shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost Lad. Help me find my way to my unicorn

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been able to walk into a bricks and mortar store, point to diamonds and say that one is a H that one is a K that one is a D give or take one grades difference in colour my whole life, people that work in jewellery shops cannot believe someone can walk in off the street and do that.....Some people particularly artists, people who deal in coloured stones and colour for a living sometimes can do that, a lot of people cannot.

As Kenny likes to point out, people vary. If some dude buys his girl a perfectly cut H and she holds it up to her friends Ds someone in the group with eyes probably not as good as mine are still going to notice the difference in colour. Yes, a premium cut stone might have more fire and sparkle but a H or an I is never going to be a D or an E, so lets not sugar coat that.

For lots of people that come here we advise drop down a size, drop a down colour or two, drop down in clarity and THEN you will find something in your budget because most come with high hopes and frequent unreal expectations.

In this case to be safe I'd go with nothing lower than a G because at least it will face up relatively white, drop down a bit in size and put it into a halo. Or increase the budget. IDJ are miracle workers, but there is a difference between being good at what they do and being able to walk on water which they probably cannot.

Picking a different shaped stone if she will go for it isn't a half bad idea because you can get an optically larger sized stone (and a cheaper stone per carat) by looking at different shaped cuts. If not then go with something that ticks as many boxes as possible, ie, to be safe, compromise a little in every area rather than a lot in one area.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Getting back on topic:

People on this board might be stone snobs, but let me tell you something: for all of the judgment, for all the "I rather pay for quality"-isms, I have not yet to come across a post where a woman was considering upgrading to a smaller size.

Just finding all of this. I'm not sure if I've been forthright about it but I am anxiously awaiting a new ring and possibly going to down-size...sorry. Don't want to hijack this thread but I'm waiting with baited breath that my 8.3 x 8.3 x 8.4 OEC isn't going to work in a custom CvB 'cause it's gonna be too much bling on my hand. I'm what you call size sensitive...but that's another thread :wink2:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With you price range, are not able to do it all.
large carat size 2 carat!
high color, and I assume clarity
ideal cut
platinum halo

Is there any way to ask her, of those criteria, which are the most important? I wouldn't compromise on cut quality. I recommend both whiteflash ACA and CBI cuts without reservation. I'd see if she is willing to come down in size and/or color or rather get a solitaire setting and upgrade setting later.
I see on HPD
1.49 ct H VS2 Infinity Diamond, but it's currently on hold.
Or 1.49 G VSI ACA
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3855439.htm

Last edited:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think we may have lost OP.

My point was that the 2.0 H stone he suggested looked reasonable. It's not perfect, and since it's a SI2 I'd definitely get a professional opinion, but it's not a "dog," as @whitewave eloquently put it, either.

Don't want to speak for OP's g/f or @bmfang 's SO, but I know that my g/f would prefer it over a 1.3 CraftedByInfinity ("whated by who?" would probably be her response if I tried to convince her otherwise)

My personal pick would be the 1.92 because there's more "guaranteed" light performance with the ASET and Idealscope images over just the cert we're seeing for the 2.0 H. But if someone grew up in a country where there were big TV exposes about how blue fluorescence was "cheating" then I can understand the reluctance.

As for whether an H is white enough? Maybe it is; maybe it isn't for his g/f. OP seems to think it's acceptable, so why not let him try it, and worst case he can always return it?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's hard for some people here to imagine the cultural significance of clarity and color. It is absolutely not the same as the us or some other western cultures.

As much as we value cut, she probably doesn't ; her friends probably don't. They very well may turn their noses up at an H because cut has nothing to do with how pure the stone is. People are really ignoring that aspect of this thread and I feel like it's paramount

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's hard for some people here to imagine the cultural significance of clarity and color. It is absolutely not the same as the us or some other western cultures.

As much as we value cut, she probably doesn't ; her friends probably don't. They very well may turn their noses up at an H because cut has nothing to do with how pure the stone is. People are really ignoring that aspect of this thread and I feel like it's paramount

I agree. If OP is suggesting an H stone though I'm going to assume that he's ok with H. But this is another reason why it's important to make the final judgment in person.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully he bought the oval in the SK halo!!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we may have lost OP.

My point was that the 2.0 H stone he suggested looked reasonable. It's not perfect, and since it's a SI2 I'd definitely get a professional opinion, but it's not a "dog," as @whitewave eloquently put it, either.

Don't want to speak for OP's g/f or @bmfang 's SO, but I know that my g/f would prefer it over a 1.3 CraftedByInfinity ("whated by who?" would probably be her response if I tried to convince her otherwise)

My personal pick would be the 1.92 because there's more "guaranteed" light performance with the ASET and Idealscope images over just the cert we're seeing for the 2.0 H. But if someone grew up in a country where there were big TV exposes about how blue fluorescence was "cheating" then I can understand the reluctance.

As for whether an H is white enough? Maybe it is; maybe it isn't for his g/f. OP seems to think it's acceptable, so why not let him try it, and worst case he can always return it?

I *****NEVER****** said that diamond was a dog. :angryfire:

Don't put words in my mouth.

I accept your apology on the front end for saying I said that.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP never came back and clarified other than to say her social circle likes it...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully he bought the oval in the SK halo!!!!

Since the OP hasn't come back- I don't feel bad asking what your friend has or is upgrading to?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the OP hasn't come back- I don't feel bad asking what your friend has or is upgrading to?
]

I have no idea. I just think that ring is a steal! I wish I could buy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results