shape
carat
color
clarity

Mark Broumand for fancy colors?

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
We've started looking for a yellow diamond ring, and found one we like at Mark Broumand online. We live a long way from LA and can't travel easily at this point. Does he have a good reputation for choosing fancy colored stones? I notice that some have EGL instead of GIA, which worries me a bit, although the ring we like best has GIA cert. I have some questions in to them but wanted to check in here! Also, thoughts on radiant vs cushion in a fancy colored diamond? Looking at FLY or FY for the most part. Thanks for your help!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any info on Broumand but I have FY earrings and a FY ring and I bought both at Diamonds By Lauren. My cushion is FLY and they have such a lovely way of setting their stones that it looks FY to me :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also cushion vs radiant - they both have that "crushed ice" look in the stone; I guess it comes down to if you prefer sharp vs rounded edges. Mine is cushion.

Attachments

• 405DC997-E0E9-4CB4-8F07-28439F3F0A82.jpeg
    405DC997-E0E9-4CB4-8F07-28439F3F0A82.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 18

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
That is beautiful!! I have a request out for info from them too (I think they're out of the office with these storms!) I really like the engraving at Mark Broumand, I am a sucker for a fancy gallery.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at Mark Broumand a few years back, never purchased from them though. I find that some of their FLY diamonds have a brown modifier/look more brown than yellow. EGL I would imagine would be quite soft on colour here and hard to compare apples with apples. That aside I think they have very pretty designs and craftsmanship. I think there were a few posts recently about PS'ers who had rings made by MB and were really happy with them.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Also cushion vs radiant - they both have that "crushed ice" look in the stone; I guess it comes down to if you prefer sharp vs rounded edges. Mine is cushion.

@Mreader *sigh* why do I feel like I need to have every piece you have?! Every time you post one of your pics I go “that’s it! That’s exactly what I want, it’s perfect!” I swear you need to do your own collection thread like Mrs-B! <3

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader *sigh* why do I feel like I need to have every piece you have?! Every time you post one of your pics I go “that’s it! That’s exactly what I want, it’s perfect!” I swear you need to do your own collection thread like Mrs-B! <3

Oh my gosh I am SO not worthy of a comparison to @mrs-b but thank you! Haha! And I think my issue is that I don’t ever have the perfect idea of “the holy grail” ring so I collect along the way. For years it was “I mainly love fancy yellow” and then “I love Art Deco” then “I need an emerald” etc etc the list doesn’t end!

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any info on Broumand but I have FY earrings and a FY ring and I bought both at Diamonds By Lauren. My cushion is FLY and they have such a lovely way of setting their stones that it looks FY to me :)

Mreader, did you buy yours online without being able to look at it in person? It is a little scary to take the leap! There's a ring I've been looking at at DBL and have been emailing with David about, but feel like I know very little about colored stones and cushion cuts!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Mreader, did you buy yours online without being able to look at it in person? It is a little scary to take the leap! There's a ring I've been looking at at DBL and have been emailing with David about, but feel like I know very little about colored stones and cushion cuts!

Hi yes - I don't live anywhere near NYC haha. When I saw the ring, I called him up and chatted with him on the phone about it. I was really impressed with how deep the color looked even though it was FLY (that picture I posted isn't even that great - my ultrasonic has been broken!). I think his bench has a knack for drawing out the color of the stone. My earrings are alphabet yellows. I'll sing their praises all day long. They have so much inventory to choose from and they also do have a return policy. I also like that their website features so many photos of the stones. Here are my alphabet earrings which to me don't look like alphabet! :

924E1885-98D6-4F39-9C7E-1A34559C91E7.jpeg

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hi yes - I don't live anywhere near NYC haha. When I saw the ring, I called him up and chatted with him on the phone about it. I was really impressed with how deep the color looked even though it was FLY (that picture I posted isn't even that great - my ultrasonic has been broken!). I think his bench has a knack for drawing out the color of the stone. My earrings are alphabet yellows. I'll sing their praises all day long. They have so much inventory to choose from and they also do have a return policy. I also like that their website features so many photos of the stones. Here are my alphabet earrings which to me don't look like alphabet! :

I love the milgrained bezels on these earrings -- something to think about in the future! Do you mind telling me the specs on your ring? I'm looking at a FLY cushion ring and it certainly does look bright!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love the milgrained bezels on these earrings -- something to think about in the future! Do you mind telling me the specs on your ring? I'm looking at a FLY cushion ring and it certainly does look bright!

Yes I asked specifically for the milgrain :) So it's a 3ct stone FLY VS2 and the measurements are 8.12X7.36x5.46 . I hope that helps!

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Yes I asked specifically for the milgrain :) So it's a 3ct stone FLY VS2 and the measurements are 8.12X7.36x5.46 . I hope that helps!

Definitely, thank you!! Similar measurements only a little more square in the one I'm looking at... I'm about to the point of photoshopping the dimensions to tape on, definitely driving my husband crazy!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Definitely, thank you!! Similar measurements only a little more square in the one I'm looking at... I'm about to the point of photoshopping the dimensions to tape on, definitely driving my husband crazy!

Haha I did that too. I had a ring with a halo before I bought that; wanted to make sure it still had good coverage. Unless it's 3D even with the dimensions on a piece of paper it's hard to get the idea! :lol:

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Haha I did that too. I had a ring with a halo before I bought that; wanted to make sure it still had good coverage. Unless it's 3D even with the dimensions on a piece of paper it's hard to get the idea! :lol:

Follow-up -- went with one from DBL! So responsive to all my questions (so many questions, buying it from cross-country!) Having it sent out for approval, then it'll go back for resizing because the pave band can only be resized once. So excited, thanks for your help @Mreader !

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Follow-up -- went with one from DBL! So responsive to all my questions (so many questions, buying it from cross-country!) Having it sent out for approval, then it'll go back for resizing because the pave band can only be resized once. So excited, thanks for your help @Mreader !

Yay I cannot wait to see it :)

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock

I love your FY 3-stone ring and the earrings above. :kiss2: Is the halo removable? I might contact DBL or Alex Park Fine Jewelry, to see if they can create something similar.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love your FY 3-stone ring and the earrings above. :kiss2: Is the halo removable? I might contact DBL or Alex Park Fine Jewelry, to see if they can create something similar.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

No the halo it’s not a jacket and in hindsight I should’ve thought of that!

suzane

Rough_Rock
Trade
Do not buy a fancy colored diamond with an EGL cert. Only buy a GIA certed stone with even color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results