shape
carat
color
clarity

mangled Leon Mege e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a magnificent ring, for sure!!!
30.gif
I think Cehra hit the nail on the head, though. A solid band that width might be more sturdy, but you have holes (for the pave) on three sides of a thin band. I love it like it is, but it might not be a ring you can wear all the time. We''ve seen crushed bands like this before on here. You''ll just have to remember that it is fragile and be careful.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is very very lovely. If it were me, and I am very hard on rings, I might consider having the stones limited to the front of the band, just to add a bit more metal. As it is, I think it is a work of art. A more snug size should certainly prevent help another catching of the ring.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is insanely beautiful! I love EC''s- especially big ones like your''s and the bullets and pave are gorgeeeeous.
I would definitely have the ring sized to fit you properly- so it can''t hook or snag onto anything again. I know my ring was too big for the first 2 weeks I had it and I almost yanked my finger off between bags and door knobs, keys, dog leashes etc.

I can''t speak to the width of the ring- but if he does need to make a new one bumping up to 2mm would probably be a good safety precaution that you probably wouldn''t even notice looks-wise.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get a thicker ring.

I don't rings this thin should even be made.

They look too delicate to be practical, unless you are royalty and just sit on a throne all day.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a ring with very thin pave shanks (1.4 mm), but it only has pave on one side. I think that if it has three-sided pave, you should go to 2mm. Another solution would be having the pave only go about half way about the shank and having solid metal on the back side. This would add stability when you knock the bottom of the ring, but will give the same look. You have a gorgeous ring by the way!! Sorry to hear about the accident.

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
Hmmmm, I''m in a bit of a quandary now.

I love the way my ring was designed and think that it''s extremely well-made. It''s been said before, but Leon''s workmanship really is impeccable. He may not do all his own benchwork anymore but I think he did two years ago when this ring was made.

The shank appears delicate but I''ve worn it every day in all kinds of conditions - even at the gym - dropped it on the granite floor of my bathroom several times, accidentally banged it on glass tables and hard wood desks, etc. None of the pave ever came loose. I really don''t feel like it''s particularly fragile or I would have had problems long before this.

My ring got mangled because I was foolish. I tried to slam the door as hard as I possibly could (we''re talking flying ceiling chips here) only my ring got caught and the force not only bent the shank but tore off a large chunk of my skin and sprained my finger so bad it swelled up like a sausage. I think I could have bent almost any ring like that!

Now if I downsize the ring so there''s less space for it to catch on things (and yes, it used to spin on my finger quite a bit) and I don''t slam any more doors, don''t you think the ring will probably be alright, remade the same way?? I mean, if it withstood all that other abuse?

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
uote>

your stone is just a hair larger than mine and I would not feel comfortable putting it on a band under 2mm that was covered on 3 sides by holes with diamonds in them! Not for *every* day wear, I wouldn''t. For an occasional ring with a gemstone I totally would. However, it isn''t my ring, you have to love it :) My concern for you at this point would be anxiety about it and being paranoid about it happening again to the extent that you no longer are comfortable and can relax enough to LIVE while wearing it or you start taking it off a lot to protect it. If you want a ring that you have to protect, then sure. Me personally I want a ring I can trust and forget about (other than keeping it clean lol)

ETA: I just looked up your stone and it is *gorgeous* I love that pic that bob sent you of it!!! BTW my stone is just about the same ratio too LOL 1.26:1! It''s not an EC though, but still... I really love that l:w :)

Cehra - I looked up your stone too and I love it! What a beautiful cushion!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 9:49:45 AM
Author: snapdragon

Now if I downsize the ring so there''s less space for it to catch on things (and yes, it used to spin on my finger quite a bit) and I don''t slam any more doors, don''t you think the ring will probably be alright, remade the same way?? I mean, if it withstood all that other abuse?

I think you should downsize so it fits better and have Leon make it like it was. you love it as is so why change it. i think just about anyone would have bent a ring doing it they way you did
2.gif

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Snapdragon,

If you were worried just about the ring spinning, I would recommend sizing beads, not downsizing the ring. If you downsize the ring, it will probably be too small some of the time. That might cause you to yank the ring off... could that damage the ring? If you choose to have sizing beads put in, ask Leon to do it when he is fixing or replacing your current ring.

A 2 mm solid shank is plenty sturdy. It looks like the solid part of your shank is much thinner than that, though. I hope Leon can give you some options for reinforcing your ring.

Please allow this engineer a digression... Sometimes the most important thing an engineer does is to put the weakest link in a safe place. (Think of crumple zones in cars, or circuit breakers in home wiring.) Have you considered getting flimsier doors ;-)

-- Jasper

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just at the jeweler the other day double checking my ring size. When I got engaged 6 years ago it was summer and I went with a size 4. 6 years and 2 kids later my ring has slipped off when putting one of my kids in their car seat. I can literally shake my hand and both rings will fall off. they also spin all the time. the gal at the store told me a ring should go on easy but someone else should not be able to pull it off. She had to go down to a size 3 in order to do that on my hand. I will probably go with a 3.5 b/c i''m so used to my rings fitting loose but the 4 was too big. snapdragon could someone else get your ring off? if not, leave the sizing as is, if so, take it down a bit.

teetee

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you love the ring as it was and you had no problems with it in the previous 2 years so I think you should just get it sized to fit and have them remake it exactly as it was for you. The cause of the damage was from a freak accident so I wouldn''t be worried that the ring design was too fragile. Ask the designer and see what he says. Don''t change it unless you have to because you may not like the new changes. But do make sure that it fits correctly. Good luck with this and best wishes for your wedding day.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results