shape
carat
color
clarity

Low settings and warmer colored diamonds

trueblue101

Shiny_Rock
Hello All, I hope everyone is safe from Hurricane Irene's wrath! I have been reading up on warmer colored diamonds and the consensus seems to be that the warmth is usually seen from a side view of the ring. With that being said, do you think that less color will be visible if the diamond is set very low (like how Leon Mege usually sets his rings)?

Also, in what kind of lighting do you usually see the most warmth? Indoors? Under artificial light?

Many thanks.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think the height of the diamond in the setting has any effect on the diamond's perceived color , but rather the metals used in the setting (platinum/white gold vs yellow gold).

I had a K colored antique cushion and it was most visible in artificial lighting (and also depending on the surrounding wall color and top color I had since it reflects the surrounding's colors in the stone itself).

ROL is right.

Height doesn't matter- metal color and lighting do.. but also your shirt color and the walls around you :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If the color is seen the most by looking at the side of the diamond (at the pavillion), is it effective to set the diamond in a closed bezel with a white metal?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can say from experience that my 1.77 K was appraised as a J in a higher all 14k white gold setting, and as an L in my current very low Beverly K setting. Of course it depends on the diamond cut too, and mine is not ideal, but excellent cut. It is also a personal preference, when you're wearing the ring you still see the side view unless it is bezelled. Low to me is culet almost touching the finger, and that is how mine is set, in 18K white gold. Originally, it was set in a platinum head on an 18K yellow gold band, and IMO that made it look more yellow, but again, that's a personal viewpoint.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1314465872|3001677 said:
I don't think the height of the diamond in the setting has any effect on the diamond's perceived color , but rather the metals used in the setting (platinum/white gold vs yellow gold).

I had a K colored antique cushion and it was most visible in artificial lighting (and also depending on the surrounding wall color and top color I had since it reflects the surrounding's colors in the stone itself).

I agree. I think you should set it as you like. If you love the setting-- you'll love the ring more.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you actually see of a stone's body colour IRL depends on a lot of things I think - colour of surrounding metal, colour of the actual stone, type of setting and how much of the pavilion view it obscures - totally open to view, or bisected by prongs/crossbars, or virtually hidden, colour of your skin...

It's been my observation that the more difference there is between colour of stone and colour of setting, the more the contrast between stone colour and setting colour - so a J in rich 22k yellow gold will look "whiter" than a J surrounded by icy white metal or pale 10k yellow gold. More on this particular part of the discussion here

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear an O/P color OMB. It looks warm when I'm in warm colored rooms, or wearing warm colored shirts.

I agree with the others that you should set your stone in a setting that you love.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My I colored RB looks icy white in a "whellow" unplated white gold setting. I highly recommend that look for lower-colored stones!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you want to mask the tint, choosing a setting that has a crossbar may help.

but I agree...choose a setting that you like...for me the ring is about the stone and setting working well together.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think the setting has an impact on the color, but not the height the diamond is set at.

Here is an L pear in a halo...Nice and buttery

singlestoneLcolorpearwithhalo120002.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results