shape
carat
color
clarity

Malaya Garnet Setting Suggestions Needed (new pics)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Finally, I have found time to play with my new camera and was able to take a few more pictures of the garnet. I figure this will be a good opportunity to ask you all for setting suggestions. My budget can be stretched up to $300 for this project, but since I paid less than $200 for the stone, I do not want to go higher. BB and I agree that yellow gold would look best, as he mentioned setting a similar stone in white gold, which did not seem to look right. What was nice is that he sent me a gold color temp setting, so it is easy to see what it would look like in a gold setting.

Today, I sent an e-mail to WF and GOG for some ideas. My budget is rather low, so I do not forsee being able to go with any of their settings, but thought they could provide vendor suggestions. Marie from GOG was the first to respond and said she could get me prices for setting I am interested in from this vendor: http://www.uniquesettings.com/

However, if any of you have suggestions, that would be great as well. I am looking for the stone to be set as low as possible. Its measurement comes to 7.3, though BB suggests that I go with 7.5 mm mounting because he feels that many stock mountings are a little bit smaller than advertized and since his stones actually have a crown on them, a little bit larger mounting would probably work best.

Here come the pictures...

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

malaya.garnet.omie.flower.02.12.09.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

malaya.garnet.omie.flower.b.02.12.09.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

malaya.garnet.omie.finger.a.02.12.09.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

malaya.garnet.omie.profile.a.02.12.09.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

malaya.garnet.omie.profile.b.02.12.09.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

malaya.garnet.omie.profile.c.02.12.09.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

malaya.garnet.omie.finger.c.02.12.09.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Ok, finished. I can post more if needed. What I find interesting about the stone is how red it was in the flower shots and then how orange it looked in the other pictures. Also worth mentioning is that any white "flecks" you see is actually due to dust, as my faux flower arrangements are filled with dust.

With regards to the setting, again I think gold is probably the way to go, though I am open to suggestions. Additionally, I do not think a bezel will work well because the garnet is a medium to dark color. In bright situations as pictured above, the color stands out, however in lower light sitations, it does not perform very well. In other words, I need a setting that will allow as much light as possible into the garnet.

Here is a link to the stone on the ACS site: http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=2593

BEG has a nice setting her BB, but I am not sure if that is "right" for this stone. Any suggestions?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think yellow gold is the way to go here as well, it even looks nice is the faux yellow gold stone holder. I would do some sort of prong setting, no bezel.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered two-tone? Use YG in head and prongs to compliment the stone color, then WG for shank for the contrast. Also I can see claw prongs. Here is a design I saved, hope it helps.

Ring 2Tone 1c-1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh,
That''s a beautiful setting, do you mind sharing where it came from?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely say YG too, or if not all YG, then at least the head and prongs. I like that setting Yingh! I think I agree, Omie, on that trellis not being quite right for this stone - this one I picture in something not quite as modern but more antique/vintage-like. Maybe some filigree?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 9:09:39 PM
Author: yingh
Have you considered two-tone? Use YG in head and prongs to compliment the stone color, then WG for shank for the contrast. Also I can see claw prongs. Here is a design I saved, hope it helps.
30.gif
30.gif
This is so pretty!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
It was a ring selling on eBay couple of years ago
2.gif
Don''t know who bought - not me. The seller had moved on and opened his own online store, but I haven''t see rings that beautiful for a while.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That setting is very pretty!
36.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a close up shot of that ring.

Ring 2Tone 1b.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the yellow undertones of the stone, I suggest a yellow gold setting.
Also, because it''s on the dark side, an open setting is best. Prong setting, no bezels otherwise the stone may end up blackish looking.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 8:17:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I definitely think yellow gold is the way to go here as well, it even looks nice is the faux yellow gold stone holder. I would do some sort of prong setting, no bezel.
That''s what I thought too!
1.gif
No bezel for this stone, just need to figure out what type of prong setting will work best.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I had not considered 2-tone, but will keep my mind open. Thanks for attaching that setting, as I now can vizualize what gold prongs would look like on my stone. The temp setting is rather clunky, so it has been difficult for me to picture what the garnet would look like with normal prongs.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 9:49:37 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I would definitely say YG too, or if not all YG, then at least the head and prongs. I like that setting Yingh! I think I agree, Omie, on that trellis not being quite right for this stone - this one I picture in something not quite as modern but more antique/vintage-like. Maybe some filigree?
You have read my mind!
1.gif

Now to find a yellow gold antique repro with my limited budget.

Your blueberry looks amazing in the trellis setting!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 11:08:30 PM
Author: Chrono
Based on the yellow undertones of the stone, I suggest a yellow gold setting.
Also, because it's on the dark side, an open setting is best. Prong setting, no bezels otherwise the stone may end up blackish looking.
I agree with you on all counts Chrono. You mention that an "open" setting is best, pardon my ignorance, but could you provide an example of what an open setting looks like? I know I have probably seen one on PS, but just never realized it. ~Thanks!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I just heard back from WF. It was explained that the only setting in my budget that would work with my stone is their 4-Prong tiffany style Diamond Engagement Ring for Fancies, which I had suspected. In a follow-up note whether the representative happened to know of an alternate vendor offering settings in my budget. He stated that he did not think that any vendor could supply a setting for my stone under $300, but then suggested I ask ACS for suggestions.

While his suggestion to contact ACS was sound advice, I am now feeling a bit discouraged. If BB does not have any suggestions, perhaps I will send it to WF and have it set in their 4-prong tiffany style, since it is unlikely I will find anything. At least if WF sets it, I know it will be done correctly and will have excellent service.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 18K yellow gold or a warmer color of yellow gold would especially be nice.
31.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
On the site provided to me by GOG, I found the following interesting, though not sure on pricing and whether they come in gold:

More on the modern side:
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/21031

Wondering if it could be set lower:
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1618

This one is interesting, I would want it to be set lower.
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1593

Similar to above and seems more open
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/20257

Engraving
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1617

Engraving
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1619

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omie,
My definition of an open setting is where you can see as much of the side of the gemstone as possible, such as a U-prong style or pseudo tension setting. The Unique setting you linked to as an example of "open" is similar to what I had in mind.
1.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

Oh, that setting is just beautiful!! That would be one of my dream settings (except with rose gold prongs).

I was also thinking of a white metal shank and yellow gold prongs with a vintagy style. I really love the way Omie''s yellow gold temp setting complements the red tones in the stone.

And double yes to claw prongs!
18.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 9:25:27 PM
Author: Chrono
Omie,
My definition of an open setting is where you can see as much of the side of the gemstone as possible, such as a U-prong style or pseudo tension setting. The Unique setting you linked to as an example of 'open' is similar to what I had in mind.
1.gif
Ok, I was thinking that, so I must not be completely clueless. In my previous response, I linked several settings from Unique, so I am not completely sure which one you were referring to. However, given your definition, my guess is this one: http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/1593 . Then again, this one seems to be fairly open: http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/21031 too. Maybe I am clueless after all.

Did you mean this one, perhaps? http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/20257

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 9:31:06 PM
Author: platinumrock

I was also thinking of a white metal shank and yellow gold prongs with a vintagy style. I really love the way Omie''s yellow gold temp setting complements the red tones in the stone.

18.gif
Yes, like TL said, the stone looks pretty good in the temp setting! Yeah, I would love a vintagy style with double clawed prongs...if you can find me a nice one around $300, you will be my hero..heh
1.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 11:40:46 PM
Author: omieluv

Date: 2/13/2009 9:31:06 PM
Author: platinumrock

18.gif
Yes, like TL said, the stone looks pretty good in the temp setting! Yeah, I would love a vintagy style with double clawed prongs...if you can find me a nice one around $300, you will be my hero..heh
1.gif
For you Omie, I will try.
2.gif
How are you doing? Everytime I see your avatar, I think of Peepers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results