shape
carat
color
clarity

Martha Stewart Everyday Paint Colors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh heather please post a pic of it on a sunny day!! that looks great!

i really do love dorset gold from what i saw on the home forum, but then i think it was on here (or maybe another thread on there) that people were saying it didn't look that great etc.

i am really torn between chestertown buff and dorset gold. this guest room is super sunny in the morning and bright the whole rest of the day which means that the paint on the walls gets lightened anyway, so i wouldn't mind a slightly darker color like DG that can be really warm and inviting at night but still bright and lively during the day.

it looks to me like the CB is a bit more mustardy yellow and the DG is a bit more brownish gold more like a darker dijon mustard? am i getting this right? hehe.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I love that color Heather!!

Mara, I went to get some of the BM color samplers today in both CB & DG. I''ve been looking for paint color for our dining room (and considering repainting the living room that I just painted back in September...) and think something like either of these might be perfect. I''ve got the little color pots in front of me and - only being able to judge by their ''wet'' appearance - I think CB just appears to be somewhat more muted than the DG, or vice versa, the DG seems more saturated than CB. I would think if you''re looking for a color in a very bright room then the DG may be your preference - the CB might get washed out in a lot of sunlight and appear more ''yellowy'' if that makes sense? They actually complement each other quite well to the point that I wonder if I could use one in the LR and one in the DR... Hmmmmm...

Originally I was thinking of using a Sherwin Williams color called Totally Tan that I''d used in my old house in the master bedroom & a back/spare living room and loved - it was so great in that house but has not translated successfully in this house - I don''t know why, but it just doesn''t work... I painted the inside of FIs closet with it and was like, blech!! So sad...

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Weird - Sherwin Williams makes a ''Martha Stewart Signature Line" .. but honestly.. If this same store carries dutch boy.. its probably not the best quality.. Dutch Boy is not great... They sell it at walmart.. and VALU here (VALU here sounds similar to the type of store you describe.. but they generally sell lower end stuff)...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Melissa, this Everyday line is not the same as the Signature, apparently various manuf''s carry her lines but varying colors and most likely quality as well! I also found that you can take pretty much any swatch to BM and they will match the color in their paint which is a huge positive in terms of quality you want in a color you like from another line.

Anyway, Orchard is a small hardware store that is popular here in CA but I have never loved them for paints...I was just there buying some plants with Greg (and he was getting some nuts/bolts) and picked up swatches to kind of galvanize myself into action.
2.gif

Tonite I went to a trunk party for a clothing line, and the gal who hosted had BM Desert Tan on a bunch of her living room and hallway walls which was like a warmish mustardy gold. I really liked it too. Damn!!! So torn on that one last color!!

TeeBee can you take a picture of your comparison of DG and SB? So curious on that one, I''d love to see them side by side in the same light!

I plan to clean up the office and guest room this weekend so that we can prep the rooms to hopefully paint next week or next weekend!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 1:30:00 PM
Author: Mara
oh heather please post a pic of it on a sunny day!! that looks great!
The weather forecast is calling for rain, rain and more rain!!! I guess spring has sprung!

I will just say that when it is sunny, the colour looks brighter and even more beautiful. At night I love how it looks as well - very cozy and warm. The room it is in has 13 foot high ceilings so there is a lot of paint visible.

There are so many great colours out there now it must be so hard to choose. Good luck!

Heather

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are two Dorset Gold pictures from THF...this is the gal''s kitchen which looks like it gets bright light. I love the star off to the right so I am thinking if I do DG for the guest room I will get those Pottery Barn bronze stars for over the bed! I think that''d be a lovely complement to the color? What do you guys think?

BM Dorset Gold Kitchen Light.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is her mudroom in DG in the same house, no light in this room so it looks a little darker but still beautiful, alot more dark brownish gold here. These two pictures is why I am leaning so strongly towards DG!

BM Dorset Gold Mudroom no light.jpg

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I like the color in both rooms. It''s mustardy (is that a word) enough for the kitchen but not too dark and dark enough (due to lack of light) for the mud room.

And I think the star would look fabulous the way you described it for a guest room.

BTW: I love that kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow!!! I love the DG in both of those rooms!! I think I like it because it is saturated enough to satisfy my craving for color, but not too overpowering. And I love that it looks so great w/ white trim as well as different shades of wood stained trim. I think that is what is tripping me up in our house - I've always picked colors for rooms with white trim and now that I'm working with wood trim in some of the rooms of our new house things just don't look right to me... I think that the color I chose for our living room is all wrong, and especially with our wood trim, it looks very cold and blah, kinda like the walls are sick...

Anyhow, here is a picture I just took of the DG on the left and CB on the right. The lighting is not great - I went outside to the driveway at about 30 minutes before sunset. Plus, it's been overcast all day (WE GOT RAIN last night!!!! Sorry, but I was just so excited to hear thunder... seriously, we haven't seen actual rain here in months, very exciting!!!).

DorsetGold&ChestertownBuff.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
teebee you rock!!!

hmmmm .... its funny because i love the color of CB ''in the can'' but will it look like that on a wall? probably much lighter.

so then it stands to reason that while DG looks really dark in the can it would be lighter on the walls with less saturation happening. gosh..decisions.

what are you thinking of doing? i agree DG looks great in that kitchen against the ''wood trim''. our trim is like an off white, not pure white, so i guess it would blend okay?

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I think either would look great with an off-white trim. In fact, I also grabbed some off white paint chips in the event that I can talk FI into letting me paint the living room trim
31.gif
and they look great w/ Navajo White (I think? The paint chips are downstairs).

I love stained wood - the richness and warmth, but we have hardwood floors, and all of my furniture is wood so I think it's overload to also have all of the window trim, crown moulding, baseboards, & front door in stained wood. I think an white/off-white trim would really make our living room seem brighter and more clean/crisp.

I'm the same way w/ the colors in the can & when I saw the paint chips at the store - DG just looked so bold to me, but in my experience, most colors *not all* lighten somewhat once dry & I'm thinking that DG on the walls in a sunny room will probably look much like the CB appears while wet in the can.

Right now, I'm thinking of using DG in our dining room & maybe CB in our living room... I also found a Pratt & Lambert color that I really like called Maple Sugar, so it is also in contention w/ CB for the living room... One dilemna I'm having is that I'd like to replace our sofa in the next year - So I want to get an idea what I want 'sofa-wise' before I totally decide on a color for living room. FI is going to croak when I tell him I want to repaint the LR!! Oh well - a few weekends ago I installed a ceiling fan in the living room while he was out of town, so he owes me some 'patience points' for that!!
28.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,

Did you decide on a paint colors yet? I''m nosy
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 11:55:36 AM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*
Mara,

Did you decide on a paint colors yet? I''m nosy
2.gif
Ha Ha Danielle..wellllll...I am still thinking BUT I think I will do the two RH greens in my office and guest bathroom and still torn between DG and CB in the guest bedroom but thinking more DG than CB right now.

Now just have to DO IT...which will hopefully be in a week or so. I''m currently agonizing over the guest room and DECOR much like mingagreen''s thread...I almost have it all nailed down but you know how paranoid you get when you think you will put it all together and hate it? That''s where I''m at now. I''ve had excellent advice from friends though so I think it should all come together fairly nicely!!

I will take before and afters so that my fellow PS home decor/paint nuts can see the results. Greg''s sister rescheduled her trip to end of April so I have a bit of time but not too much!!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you can go wrong with either DB or CB - they are both really pretty & neutral. I can''t wait to see Before & Afters. It''s like a home makeover show
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAH well as fate would have it, I went to do wall-touch-up today on our main house walls which are a pale taupe and get banged up alot so I do a roamthehouse touch up once every few months...and I opened up our paint can and it was all hardened over from not being sealed properly last time. So I took it over to BM and had them match it, they had some issues with matching because I guess our painter had them mix it originally, but appears to have added something on the job (I think I remember him telling me he added white) and so I had to come back later and let them work on matching it exactly.

But while I was there I talked to a very helpful guy regarding my upcoming projects and my paint agony, and I went away with a bunch of 8x8 paint color chips and a sample 2 oz can to check things out on my three potential project rooms. Went back to get my mixed paint a few hours later after spending some time with the swatches, and also talked over my results with the guy again and came home with 2 more options.

So here's where things stand! I'm sure you all are DYING to know...haha probably not but I like writing it down so here it is. For the bathroom, I thought I was bringing home the BM equivalent of RH's sycamore green (BM makes RH's colors and some of them were BM colors before RH branded them, this is one of them) which is BM Moonshadow 1516. Well I get it home and I realize I love it in the bathroom but it looks a little darker than I thought, well it was actually 1517 but when I brought home 1516 I don't like it as much as 1517! 1516/RH SG is more of a pale icy green whereas the 1517 is just a shade darker but more warm to the eyes. So I think that the BM guy's mistake is my gain!

In the office, I brought home HC109 Sussex Green and 2142-30 Mountain Moss..both are dark greenish gray/olive/sage colors. Ended up seeming a bit too dark so I went back and looked at HC110 which is Wethersfield Moss and I think this may be the winner! It's medium dark but in our 10x10 room I think that it will just be dark enough to be commanding with the dark mahogany PB furniture, but not so dark it ends up being a green black hole. He also told me that since I really did like the Mountain Moss's dark olive tones but it was too dark that they could mix it at 75% and keep the same ratios if I wanted THAT green but just a lighter shade. So we'll see. But the HC110 has a small 2oz sample available (the other colors didnt) so I MAY just go with that because then I can test it first on the wall and I know that the 8x8 swatch already looks good against the wall, furniture, blinds etc.

Last but so not least, the current bane of my decorating existence, the guest bedroom! I'm tormented by this room because there are so many options and so many directions I could go in. I thought for a whiel about putting the same light sage green as I'm doing in the bathroom next to it (instead of the brownish gold that I was thinking originally) but when I got to BM and saw the colors the warm sandy golds were just breathtaking so I decided to stick to my original plan and not get all carried away with too much green. I told him I was looking at Dorset Gold and Shelbourne Buff. I realized SB was the wrong shade so I nixed it right there. So I brought home Dorset Gold and Roasted Sesame Seed 8x8 swatches to see in the room. DG seemed too 'country gold' if that makes sense, I'm thinking fields of flowers gold here...and the RSS was too peachy but definitely more of a less county shade. I was perusing the colors and was like hey wait, Chestertown Buff sounds familiar and it's right near the Dorset Gold and looks potentially good. WELL DUH. I had accidentally said Shelbourne Buff to Tom (my new friend at BM) earlier but I meant Chestertown Buff! Damn buffs! So the CB was what I wanted to see with DG all along. DORK! So I bought the 2 oz sample of this one too because I had already bought DG and figured I could do a hands on comparison of this room since it seemed to be the toughest.

So I painted two areas of the room in small patches to see what they looked like in bright and dark situations....as soon as they dry I will take some photos..
5.gif
I may start a new thread..we'll see!!

Finally decor is starting to feel fun. Kinda. I'm still agonizing over the duvet and colors to use in the guest bedroom with the color I choose....why is it so hard to find a green duvet that isn't MINT green or $400? WHY WHY WHY?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is one right up against the window blinds...the top is CB and the bottom is DG. the DG is more orangey gold and the CB is more neutral sandy gold. the DG is too much for me, so I think the CB is the way to go...

CB DG compare b.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here in a corner near the doorway which is pretty dark, on the bottom it's DG on the left and CB in the corner and then up top i put a bit of DG to see it against a vertical molding, but again for me CB is calling out to me....also shows it against the molding for some contrast (i seriously need help with the whole painting a straight line molding thing!!)...through the doorway to the right there you can see the hallway wall color which is that soft taupe that the 3/4 of the house is done in (all main/living areas). so i think that the CB works nicely with that soft taupe also, it's still neutral.

for the guest bedroom i want to do bronze stars over the bed and a greenish/thyme comforter of some sort, i am in love with the RH pintucked items in thyme and chocolate but they are like $500 for a duvet and shams...they had them on ebay and i was a fool not to buy them then for $250...so im hoping they will come back. the idea is to have the walls be a warm golden sand and then the bed to throw green color and to have pictures framed in dark mahogany/bronze frames and use accents of color/green in the room like fresh flowers and maybe a bronze lamp with a pale linen lampshade for some texture etc. we'll see what i can find!

CB DG compare a.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
no contest. hands down cb. the others are much too orange imo...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara- those bronze stars are on sale right now so you better snatch one up before they are sold out!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, absolutely the CB - I loved the DG in other pics, but it appears very saturated in your room. You are soooo right, green bedding is very difficult. But it will look perfect once you''re done. I have a sheet set from PB that I adore w/ shades of green, olive, blue, taupe... have one of those silk/velvet quilts in a nice (not minty) green but have never been able to find the perfect duvet (in any color) & I have looked EVERYWHERE. Generally, we just use the quilt as a blanket and have an uncovered comforter on top but it looks terribly unfinished to me... Oh, keep looking on ebay, I see the RH duvet you are talking about fairly often.

As of right now, I''ve got about 10 different paint samples on my living room wall... everything from BenMoore, Pratt & Lambert, and Sherwin Williams... I at least convinced FI that it''s okay to paint all of the trim, which is a tremendous help in picking out wall color, but trying to decide on a wall color without knowing what we will eventually have as furniture is proving to be a nightmare...
20.gif
Incidentally, the DG looked way too yellowy in our living room as well and I''ve had to nix that from the selection. CB is still in the running but appears very washed out in this room - but it''s hard to tell w/out the trim painted, so that should probably be my next step - I''m afraid of making a decision until that''s done.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 9:13:37 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Mara- those bronze stars are on sale right now so you better snatch one up before they are sold out!
And Gordman''s has some decent knock-offs for cheap. They don''t have stores in CA, but just in case anyone else is looking for some...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually found some stars on eBay that look REALLY close to the PB ones and even some of her feedback is comparisons to the PB where people said they look better....and they are something like $100 with shipping for 3 stars for over the bed, one large 29" and two small 19" ones. The PB ones are on eBay too but it''d be more like $200 for all 3, one large 34" and two small 21"...also I think that these slightly smaller ones work better for my room, I was a little afraid that the PB ones would be too oversized for the bed and room which is not a large room. I don''t want them to overpower the wall.

TeeBee I was actually thinking about doing something like one of the PB green silk quilts that they have on eBay right now, the circular or the other pattern..they are running about $170 for the queen quilt and 2 quilted shams or similar so not too bad, and I have a white down blanket from Overstock, so I thought I could always get darker sage green sateen sheets and then put the white blanket duvet on top and then fold the quilt at the bottom of the bed and do more of a crisp white and green layered look...but it''s not what I really am in love with right now, the bedding is just so darn hard and such a committment. Shades of green too. The RH ones seem closest to what I want but so darn expensive, I will just keep watching eBay.

Funny but DG looks REALLY orangey in the room, Greg even noticed it, he liked CB much better...in our room it looks more like the mud room picture I posted up above than in the kitchen picture I posted. So CB it is seemingly...it even still seems like a strong color this morning when I looked at it in bright sunlight. Very interesting!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2006 7:50:23 PM
(i seriously need help with the whole painting a straight line molding thing!!)...
mara,
get as close as you (safely) can with a roller then a really good trim brush. with the darker colors against light moulding, it is imperitive that you get a good line where the two meet. i like to use a small (1") stiff bristled brush to make that clean line. the best place to find that final ''trim'' brush is in the art department. if you''re not super anal about that perfect line, then you can skip the small brush and just use the regular 2-3" trim brush to ''pull'' the paint in a straight line.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 2:11:13 PM
Author: belle

Date: 3/18/2006 7:50:23 PM
(i seriously need help with the whole painting a straight line molding thing!!)...
mara,
get as close as you (safely) can with a roller then a really good trim brush. with the darker colors against light moulding, it is imperitive that you get a good line where the two meet. i like to use a small (1'') stiff bristled brush to make that clean line. the best place to find that final ''trim'' brush is in the art department. if you''re not super anal about that perfect line, then you can skip the small brush and just use the regular 2-3'' trim brush to ''pull'' the paint in a straight line.
I use the ''pulling'' method Belle is talking about with a 1.5"-2" brush after several attempts using painters tape to achieve a straight line had failed. Now, I never use tape or tape anything off and it works fine. I''m fairly anal about the straight line, but I have a steady hand & keep damp cloths close to me in case I go off track.

However, when I had the exterior of my house painted, I asked the guy what I was doing wrong with the painters tape (because paint would run up underneath it & I spent so much time doing touch ups that it wasn''t worth it). He said that he uses caulk up against the edge of the tape - essentially, puts a little caulk *that can be painted* on the end of his finger and runs it along the edge of the tape, which seals up any areas that aren''t completely stuck down to the surface of the wall or moulding, lets it dry, then paints... once dry pulls the tape off slowly and voila, a perfect edge. I tried it on a small area when I was painting the living room last August and it was perfect (but I''m too impatient to tape everything now that I''ve got a good straight line technique w/out it). But, if I was having problems getting a straight line, I would do it, worked so well.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I did an entire room by myself and I have base molding and picture molding. Painters tape worked wonderfully. make sure you rub it with your hands when it's on to get a good stick. I used a super small baby roller to do the edge with very little paint... looks great. I don't like to use a brush because anal people like me could see the difference in paint stroke/application...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes i would like to know the painters tricks!! when we had our house done it was PERFECT and they did the whole thing in a day...of course it was empty to make it easy but their lines were spot on. i am the worst with straight lines along the edges as you can see in my shaky hand application of the samples...i will have to see which method works the best...in the past doing tape did not work 100% foolproof for me either.
40.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 4:04:57 PM
Author: moremoremore
I did an entire room by myself and I have base molding and picture molding. Painters tape worked wonderfully. make sure you rub it with your hands when it''s on to get a good stick. I used a super small baby roller to do the edge with very little paint... looks great. I don''t like th use a bruch because anal people like me could see the difference in paint stroke/application...
I think I''m just retarded with painters tape - I''ve rubbed it down against the surface until my fingers were smoking but to no avail, never got a straight line using tape until adding the caulk like my painter suggested, but he also said that using very little paint is key - too much paint and some of it gets forced up between the tape and the surface. I''ve not had a problem with a difference in stroke/application marks - but right after I pull the brush along to make the straight line, I go over the area very carefully with a roller in order to make it all congruent. Sounds tedious... but taping is just as tedious for me.

Also, while I can paint a straight line on the wall against the baseboard, moulding, or whatnot, I cannot do the opposite: paint a straight line on the door moulding up against the wall. So, if I were painting both the trim & the walls, I must do the trim first, then the walls. I believe that is the order recommended by the pros but... I don''t always do things the way I''m ''sposed to if I find a way that works better for me.

Haha, I just called a friend that used to paint interiors... he is always like "what takes you so damn long painting? i could have your whole house done in 2 days!" He reminded me that many/most professionals use professional grade paint sprayers... Aha!!! I didn''t think about this but yes, paint sprayers generally result in better/more even coverage with less mess/overspray & so masking and prep time is reduced... I told him if it would only take him 2 days then he should get his a$$ over here - oh, but it''s picking a color that takes me so long...
20.gif
He also said that sometimes the surface that you are applying the tape to could make a difference, the tape may adhere better to flat paints than to satin or semi-gloss...
40.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Paint sprayer+ moremoremore = big trouble LOL....
Yes, I totally agree, the prep sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The painting is the easy part :) But even if it doesn''t come out perfect, who is going to see? No one really. We are probably much more critical...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I have always had a problem with my paint tape sticking.. when I peel it off I end up peeling up the paint that next to it.. any ideas... BTW... I do not like the orangy one as well either.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m behind on your home decorating Mara. It''s weird - on my work computer, I absolutely love CB way more than DG. However, on my home computer, I like DG better. I know you can''t tell on the monitor, but I do hear what you''re saying about DG since I had a sample of it in my house for quite a while. I''m sure CB will turn out beautifully though - all the pictures I have seen of it are so nice!

I am helpless when it comes to painting a straight line. I''ve gotten better just by practice & I generally don''t use any painters tape except for the bottom mouldings - I definitely need it there!

Have fun painting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results