Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Lots Of Lurkers Without Original Ideas

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
First there was this thread started by Gypsy, which we all enjoyed, dated May 25;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-days-can-you-go-with-out-spending-any-money.161066/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-days-can-you-go-with-out-spending-any-money.161066/page-2[/URL]

Now there is this article by a Yahoo Contributer, dated May 31:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/First-Person-10-Days-No-ac-3259266898.html

Coincidence? I don't think so . . . :rolleyes:

I've noticed this a lot on the net lately. There are a few sites that it seems everyone is going to for story ideas. I think PS is one of those sites.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
but that thread was itself inspired by a TV show...

anyway someone suggested this earlier (that PS seems to be 'first' on a lot of these things). I doubt it but who knows?
 

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
5,655
iLander|1306950855|2935482 said:
First there was this thread started by Gypsy, which we all enjoyed, dated May 25;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-days-can-you-go-with-out-spending-any-money.161066/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-days-can-you-go-with-out-spending-any-money.161066/page-2[/URL]

Now there is this article by a Yahoo Contributer, dated May 31:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/First-Person-10-Days-No-ac-3259266898.html

Coincidence? I don't think so . . . :rolleyes:

I've noticed this a lot on the net lately. There are a few sites that it seems everyone is going to for story ideas. I think PS is one of those sites.
The thread you are talking about was started by "part gypsy" not "Gypsy". Layla is hardly a lurker, she's here quite often.
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
And I actually notice a lot of these topics on "woman-oriented" boards before I see them here: Jezebel, or the Style section of the NYT. I think there's a certain amount of circular feedback on the blogosphere, and nobody's first all the time ....
 

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
476
I have seen articles about not spending money for 5, 10, how many every days for years (and I am sure they existed before I cared about $ topics enough to read them and notice the repetitiveness) . I really don't think that part-gypsy came up with an "original" idea herself. Here on PS, they don't have to be original to be interesting! I am sure topics recycle anywhere from every month to every year.
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
slg47|1306950944|2935485 said:
but that thread was itself inspired by a TV show...

anyway someone suggested this earlier (that PS seems to be 'first' on a lot of these things). I doubt it but who knows?
There's a TV show? Really? I had no idea . . . :oops:
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
swingirl|1306951538|2935495 said:
iLander|1306950855|2935482 said:
First there was this thread started by Gypsy, which we all enjoyed, dated May 25;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-days-can-you-go-with-out-spending-any-money.161066/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-days-can-you-go-with-out-spending-any-money.161066/page-2[/URL]

Now there is this article by a Yahoo Contributer, dated May 31:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/First-Person-10-Days-No-ac-3259266898.html

Coincidence? I don't think so . . . :rolleyes:

I've noticed this a lot on the net lately. There are a few sites that it seems everyone is going to for story ideas. I think PS is one of those sites.
The thread you are talking about was started by "part gypsy" not "Gypsy". Layla is hardly a lurker, she's here quite often.
Actually I was implying the yahoo person was a lurker on PS. But actually it's all moot, since it's apparently a TV show.
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
Circe|1306951979|2935503 said:
And I actually notice a lot of these topics on "woman-oriented" boards before I see them here: Jezebel, or the Style section of the NYT. I think there's a certain amount of circular feedback on the blogosphere, and nobody's first all the time ....
You're right, as usual Circe. I was just surprised to see the article and I'm so proud of PS, I guess I figured we were the center of the net. :lol:
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
iugurl|1306953178|2935527 said:
I have seen articles about not spending money for 5, 10, how many every days for years (and I am sure they existed before I cared about $ topics enough to read them and notice the repetitiveness) . I really don't think that part-gypsy came up with an "original" idea herself. Here on PS, they don't have to be original to be interesting! I am sure topics recycle anywhere from every month to every year.

It's true, there's nothing new under the sun.
 

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 18, 2008
Messages
6,689
Have you ever read The Secret? Theres an interesting concept in there which I'm goin to butcher because it's been a while since I've read the book. Basically it talks about these coincidences and how you don't notice certain things until it's pointed out and then you notice it everywhere. My brother and I were chatting about that recently. He had never heard of flashmobs until I mentioned it to him and now he sees and hears of it everywhere. But flashmob have been around for a while, he just never noticed it. I'm sure a lot of the concepts we discuss on PS are things written of or spoken to on many other sites daily but your (general you) main site is PS so it makes it appear as a huge coincidence.

That and I'm sure bloggers/writers take ideas from everywhere :p Nothing is safe on a public forum.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
iLander|1306959116|2935601 said:
slg47|1306950944|2935485 said:
but that thread was itself inspired by a TV show...

anyway someone suggested this earlier (that PS seems to be 'first' on a lot of these things). I doubt it but who knows?
There's a TV show? Really? I had no idea . . . :oops:
I didn't either but that's what the OP said in the thread!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top