shape
carat
color
clarity

Made the decision yesterday (Princess)

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I saw 5 diamonds yesterday (a BGD Signature, a WF ACA, 2 GOG Signature, and a GOG Solasfera). I settled on the BGD, even though the dimensions are a little small for a 1 ct. When the appraiser first laid them out for me, this is the one that stood out to me, but I wasn't sure if it was because it was on the far left. I had him move them around and then I liked the new one on the far left (a GOG Signature). But when I would turn the plate 180 degrees, I never liked the one which would end up on the left after turning it, so I kind of threw that theory out. I ended up asking him which he liked best and he was between the BGD and the Solasfera (which are the same two I was between). I picked the BGD because it had a better color, a larger table (personal preference), and it was the one that grabbed me, even though the Solasfera was larger.

A little more on picking the BGD. Realistically, for my budget, I could get a 1 ct in about an I color. But I am going to foot the bill and spend some extra money to get a stone that is "mind clean" to me (a 1 ct G). Is it selfish that I am not taking this extra money and getting a 1.2 ct I instead?

I just thought I would share my experience.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no I don't think it is 'selfish' at all to get a 1 ct G over a 1.2 ct I...you have to go with your personal preferences. It looks like you picked a lovely stone, and that is so awesome that you got to compare all of these different ideal cuts in person to pick your favorite. Please post pictures of the finished ring once you get it!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree, not selfish at all! It's very cool that you were able to see so many of these stones in person, and the fact that one of them appealed to you more than the others goes to show that numbers can only take you so far, in the end you need to see the stones to know which one speaks to you! Congratulations! :appl: Did you decide to set it in a solataire? I can't wait to see pictures!! :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, very selfish. Obviously the proper thing to do is to buy both stones, budget be d*mned!

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I won't be purchasing the setting for probably at least 6 months. I have to get my finances back in order after buying the diamond. But in case you are interested, I am leaning towards a modification of this setting (2 rows on each rope instead of 3 to make it less wide). I will certainly be back learning about settings in a few months (not that I probably won't be around in the meantime looking at all of the pretty diamonds!).

JFoster1a.jpg

JFoster1b.jpg

JFoster1c.jpg

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1309660223|2960938 said:
yes, very selfish. Obviously the proper thing to do is to buy both stones, budget be d*mned!

Haha! I would be all for this, except she has already said that she won't accept an engagement diamond. ;(

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Great that you could see them all in person!

Color is a personal preference. I chose an I color princess because I couldn't tell the difference between it and higher colors. Our budget allowed higher color, but I wanted to be practical and save a bit. I think if you saw an I color in person and compared it to a G, you might be surprised at how white the I looks. At the same time, part of me wishes I got a higher color and wants to upgrade, not because of the tiny hint of color I can actually see from the profile view, but because everyone else seems to have higher colors than mine! It seems silly, but what I mean is that if I color isn't mind-clean for now, it's only going to get less mind-clean in the future!

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb|1309714991|2961168 said:
Great that you could see them all in person!

Color is a personal preference. I chose an I color princess because I couldn't tell the difference between it and higher colors. Our budget allowed higher color, but I wanted to be practical and save a bit. I think if you saw an I color in person and compared it to a G, you might be surprised at how white the I looks. At the same time, part of me wishes I got a higher color and wants to upgrade, not because of the tiny hint of color I can actually see from the profile view, but because everyone else seems to have higher colors than mine! It seems silly, but what I mean is that if I color isn't mind-clean for now, it's only going to get less mind-clean in the future!

Thank you. That does help me out. The Solasfera was an I color, and I really didn't notice a difference. I was sure it was going to be blatant, but I guess it was so well cut that I couldn't tell.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yup, the difference is a LOT more subtle than expected. I forgot for a minute that you did see them side by side, but I'm glad you were able to appreciate how similar they are, but I still think you made the right choice for yourself.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Any thoughts that I should go with this diamond instead, which is the same grade, same price, but much bigger? I don't think the ASET looks as good, but I'm no expert.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Deleted due to a silly post.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Ask BGD to compare the two if you're interested in this one. They're both guaranteed winners.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb|1309737413|2961293 said:
Ask BGD to compare the two if you're interested in this one. They're both guaranteed winners.

Sounds like a plan. Will do on Tuesday.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either would be very pretty. Can you compare them side by side too?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
marcy|1309750483|2961395 said:
I think either would be very pretty. Can you compare them side by side too?

I don't think so for two reasons. For one, I don't believe BGD will ship two stones, although I'm not sure about this. The bigger issue is that I don't know that I can afford another $200+ for shipping and appraiser's fees.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think they will ship two stones if you pay for them ;-) The 1.07 does measure a lot bigger. maybe ask BGD to do a comparison?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1309796486|2961564 said:
I think they will ship two stones if you pay for them ;-) The 1.07 does measure a lot bigger. maybe ask BGD to do a comparison?

Haha, I'm sure they would. I think I am indeed going to ask for a comparison. What kind of questions should I ask?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaebond, they are both lovely diamonds. Ask BGD If they can take some images with both diamonds in the same shot and lighting conditions. I don't know if they will make videos for you. You can also ask them their opinions such as what they see and speaks to them from each diamond. All things being equal I'd go with the larger diamond but neither diamond will disappoint you.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I suppose I could bite the bullet and see about this diamond which has larger dimensions. Am I correct that this diamond has a better ASET than this diamond? Or are they just different? Or is the second ASET better?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
About the same.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Really tough call. All the ASETs are great. I'd probably go with the 1.07 since it's both the biggest and the cheapest. It also has the largest table, which you mentioned you preferred.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results