Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re:

Chrono said:
Date: 6/20/2010 7:46:34 AM
Author: virgoruby
Your Mahenge is just stunning.
30.gif
I would love to know what grading it would be according to the GIA CS grading system...
I sometimes wonder this myself.  However, I am not going to have it unset now and sent miles away for so many days to GIA.  Perhaps TL might be able to help as she has access to GemEWizard.

It's funny because the GIA doesn't give color grades for colored gems on their lab reports, the AGL does. If you really wanted to know what it was according to the GIA grading system, then Richard Sheerwood would be able to tell you. He's conservative too, so he wouldn't give it a strong saturation level unless he truly felt it deserved it.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Such an amazing stone Chrono. I'm interested to know - in your avatar pic it looks more red and in your pics more pink, I like both, they're both intense and beautiful. Does it show that redder tone too and if so is it in certain light? I ask because I would like a spinel that leaned more to the red, so a pinkish red I suppose. Any advise would be appreciated.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
:love: ....nuff said!

Lori

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
klewis said:
Such an amazing stone Chrono. I'm interested to know - in your avatar pic it looks more red and in your pics more pink, I like both, they're both intense and beautiful. Does it show that redder tone too and if so is it in certain light? I ask because I would like a spinel that leaned more to the red, so a pinkish red I suppose. Any advise would be appreciated.

Klewis,
You have expensive taste! :) In general, the more red a stone has, the more valuable it is. This is true of the Mahenge spinels, as well of the new Rubellites.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It's really lovely! It looks sort of hot pink in the photos. Is it more of a red or pink in real life?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
This ring is a showstopper. If I ever saw a ring like that in real life I'd be asking so many questions about it!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning :love:

agatha.nl

Shiny_Rock
it's gorgeous, chrono!!! :shock: :cheeky: i have my eye on this setting with a deep amethyst :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
klewis said:

I'm not Chrono, but I can tell you that pinkish red mahenges tend to go more red in sunlight due to the fluorescence.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet said:
klewis said:

Klewis,
You have expensive taste! :) In general, the more red a stone has, the more valuable it is. This is true of the Mahenge spinels, as well of the new Rubellites.

If only my budget afforded my taste :(sad

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
klewis said:

I'm not Chrono, but I can tell you that pinkish red mahenges tend to go more red in sunlight due to the fluorescence.

Thanks for the advice TL. Does the fluorescence intensify the pink too, or only the red?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
klewis said:
tourmaline_lover said:
klewis said:

Thanks for the advice TL. Does the fluorescence intensify the pink too, or only the red?

Yes, it intensifies both pink and red, especially if it is strong fluor. I saw a mahenge with weak fluor, and it just didn't do a thing for me, even outside in the sun. :knockout:

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono: Your ring is so beautiful. Your Mahenge spinel is one of the best spinels ever posted on Pricescope. I know some people consider pure red to be the most desirable color for spinels, but I think the intense 'shocking' pinkish red in Mahenge spinels is a prettier color. What I find amazing in these stones is there is no extinction at all and they look like there is a light glowing from within the stone. I am not surprised the prices have gone up.

AN

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, this mahenge is just stunning. I'm turning into a gemstone junkie on this forum!!! It's making me gem hungry! I'd never heard of Mahenge spinels before. Can you tell me what to look for? :appl: :appl: :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Klewis and InnerKitten,
Thanks! Yes, sometimes, it is redder or pink red/red pink depending on the lighting condition. It appears the reddest when viewed in the morning or evening sunlight. The nice thing about it though is that it never loses the intensity no matter which shade it is, be it redder or pinker. The saturation also kicks up a notch outdoors though due to the red fluorescence, so TL is correct about fluorescence helping it look more intense.

You PS ladies are incredibly sweet; thank you for stoking my ego about my Mahenge ring. :bigsmile: I’ve put it away for the moment in favour of my OMC RHR but everyone is making me reconsider taking it out of the box as the jewel du jour.

AN,
I feel the same about your spectacular Leon Mahenge ring creation; it has it all in a single package from the unique and impeccable setting to the colour, size, and shape of the Mahenge. :love: I agree that the shocking pinkish reds are distinctive and gorgeous in their own right. I also agree that they appear to glow with seemingly no extinction.

Vbnet,
Better jump on the Mahenge bandwagon soon before prices go through the roof. I know some precision cutters might have rough material left, and you’ll also see that quite a few PSers have purchased from Gemburionline / Odysseygems. As with most coloured gemstones, the intensity of colour set the price. In smaller sizes, many are hot pink though not always (I’ve seen some very reddish Mahenges under 2 carats). I’ve also seen some that are orangish pink or slightly orangish pink if you like that hue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results