shape
carat
color
clarity

mangled Leon Mege e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
So I was fighting with my fiance about something totally insignificant and in a childish fit of rage I stalked off to the bedroom and tried to slam the door as hard as I could - only my ring got caught on the handle and instead of slamming it, I nearly yanked my arm out of the socket, sprained my finger, scraped some skin off, and worst of all bent my Leon Mege engagement ring horribly out of shape, losing three bead set diamonds in the process..

Unfortunately I live in Hong Kong and getting the ring back to Leon for repairs is no easy task. Oh, and my wedding is only 3 months away.

Needless to say, fiance is not exactly sympathetic to my predicament. He''s told me a million times not to slam doors..

I feel like such an idiot. Does anyone have any idea how much time/work/money it will likely take to fix it?

MyPicture.jpg

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Two or three tiny bead set diamonds are missing from the top and a slightly larger one is missing from the side. The ring itself is pretty badly bent.

Photo 11.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh man, that stinks! I know it''s hard to funnel anger sometimes, but spare your ring next time!!! LOL.
2.gif

Honestly, I wouldn''t have anyone but Leon fix that ring if it were mine. I''d call him up, and ask him how long it would take (mention the wedding is 3 months away) and how much he''d charge to fix it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 1:12:39 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Oh man, that stinks! I know it''s hard to funnel anger sometimes, but spare your ring next time!!! LOL.
2.gif

Honestly, I wouldn''t have anyone but Leon fix that ring if it were mine. I''d call him up, and ask him how long it would take (mention the wedding is 3 months away) and how much he''d charge to fix it.
Ditto. I hope he can fix it quickly for you. No way would I have anyone but Leon fix it. Good luck!!!

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. You''re right, I won''t let anyone but Leon touch it.

I guess I''m a cautionary tale. Don''t throw temper tantrums while wearing delicate rings!

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea how to answer any of your ACTUAL questions, but I just wanted to say don''t beat yourself up TOO hard. I know it was a stupid mistake, but it happens and i''m sure you''ll think twice before slamming a door again! My husband and I have a....hmmm....''fiery'' relationship hahaha. We have a LOT in common and all but we also are quite different in just our very natures. Evertone flies off the handle sometimes. I hope your ring turns out ok!

Have you checked the Leon Mege website? Are there any dealers in Hong Kong? Where did you get it from originally? Are there any nice shops nearby that may be able to help?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow....that''s too bad!!
39.gif

Given the time constraints (and distance), I''d probably contact Leon and see what he suggests is best. Maybe he could even recommend a jeweler locally who could fix it.

If you do decide to have it repaired locally, I''d be REALLY picky about who does it...and even pay a premium to be sure it''s done right...

Good luck!
widget

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
I just spoke to Leon on the phone. Now I''m really about to cry. He said that he has to see the ring to assess the damage but it sounds like it could be beyond repair. It sounds like there may be structural damage. He remembers me and if I send it to him right away - even if he has to re-make it from scratch - he''ll have it for me in time for my wedding, but still..I can''t believe I just destroyed my engagement ring!!

I hope my insurance covers this. If Leon has to totally re-make it, that''s going to cost thousands..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh snapdragon i''m sorry. i think it''s very smart to go ahead and send it back to Leon and then see what he thinks. also, that''s good news that he can have it back to you by your wedding, even if starting from scratch. I would think that is something that your insurance will cover.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes.

Well, that is what insurance is for. If the ring is structurally damaged and needs to be remade, do you want to have the ring remade in the same way?

I would sent Leon the ring and see what he says, and take it from there. No use freaking out till you have to.
2.gif
Seriously - I know this is upsetting. But send it to Leon and wait till he assesses the situation. It was very, very nice of him to tell you that regardless of what needs to be done, even a complete remake, he''d have it in time for your wedding.

Good luck.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/21/2006 2:18:36 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Yikes.

Well, that is what insurance is for. If the ring is structurally damaged and needs to be remade, do you want to have the ring remade in the same way?

I would sent Leon the ring and see what he says, and take it from there. No use freaking out till you have to.
2.gif
Seriously - I know this is upsetting. But send it to Leon and wait till he assesses the situation. It was very, very nice of him to tell you that regardless of what needs to be done, even a complete remake, he''d have it in time for your wedding.

Good luck.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Excellent advice. Don''t forget to call your insurance agent. They may have some particular procedure required as part of their claims process. As mentioned by FireGoddess, this is what the insurance is for.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw snapdragon, don''t beat yourself over it too much...I know that is hard to do, but tempers flare and accidents happen. I''d tell you my story, but then pricescopers would be asking for my head on a platter. Let''s just say there is a reason I got my sturdy Jeff Cooper setting with no frills!

Glad to hear that Leon can get the ring back to you in time. The most important thing is that you and FI are good with each other.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Snapdragon, I feel so bad for you.

Definitely ship it off to Leon right away! The sooner he gets it the sooner you''ll have it back on your finger. I hope your insurance can cover the cost. Either way, I''m sure you just want your lovely ring whole and back on your finger in time for your wedding day.
Good luck to you!

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the good advice. I know, I am very lucky that Leon is so cool. He didn''t have to promise that he''d remake the ring in time, but he did. He said he remembered that we had a good rapport.

I''ll find out from Chubb what the procedure is here-

TravelingGal - impressive foresight in choosing a lovely yet durable e-ring design. I wish I''d thought of that!

I don''t think I''ll be slamming any doors in the future. I''m also banned from throwing things, so I guess there''s nothing left for me to do but grow up now

23.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Psssshhh you AND my husband :)

He had the bad habit of throwing/hitting things. However every time this happened he would end up just eithier damaging HIMSELF...or something that he really cared about.

He''s done good though...and so will you!

Good luck on your ring, i''m sure it will turn out GORGEOUS!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 1:24:49 PM
Author: devientdrow
I have no idea how to answer any of your ACTUAL questions, but I just wanted to say don''t beat yourself up TOO hard. I know it was a stupid mistake, but it happens and i''m sure you''ll think twice before slamming a door again! My husband and I have a....hmmm....''fiery'' relationship hahaha. We have a LOT in common and all but we also are quite different in just our very natures. Evertone flies off the handle sometimes. I hope your ring turns out ok!

Have you checked the Leon Mege website? Are there any dealers in Hong Kong? Where did you get it from originally? Are there any nice shops nearby that may be able to help?
Hey, I threw a half a box of krispy kremes at my husband the other day - ugh. I''ve TOLD him not to pinch my butt when I''m walking up the stairs and I kinda lost it LOL (no rings were hurt though) oops, that''s not helpful is it? LOL ((((rings))))

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 2:12:35 PM
Author: snapdragon
I just spoke to Leon on the phone. Now I''m really about to cry. He said that he has to see the ring to assess the damage but it sounds like it could be beyond repair. It sounds like there may be structural damage. He remembers me and if I send it to him right away - even if he has to re-make it from scratch - he''ll have it for me in time for my wedding, but still..I can''t believe I just destroyed my engagement ring!!

I hope my insurance covers this. If Leon has to totally re-make it, that''s going to cost thousands..
oh MAN! that sucks!! I''m sorry
7.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 3:37:28 PM
Thanks for all of the good advice. I know, I am very lucky that Leon is so cool. He didn''t have to promise that he''d remake the ring in time, but he did. He said he remembered that we had a good rapport.

I''ll find out from Chubb what the procedure is here-

TravelingGal - impressive foresight in choosing a lovely yet durable e-ring design. I wish I''d thought of that!

I don''t think I''ll be slamming any doors in the future. I''m also banned from throwing things, so I guess there''s nothing left for me to do but grow up now

23.gif
can''t even throw donuts? sheeeeeeesh!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance has nearly cured me of childish rage, thanks to advice from my dad. When I am beyond angry, he has learned to pin me down with a hug. The other thing I do, is snap hairbrushes or tv remotes in half. Get the cheap remotes, they work better for that sort of thing.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
all i can say is get it made sturdier (thicker) this time. it''s awfully thin.

one good whack on a grocery cart....

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Here are a couple pics of my ring before it was mangled. Do you think the shank is really too thin?

I wonder if part of the problem is that my ring was too big. The ring was a size 4 but my finger is closer to a size 3.75. I thought going with the larger size was safer. But maybe if the ring had been tighter it wouldn''t have caught on the door like that. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• snapdragon1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 768

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
This is the front.

Attachments

• snapdragon2[1].jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 769

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don''t know if it''s too thin, but it is seriously gorgeous!!

Considering your very small fingers, I think the size is a good proportion for you. If it gets very thick it might look cumbersome.

I think the ring would be fine as it is, provided no more doors get slammed on it
9.gif

Maybe ask Leon what he thinks. Beautiful ring.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I agree ask Leon what He thinks.
I don't think it *looks* too thin. How wide is the shank?
I do think it would be better if it fit more snugly, not allowing any space between the ring and finger.

It's gorgeous, by the way.
Just curious, what is the size of your EC?

Scintillating...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
SD
It's such a gorgeous ring, wow!!! I don't think the shank looks too thin. If he does have to make a new setting for you perhaps have it made a tad smaller as far as your ring size is concerned?? Did it spin on your hand a lot?? Hopfeully he won't have to make a whole new setting but if he does at least you know you'll have it in time for your wedding.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That shank doesn''t look too thin to me...how wide is it?

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
The shank measures 1.87mm at the base and flares to 2.43mm at the shoulders. What do you guys think? Is that thick enough? I really hope so- I love the ring as it is (or rather was) and am reluctant to ask Leon to change the design. I''ll certainly ask him to downsize it though. The ring really was a bit loose.

Thanks you all for the compliments.

Scintillating, the center stone is a 2.84 F VS2 EC and the sides are .77 G VS1 bullets.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is GORGEOUS!!! I think the ring looks a lot different in those first two pics than up close. When someone said the shank seemed thin I saw what they meant with those far away photos. In the up close ones I can see it is indeed much different and doesn''t look too thin at all. I think like you said, as long as no more doors slam, your all good!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
SnapDragon,
I think I''d probably go to a full 2mm in the back, I don''t think you''ll notice any difference, it''ll just make it a little stronger/more durable.
But again, ask Leon what he thinks.

I love the bullet sides. It''s really spectacular.
I noticed that you didn''t start a thread for in the SMTR forum.
Please promise us when you get it fixed, you''ll start a new thread with lots of pics.

Scintillating...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 3:53:35 PM

The shank measures 1.87mm at the base and flares to 2.43mm at the shoulders. What do you guys think? Is that thick enough? I really hope so- I love the ring as it is (or rather was) and am reluctant to ask Leon to change the design. I'll certainly ask him to downsize it though. The ring really was a bit loose.

Thanks you all for the compliments.

Scintillating, the center stone is a 2.84 F VS2 EC and the sides are .77 G VS1 bullets.
your stone is just a hair larger than mine and I would not feel comfortable putting it on a band under 2mm that was covered on 3 sides by holes with diamonds in them! Not for *every* day wear, I wouldn't. For an occasional ring with a gemstone I totally would. However, it isn't my ring, you have to love it :) My concern for you at this point would be anxiety about it and being paranoid about it happening again to the extent that you no longer are comfortable and can relax enough to LIVE while wearing it or you start taking it off a lot to protect it. If you want a ring that you have to protect, then sure. Me personally I want a ring I can trust and forget about (other than keeping it clean lol)

ETA: I just looked up your stone and it is *gorgeous* I love that pic that bob sent you of it!!! BTW my stone is just about the same ratio too LOL 1.26:1! It's not an EC though, but still... I really love that l:w :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results