shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise setting advice

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
Hi, long time lurker here. I love seeing everyone else's projects and am finally about to embark on one of my own. I recently purchased a marquise diamond and am looking for setting ideas. I had originally thought east-west was the was to go but having cut out the dimensions of the stone and stuck them to my finger I realised I prefer it orientated north-south. The dimensions of the stone are 12.9 x 7.44 x 2.79. It is an L colour. Would a platinum setting with claw prongs and pave on the shank (top only) look good or is the colour of the stone going to be a factor? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? Any advice much appreciated!

106809762_116499099903607_5031874771867239804_n2.jpg

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Hi! It really depends on what you like. The stone may look a little "warm" in a platinum setting, but if your not color sensitive it might not be too noticable. I suggest putting a silver/wg/plat chain or ring around it to see if you like the color combo.

Mine is a .25ct j/k and I don't really see any yellow except when looking at the sides. But yours is much larger and so that might change things.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like an antique/vintage look? I think lower colored stones look at home in a vintage look vs a modern look.
I also really like slit shanks on marquise...something to consider.

If you google "vintage marquise ring" some lovely settings come up.

I think you should go with unplated white gold metal.

Last edited:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love a marquise in a thin bezel!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that spready marquise, it’s absolutely stunning! Are you going to have Alex do the setting? If so I really like his selection of alloys is impressive and I would see what he has to offer, to me your stone has a lovely creamy hue and I would do something with a little rose or very very light yellow good mix.

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
As far as the pave diamonds, the jeweler can use L colored melee to match, some people like the contrast and use really white melee. Depends on the look you like.

You can see if you like it (or can even tell a lot) by placing a white color diamond next to it. Or a CZ, moss, or white sapphire. Using matching melee will minimize the color.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I have one K colored stone in a rose gold pave setting, a j colored stone in white gold with a halo, and another k that I haven't received yet in a white gold solitaire setting. I like the little bit of warmth I see, almost a champagne look. It does lend a vintage flair to it, and my favorite of them so far is the k colored radiant in rose gold.

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
Hi! It really depends on what you like. The stone may look a little "warm" in a platinum setting, but if your not color sensitive it might not be too noticable. I suggest putting a silver/wg/plat chain or ring around it to see if you like the color combo.

Mine is a .25ct j/k and I don't really see any yellow except when looking at the sides. But yours is much larger and so that might change things.

Thanks for your reply, that's a great idea. I'm in the UK and the stone is with Alex Park in NY, so I can't personally have a look at it but I could ask Alex to send a couple of pictures when he has a moment :). I do notice colour in stones but I have a couple of lower coloured stones that I love. They are currently set very simply in white gold but there are no side stones involved.

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
Do you like an antique/vintage look? I think lower colored stones look at home in a vintage look vs a modern look.
I also really like slit shanks on marquise...something to consider.

If you google "vintage marquise ring" some lovely settings come up.

I think you should go with unplated white gold metal.

I do like vintage styles for marquise. I've had a look online and it's quite overwhelming.... sooooo much choice!

Unplated white gold sounds lovely

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
Love a marquise in a thin bezel!

So do I, the options are endless :)

I love that spready marquise, it’s absolutely stunning! Are you going to have Alex do the setting? If so I really like his selection of alloys is impressive and I would see what he has to offer, to me your stone has a lovely creamy hue and I would do something with a little rose or very very light yellow good mix.

Thank you for the compliment :) I loved following your marquise journey with David Klass. Your ring is gorgeous! Yes, I've asked Alex to make the setting. It would be so much better to be able to see the stone in real life prior to deciding a setting but that's not feasible as I am in the UK. It would also be more expensive to set it here.

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
As far as the pave diamonds, the jeweler can use L colored melee to match, some people like the contrast and use really white melee. Depends on the look you like.

You can see if you like it (or can even tell a lot) by placing a white color diamond next to it. Or a CZ, moss, or white sapphire. Using matching melee will minimize the color.

I hadn't thought of matching the melee to minimize the contrast, that's a great suggestion. I'm considering tapered baguettes as an option too.

I have one K colored stone in a rose gold pave setting, a j colored stone in white gold with a halo, and another k that I haven't received yet in a white gold solitaire setting. I like the little bit of warmth I see, almost a champagne look. It does lend a vintage flair to it, and my favorite of them so far is the k colored radiant in rose gold.

They sound lovely; do you have any pictures of them?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results