we buzz in the other jadeite lovers over to help.

Thank you for explaining. This was very informative.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Icy_jade, I’m also trying to understand measuring bangle size. I read you wear them on your left wrist but doesnt wearing a watch with them possibly damage them? For that reason I sized to my right wrist which due to a thumb injury I can’t “squash” it well. I’m pretty sure I could get a 57 / 58 on my left wrist but a 62 seems to be the smallest on my right wrist. Mind you I don’t know how much you are supposed to squash! ”
that carved icy jade bangle is seriously beautiful and no doubt seriously expensive. And I agree, a top imperial green jade cabochon would be my pick over any emerald as well. Magical. I watch those Sotheby’s YouTube videos just so I can ogle the multimillion dollar pieces.

Ok I just took some pics using one of my smaller bangles...

I feel like some of my hand pics look like pig trotters but ah well... so long it’s helpful.

You see how tight this one is? I think I maybe can go 0.5mm smaller but this is nearly my limit size wise. I can’t even squish 4 fingers in straight/parallel to each other...

5CE31287-8507-478D-8E21-53425634C3A8.jpeg

When I first started I wouldn’t have thought I can wear this size... you see how my knuckle cannot even go through when it’s dry? I mean, it literally hurts if I try...
A4F857EC-A2AE-467B-8CD5-2300D49D05EB.jpeg

Another angle to show how my thumb joint can’t go through
E9A2D264-EC41-4866-95D1-01C5D7F0250B.jpeg

But put a bit of hand soap (I use the foamy type but any hand soap is fine)
CB3395C0-5CA3-439D-B0CF-BE071BFB457D.jpeg

Relax your hand/fingers (if tense then it can’t go in, still happens to me sometimes when I’m trying bangles in stores then I have to consciously relax etc) and the bangle magically slides down

1E44E448-70B3-4866-B489-89C4A1C2FC7A.jpeg

See, everything fits... just about my limit as mentioned earlier
DF960F91-3FC0-473A-BAC0-31426883E2B6.jpeg

It just fits just around my wrist. Which is how bangles should be worn according to many vendors I’ve spoken to... not too loose that it slides up the arm.

My usual bangle is the white hetian which is much looser as you can see from this pic. I think the hetian is 60/61mm (my biggest bangle and I won’t go bigger as it doesn’t look so nice imo) and the green nephrite is 57.5mm or something like that.

829CA810-1C6F-435F-816F-C8A154BE84BC.jpeg

My hand actually isn’t bruised by the whole experience, so probably I can go a little smaller. Apparently it’s normal to go so small that bruising occurs (again according to vendors) but I’m not really keen to do that.

I have also been told that I have ‘soft bones’ as I can go quite small considering my (man) hands. I am hypermobile as my thumb can touch my wrist so I think that helps me in wearing bangles.

HTH!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Bron357

I don’t wear a watch but other ladies (on another bag related forum) who do will wear a spacer between their bangle and watch to protect their bangle. The spacer can be a wooden bangle, leather bracelet, silicone bracelet etc...

Example of wooden bangle

30EB9ACB-268D-4DFC-968A-CEEEC269F189.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would we do without Icy_Jade !
your photos are terrific for explaining and your hands aren’t pig trotters! I too have hyper mobile joints so should squish something smaller than I thought onto my left wrist.
my right hand, that’s another story. I had a severe dislocation in my 20s and did a lot of damage to the thumb joint. The tendon were torn and healed “short” due to scar tissue. I looked at having micro surgery but the risk was ending up with an even shorter tendon. It pretty much ended my piano playing. I can reach 11 notes left hand, right hand not even an octave now.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What would we do without Icy_Jade !
your photos are terrific for explaining and your hands aren’t pig trotters! I too have hyper mobile joints so should squish something smaller than I thought onto my left wrist.
my right hand, that’s another story. I had a severe dislocation in my 20s and did a lot of damage to the thumb joint. The tendon were torn and healed “short” due to scar tissue. I looked at having micro surgery but the risk was ending up with an even shorter tendon. It pretty much ended my piano playing. I can reach 11 notes left hand, right hand not even an octave now.

ok if you find it helpful then my very unglam squeeze fat hand into bangle pic isn’t in vain. I was slightly hesitant about posting it to be honest lol.

Sorry to hear about your old injury... can you try to wear bangles on your left hand with a spacer between your watch? Could all the squeezing aggravate your old injury?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Darn I could have saved my pig trotter images

the way to measure seems quite interesting/helpful:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You have great white bangles! Nephrite & jadeite! How do they compare? I expect different things from each jade, but have never come across a place with good examples of both in this part of Europe [a dream]

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock

I feel like some of my hand pics look like pig trotters but ah well... so long it’s helpful.

You see how tight this one is? I think I maybe can go 0.5mm smaller but this is nearly my limit size wise. I can’t even squish 4 fingers in straight/parallel to each other...

When I first started I wouldn’t have thought I can wear this size... you see how my knuckle cannot even go through when it’s dry? I mean, it literally hurts if I try...

Relax your hand/fingers (if tense then it can’t go in, still happens to me sometimes when I’m trying bangles in stores then I have to consciously relax etc) and the bangle magically slides down

It just fits just around my wrist. Which is how bangles should be worn according to many vendors I’ve spoken to... not too loose that it slides up the arm.

My usual bangle is the white hetian which is much looser as you can see from this pic. I think the hetian is 60/61mm (my biggest bangle and I won’t go bigger as it doesn’t look so nice imo) and the green nephrite is 57.5mm or something like that.

My hand actually isn’t bruised by the whole experience, so probably I can go a little smaller. Apparently it’s normal to go so small that bruising occurs (again according to vendors) but I’m not really keen to do that.

I have also been told that I have ‘soft bones’ as I can go quite small considering my (man) hands. I am hypermobile as my thumb can touch my wrist so I think that helps me in wearing bangles.

HTH!

Is it easier to get them back off than it is to put them on? Or does it need soap again? I've measured my hand using those guides before and it always comes out as needing at least a 61mm. I am hoping that I can actually squeeze into something smaller, because there's so much more choice in smaller sizes! I might just have giant man hands though...

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of really cheap (like £5) bangles to try out some different sizes.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
NFS but, oh! I do not see these much! WWW [threadjack]

@Bluegemz

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Is it easier to get them back off than it is to put them on? Or does it need soap again? I've measured my hand using those guides before and it always comes out as needing at least a 61mm. I am hoping that I can actually squeeze into something smaller, because there's so much more choice in smaller sizes! I might just have giant man hands though...

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of really cheap (like £5) bangles to try out some different sizes.

Easier to get off but I still need soap for the green one. For the white one I just use water.

Not a bad idea to get cheap bangles to try sizes since you don’t have access to a store.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You have great white bangles! Nephrite & jadeite! How do they compare? I expect different things from each jade, but have never come across a place with good examples of both in this part of Europe [a dream]

Hmm... they are quite different. I mostly prefer jadeite except for really white hetian which I love. It’s really up to individual preference I think. Just like the different varieties and color within jadeite.

Reactions: AV_

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I am loving this thread :) Like others said, the more you are used to squashing your hand the easier it gets and you can fit into smaller bangles.

My mother is a jadeite collector and I also own a few jadeite pieces. Jadeite are generally separated by their type and water. The type is usually a distinct characteristic or color, and the water is about how translucent or "watery" the jadeite is. It's harder to find bigger jadeite bangles that are good in both because of the rarity in the material. Anything carved that are damaging to the jadeite surface is considered a no no because the material itself should always shine.

The jadeite market in Asia can get very outrageous in pricing. The pieces that are purchased from the origin for 100 USD can sell for 10 times, even 100 times in malls. It's true for gemstones too but the difference is especially baffling in jadeite it seems.

ps. Emeralds and jadeite are both top of my list of favorite precious stones. Green is just my color

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I mostly prefer jadeite except for really white hetian which I love.

I certainly understand this! The way white nephrite of very fine grain looks, I'd expect to slice through easily & spill light from it; but of course, this is the hardest thing to slice through. Those are bangles to play in the snow with [rant out loud]

It’s really up to individual preference I think. Just like the different varieties and color within jadeite.

One of the bangles I saw last evening makes me quite unhappy - this stuff, I want to have ,( WWW This would match www!

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maddiewin I've spent a fair bit of money with her and she will send the goods and they are A grade (my more expensive cab was very lovely and came with a cert from the reputable HK lab that is expert in Jade)

She's not the cheapest and some of her custom made things leave a lot to be desired but I'd say she's a zillion times better than Mason Kay in terms of value.

If you're finicky about reports you can pay and get a Hong Kong report from her for any of the pieces if that'll give you peace of mind.

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock
@Maddiewin I've spent a fair bit of money with her and she will send the goods and they are A grade (my more expensive cab was very lovely and came with a cert from the reputable HK lab that is expert in Jade)

She's not the cheapest and some of her custom made things leave a lot to be desired but I'd say she's a zillion times better than Mason Kay in terms of value.

If you're finicky about reports you can pay and get a Hong Kong report from her for any of the pieces if that'll give you peace of mind.

@MellowYellow, I watched her live show and she was showing a lot of clear cabs today. I saw 2 purple rabbits, but didn’t pull the trigger

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Burmesedaze is she easy to work with? I am not sure how to phrase it.

Her goods are legit but if you run into problems forget about dealing on the up and up with them. So no, I will no longer recommend them. They are only a gobetween between sellers and buyers. I rather head to the direct seller. My advice is to wait and learn and read up more, beyond PS.

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock
Her goods are legit but if you run into problems forget about dealing on the up and up with them. So no, I will no longer recommend them. They are only a gobetween between sellers and buyers. I rather head to the direct seller. My advice is to wait and learn and read up more, beyond PS.

@Burmesedaze thank you! I will continue to watch and learn. I am reading as much as I could. It is hard to handle/see jade in person over here so I am being patient to learn what I like

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Burmesedaze thank you! I will continue to watch and learn. I am reading as much as I could. It is hard to handle/see jade in person over here so I am being patient to learn what I like

I think a happy point is if you find something you like, of a certain value and quality that will hold over time and bring enjoyment to you. And definitely at way lower pricepoints than these mainstream retailers.

Even utility jadeite is Type A.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HTH!

Omg why are your bones so soft??? *envy*

58mm is supposedly the 黄金圈口 which you can wear and most are made to that, material permitting. Lucky you!

My smallest is a 59.3 flat inner. Though I think I may fit into a 58.5 round cylindrical. Happy size is 60.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg why are your bones so soft??? *envy*

58mm is supposedly the 黄金圈口 which you can wear and most are made to that, material permitting. Lucky you!

My smallest is a 59.3 flat inner. Though I think I may fit into a 58.5 round cylindrical. Happy size is 60.

I thought 56 is the sweet spot? Anyway yeah, weird useful skill. But when I see the cheap bangles that are 54 and below, really wish I have smaller hands!

What do the Guatemalan jade look like? I thought only nephrite from that part of the world?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought 56 is the sweet spot? Anyway yeah, weird useful skill. But when I see the cheap bangles that are 54 and below, really wish I have smaller hands!

What do the Guatemalan jade look like? I thought only nephrite from that part of the world?

In China is 58. SEA maybe smaller. Envy much!

Guatemalan jadeite is aka 危料. So far the ones I can recognise or suspect are blue with snowflakes. Though I'm sure they come in other colours. I'm surprised they are now in China too. Maybe passed off as 老蓝水. Who knows!

[/URL]

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I've bought 2 53mm bangles for my Burmese jeweller at under 1000rmb each. Small. Icy. Nice colours or floating greens because SMALL. *cry* better deal than mine.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
In China is 58. SEA maybe smaller. Envy much!

Guatemalan jadeite is aka 危料. So far the ones I can recognise or suspect are blue with snowflakes. Though I'm sure they come in other colours. I'm surprised they are now in China too. Maybe passed off as 老蓝水. Who knows!

[/URL]

Oh! I actually like the Olmec blue ones. Almost bought one a few years ago

I've bought 2 53mm bangles for my Burmese jeweller at under 1000rmb each. Small. Icy. Nice colours or floating greens because SMALL. *cry* better deal than mine.

Ikr. The small ones are always such great deals. 58 is usually pricier. At least multiple times the price. More pricey than the 56. Sigh

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock

So @Burmesedaze: raising and waving my hands over here in the states! if you ever want to unload your 53 mm or 52 mm bangles, please have mercy and think of me.:love:I am your gal. I will gladly take it off of your hands.:kiss2::kiss2: I only need one for now. Hahaha. (Please dont be mad at my shamelessness. I am serious)

I don’t have soft bones like @icy_jade which is incredible and I am very envious of. My wrist circumference is 50 mm which I measure off of one of my bracelets recently. It will hurt but the pain will be worth it.

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock
my dear experts: If vendor is quoting NTD, this is not the same as RMB or Yuan right? I was doing a conversion from NTD to USD and it was significantly less than RMB to USD. I noted the vendor wrote NTD 500 yuan so that confused me. Learning math skills

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results