shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge 10K PS Gift

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm finally ready to make my announcement as to what I am doing with my 10K gift from the generous owner of PS and the moderators (Ali and Andrey) who have worked tireless to keep the forums running smoothly.

Initially, I had no idea what to do, which stone to set, which design, etc. It was a toss up between my 2.15 ct cushion tsavorite or newly acquired 4.85 ct pear Mahenge both from Swala. It finally came down to the availability of material. I really wanted to set the tsavorite as a 3 stone with hot pink sidestones but the sidestones have presented themselves to be a challenge, hence will be a long term project.

I then moved on to setting the pear but didn't want anymore halos. After much debate between baguette, shield and bullet sidestones, that was eventually scrapped too. Those designs are very classic and sleek but I wanted a little more excitement. Finally, TL showed me a design she saw elsewhere and I was smitten.

My thanks to WF for the patience and expert advice all the way. The project is only in its beginning stages, which I will update here as it progresses.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me start with Swala''s original picture that he used on his website. As you will see later, it''s not a very good photograph.

485pearMahenge.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a newer picture that was taken by request which shows the glow that Mahenges are famous for.

5ctpearmahenge.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the requisite hand shot. Note that that is NOT my hand.
9.gif

ref10069handsmall.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
30.gif
wow that is such a goreous stone chrono! Sorry I interupted the flow but I HAD to say it
3.gif

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color! Looking forward to this project unfold!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Chrono - what an excellent choice. It literally lights up doesn''t it? I can''t wait to see it. Please can you spill a few more beans about the setting? You have such great taste and I know I''m going to love it. Lucky you (and you deserve the wonderful gift). Very many congratulations.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all know I said no more halos, right? Well, it''s going to be a DOUBLE halo.
23.gif
Well, not double in the usual sense though. It will have a single halo around the 12 x 8 mm pear (I can''t recall the exact measurement at the moment) and a second halo at the base, facing outward towards the onlooker. The original design has melees down the shank too but I figured with a skinny finger and large stone, it is going to be wasted since I don''t have the finger real estate for it. Naturally, all will be done in platinum. I can''t wait for the CAD to be completed so I can show everyone the design. In the meantime, you will just have to imagine it.
25.gif
9.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous !
30.gif

I love stones that glow.

And you certainly deserve this gift - you helpful, great person - you.

What color gold? Now that stone is a red with what kind of/any undertone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to Arcadian, MTG, LD and Sonoma for your kind words. You ladies are so sweet.

Under diffused natural sunlight, the Mahenge appears a very rich intense red. At other times, it is a red stone with hot pink flashes. Depending on the light source, it can also be a reddish pink or pinkish red stone but it never fails to glow at all times. Under incandescent lighting, it becomes a watermelon pink/red colour. Strangely enough, it doesn''t show any bow ties, and the tip doesn''t have a different colour, unlike most pear cuts. The colour appears to be evenly distributed.

Sonoma,
This stone looks great with any colour metal. However, since it is very special and will be done with pave, WF will be doing this in iridium platinum.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh mercy that is going to be spectacular!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Platinum - swoon

36.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 5:29:44 PM
Author: Chrono
Thank you to Arcadian, MTG, LD and Sonoma for your kind words. You ladies are so sweet.

Under diffused natural sunlight, the Mahenge appears a very rich intense red. At other times, it is a red stone with hot pink flashes. Depending on the light source, it can also be a reddish pink or pinkish red stone but it never fails to glow at all times. Under incandescent lighting, it becomes a watermelon pink/red colour. Strangely enough, it doesn't show any bow ties, and the tip doesn't have a different colour, unlike most pear cuts. The colour appears to be evenly distributed.

Sonoma,
This stone looks great with any colour metal. However, since it is very special and will be done with pave, WF will be doing this in iridium platinum.

Beautiful spinel you have there Chrono and it is a really nice size also ! The glow of these Mahenge stones is really something so rare in general for spinels. From the pics it looks to have a very small amount of ":silk" which may be the reason why the color is so evenly spread with an almost total lack of any extinction. Just perfect by what I see on my moniter!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow!!! That stone is spectacular...and it''s a whopper!!
9.gif

Any chance you wanna share the design that inspired you??
31.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Great choice of a stone to set, Chrono! Thank you for letting us follow this project. It will be a lot of fun for us, and should make a spectacular piece of jewelery. Love, love, love the Mahenge!
36.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on deciding. Can''t wait to see the CADs ... the stone is a stunner!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
The "double halo" is going to be very interesting! Looking forward to the CADs.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhh ahhhhhh I can''t wait to see the CAD!!! Beautiful stone and congatulations again! you deserve it!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Awesome color and size!!!!

cheers--Sharon

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,
That''s a very glowy, impressive and important stone.
30.gif
I''m so glad you got it. Now we just need YOUR photographs. I can''t wait to see the CAD''s for the ring.
31.gif

trishy

Shiny_Rock
YUMMY!!!
36.gif
congrats on 10k... i am
4.gif
glad you are here... i
emlove.gif
reading your posts

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a gorgeous stone and I can''t wait to see what it will look like in that setting. It sounds beautiful!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Love the way it glows! Enjoy!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful stone. And I have to echo the posters that you really deserve it; I can always count on a knowledgeable answer from you on any thread.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Very beautiful stone and the setting sounds like it will be spectacular! What an exciting project!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Very, very beautiful stone. I can''t wait to see the CADs and the final product!
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incredible stone, can''t wait to see the CAD for this beauty!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a very cool looking stone!! Congrats on your PS gift and TFS your setting process with us.
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I am such a sucker for these Mahenge spinels. I want another and have yet to set my first
3.gif

That color looks incredible, though! I will be following the project as it progresses.. love that vicarious living
9.gif

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
That''s one glowing stone! Congratulations on the gift! Can''t wait to see the final results!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results