shape
carat
color
clarity

makeup..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coda,
It seems like you''ve used both BE and EM. Do you notice any difference between the two?

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 4:24:45 PM
Author: Chrono
Coda,
It seems like you''ve used both BE and EM. Do you notice any difference between the two?
I''m wondering that too--I tried the EM because they give free samples and I''m way to cheap for the BE anyway.
5.gif
I don''t have a lot of things that need to be covered, and I felt like it was more makeup-y looking than my usual foundation yesterday. I tried a different color today and like it a lot better, but my main issue is oiliness and I was hoping it would help more with that. It''s a little better than my "oil-absorbing" liquid, but not a lot. Am I doing something wrong? I have the matte foundation.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I get shiny within two hours with the EM.
14.gif
I think I do with my usual stuff, though, too. I was just hoping this was the answer!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those with oiler skin types, on the BE application video, it said that putting a light coat of the mineral veil first before putting on the foundation will keep it looking better longer. Perhaps, this might help with your EM (using the Finishing Dust first) too, SDL & Christa?

Looks like I'll have to order the EM sample to compare the two products. I have normal to dry skin so I hope this will work out all right, although I also really like my BE foundation kit too.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono and Christa, I actually haven''t used both BE and Everyday Minerals (EM), just EM. I did some research before ordering, because like you, Christa, I''m cheap. BE just seemed to expensive for me. I can''t remember who, but someone on this site recommended EM. So, I went to their website and they are considerably cheaper than BE. Also, their makeup seems to have less ingredients than BE, so I thought that was a good thing. I have combination skin, so I tried semi-matte. That worked really well for me, so I ordered the full-size samples. I started running out, so I ordered the intensive formula. That also works for me. As far as oiliness goes, EM helps reduce that for me, but mainly just my nose gets shiny.

I don''t know what to tell you, Christa, maybe their products don''t work for everyone. Maybe you should try BE. I think you can get a starter kit for pretty cheap.

SDL, you can get free samples for EM, so you won''t have to pay for anything. That way you can compare the two.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I''m in the minority here, but I really don''t think this stuff is all that great! I got the Bare Escentuals kit months ago after hearing rave reviews about it, and ... eh. First off, the colors don''t really work for my skin tone. I''m pale but have a lot of red in my cheeks, and the light and fairly light are both a little too yellowish for me.

And second, I feel like it just "deadens" the look of my skin. I don''t think I''m using too much (I''m not a big makeup wearer, so I def. apply on the light side!), but I feel like it makes my skin look dry and just blah -- definitely doesn''t give me that dewy healthy look I want!

I much prefer to use my Smashbox red-reducing stuff as a primer (the green stuff -- now THAT is a miracle worker!!) and then their cooling tinted moisturizer (it really does cool - it''s the weirdest thing!)
1.gif

But if mineral powders work for you (and from what I''ve seen and heard, it does!), then rock on with it
2.gif
Just wanted to throw my opinion out there!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2006 7:57:48 AM
Author: Chrono
For those with oiler skin types, on the BE application video, it said that putting a light coat of the mineral veil first before putting on the foundation will keep it looking better longer. Perhaps, this might help with your EM (using the Finishing Dust first) too, SDL & Christa?

Looks like I''ll have to order the EM sample to compare the two products. I have normal to dry skin so I hope this will work out all right, although I also really like my BE foundation kit too.
I don''t have my makeup on yet today, so I''ll try the finishing dust first and see if that helps. Once I tried the right color, it does look great when I put it on. I think maybe my expectations were just a little high.
5.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, thanks for the tip about putting the mineral veil/finishing dust on first--it did help quite a bit! I don't think there's any makeup on the planet that wouldn't require me to blot and dust several times a day, though. I keep thinking my skin should dry out as I get older, but at 35 it's still going strong.
14.gif
Oh well, I think it helps keep wrinkles down.
9.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Okay you look pretty darn good for 6:30 in the morning with no makeup, but I have to say that the BE really gives you a nice polished look! Thanks for sharing your pictures and I love your new avatar!!! My kit is supposed to arrive on Monday from Sephora (finally).

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
SDL - Looking great!
36.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much for posting all the befores and afters. i''m sure it''s not all that fun to post an early morning, sans makeup shot
2.gif

i''m going to try this stuff out. it seems, however, that i never have time to make it to a sephora, so i''m going to order off the website (is that a bad idea??)
but, i can''t figure out what color kit -- fair or light?

here are some pictures -- what do you ladies think?

47b5d924b3127cce92fa48a28d7300000016108AbuGbVi0ctB

lulumakeup-1.JPG

the first picture was without makeup and after i''d gotten a little tan. the second photo is with a trial DIY wedding makeup and was taken this past fall, so no tan.

Thanks for all the help!!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
lulu - I would recommend the Fairly Light/Light kit as well. I use that and I mix the two colors together to get the best color match for my skin.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Hey I received my BE starter kit on Monday and I''ve had fun playing around with it. So far I am really liking this makeup. I am older and I was afraid that since it is in powder form that it would just sit in my fine lines, but it is just light as a feather and so easy to apply!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
SQUEEE!
36.gif

I finally got my samples kit from www.monave.com and it is FANTASTIC!

For those of you who weren''t keen on shelling out major $$ for a foundation colour that might not work with your skin, I highly recommend Monave. I spent $10 on a set of 4 ''light'' colours (in cute little tubs with enough for about a month, consider how little I have to use) and they have a really good wide selection of different shades because they are also supplying non-caucasian women with makeup.

The company rocks my socks. It''s one of those "one woman and her quest for what she needed" situations and they are absolutely about ''less is more'' which is important to me because I dislike the conflict of interest when it comes to cosmetic companies. I dislike the push to buy loads more stuff than you actually want, let alone need. This stuff is pure pigment with no fillers or additives, so it covers like a mofo and you barely need to use any.

So, back to the ''loot''. I found a shade that matches my skin tone perfectly, and I LOVE it. I have oily-ish skin with frequent clogged pores leading to breakouts, so I avoid makeup as a rule, but I am excited about putting it on again! I bought their Kabuki Brush, and I don''t know if it is because I got it from Monave and not BE, Equi but my mine uber-sofffft and is purr-worthy on my skin. I caught myself rubbing my face with it before I even put on the makeup...
41.gif

I used a small brush I had lying around to dot on the pigment, and then used the Kabuki to blend. Hot damn! This stuff is GENIUS! I used a little on the Kabuki here and there to even out skin tone, but the large blending motions from the ''spot coverage'' seemed to take care of any ''foundation'' needs. It also seems to have a natural drying effect on the breakouts, but NOT on my skin overall. It looked soft and dewey and stayed all day. I rubbed, scratched, and touched my face all day (I spend all day in front of a computer screen being exasperated) and it bore the abuse just fine. And it didn''t give me that ''just put my face on'' look that I dislike.

And don''t get me started on the eyeshadows... normally I just wear a smidge of liner on my upper lash line, but hoo boy is that gonna change!

So, how do I post two pics in one post? I''d be happy to go a before-and-after, but I''m using Firefox and I don''t understand this ''drag and drop'' act you speak of...
33.gif

CajunBelle

Rough_Rock
SDL, you are so photogenic!!! the makeup is beaufiul on you!! yay for you!!!
10.gif

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
BE is awesome. My sister who worked for Lancome gave me enough make-up to last me a life time. It''s in the trash. I have an entire drawer full of Be and I will never use anything else. Leslie P. is a miracle worker in my opinion.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
You know I just don''t think this works for me. I was recently in the States and made a pilgramage to to Sephora
9.gif

I rushed straight up to the Bare escentuals girl and had the ''makeover''. But back home it just does''nt seem to look good on me and it was terrible under my eyes very drying and emphasised the wrinkes which I don''t really have many of. So whatdid I do? Well of course I ordered more!! Got the well rested and bisque concealers and a whole lot of other stuff but I still not sure. Then I ordered the Philosophy Supernatural Canavas in the funny pot. And I like this better but it still is not great anywhere near my eye area.
So maybe I am going to be the exception here. I do like the brow colour and brushes and I got an eye shadow that I sort of like.
Anyway any advice on ''technique'' will be appreciated

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 9:36:50 PM
Author: katebar
You know I just don't think this works for me. I was recently in the States and made a pilgramage to to Sephora
9.gif

I rushed straight up to the Bare escentuals girl and had the 'makeover'. But back home it just does'nt seem to look good on me and it was terrible under my eyes very drying and emphasised the wrinkes which I don't really have many of. So whatdid I do? Well of course I ordered more!! Got the well rested and bisque concealers and a whole lot of other stuff but I still not sure. Then I ordered the Philosophy Supernatural Canavas in the funny pot. And I like this better but it still is not great anywhere near my eye area.

So maybe I am going to be the exception here. I do like the brow colour and brushes and I got an eye shadow that I sort of like.

Anyway any advice on 'technique' will be appreciated

I'm not sure how the BE stuff works because that's not the brand I have, but I never put any on my undereye area. After I cleanse, tone, and moisturize my skin, I brush my teeth so that my moisturizer has lots of time to sink in. Then, I take a tiny soft paintbrush and dab a small amount of the foundation powder over my blemishes, as well as small streaks wherever I need to 'even out skin tone'.

Then I take my kabuki brush (I got everything from Monave.com and I know some people didn't like their BE kabukis but mine is SUPER SOFT) and swirl the naked brush over the areas I put dots of pigment, thus blending the spots in with my skin. Since I could order so many different shades of colour, my foundation colour matches my skin tone exactly so I don't need to worry about it being 'even'... it looks like it just melts into my face.

If I need extra 'evenness' I dab my tiny brush into the pot of pigment, and then knock the powder off into the lid, and then dab my kabuki onto that powder, mushing it around a bit to evenly distribute it on the kabuki. I then turn the kabuki over and whack the base on my counter to settle the powder into the bristles. I then VERY LIGHTLY swirl the brush around the areas I want more covered.

If I have dark circles under my eyes, I take my small brush and put a line of powder in the inner lower corner of my eye and then swirl, swirl, swirl with the brush.

If it's drying out your skin and emphasizing your microscopic wrinkles, my guess is that you are using too much product. Try using far too little, and then see what your results are.

Hope that helps!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I have been using BE for about three years, and I just wouldn''t use anything else. If makeup isn''t super easy, color me uninterested. BE takes me 5 minutes start to finish. It''s a real time saver, and it''s idiot-proof. (I''m the idiot who proved it)
2.gif
It makes my skin look great and it doesn''t dry me out. I am 40 and I don''t want anything that''s going to settle into lines and make me look older. This makeup fits all of my requirements. Maybe I''ll have the guts for a before and after shot one of these days.

shay

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for that input ladies. I think that what I miss it the glow I get with ''normal'' makeup. I think this looks more ''youthful'' on me than the matteness of BE.
This week I have returned to my Christian Dior anti-fatique but have used the BE on some spots on my forehead. I bought the "glee'' face colour and this looks sort of ok so i think I will just continue to experriment
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 9:36:50 PM
Author: katebar
You know I just don''t think this works for me. I was recently in the States and made a pilgramage to to Sephora
9.gif

I rushed straight up to the Bare escentuals girl and had the ''makeover''. But back home it just does''nt seem to look good on me and it was terrible under my eyes very drying and emphasised the wrinkes which I don''t really have many of. So whatdid I do? Well of course I ordered more!! Got the well rested and bisque concealers and a whole lot of other stuff but I still not sure. Then I ordered the Philosophy Supernatural Canavas in the funny pot. And I like this better but it still is not great anywhere near my eye area.
Anyway any advice on ''technique'' will be appreciated
i had this problem when i first started using be. for the life of me, i could not get the stuff to look ''natural'' under my eyes. it always looked thick and cakey and seemed to settle in the lines (which i was quite sure i *didn''t* have!). after some trial and error, i can confidently say, i have perfected the technique!
2.gif

i have found that if you moisturize around your eyes, you need to allow plenty of time for that to soak in. putting powder over freshly applied moisturizer just makes a mess itself, so i usually apply the moisturizer right away and then do some other things i need to in order to get ready for the day and allow the moisturizer to soak in and dry a little before putting on any makeup. i then use the concealer brush (very important!) to cover up any uneven red spots on my face and *lightly*, with very little powder, brush some powder under my eyes. it''s important to not put the powder on too thick under the eyes. i had also heard that applying the mineral veil around the eyes first would help as well. i tried it a few times and it did seem to help early on, before i learned to ''ease up'' with the concealer. now that i am lighter with the hand in applying the powder, i don''t use it but you may want to try that technique too. the key is really to apply light thin layers. a little goes a long way. i wasn''t sure i was going to be happy with the be when i first started using it. i looked like a cakey raccoon!
37.gif
now you couldn''t pay me to switch (no really, you couldn''t!) i love the stuff and my face does too.
1.gif

btw...if you want that ''glowy'' look, you are heading in the right direction with the ''glee'' i actually use the ''clear radiance'' which is lighter than the glee and i really, really like it. it gives a nice, bright, dewey look which i think my face needed. the be foundation alone can look ''powdery'' and this really helps give another dimension. it looks nice and fresh.
i love it!
best of luck to you, i hope it works out!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Belle is right a little of this stuff goes a long way. I just started using it in mid-September and since I lightened up on the amount of product I am using I just love the smooth polished look it gives me! I am 51 so I definitely have some fine lines under my eyes. I bought the Bare Minerals Eye Rever-upper as an under eye base and I really like it. I just returned from a cruise where we had our picture taken and I was amazed at how flawless my "not at all flawless complexion" looked compared to some earlier photos. Count me as a believer!

Curls

Rough_Rock
I really liked BE on my face, but as so many of you mentioned I had a problem with it looking really dry under my eyes. But in the end I can''t wear the stuff at all, which is pretty disappointing. Apparently I''m allergic to it. It makes my whole face itch like crazy!!! I also started to break out. It took me a few days to figure out it was the makeup because I''ve never been allergic to anything before and really don''t have sensitive skin. I looked it up online and apparently a lot of other people have the same problem as me. I think I may try a free sample of Everyday Minerals, I just hate not being able to see the shades in person.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I''m not quite sure what I think of BE. I used it for probably a year or so, and it wasn''t anything fantastic. The best part was how quick and easy it was to apply. And what really peeved me was how easily hairs of their brushes came off on my face
11.gif

But I do still use their foundation whenever I need to go out in public quickly and do not have time to apply my usual makeup, which is usually just when I''m running to the barn or driving the hubby to the train.
2.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Radscal 49 this is also happening to me. I read on Makeupalley that it can make your face itch in hot weather. My face really itches at times but thankfully no rash or breakout. I do like the Philosophy mineral make up and I am using that with my BE brush (the philosophy one has a weird sponge applicator) and I have returned to my original christian dior concealer. So far quite good + I use the BE glee for a bit of cheek colour.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Resurrecting this thread to post some Christmas gifts!

I had a lot of BE on my Amazon wishlist this year, and my family actually purchased it!
30.gif
I''m so lucky! I haven''t tried everything out yet, but we have here a Sephora French Tips and Toes pen, the BE Shake Your Tailfeather Kit, the BE Tahitian Sunset Glimpses, the BE Mystical Eye Quickies, and (since I got two of the Eye Quickies and took one back) a BE Cranberry Suede Lipstick and a sample size of Fekkai Glossing Spray.http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P142304&categoryId=B70

DSC03846.jpg

DSC03842.jpg

Tried the Tahitian Glimpses yesterday, and they are a little too orange-y for me during the winter since I am not tan. These will be great to use in the summer. Tried the Mystery shadow from the Mystical Eye set on Christmas day, and got TONS of family compliments on it. It''s an iridescent dusty purple that looks really nice on me. Also tried the Cranberry Suede lipstick and love it, though it seems to wear off rather quickly, and the Buxom gloss in Dolly from the Tailfeather set (made my lips feel cool tingly due to the "plumpers" in it, not pleasant yet not uncomfortable either, just weird).

Will try to post a few pics of this stuff on me sometime soon.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Equ, when you use the lipstick, try put it on with a brush, blotting lightly, then, holding the tissue up against your mouth, LIGHTLY and with a big fluffy brush, dust some powder on the tissue...also, some make up artists like using pencil AFTER the lipstick is on...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the BE starter kit for x-mas. I am so excited to try it out!!!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I posted a while back in this thread about how I didn''t like BE makeup -- felt it deadened my skin, couldn''t find the right shade for my skin tone, etc. But after reading all these glowing reviews of it, I decided to revisit it, and I''m glad I did! I had originally had the light starter kit, and both shades in it were way too yellow for my skin. But now they''ve got a lighter shade (can''t think of the name of it, but it''s the lightest one they''ve got), and it''s perfect for me. I also bought the Clear Radiance. I mix the two powders together in the lid (just small amts of each), and just put on ONE application of the two powders together -- and that works just perfectly for me! Using one app of each powder was too cakey-looking for me, but the one blended application is just right -- yay!!
36.gif

Oh, and I
emlove.gif
Fekkai hair products too, Equ!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
El- I am sure having the right color *IS* key! I went to Ulta and they tried some out and told me I was a medium beige. I am glad you tried it again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results