shape
carat
color
clarity

lost wedding ring, looking to replace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BKmommy

Rough_Rock
Lurker, coming out of hiding
1.gif
About 5 years ago, I lost my wedding ring, and we''ll soon be able to replace it. This is subjective, but I''m not sure what to get, and I''d like opinions. I''ll condense the story...

My ring was .34 carat RB, don''t recall the stats, but it was positively blinding! I hadn''t heard of fluorescence then, but it had a pretty blue glow in the sunlight. It was in a WG 4 prong tiffany setting, with a 2mm plain band on either side.

Before we shopped, my husband went to a highly reccomended store, met Mr. (name of store), the owner, and told him his budget (so I wouldn''t try on something totally unreasonable and fall in love with it, LOL). I''d had my heart set on a fancy shape, but when we went in, all I was shown were rounds. Now let me tell you, I LOOOOVED the ring I got! But I''ve since found out we were fibbed to when we were told fancy shapes were out of our budget... which irks me to this day.
me: "Could I see an emerald cut?"
owner: "Just look at this beautiful round (name of store) diamond!"
me: "Um, how about a princess?"
owner: How about this beautiful round (name of store) diamond right here!"
38.gif

After looking elsewhere, the first place clearly had the best quality stones, so we made our purchase there. Now, as I said, I was totally in love with that ring... but now, I''ve been looking, and I''ve discovered a whole new shapes & settings I never dreamed of, and our budget is a bigger now. I think for sentimental reasons, I should go with a bigger RB, same setting, so it will feel like more of an upgrade than a replacement... but then again, now that we know more and I''ve seen more variety, I''d love to get the fancy shape I wanted in a totally different setting. DH''s reaction to pictures I''ve shown him range from, "Yep. It''s nice" to "Hmm. Lotta diamonds on that one." He''s told me that I can get what I want, that I''m the one wearing it, not him... but I don''t want to get a ring he''ll cringe at every time he sees. Also, while I LOVE drooling over the many pictures I''ve seen here, I''m not really the gobs of jewelry type, so this will most likely be one of very few pieces of fine jewelry I''ll own. If you''re still reading my ramblings, and have an opinion, please share it! Thanks for bearing with me.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an emerald cut and I love it. Rounds are great, you cannot go wrong, but I really loved the emerald cut so much...good luck in your search. Keep us informed!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason I''m drawn to the squarer cuts. I have a princess but I also love emerald cuts. You can get a nicely cut stone that sparkles and not have it be a round. If you want something other than a round then go for it. Now is your chance and you are the one that will be wearing it. I vote for getting what you want so that you have no regrets in the future.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried on an emerald cut? Or a princess cut? Did you think to yourself -Yup I could be happy with this? Hey if your husband is on board for you getting a new ring then you owe it to yourself to see if fancies still tickle your fancy.
If you decide upon a shape and you determine your budget then you can be rest assured that pricescopers will be more than happy to help you find the best stone if you''re comfortable buying online or else point you in the right direction with educated suggestions.
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you post a picture here on PS I can make the avatar for you.

I would go to a store and try on as many different stone shapes as possible to see what is flattering and appealing to you...and then we can go from there!

Welcome out of lurkdom!
35.gif

BKmommy

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamond fan, Catmom, lisaC and FireGoddess. I *think* I''d like an elongated shape, and I have 2 small kids (more to come?) so I''d like a really low, secure setting, probably a bezel... then again I haven''t tried on rings since we bought my first one. I guess I really need to look on my own w/o DH. He''s the typical guy who hates shopping, and I''m one of those annoying, indecisive types who takes 5-10 minutes deciding on ice cream, so I can only imagine how long I''d take looking at rings!
20.gif
I think he''d do backflips if I walked in, picked something in 3 minutes and left!
FireGoddess, thanks for your offer to help with my avatar... I''ll browse for a pic.

BKmommy

Rough_Rock
FireGoddess, here''s a pic of my grandmother''s wedding ring (just keepin'' my finger warm until we get a new one). Thanks so much!
9.gif

hestersring.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is...
1.gif

bkmomav1.jpg

BKmommy

Rough_Rock
Yay! Thanks again.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem! Glad to see it worked for you.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 5:20:12 PM
Author: BKmommy
Thanks diamond fan, Catmom, lisaC and FireGoddess. I *think* I''d like an elongated shape, and I have 2 small kids (more to come?) so I''d like a really low, secure setting, probably a bezel... then again I haven''t tried on rings since we bought my first one. I guess I really need to look on my own w/o DH. He''s the typical guy who hates shopping, and I''m one of those annoying, indecisive types who takes 5-10 minutes deciding on ice cream, so I can only imagine how long I''d take looking at rings!
20.gif
I think he''d do backflips if I walked in, picked something in 3 minutes and left!
FireGoddess, thanks for your offer to help with my avatar... I''ll browse for a pic.
I have 2 little boys (2 1/2 and 1 1/2) and I have a high set radiant cut ering.
I wouldn''t say you have to bezel it, just be careful around their little faces..

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 10:33:52 PM
Author:BKmommy
Lurker, coming out of hiding
1.gif
About 5 years ago, I lost my wedding ring, and we''ll soon be able to replace it. This is subjective, but I''m not sure what to get, and I''d like opinions. I''ll condense the story...

My ring was .34 carat RB, don''t recall the stats, but it was positively blinding! I hadn''t heard of fluorescence then, but it had a pretty blue glow in the sunlight. It was in a WG 4 prong tiffany setting, with a 2mm plain band on either side.

Before we shopped, my husband went to a highly reccomended store, met Mr. (name of store), the owner, and told him his budget (so I wouldn''t try on something totally unreasonable and fall in love with it, LOL). I''d had my heart set on a fancy shape, but when we went in, all I was shown were rounds. Now let me tell you, I LOOOOVED the ring I got! But I''ve since found out we were fibbed to when we were told fancy shapes were out of our budget... which irks me to this day.
me: ''Could I see an emerald cut?''
owner: ''Just look at this beautiful round (name of store) diamond!''
me: ''Um, how about a princess?''
owner: How about this beautiful round (name of store) diamond right here!''
38.gif

After looking elsewhere, the first place clearly had the best quality stones, so we made our purchase there. Now, as I said, I was totally in love with that ring... but now, I''ve been looking, and I''ve discovered a whole new shapes & settings I never dreamed of, and our budget is a bigger now. I think for sentimental reasons, I should go with a bigger RB, same setting, so it will feel like more of an upgrade than a replacement... but then again, now that we know more and I''ve seen more variety, I''d love to get the fancy shape I wanted in a totally different setting. DH''s reaction to pictures I''ve shown him range from, ''Yep. It''s nice'' to ''Hmm. Lotta diamonds on that one.'' He''s told me that I can get what I want, that I''m the one wearing it, not him... but I don''t want to get a ring he''ll cringe at every time he sees. Also, while I LOVE drooling over the many pictures I''ve seen here, I''m not really the gobs of jewelry type, so this will most likely be one of very few pieces of fine jewelry I''ll own. If you''re still reading my ramblings, and have an opinion, please share it! Thanks for bearing with me.
Do what you want to do. Not what you think you should do. Rounds are beautiful and there''s not another shape that has that kind of sparkle, BUT, different shapes are just as beautiful IMO.. I think you should go out and try on all different kinds of shapes. It may be that your heart tells you to choose a round. My guess is that your hubby will be happy with whatever makes you happy. Good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I think the reason the guys cringe at the thought of buying a diamond is because they just don''t have the same knowledge as we do. Therefore I think it''s our job (as wanters-of-an-upgrade/new ring, etc)to steer them towards websites such as this so they think it''s their idea in the end. Feminine wiles? Yes. Coercion? Yes. Whatever it takes to get DH to think it was his idea in the first place? Yes, do whatever it takes. There''s no easy way of doing it, and I don''t mean to sound callous or greedy, but sometimes when you are campaigning for something you really really want, you have to be a little ruthless, ya know?

I honestly believe in wearing them down bit by bit...until they see the light, that is, they t hink it was their idea in the first place. It might take a year or so, but it can be done.
2.gif
3.gif
Good luck!
35.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I am drawn to fancy shapes and I recently acquired a tiny fluorescent oval. now, like madame bijoux i want one of every shape.
May I suggest oval, marquise, or pear for spready characterisitcs?

i also love square hearts and arrows.

BKmommy

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 3:25:40 AM
Author: monarch64
You know, I think the reason the guys cringe at the thought of buying a diamond is because they just don''t have the same knowledge as we do. Therefore I think it''s our job (as wanters-of-an-upgrade/new ring, etc)to steer them towards websites such as this so they think it''s their idea in the end. Feminine wiles? Yes. Coercion? Yes. Whatever it takes to get DH to think it was his idea in the first place? Yes, do whatever it takes. There''s no easy way of doing it, and I don''t mean to sound callous or greedy, but sometimes when you are campaigning for something you really really want, you have to be a little ruthless, ya know?

I honestly believe in wearing them down bit by bit...until they see the light, that is, they t hink it was their idea in the first place. It might take a year or so, but it can be done.
2.gif
3.gif
Good luck!
35.gif
ROFL! Monarch62, you cracked me up! Laughed so loud, I scared the cat.
Thanks to everyone for your two cents. I feel much better about going for something a little more, well, me this time. This probably won''t happen until fall or possibly Christmas, so I should be able to decide by then (I''ve been looking for about 2 years now, heh heh). Til then, my search continues...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results