shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge Pink Spinel from AJS Gems

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had it a couple of days but been really busy. I want your opinions.

Stone is 4.54ct checker board oval cut pink spinel from AJS Gems. It is a beautiful lively stone. Great color. It does have some, what I assume is called extinction? Going dark in different areas of the stone with different angles, lighting. It has some color shifts in different lighting, from bright pink to somewhat of an orangy pink. ( TL )

My thoughts: Great size, beautiful pink, even am OK with the orangy tones. I am not crazy about the checker board cut.

What I am not sure about is, would I be getting my money's worth for this stone? Some of you will know what I paid for it.

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think its beautiful BUT if you aren't loving the checkerboard cut I doubt its going to grow on you.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More

IMG_0798.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, this is a red that I have on hold to ship for me to see :naughty:

What do you think of it?

Red Spinel.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1306636474|2932822 said:

What do you think of it?

I think you will have to evaluate it in person. I could see this stone going extinct in certain lighting.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are actually some times when the color of pink looks similar to this one

Attachments

• Art Nouveau's Spinel.bmp
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,614

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do you think of it?

To be honest, I intensely dislike this spinel cushion you have on hold. It looks like a pyrope garnet. :knockout:

As for your AJS spinel, it's very pretty, but I don't think I would want an orangy pink in incandescent light for that price. Some hold their pink color in incandescent light, and for what you're paying, it should. It also doesn't look clean to me. Is it eye clean? If you're not 100% in love with it, return it. For that much money, you should be completely happy.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

What do you think of it?

It looks like it could go either way. Maybe in person when it is in motion it will be bright and lively. One photograph does not give you enough to go on.

I dont like the checkerboard either and for that kind of money it should be spectacular

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1306637196|2932833 said:

What do you think of it?

To be honest, I intensely dislike this spinel cushion you have on hold. It looks like a pyrope garnet. :knockout:

As for your AJS spinel, it's very pretty, but I don't think I would want an orangy pink in incandescent light for that price. Some hold their pink color in incandescent light, and for what you're paying, it should. It also doesn't look clean to me. Is it eye clean? If you're not 100% in love with it, return it. For that much money, you should be completely happy.

Here is the link to the red stone. Richard says it is a fabulous stone.
http://www.rwwise.com/products/id%7C1083

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306637778|2932847 said:
TL|1306637196|2932833 said:

What do you think of it?

Here is the link to the red stone. Richard says it is a fabulous stone.
http://www.rwwise.com/products/id%7C1083

Of course he does. ;-) :roll:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring with spinel and diamonds - is it Andrew Sarosi's ring with 3+ct red spinel, right? For 25 K? It looks like it... Well, honestly, I like the spinel from AJS, but none of the stones looks comparable to it. Sorry if it is a different stone... It just looked like one.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
herekittykitty|1306636271|2932815 said:
I think its beautiful BUT if you aren't loving the checkerboard cut I doubt its going to grow on you.
I agree. Cut will be a huge factor in the end

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
TL, can you think of a new way to insult stones without comparing them to garnets please? In the red pear thread you said that it
"reminds me of a spessartite garnet actually, it's so orange, and I see brown too." And here you say the red spinel looks like a "pyrope garnet :knockout: " I like garnets and I hate seeing them referred to so negatively and with such a snotty tone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1306638831|2932868 said:
TL, can you think of a new way to insult stones without comparing them to garnets please? In the red pear thread you said that it
"reminds me of a spessartite garnet actually, it's so orange, and I see brown too." And here you say the red spinel looks like a "pyrope garnet :knockout: " I like garnets and I hate seeing them referred to so negatively and with such a snotty tone.

I apologize. I don't know how else to sometimes describe them. Some garnets are very beautiful, and yet, many pyropes, are very dark in tone and inexpensive. I feel awful for someone to pay thousands of dollars on something that looks like a pyrope garnet. Spessartite garnets are very beautiful in the mandarin colors, but regular spessartites have a brownish color that makes them very inexpensive and much less desirable. It's my way of saying, yes, you can get a cheaper stone for that money.

I love garnets, I just made a major purchase of one myself. Perhaps a visual would be better. Here are poor examples of a spessartite and a pyrope. I realize some people may like these colors, but they are very undesirable in the trade and very inexpensive. Therefore, you should not be paying thousands of dollars for a look alike IMHO.

browngarnets.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL

Where would you suggest I find the perfect spinel?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1306639344|2932877 said:
herekittykitty|1306638831|2932868 said:

I apologize. I don't know how else to sometimes describe them. Some garnets are very beautiful, and yet, many pyropes, are very dark in tone and inexpensive. I feel awful for someone to pay thousands of dollars on something that looks like a pyrope garnet. Spessartite garnets are very beautiful in the mandarin colors, but regular spessartites have a brownish color that makes them very inexpensive and much less desirable. It's my way of saying, yes, you can get a cheaper stone for that money.

I love garnets, I just made a major purchase of one myself. Perhaps a visual would be better. Here are poor examples of a spessartite and a pyrope. I realize some people may like these colors, but they are very undesirable in the trade and very inexpensive. Therefore, you should not be paying thousands of dollars for a look alike IMHO.

When you explain it, it sounds reasonable and accurate. When I read it in a 5 word description, it sounds negative. I know you just want what is best everyone. :)

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1306639550|2932885 said:
TL

Not TL but chiming in. I think you need to decide whether you want hot pink or red first.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL

At a gem show perhaps, where you can find better pricing, but you should bring someone with you that understands gems well. Red spinels are very very rare, and many are misrepresented as red by many vendors. I'm sorry to be blunt, but I feel like that's all I have been seeing lately. There are also some places that I cannot mention on PS due to forum rules that may have some people that can guide you in the right direction. I know it's frustrating, but you can't find the perfect one overnight. ABGF took a long time to find her perfect red, and she had some help. I think ArtNouveau did too. That woman can wait for years for the perfect gem. I know it's frustrating, and I'm very sorry for that.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1306639801|2932892 said:
TL

At a gem show perhaps, where you can find better pricing, but you should bring someone with you that understands gems well. Red spinels are very very rare, and many are misrepresented as red by many vendors. I'm sorry to be blunt, but I feel like that's all I have been seeing lately. There are also some places that I cannot mention on PS due to forum rules that may have some people that can guide you in the right direction. I know it's frustrating, but you can't find the perfect one overnight. ABGF took a long time to find her perfect red, and she had some help. I think ArtNouveau did too. That woman can wait for years for the perfect gem. I know it's frustrating, and I'm very sorry for that.
Are you talking about a place where one can learn about gemology online TL?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1306639646|2932886 said:
When you explain it, it sounds reasonable and accurate. When I read it in a 5 word description, it sounds negative. I know you just want what is best everyone. :)

Thanks HKK,
Again I apologize for sounding harsh, especially about garnets. I really do love them, but in any gem family, there are good specimens and there are bad. I should have made the distinction better. :bigsmile:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL

Would you mind going on to Pala Gems site, look at their spinels and give me suggestions? I don't have access to gems shows in my area. I realy would like one similar to ArtNouveau's in color and size 3-4ct.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1306639965|2932894 said:
TL

It's not GO, that's for sure. It's a group on a well known "friend" site.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1306640125|2932898 said:
herekittykitty|1306639965|2932894 said:
TL

It's not GO, that's for sure. It's a group on a well known "friend" site.
I wish I knew!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306640108|2932897 said:
TL

Would you mind going on to Pala Gems site, look at their spinels and give me suggestions? I don't have access to gems shows in my area. I realy would like one similar to ArtNouveau's in color and size 3-4ct.

I went looking at Pala not too long ago for red spinels, and I didn't see anything I liked. I'm sorry. I think the really beautiful ones are being scooped up immediately by people with good connections in the trade, and I don't see anything left. I also think that you should make a distinction if you want hot pink or red, as HKK suggested. It will be less difficult to find a hot pink than a red. ArtNouveau's is a hot pink more than a red red. At least it appears that way to me from the photos.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1306640969|2932910 said:

I think it's a bit too purple, and you should definitely ask about the color shift. However, I think he would take $5K for that piece. I would make an offer. Lately Tan has been getting in newer material, and it does have the nasty color shift from what I've heard. However, he does have a good return policy if you're not worried about returns to Thailand.

BTW, this man wrote the first book on spinels and he's a dealer. He may not sell to private individuals, but he may be able to lead you in the right direction. This is his website. Explain your frustration with red spinels being too orange or too purple. At the price points you're looking at, I would hope he could give you some help.

http://yavorskyy.com/

I would also study the difference between saturation and tone as many people mistake dark tone for fine saturation. There is a difference, and if you don't know that, vendors spot that right away, and they can mislead you into buying an inferior gem.

http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Color_grading

I really think it's very important to study a gem before you buy it. Even more so with an expensive rare gem like red spinel.

There's some excellent photos of red spinels on this web page.

http://www.cijintl.com/Topics-355-Articles on Colored Stones.html

Nomad is a very high end dealer and they only sell to the trade, but they have some amazing gems to look at.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't like the color or the checkerboard top.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results