shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise & Idealscope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Hey there,

I am a first time diamond purchaser and have been getting quite an education from this forum. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge.

Here is my question. I am trying to decide between a couple of marquise stones for an engagement ring and have requested Idealscope images. What should I be looking for when I get those? I know the basics for IS images, but most of the discussion and pics are for rounds. I assume any fancy cut, no matter how good, will have light leakage somewhere, but where is it acceptable in a marquise and where do you want to avoid?

After searching around the forum, I didn''t find anything that talked about this. I know that there are many of you that will be able to give excellent advice if the images are posted, but am unsure if I will be able to get images posted in a timely manner due to travel. If someone has an IS image of a well cut marquise and could post it with an explanation, that would be great.

Thanks,
Jay

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No such thing as a marquise that is leakage free.
An ASET is much better than ideal-scope for fancy shapes, but much harder for many people to take the photo''s - the IS website tells you (them) how.

There is also some examples of stones there - at least 1 marquise i think

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link Garry, I hadn''t seen that yet.

If I am reading the page on fancies right, a well cut marquise will have small points of leakage scattered, and if the bow tie effect is bad, it will definitely show?!?

Does JamesAllen do ASET images? I have been mainly looking at stones on that site in order to see pictures and get a better idea of what I like/want.

This whole ring buying thing is much more involved than I first thought, but I am actually enjoying the learning and comparing process.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 11:01:39 AM
Author: jet2ks
Thanks for the link Garry, I hadn''t seen that yet.

If I am reading the page on fancies right, a well cut marquise will have small points of leakage scattered, and if the bow tie effect is bad, it will definitely show?!?

Does JamesAllen do ASET images? I have been mainly looking at stones on that site in order to see pictures and get a better idea of what I like/want.

This whole ring buying thing is much more involved than I first thought, but I am actually enjoying the learning and comparing process.
No, only Idealscope which are less useful for fancy shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results