shape
carat
color
clarity

Mason Kay Jade Bangle—worth the price?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Trying to decide which Mason Kay bangle to buy. I like all three colors even though they look quite different from each other, although being a newbie to jade would love to hear from others if the price seems reasonable and if this is a reputable retailer (they state they sell only untreated A jade).

First is $1370:
89A3BC8E-BDF6-4676-BA05-4B13D4B40CEC.jpeg E3391047-99F8-4BFE-A3FE-45D46E52830F.jpeg C3490455-7FFE-4CC9-9DA0-5D8C0BDD5F34.jpeg

This one is $2190:
4D9F5D29-3863-469F-A376-B7945FB23351.jpeg 2F86CAA3-73CF-43C1-A6C3-DF04E7B874D5.jpeg 32E33AA1-708D-4A86-83FD-89D34AD92A99.jpeg

This one is $3150:
ED78DDCB-D22A-4C34-ABCB-61D95B18F757.jpeg 606BA8CF-8598-4718-B209-87F68F8955FB.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, I like no 2 best, I like the colour tones.
as for value, Jade is a mystery to me. Ive tried to read up, tried to study various pieces at their varying price points and tried to understand the nuances without any luck at all. 9B9AFBCF-CFA5-4F9E-B13A-AD1976FAB8B2.jpeg 51D450A3-D411-445A-9ECF-D786FEE85A6A.jpeg
i bought my jade bangle for $200, the photo of the other one is $19,800..... and the $19,600 difference is..............

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really know very little about jade, but the texture looks not so great (basically cloudy opaque with what looks like rock sediment still embedded in parts, surely making it quite brittle in those areas) and 2, 3 are clearly not solid pieces. So I would definitely have passed on all three.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 Merry Christmas!! Your bangle is gorgeous and yes, I don’t see the difference either (guess that’s an F for me lol). Gosh, buying jade is hard. I guess the bottom line is just to buy what I like in a price range I can afford...

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@qubitasaurus Thanks for your advice! I see what you mean. I think I would like a solid one piece bangle when I think more about it, so will pass for sure on 2 and 3, and not sure if I want to stick my neck (or wallet!) out there for 1, although I do love the carving pattern and the rich red/brown, but yes, I don’t see much light being able to pass through that solid hunk of a bangle.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, exactly. i love my bangle. It is the colour I wanted and in my size. I‘ve got a ton of experience with coloured gemstones and diamonds, but jade. Jade is another universe.
Im comfortable spending thousands, even tens of thousands on diamonds , rubies, sapphires and Alexandrite but Jade. I set my limit at $300 for any piece. Grade A or B or C, whatever it is.
if I could understand and recognise a $5,000 or $10,000 jade bangle as being in that price range, I’d buy it but honestly, I think it takes many years and handling many pieces to understand jade properly.
so my advice, buy what you love at a price you feel comfortable.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with the others. I would not buy any of those. I was once told by a jade vendor that carving is done on jade to mask imperfections. And that labour cost (for carving) is much much less than the cost of a good piece of jade.
Also, for future purchases, I would advise against buying new bangles with gold hinges like no 2+3. Makes me suspect that the bangles were broken previously and subsequently "salvaged" with those hinges.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Yes yes, icy_jade & YC are absolutely right about the translucency, carving & hinges. Best to get a solid piece with paper certifying it’s type “A”.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all honesty those bangles look like they are utility Jade that Mason Kay is hocking off for exorbitant amounts of money.

Perhaps you can browse this page and see if anything takes your fancy in your budget. I know @icy_jade has bought many pieces from this vendor and she knows her Jade

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Simply put. Good type A jadeite is about completeness of material. Anything with hinges, inlaid with something or carved excessively are done so to hide flaws or else lesser quality jadeite or treated with no intrinsic value.

Colour and grain density (texture simply put but isn't really so) are prized above all.

However for larger knuckles and hands, hinged bangles are easier to wear. No need to squeeze painfully into bangles.

So for everything there is a market.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the lavender one and the gold hinges play a factor in the price as well as the carving. I know absolutely nothing about jade, so I cannot comment on the price. I probably shouldn’t comment at all in this thread!! Lol!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 @icy_jade @YC @lucida818 @Burmesedaze @T L @mellowyellowgirl

Wow, thank you to everyone for the incredible amount of knowledge! I’m grateful that you all helped convinced to me to save my $$$; I’ll be passing on the Mason Kay bangles.

I did look at a few bangles this morning on Ultimate Jade (good vendor???). Let me know what you experts think! PS I can fit into the 52 mm one but 57 mm although a little big (I have a bangle that measures 57.5) I can still wear.

Choice 1: $220
DF1E9714-68C0-49BC-88BE-ECC47A21359C.jpeg

Choice 2: $288
D370C692-AF19-4C0A-A13E-04D9310597A3.jpeg

Choice 3: $180
CE43CFBD-4280-4E4B-955F-5627D33FB4F5.jpeg

Choice 4: $280

985D6C80-6FF8-429C-B5D7-7C1BB588B00B.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Or, if someone sees something that is good value for the quality and under $1000 and from a good vendor, do share a link!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I think if it is your first time, ultimate jadeite is not bad. I was happy. Nandar sent loads of photos and it is a legit piece of jadeite.

Just, I think you can get better value cheaper prices on Facebook shows. But I think these shows come with the caveat that you check carefully regarding cracks and grains.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is very educational. I will say that I still like the carved jade, even after reading here (did not know that honestly!) I wouldn't mind a carved piece to have. @icy_jade can you explain what you mean by "it looks dry"? That might take an entire thread by itself but I truly don't know what that is!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok I’m not confident I can explain well but will try. Essentially the jade should have nice polish and translucency?

When jadeite has good water or 水头 it can literally look watery...

Like this
739AAEA5-E2E0-4DD1-8AF7-7D927FD5A4FF.jpeg

Or this
A4C7A018-5F16-432C-835F-FD85DD158331.jpeg

Vs this which looks drier...
24BE6432-9DDD-4AAA-B5B6-65BDE1914134.jpeg

Ok now go back up and see the 3 posted bangles. Can you see how extremely “dry” they look in comparison? There is no sheen or translucency or glow. They are fairly ugly utility jadeite and frankly the price is shocking for the (poor) quality.

There is a chinese saying “内行看水头,外行看颜色“... which translates into something like “amateurs look at color and experts look at water”... it took me some time to understand but now that I do, I can no longer buy dry looking jadeite with nice color. Watery jade is simply much more appealing.

Let me know if this makes any sense to you. If not we buzz in the other jadeite lovers over to help.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok now go back up and see the 3 posted bangles. Can you see how extremely “dry” they look in comparison? There is no sheen or translucency or glow. They are fairly ugly utility jadeite and frankly the price is shocking for the (poor) quality.

:clap::clap::clap:

This is what I REALLY wanted to say but tried to skirt around a bit.

Frankly non of the jade people I go to would sell this stuff and they would probably send it over for free (minus the gold joints cuz cost of gold and all).

IMO you can buy a $200 or $300 bangle and just send it to GIA if you are nervy about getting fake jade. It would look better than the hideous Mason Kay stuff and cost a hell of a lot less.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh, but I do love icy glutinous coloured stuff. I am not a water water jadeite only person.

Just. No dry jadeite. Dry is big no no for me. And not at those prices from Mason Kay.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
:clap::clap::clap:

This is what I REALLY wanted to say but tried to skirt around a bit.

Umm was I that brutal? Honestly wasn’t trying to be nasty or anything...

@Pinkmartini87
What criteria do you have for the bangle apart from size? of the 4 I like 2 and 4 better than the others. They are way better than the MK ones but I’m a boring no splotchy patterns person so when it comes to jadeite with patterns I’m not the best person to ask. Do you have a bigger budget? Do you want to get one expensive one for a start or is fine to go with learner bangles for now? If you go with UJ (or any Singapore based seller) get a cert from Nanyang (NGI) stating is natural type A jade and you should be fine.

Also do you like D bangles or round bangles? eg I only like round bangles, not the D shaped ones. You see how the inside for this is rounded? Some people prefer D shaped ones so really varies/personal preference. Also, I like thin round ones as they are more comfy to wear. The one below is considered the traditional thick round type and is heavier and knocks on stuff more easily.
7FF6845D-4037-464F-916A-18C7F2AE27BA.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade no you're not brutal at all. I'm really glad you posted cuz it made me braver to have my say.

We definitely all have different tastes and I try to respect that but there's a point where I start to feel guilty that someone might hand thousands of dollars over to Mason Kay for something that is only worth a few hundred or even less.

Honestly I've browsed Mason Kay's website and a lot of the stuff is shocking. Stuff that is worth $200-$300 hocked for thousands of dollars. It is a rort!

It's fine to like anything you like (goodness knows I have bizzare tastes, have you seen my Jade apples that look like tomatoes???) but definitely only pay a fair price for it.

Lol sorry for the rampage!!! I'm not a mean person I promise!!!!! Mason Kay prices really offend me to the highest degree!!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade no you're not brutal at all. I'm really glad you posted cuz it made me braver to have my say.

We definitely all have different tastes and I try to respect that but there's a point where I start to feel guilty that someone might hand thousands of dollars over to Mason Kay for something that is only worth a few hundred or even less.

Honestly I've browsed Mason Kay's website and a lot of the stuff is shocking. Stuff that is worth $200-$300 hocked for thousands of dollars. It is a rort!

It's fine to like anything you like (goodness knows I have bizzare tastes, have you seen my Jade apples that look like tomatoes???) but definitely only pay a fair price for it.

Lol sorry for the rampage!!! I'm not a mean person I promise!!!!! Mason Kay prices really offend me to the highest degree!!!

Yeah... I mean, I see all sorts of pricing on PS and some that really shock me since I’m used to lower Asian (?) pricing but the MK jadeite is like a whole other level.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok I had a quick look at UJ and these caught my eye

https://etsy.me/2SvV7BO

75A47555-5DF8-4D09-B487-3F8379FA0EA1.jpeg

https://etsy.me/2Qr1a7U
BDFB8FBC-B0FE-4010-8847-D1A53FEDCC59.jpeg

also this from another SG seller
FF98BA9D-2806-4CFA-88D1-9B35BF1602D9.jpeg

So I think the first and third one has better polish but lavenders are usually more dry anyway. And really cannot rec any bangles with patterns. Am so not a pattern person. But I like black hence the 3rd one. But in general stay away from dark/black splotches or bangles with black spots etc as not considered desirable.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I’m not confident I can explain well but will try. Essentially the jade should have nice polish and translucency?

When jadeite has good water or 水头 it can literally look watery...

Like this
739AAEA5-E2E0-4DD1-8AF7-7D927FD5A4FF.jpeg

Or this
A4C7A018-5F16-432C-835F-FD85DD158331.jpeg

Vs this which looks drier...
24BE6432-9DDD-4AAA-B5B6-65BDE1914134.jpeg

There is a chinese saying “内行看水头,外行看颜色“... which translates into something like “amateurs look at color and experts look at water”... it took me some time to understand but now that I do, I can no longer buy dry looking jadeite with nice color. Watery jade is simply much more appealing.

Let me know if this makes any sense to you. If not we buzz in the other jadeite lovers over to help.

:appl:
I read this and it clicked... OMG this TOTALLY makes sense!! Ok so these are amazing visuals that someone like me would really understand. Now to see this in person. I do believe you've sent me on a little hunt for jade now....lol But it does throw some of my thinking on its head.

Thank you so much for taking that time, I and I'm sure many others appreciate it very much!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Found these from an FB seller I no longer get from.

Type A. No hinges, but useful price comparison.

1099 rmb is for both bangles.

Screenshot_20191228-012044.png Screenshot_20191228-012034.png

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, GREAT thread, thank you all for pitching in to help!!!

Im planning to visit some jade vendors in person post the holidays so I can get a better sense of what I want. Keep you all posted!

YC

Brilliant_Rock
@Pinkmartini87 , nothing beats seeing type A jades IRL. When you have seen enough, you will understand what we are talking about.

@Arcadian , there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying carved jades. The nicely done ones are pieces of art. The important part is that you pay a fair price and not overlook other factors (eg water etc).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG am I starting to understand?
Part of the problem is I’m not seeing the desirable sort of jadeite on eBay or Etsy. And photos can be difficult to interpret.
my jade bangles are not watery more dry, but they are a colour I love, they fit my big hand (63mm and 65mm) and weren’t overpriced ($135 and $200). So I’m very happy with them.
i would love love love an icy jade bangle in soft green and mauve. When I save up a few thousands (maybe many thousands) I’ll seek advice from the pros here! 88124204-0AB6-4260-B50A-391E7C0C9BC9.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
:appl:
I read this and it clicked... OMG this TOTALLY makes sense!! Ok so these are amazing visuals that someone like me would really understand. Now to see this in person. I do believe you've sent me on a little hunt for jade now....lol But it does throw some of my thinking on its head.

Thank you so much for taking that time, I and I'm sure many others appreciate it very much!

I am glad it helped. Beautiful jadeite rivals other gemstones... I’ll choose a beautiful imperial jadeite cab over a beautiful emerald any time. They absolutely glow and omg the color.

@Pinkmartini87 , nothing beats seeing type A jades IRL. When you have seen enough, you will understand what we are talking about.

@Arcadian , there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying carved jades. The nicely done ones are pieces of art. The important part is that you pay a fair price and not overlook other factors (eg water etc).

saw this on IG a few days ago. So stunning. I would buy in a heartbeat if affordable and in my size.
9972B7C9-1ABD-4034-9AB4-E3A855CB4B4C.jpeg 0E6555FD-D7C9-41B1-81FC-C74CC6841635.jpeg

so yeah beautiful carved jadeite bangles exist

OMG am I starting to understand?
Part of the problem is I’m not seeing the desirable sort of jadeite on eBay or Etsy. And photos can be difficult to interpret.
my jade bangles are not watery more dry, but they are a colour I love, they fit my big hand (63mm and 65mm) and weren’t overpriced ($135 and $200). So I’m very happy with them.
i would love love love an icy jade bangle in soft green and mauve. When I save up a few thousands (maybe many thousands) I’ll seek advice from the pros here! 88124204-0AB6-4260-B50A-391E7C0C9BC9.jpeg

I think you have to go to the specialty jadeite sellers. If you know Chinese I think Taobao will have lots. It’s like the eBay of China. Else fb sellers as the other ladies here go to. I also go to a few B&M sellers that sell online just for ease of purchase and assurance of return etc.

The difficulty for you I think is bangle size... can you go smaller? Else choices will be very limited. I think the beginner problem (which I had too) was fear of squeezing into a too small bangle. But once I got over that, I find that wearing bangles is fairly easy. Personally I prefer soap - I can go smaller (and less painfully) with soap vs any other method like plastic bag or hand lotion. The right way is to go as small as you can so that the bangle sits closer to your wrist rather than being loose.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Icy_jade, I’m also trying to understand measuring bangle size. I read you wear them on your left wrist but doesnt wearing a watch with them possibly damage them? For that reason I sized to my right wrist which due to a thumb injury I can’t “squash” it well. I’m pretty sure I could get a 57 / 58 on my left wrist but a 62 seems to be the smallest on my right wrist. Mind you I don’t know how much you are supposed to squash! ”
that carved icy jade bangle is seriously beautiful and no doubt seriously expensive. And I agree, a top imperial green jade cabochon would be my pick over any emerald as well. Magical. I watch those Sotheby’s YouTube videos just so I can ogle the multimillion dollar pieces.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results