shape
carat
color
clarity

Maple is Engaged!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hello Ladies!!

My new fiancee :bigsmile: is downstairs for 15 minutes... so I will need to keep this brief and then come back later with details. So if you all read my "We put a diamond on hold!" thread you should get the details about the stone. It is a 1.71 carat round brilliant AGS Ideal, I color. We found it on James Allen a few weeks ago and put it on hold. He had the ring in his safe and finally proposed yesterday while we were having a nice romantic dinner at home... just the two of us... wine... and candles.

I knew it was coming but regardless was so shocked that I think I said, "I do" instead of "Yes!" :-o

Here are a few pictures of the ring. It is so difficult to take good photos! I tried to capture the fire and scintillation in the elevator at work... and kept riding the elevator up and down during my lunch hour. The videos did not turn out well and capture 10% of it's beauty. This stone is definitely sparkly!

The setting is the 14k 2.5mm knife edge from James Allen. My ring size is 7.75. Not sure if this will be the permanent setting... it's set a bit too low for my liking so we might change it up to the Vatche 113 closer to the actual wedding date and set that baby high which is my preference. Regardless, for now I am happy and just want to enjoy my ring and being engaged.

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pn87PwNYWo

Video 2 (the ring spun and is tilted a bit on this one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmoy44B1To

I can't begin to describe how excited I have been the past 24 hours! More to come at a later date.

Maple

mine.jpg

_5880.jpg

_5881.jpg

_5882.jpg

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
A few more...

_5883.jpg

_5884.jpg

_147.png

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Your ring is so classic and beautiful. It looks perfect on your hand. When you have time, please enlighten us with how he proposed. I love proposal stories just as much as ring pictures. :)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!!! It looks great on your hand! Love the nail polish!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!! woo hoo!!! It is a BEAUTIFUL ring and I love love LOVE your nails!! wow - stunning combo! :appl:

So happy for you and such a special, romantic moment for just the two of you! too cute about "I Do", not yes!! lol!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Maple! :appl: Beautiful and elegant ring.

Some elevators have great lighting to bring out the sparkly. Grocery stores and movie theaters have fabulous lighting for ring gazing, also.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I was so obsessed with the ring pictures that I missed the entire proposal story at the top. I'm really happy for you!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um I LOVE your nails!!!! Congrats, Maple! Your ring and nails are stunning!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring and nails!! What color is it? :naughty: Congratulations..I will take you off the list when I get a chance to update later this weekend!

MischiefManaged

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! :bigsmile: It's beautiful and so classic. I also love your nails!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations maple, very exciting! The diamond is absolutely stunning! :lickout:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your comments, ladies!! Yesterday I had a friend comment on the diamond. We played a guessing game on stats and he guessed a D or E color and after closely expecting, also stated it had to be in the VS category or flawless. The friend was a bit taken back when I replied with... "Nope.. it's an I color and S12". Honestly, with how much it sparkles it looks nothing but white from the top view.

Some of my colleagues from work also grabbed by hand and inspected the diamond 6 or so inches from their faces when I showed it to them... a bit freaky I might add... I mean who does this?! I was very worried they'd find an inclusion when they picked up my hand and ring so close to their face! But to my surprise... after starring at it that close... they replied asking if it was flawless because they couldn't find any inclusions. :))

I am still loving my diamond but I'm already starting to look at other settings. It's hard to describe my issue with the setting... but the diamond is so beautiful and I feel like the setting makes it look less elegant? I haven't brought this up to my new fiancee yet but I kind of want to change the setting asap and not wait closer to the wedding. The diamond is just set too low for me and the setting is not elegant enough for that sparkly diamond. :(sad

I still need to keep budget in mind so I've pretty much given up on the Vatch U113 (too expensive for SO now). I am trying to narrow it down between the Brian Gavin Knife Edge or the White Flash Knife Edge. Both are about $850 for 18k white gold.

Also - thank you for the comment on the nail polish! It is Essie Maximillian Strasse Her. Then I just added a sparkly glitter over it on my ring finger.

And a few more details on the proposal: I got home from work and had already given up on the idea of a proposal since SO was taking his time with the ring. We sat in the back yard on our patio set until the sun started going down and had a cocktail while enjoying the evening. Then we came in the house and started preparing the dining room for dinner. I had lit the candles and laid out the plates... poured the wine, etc. I walked into the kitchen to check on the meat and then turned around to SO with the ring box asking me to be his wife!

I was so surprised because of the timing of the proposal... after our romantic dinner would have been one thing... but he did it right at the start which I wasn't expecting. And in the kitchen of all places...?!!

It took me about a minute to say yes because I kept asking him, "is this really happening?! Are you proposing?!! Right now?!!". His hands were shaking so bad when he was holding the ring box... poor guy.

He later told me he picked the kitchen because 3.5 years ago that was the same spot where he asked me to be his girlfriend... which I had completely forgotten about :shock:

After i finally said "I do" and then "yes"... we kissed... had our dinner... and had a few shots of goldshlagger to celebrate before we started calling our family. :bigsmile:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
awwww so cute of him to remember the detail about the kitchen! I just love that it was just the two of you. So very intimate that way! and yay goldschlager...good stuff! And so sparkly so very fitting hehe.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i like the whiteflash one. i think the BGD one looks like too "pointy" of a knife edge (if that even makes sense???)

YOU SOUND LIKE ME! My bf remembers all these little details and i remember none of them :( He sounds like he did an excellent job with surprising you!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Do you have a date or time frame in mind for the wedding?

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
@ LovelikeCrazy: I agree with the pointy knife edge. I just really love the height of the band and also the head! I am going to email WF to get the height of the top of their knife edge band then make a decision end of week. I might also email JF about their handmade knife edge to see what the height of that one is...

@ FancyPantsSparkles: Thank you! No idea yet on the date but it will definitely be sometime early Fall 2013. Part of us wants to get married... the other part wants to run off to Alaska and elope then head to Hawaii for a honeymoon. So many decisions!!!

By the way ladies.. I went to Tiffanys to try on wedding bands! Fell in LOVE with the .56 shared prong half eternity band. It looked perfect! That is DEFINATELY the one I want. There was also a .36 or .37 or so channel set half eternity which was gorgeous. Man I wish they weren't so expensive. The shared prong band was $300 or so more expensive than the last time I was at Tiffanys!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you open to non-Tiff's? I bought ArmyWife's eternity off of her from IDJ... The "PS Quality" is phenomenal, just as good as T&Co.. Arrows and everything. I wore it to Tiff to try on similar bands that cost 4-5X what I paid!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
maple2012|1367206059|3436440 said:

I like the WF one a little better too. How much is the Vatche one that you like? Would it be worth it to save up for that instead so you don't have to keep on trading up in order to get to your dream setting?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
maple2012|1367290478|3437097 said:
By the way ladies.. I went to Tiffanys to try on wedding bands! Fell in LOVE with the .56 shared prong half eternity band. It looked perfect! That is DEFINATELY the one I want. There was also a .36 or .37 or so channel set half eternity which was gorgeous. Man I wish they weren't so expensive. The shared prong band was $300 or so more expensive than the last time I was at Tiffanys!

UGH! i know what you mean! I want the .56 shared prong too. It was 4850 prior to the price increase!!! So hard not to fall in love with it haha! At the rate my SO is moving, i will see another price increase for the wedding band before i get to buy it...LOL

alma123

Rough_Rock
Congrats!!! You must be so happy, and you found a beautiful diamond too.

And the pic with the trees... how cool is that?

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very late to the party, but CONGRATULATIONS and BEST WISHES!

:appl: :appl:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies! I took a cool picture of my ring today reflecting all sorts of colors. Thought I'd post!! Also - I've heard of DSS.... but I think I have the opposite effect. The longer I wear my ring the bigger the diamond gets and more perfect it seems to me. Haha.

@ Madelise: I might be open to a non-Tiffs band.. I really fell in love with the .56 shared prong and SO really wants a Tiff band for his wedding band... and I kind of like the idea of getting our bands from the same place. However, we don't have the money when the time comes I might explore other options. I actually just found out that my job is sending me to NYC in about 3 weeks so I might stop at IDJ to look at a few different settings and pick up the earring jackets I really love. What is the name of your shared prong band? I might as well look at those while I'm there too!

@ Sortmon: After giving it more thought, I decided to hold off my switching the setting until I see the ones I like in person. I will be going to NYC in 3 weeks and I think I might swing by a Vatche dealer and look at the U113 and the 5th Avenue Vatche Solitaire in person. I spoke to someone at Whiteflash and their knife edge is only 2mm in height which isn't that much higher than my current 1.78mm. If I do change my current one, I want something a bit taller in height. I'm going to see if the U113 or 5th Avenue Vatche does it for me.

Here is the 5th Avenue I also like now. It's a four prong like my current one and I really like it! I think I might be falling more in love with my four prong style everyday actually: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/5th-avenue-solitaire-engagement-ring-664.htm

@ LovelikeCrazy: Yes, that .56 shared prong was to die for! I wanted to take it home with me so I could wear it around the house!! But SO said we need to wait until closer to the wedding date. :0( What's really cool is that the height of the shared wrong was fine with my current knife edge which is only 1.78 in height. They aren't kidding when they say it's set low!

@ Alma123: Thank you!!! Yes, I find myself mesmorized by the reflection of the trees and the sky. It is beautiful!!!

@ Chewbacca: Thank you!!! :0)

_5990.jpg

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! It is gorgeous!!! :love: We are 2 peas in a pod. I just got engaged too and mine is an I color SI2 and I LOVE it. My diamond snob of a best friend asked for a loupe the second she saw it!!! I had one but would not give it to her. She then scrutinized it a few inches from her face and she couldn't see the inclusion either. Welcome to the SI2 club!!!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
@ Trasid: Sorry I missed your post! Thank you! We are I S12 twins! Your ring is gorgeous by the way... what a unique setting. I love the basket under the ring. It's so pretty! :appl:

I also wanted to quickly update everyone. I'm changing my setting. I was hoping I could hold off and keep my current setting until closer to the wedding (next Fall) but I just can't. :oops: I had a chat with SO and I think he felt a little bad about changing it so soon... but he finally agreed to do it and he just wants me to be happy.

Also, after giving it a lot of thought - I am going with the Brian Gavin Tiffany Knife edge with a modification. One of my issues with my current 2.5mm ring is that it doesn't feel substantial enough for me, so I am having BGD increase the width of the top part of the ring from 2.4mm to 2.9mm-3mm. One thing I love about the original Tiffanys ring is that the band itself is thicker on top so I think I'll really like this mofication.

I am leaving to New York on business Monday morning but will hopefully be shipping my ring to BGD end of week to they can start working on my new setting. :appl: And of course, I will post pics on the show me the bling thread when it arrives.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Maple. Love the ring and your nails! :appl: :appl: :appl:

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Maple! Beautiful diamond, what a great size! I like the elegance of your setting. It will stunning with a diamond wedding band.

Lady5

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness! So perfect! :love: Congrats!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
@ hearts-arrows_girl: thank you so much!! you are too kind <3 I am actually having the setting change to the six prong brian gavin tiffany classic style right now. I have been without my ring for two weeks now and I miss it dearly but should have it back next week. I decided to keep the simplicity of it by sticking with a solitaire... because I love the look so much! One of SO's lady friends from work commented that it was "plain" and that she expected something more elaborate. Blah. Some people are so rude! :knockout:

@ Lady5: Thank you so much!!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
It will look perfect. I love 6 prong settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results