shape
carat
color
clarity

Luck with SI2 Emerald Cut Diamond?

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock
Does any one have an SI2 emerald cut diamond that is eye clean? I'm looking at a 1.5 carat option, F colour SI1 with medium fluorescence that seems to be eye clean to me and my jeweler. I've seen it in person but should I be wary?

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
If you can't see it, and you and your jeweler have looked then I wouldn't be concerned. If it's pleasing to your eye, as an EC that's all that matters. What does the plot look like? It's possible that it's just in an area that is right off the table and that luckily does not reflect in any of the facets.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does any one have an SI2 emerald cut diamond that is eye clean? I'm looking at a 1.5 carat option, F colour SI1 with medium fluorescence that seems to be eye clean to me and my jeweler. I've seen it in person but should I be wary?
Look for @Matthews1127 thread on her EC SI2 (IIRC) - she has said that it is a 'unicorn' because it looks completely eye-clean and requires a loupe to see any inclusions, I think!

ECs and stepcuts are less forgiving of lower colour and clarity, but it is possible to find some eye-clean SI stones if you look long enough :)

If you have the stone on hold (so no-one else can snap it up) please do post a link for us to look at - regardless of the clarity, stepcuts need to be cut well to really perform.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 4ct, H color, SI1 emerald cut that was completely eye clean. I'm a very practical person and I really love lower clarity stones (and fluorescence) to keep the price down -- I hate paying for things I can't see! So if you've seen the stone in person and you love it I would not worry about it at all, with the minor caveat below.

I think it's pretty rare for an SI1 to have structural issues, so that would be the only thing I would ask your jeweler and the experts on PS to weigh in on.

Post some pics!

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments so far they're super helpful! Here are some pics I just took quickly. I'm going back to see the stone again this week. The black dots on the first pic are from the paper and not the stone itself so please ignore. Any thoughts on the cut?

1.52 carat
F colour SI2
medium fluorescence
Excellent cut
Excellent symmetry
IMG_8510 copy.jpg IMG_8511 copy.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The facet patterning in the first picture looks quite nice, but the feathers (cracks) meeting the surface on the crown facets could potentially create a durability issue?

You might have to get it appraised by an expert to be sure.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You know I'm a big fan of yours @OoohShiny.....:D

But do need to correct the impression that feathers are "cracks"
While it's true that a feather may break the surface, in an SI graded diamond you'll need stone magnification to see that aspect ( the feather itself might be visible- but generally never the place it breaks the surface)
Calling a feather a "crack" is misleading ( not that you were trying to mislead!)
I've never seen an emerald cut graded SI by GIA where a feather presented a structural issue- and as a lover of SI emerald cuts, I've seen tons.
Including many SI2's that were indeed eye clean.

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock

While it's true that a feather may break the surface, in an SI graded diamond you'll need stone magnification to see that aspect ( the feather itself might be visible- but generally never the place it breaks the surface)
Calling a feather a "crack" is misleading ( not that you were trying to mislead!)
I've never seen an emerald cut graded SI by GIA where a feather presented a structural issue- and as a lover of SI emerald cuts, I've seen tons.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this stone as well!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI @blingisintheair
As a vendor myself, I'm not allowed to comment on stones being offered by other vendors- but if you're looking at the stone, and you love it, that's your answer:)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I can see the clouds and clear inclusions on the left side. The only thing that matters is if you can live with it and does the stone speak to you?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E4FBD195-46CB-4EB3-ADCF-26A7A36DF7FE.jpeg

Attachments

• 324281D5-47C2-4290-ABA5-C87BC91C7568.jpeg
    324281D5-47C2-4290-ABA5-C87BC91C7568.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 27

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But it could be fingerprint, dirt, oil etc

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock
But it could be fingerprint, dirt, oil etc
Yes there were some fingerprints he wiped off after I took the pick but I will check to make sure. Any thoughts on the cut/facets?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw, I love an eye lean Si1 or 2. My CBI diamond In my avatar are si 1 and 2.

I would have to see a video and likely see it in person. It looks like it’s worth it to go see it again. To me, step cuts aren’t well explained except by your eyes.

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock
Btw, I love an eye lean Si1 or 2. My CBI diamond In my avatar are si 1 and 2.

I would have to see a video and likely see it in person. It looks like it’s worth it to go see it again. To me, step cuts aren’t well explained except by your eyes.

Will report back when I see it this weekend. Your ring is gorgeous!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Look at it in all different kinds of lighting.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The clarity grade is slander on a beautiful diamond...

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock
What about the medium fluorescence? It's a F color and I've read that fluorescence on G and above color grades could potentially cause haze?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Eye clean in all lighting and angles is much more rare in si than eye cleanish some of the time.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I personally would not consider any diamond with a cavity.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
It is a little tough to judge from the pictures, but from what I can see I really like the shape and faceting! It looks very pretty and bright. Definitely take a close look when you go back, and ask for a stone holder so you can see how it looks on the hand and move it around, etc.

I would not worry about the medium fluorescence. My 4ct H color EC had medium fluor and there was zero haziness or milkiness, and I've also owned two F color 3ct stones with strong fluor (one cushion and one emerald cut), and neither one had any negative effects from the fluor.

To help your assessment though, I would ask the jeweler if you can compare the stone you are considering against another similar stone that does not have any fluorescence. And to that end, I would definitely compare your stone against any other emerald cuts they have, just so you can get a sense of what other stones look like and what is most appealing to you.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I don't love the faceting in that video - I would want the steps to alternate between lighting up and going dark more evenly, versus the two dark bands you see here:

IMG_8281.PNG

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Are you open to a preloved stone? Not sure what kind of setting you are considering, but if I were you I would definitely consider the ring below, as the stone looks gorgeous and this is an extremely high quality setting from a very talented vendor. This is on consignment by a Pricescope member (I can't remember who), and Love Affair Diamonds offers a 7-day inspection period, so you can return the ring if you decide you don't love it.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-40ct-emerald-cut-diamond-in-leon-mege-solitaire-gia-g-si1/

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock
Are you open to a preloved stone? Not sure what kind of setting you are considering, but if I were you I would definitely consider the ring below, as the stone looks gorgeous and this is an extremely high quality setting from a very talented vendor. This is on consignment by a Pricescope member (I can't remember who), and Love Affair Diamonds offers a 7-day inspection period, so you can return the ring if you decide you don't love it.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-40ct-emerald-cut-diamond-in-leon-mege-solitaire-gia-g-si1/
It IS a lovely stone/setting but I am working with my jeweler to do a custom halo setting so unfortunately that’s not an option. Thanks for the thorough and helpful insight though, it’s very much appreciated!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Understood - good luck! I really hope you love the first stone you posted when you go back to see it, and if not don't stress or rush. You will find the right stone - sometimes it just takes awhile. I definitely think the first one has a lot of potential.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the information and the kind words!

I was sure I was correct in thinking a feather was, technically, a 'crack', but it is not unknown for me to be wrong ;-) :lol: lol

May I ask if there is a better 'plain english' definition to use? Or even a technical term?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
May I ask if there is a better 'plain english' definition to use? Or even a technical term?

In light of comments made right here on this thread- it's a timely question.
In terms of Feathers- the word "crack" has so many negative connotations. I guess we could say it's a fissure inside a diamond- sometimes meeting the surface. But I've never seen a diamond "crack" due to a feather. Diamonds do chip and sometimes can break
I tried to find the GIA article about it- there have been some contentious discussions about the term here on PS over the years.
The issue I see is that it's easy for such a term to needlessly create fear in a consumer.
Same for the term "cavity".
Far be it from me to tell someone what they should or should not buy- and I'm sure the comment here was made with the best of intentions.....but in a general discussion where a relative newcomer to diamonds is asking, someone stating how they'd never buy a diamond with a cavity seems destined to place doubt in someone's mind- where it's not necessarily applicable.
SI2 emerald cuts are generally not eye clean- but some are- and this might be one of them. Eliminating it for reasons that really don't have bearing on the quality/durability of the stone seems to be wrong to me.....so I tend to be careful with my words:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results