shape
carat
color
clarity

LOVE my oval diamond ring...but are the prongs weird?

dee3374

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

Discovered this site only a few weeks ago and have been lurking until now. BTW, LOVE all the eye-candy!

My new e-ring is stunning, and basically exactly what I wanted. The center stone glitters like crazy and the band is just the right amount of sparkle for me!

But I'm wondering if the prong setting is a little odd or totally normal. I've looked at other oval 6-prong settings on this site and haven't seen the type of setting I have.

The four prongs along the sides of the oval are nice and thin. They don't at all detract from the diamond and are hardly noticeable compared to the sparkle in the stone. However, the top and bottom prongs that hold the narrow ends of the oval are almost double the width of the thinner prongs. At a glance you may not notice, but on closer inspection, it's quite evident that the two end-prongs are more pronounced than the side prongs. Is this normal for a 6-prong oval-stone setting? Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, it's a structural necessity to protect the stone? Finally, if I can change it, is it worth the cost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
photo_11.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if it's normal or not, but I personally don't like the look of the prongs (the rest of it is beautiful! :love: ) I think they'd look nicer if there were two offset on top and bottom and one on the right, one on the left.

So, after google, it looks to be the normal way to set the stone.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE your oval diamond ring too! :love: I think that is the typical formation of prings- as for the thickness- it may be because the sides have 4 prongs securing it and the top and bottom only have two so they made them thicker to be more secure????

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
The only question is do you like your ring as it is today? Whether it's "normal" or not, your diamond is securely set. So it's all about the way you feel about it.

Then if you decide you don't like it, don't hesitate to change the setting. Whatever the price it will be worth it as long as you are happy with the new one!

By the way, on the picture it doesn't look weird to me: I think your ring is beautiful as it is :)

dee3374

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advise and compliments. I'll ask about what my options are for the prongs. I hope it's as simple as replace just those two with prongs equal to the ones on the sides....and hopefully at a minimal cost. Actually I need to have it sized down anyway, so may as well make the adjustment while it's "in the shop."

Here's another image where you can see the disparity a little better.

Thanks again!

photo(2)_0.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer a 4 prong setting for an oval (see attached). I think anything more than 4 prongs begins to make it look like a marquise or something.

Screen shot 2010-12-08 at 4.36.39 PM.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty ring but I'd agree that it's unusual to see 6 prongs - it's much more normal to see that type of setting for a marquise. I love my oval and I've just checked to see where the prongs are (couldn't remember!) and it has prongs at 10, 2, 4 and 8 o'clock. There's no reason why the head couldn't be changed on your ring if you want and it should be too expensive.

dee3374

Rough_Rock
That's a good point, Tanzigrrl and LovingDiamonds. I thought about making it a 4-prong setting instead. I do like how there's minimal interference with the center stone.

So I imagine this would require them to not only remove the header and footer prongs, but also space out the side prongs. I'm not going to make any changes before January, so I have a little time to decide.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like it as is!

dee3374

Rough_Rock
Thanks, motownmama!

I went ahead and did a down-and-dirty Photoshop of the ring as a 4-prong. Thoughts? I hate being obsessive but I'm gonna be carrying this little bugger around for a looooong time!

photo(3).jpg

dee3374

Rough_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1291844986|2791392 said:
It's a very pretty ring but I'd agree that it's unusual to see 6 prongs - it's much more normal to see that type of setting for a marquise. I love my oval and I've just checked to see where the prongs are (couldn't remember!) and it has prongs at 10, 2, 4 and 8 o'clock. There's no reason why the head couldn't be changed on your ring if you want and it should be too expensive.

Do you have an image of your ring that you could post. I'd love to see your setting.

brittany0613

Rough_Rock
I think it is gorgeous (LOVE ovals!!), but it's all about what you prefer. Seeing your gorgeous oval makes me all the more excited to get my oval e-ring when BF decides to!!!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
It'd be helpful to see a side profile of your ring (which is BEE-AUTIFUL, by the way). I would prefer the 4 prongs, but we may be able to tell you how difficult/easy the prong change procedure is with a profile look. Is the head integrated into the ring? Is it a peg head?

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I like the photoshopped 4 prong version.. It makes your stone stand out more and look more oval! I can see the thicker prongs in the 2nd pic and it would bother me but I tend to focus on that sort of minor thing!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the 4 prong version...just for the fact that those 2 bigger prongs draw my eyes to them instead of the stone!

Your ring is really pretty!

dee3374

Rough_Rock
iota15|1291861071|2791681 said:
It'd be helpful to see a side profile of your ring (which is BEE-AUTIFUL, by the way). I would prefer the 4 prongs, but we may be able to tell you how difficult/easy the prong change procedure is with a profile look. Is the head integrated into the ring? Is it a peg head?

Here' a side view of the mounting from the website.

It's a lovely high-set cathedral. You can see that for a RB, they offer 4-prongs. However I decide to change it, I'll be sure to post the new pics!

R-1432.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the 4 prong as well.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I think the 4 prong makes it look like and OVAL. the six prong seems like over kill.

Otherwise you ring is stunning :love:

:bigsmile:

stci

Ideal_Rock
lovemybling|1291916501|2792172 said:
I have to say I think the 4 prong makes it look like and OVAL. the six prong seems like over kill.

Otherwise you ring is stunning :love:

:bigsmile:

I agree!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
your ring is gorgeous! but i echo what everyone else says, for my personal tastes i like the 4 prong setting you photoshoped. let us know what you decide!!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful. Am I the only one who like the 6 prongs?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I like it too; but of course it's the owner's preference that counts!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
How about a four claw prongs?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, I like them too.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Gothgrrl|1291953235|2792840 said:

No you're not. I definitely like the 6 prongs better, but would ask the jeweler to polish down the end prongs a bit. They could be polished down to better match the other 4 and it would look perfect to me. More secure, too.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
good idea - try that!

dee3374

Rough_Rock
Gothgrrl|1291953235|2792840 said:

Actually for this setting, I decided I prefer 6-prongs to 4. The cathedral is traditional/classic, and personally I think 6 prongs fits that style better. Whereas 4 prongs seems like it should be on a more modern setting.

I decided to have the end prongs sized down to match the width of the other prongs. That should eliminate the "marquis" look of the stone.

I'll make the change in January and post new pics then.

Thanks, everyone for the great feedback and compliments!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results