shape
carat
color
clarity

Low cost stones in high cost settings (POLL)

Have you ever set a CS in a setting that was more expensive than the stone?

• No:

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Yes: more than 5 times higher

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • Yes: 2-5 times higher

Votes: 41 38.3%
  • Yes: up to 2 times higher

Votes: 16 15.0%

• Total voters

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most PSers are very cost savvy. They find the
most amazing stones for reasonable prices
and even manage to set them in a low cost
setting that would stand out in a positive way
in luxurious jewelry stores.

But have you ever set your relatively low cost
stones in relatively luxurious settings. The
cost of the setting being higher compared to
the costs of the stone?

Please show them here!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Show your low cost stones in high cost settings

I admit that I did it :twisted:
Several times...
But the conversion rate was much much much better. I am now keeping costs down dramatically.

Here is my zircon in Victor Canera setting. Still glad I could opt for this setting back then.

_28601.jpg

_28603.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom, I'm with you on this one! The exchange rate is killing me!

I generally like to match the setting to the value of the stone - for instance most of my cheapie learner stones have been/will be set in argentium silver and my more expensive purchases in gold. Having said that, I often spend more on the setting than the stone. For instance, my Gene rhodolite was a steal at just over US$100 but I plan to set it in a custom made 18ct gold setting. My topaz was $10 or $20 off LT but its getting a 18ct white gold and diamond halo setting!

ETA: Now that I've thought about it I should probably edit my poll response!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1428229287|3857132 said:

I generally like to match the setting to the value of the stone - for instance most of my cheapie learner stones have been/will be set in argentium silver and my more expensive purchases in gold. Having said that, I often spend more on the setting than the stone. For instance, my Gene rhodolite was a steal at just over US$100 but I plan to set it in a custom made 18ct gold setting. My topaz was $10 or $20 off LT but its getting a 18ct white gold and diamond halo setting!

:lol:
Have you ever posted your topaz Ricezo? Please post a pic. Would love to see it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting for my aqua is just over 10x the cost of the stone itself, and the setting is only 14K WG with a few chips on the sides! :lol:

To me, the JD stone was a bargain, an EC cut that is very sparkly with just a hint of blue.

For the RH amethyst, the stone is likely to be more expensive than the setting, only time will tell.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this a few years ago and it was a costly mistake. The earring settings were about 2K but the stones (which I cannot share here because they are not real) were only a few hundred. I never wear the earrings though the settings are lovely because I just didn't realize I do not want to wear fake stones. It's the mind clean thing because they look great but I know they are fake and therefore never wear them. I wore the earrings exactly once and for only a couple of hours.

Costly mistake but lesson learned. I plan on resetting some lovely colored gems in place of the fake stones but haven't found the right pair yet and also have no clue who could set them for me around here. I don't want to do the setting long distance rather with someone local. But first I have to find the right gemstones to fit the setting. I am thinking blue on the lighter side and I love zircon.

Of course this could just be due to the fact that the stones I have are fake and it wouldn't bother me if the settings are more expensive if the stone is lovely and real. But in general I think I prefer to spend most of the budget on the stone and not the settings. I think but I will add it depends. How's that for decisive. :oops:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1428234832|3857145 said:
The setting for my aqua is just over 10x the cost of the stone itself, and the setting is only 14K WG with a few chips on the sides! :lol:

To me, the JD stone was a bargain, an EC cut that is very sparkly with just a hint of blue.

For the RH amethyst, the stone is likely to be more expensive than the setting, only time will tell.

Whahahahahahaha :lol: Well, upon reading this I might as wel admit that my diamond sugar setting was about 10 times the costs of the JD stone as well :twisted:
When will you receive your aqua ring DK?

These fall into the 'cost of setting higher than the stone' category as well:

_28608.jpg

_28609.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1428235588|3857146 said:
I did this a few years ago and it was a costly mistake. The earring settings were about 2K but the stones (which I cannot share here because they are not real) were only a few hundred. I never wear the earrings though the settings are lovely because I just didn't realize I do not want to wear fake stones. It's the mind clean thing because they look great but I know they are fake and therefore never wear them. I wore the earrings exactly once and for only a couple of hours.

Costly mistake but lesson learned. I plan on resetting some lovely colored gems in place of the fake stones but haven't found the right pair yet and also have no clue who could set them for me around here. I don't want to do the setting long distance rather with someone local. But first I have to find the right gemstones to fit the setting. I am thinking blue on the lighter side and I love zircon.

Of course this could just be due to the fact that the stones I have are fake and it wouldn't bother me if the settings are more expensive if the stone is lovely and real. But in general I think I prefer to spend most of the budget on the stone and not the settings. I think but I will add it depends. How's that for decisive. :oops:

Thanks for sharing Missy. Sorry to hear this. The stones are probably beautiful otherwise you would not have set them, but I do feel where you are coming from when you state that you do not want to wear fake stones or jewelry. Great idea to have new CS set in the beautiful earring settings. Please share the outcome! Looking forward to see your earrings.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The aqua is on its way to be set, it has arrived at the destination country, currently en-route to the jeweller, hopefully, it will be delivered soon and I'll have the ring in no time, can't wait!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually do the opposite. I set high cost stones in low cost settings. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to set a stone, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people wish to spend more money on the setting, and others, the stone. I do this out of budgetary constraints, as to me, the stone should be the most important part of the ring (just my preference), but then again, I have some thin and crappy settings I wish I could upgrade.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For all of my CS pieces the setting was more than the stone itself! [emoji23] the price of gold is quite high!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1428238437|3857158 said:
For all of my CS pieces the setting was more than the stone itself! [emoji23] the price of gold is quite high!

Yes, that's why a lot of people here do silver too. At one time, it was shocking to use silver for some nice colored stones, but not anymore. Gold is ridiculous, and even for 10K these days!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
T L said:

Yes, that's why a lot of people here do silver too. At one time, it was shocking to use silver for some nice colored stones, but not anymore. Gold is ridiculous, and even for 10K these days!
I would prefer to use silver as it's cheaper but I'm lazy and don't want to have to polish or replate it [emoji16] I am considering setting my next few projects in silver, though..

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168 said:
The aqua is on its way to be set, it has arrived at the destination country, currently en-route to the jeweller, hopefully, it will be delivered soon and I'll have the ring in no time, can't wait!

DK: that's great! Please make a lot of pics and create a thread once it's on your finger. Your aqua is a great buy!! I love the setting you choose for it.

TL said:
I actually do the opposite. I set high cost stones in low cost settings. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to set a stone, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people wish to spend more money on the setting, and others, the stone. I do this out of budgetary constraints, as to me, the stone should be the most important part of the ring (just my preference), but then again, I have some thin and crappy settings I wish I could upgrade.

TL: thanks for sharing your views!! I agree that there is no right or wrong but I would like to add that it's all about really loving the stone. Whether the stone was a great deal or more on the expensive side, as long as you love it, it's definitely worth setting. If not, it's a waste of money anyway. Also... It's all about the 'cost per wear': if you wear your jewelry regularly the justified expense can be higher.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1428240214|3857161 said:
T L said:

I would prefer to use silver as it's cheaper but I'm lazy and don't want to have to polish or replate it [emoji16] I am considering setting my next few projects in silver, though..

Hi TL and Mochiko :wavey:
Great idea actually to have custom rings made in silver! I love the artsy and 'warm white metal' look of silver. The oxidizing can indeed be annoying if the setting is not plain / polished.
What stones do you consider setting in silver Mochiko?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are one of the most savvy buyers here on PS Mochiko!! It would be really hard to beat the remarkably great prices you paid for your stone with even sharper prices for the gold settings 8-)

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. Been there, done that! But I do think the settings set off the stone beautifully. Did seem a little lopsided at the time but now I just enjoy the beauty....and the sparkle! Didnt vote as I couldn't get it to respond. Happy Easter and Passover! Dh says he passed 4 sunrise services on beach as he biked this am.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wordie89|1428242369|3857173 said:
Yup. Been there, done that! But I do think the settings set off the stone beautifully. Did seem a little lopsided at the time but now I just enjoy the beauty....and the sparkle! Didnt vote as I couldn't get it to respond. Happy Easter and Passover! Dh says he passed 4 sunrise services on beach as he biked this am.

Happy Easter Wordie! Please post some photo's! I want to see that beauty and sparkle :D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Growing up, my Dad had a jewellery store and employed several bench men. I bought tons of inexpensive but large gems, and had most of it set in handmade settings. They used to roll their eyes when would come with my stuff! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I started out by having the setting less costly or about equal to the price of the stone. However, when gold jumped the value on my settings jumped. So now in some cases the settings are worth more than the stones,

I have found that my local jewelers charge a bit on the theory of who looks as if they can pay more. So, I watched my jeweler look at my settings and then give me a price. Gold and diamonds went up so much that he thinks I paid a thousand or more. Thats what they are now. Stones are catching up, but my settings are much more than what I paid.

I happy with most of them. I like larger mm sizes for shanks, so mine have a good amount of gold. Of course many of you would think them not stylish enough.

Annette

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great topic and one I have been struggling with lately.

With the exception of a stone I set for sentimental reasons (and am now thinking of replacing because it bugs me), I usually try to keep the cost of the setting relative to the value of the stone. Given the price of gold mentioned by others, sometimes its more but never significantly. But seeing all of the stunning rings with beautiful custom and halo settings here has me questioning whether I should invest more in my settings to show off my prettier of stones regardless of value.

As an FYI - The Vietnamese jewelers that I often frequent carry only 18K+ settings and high end diamonds (and jade), yet surprisingly most of their colored stones are CZs. I have been told its quite common overseas as folks can't afford or have to save for the the real thing - and don't want a lesser looking stone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14K gold is still rare in the UK, it is usually 9K or 18K.

Compounded by the high labour cost, I prefer to have my settings made in the Far East for the stones to be set in the UK, or I may send the stones out to be set, having confirmed the jeweller is capable of setting the softer CSs first.

Acinom,

I promise to post pics of my aqua ring in "My CS Year 2015" thread. ;))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have done both. I think it depends on the stones, but I tend to be binary, going only with with platinum/18K gold, or Argentium silver.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With alloys like argentium silver, and those non tarnish jewelry boxes, worrying about silver tarnishing is not really such a concern these days. The bigger worry is the softness of silver. Since it is soft, I would just make sure that if you do use silver, use a strong alloy (like argentium), or thick prongs.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I want to second the comments on labor costs. Custom Argentium work can be pricey.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1428282704|3857366 said:
I want to second the comments on labor costs. Custom Argentium work can be pricey.

Any custom work is very expensive, silver or gold. It's helpful to get more calibrated size stones, so you can use premade settings, and just have a jeweler set them for you. However, unfortunately, not all gems come in calibrated sizes, nor do all jewelers want to set in silver, which is unfortunate. I think silver gets a bad rap because its cheap, but I think 14K gold is overpriced (it's not even pure metal).

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently went on a small setting buying spree from a jeweler who was retiring. The settings were all 18K with decent weight (3-5 grams) and diamond melee. At $200-$300 a piece with free sizing, it was hard to resist. My rationale was that I could sell what I decide not to use (actually, my bench jeweler has already offered).

Now, I just need to buy stones in calibrated sizes :lol: (Although I have a good bench jeweler who has made some things work for me at reasonable prices n the past).

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1428231166|3857137 said:
ricezo|1428229287|3857132 said:

:lol:
Have you ever posted your topaz Ricezo? Please post a pic. Would love to see it.

Here you go! It doesn't have its own thread yet, it's a beautiful medium to medium-dark teal topaz originally cut by Jeff Davies but purchased via LT. There is slightly more green in person than the photo suggests! I had planned on setting it earlier but have been a bit preoccupied with the world of pearls! :wavey:

_28645.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canuk-gal: :lol: Do you still have these rings? It must be so special to have custom jewelry from your own fathers bench.

smitcompton: Ah, I would love to see some of your pieces. Personally I like bold as well as classic pieces. And very dainty pieces do not work well on my hands. Don't be shy to post as all our tastes vary.

Limosun: valid point. I personally think somewhat higher costs for settings are ok if the emotional value of the stone as well as the 'beauty' is high. I do find so much inspiration in Mochiko's pieces as she manages to have high quality settings made that are made wigh love for a very reasonable price. That shopping spree sounds great by the way!!

DK: oh, I did not realise 14K is uncommon in the UK!
And I am keeping a close eye on your thread 8-) . Looking forward to see your Aqua ring!!!

Pregcurious: how binary indeed 8-) . Do you have a thread on your silver pieces?

TL: agree. Here in the Netherlands we see a lot of larger stones, like lapis, set in sturdy silver bezel rings.

Ricezo: what a fabulous color!! Thanks for sharing. You need an extensive thread with all your 2015 finds. You are quite on a roll. Will your own jeweller set it for you again. Sounds like a beautuful setting you have in mind.
And ah.. Those pearls can be very addictive as well :lol:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Acinom! I think I'll ask my local jeweller to set my Gene Rhodolite but I'm planning on having the topaz set by Jeff Davies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results