shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Stone Selection New York City

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
just to chime in on the MB setting. I have done a ton of research on them, the quality, the company etc. their settings are designed to be worn as a set and they will stand 100% behind their product. Sure, a stone may pop out from time to time like any pave setting but I would not be concerned a bit about the rubbing issue with the MB lace or even his 3 sided pave setting. There are a few MB owners here who have MB sets and have not reported problems and only one has experienced a lost stone and at least came on here to report it.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 7:43:39 PM
Author: Carolynw
Surfgirl: Yes, I saw that about this setting, I will ask Michael Fina in New York on Monday morning.
We are going back down there to buy the diamond. It''s a crazy scene in the diamond district.
High security, one of the buildings we went in we had to be fingerprinted, it''s the one
that the GIA is located in. Then they peak through the window of the floors you go and
try to see diamonds, anyway, kind of scary in a way. The place they are getting the diamond
was referred to them by VanCleef, the sales guy told them of a friend that sells Wholesale.
It truly is a wholesale place, very exciting going inside, lots of action, people moving all over
shuffling, selling probably, but they were very nice and only allowed us in because of
the sales guy is a friend and he referred us. Anyway, the setting we will find out if they
rub, because you can try them on at Michael C Fina, and we will get a feel for if they will
rub too much and cause damage. If they do, they will probably pick a different setting,
maybe a Jeff Cooper, one of his classic styles are nice, and I guess he is located right
on Long Island, and I guess takes only 2 weeks for the setting. Either way, I don''t think
they can go wrong with either Jeff Cooper or the Michael B. The Lace one is more classic
I think then the others with diamonds going all the way around all over, Princess i think it''s called.
Anyway, ill let you know Monday about the rubbing, etc..
Kind of funny they ended up going from HW, Graff, Tiffinys, CArtier, and how just picking a diamond
and buying a setting. I think they are smart to do it that way. I mean the Cartier settings and HW
ones are pretty, but really, the Michael B and Jeff Cooper ones are just as nice or even nicer in
a way, plus now they get a better diamond.
Well, you did well in helping them!!!! They have you to thank in all this!
36.gif

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I guess comparing the size they are getting compared to the size they were shown at HW, Graff, Cartier, those were about 1.57 G VS1 with the 2 tapered baguettes, cut etc.. was very good, etc.. i posted the specs earlier on the Graff, everyone said it wasn''t that great for 27,000.
The HW one, was E VS2 2 bag, there setting, 1.51 total 41,000.00
The Cartier was 1.62, but H, 34,300.00, or E 1.51 39,000.00

Now they are getting 1.78 E for about 24,000.00.
They still have to buy Michael B setting, for about 8,000.00
total about 32,00.00, which is less then all of above, except for Graff.
But, the Graff was G and smaller, not much, 1.57.
Im not sure if 1.78 is any difference between the sizes above, its just supposively a better diamond
Thank you for commenting on Michael B and quality, that is great.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 7:44:21 AM

They still have to buy Michael B setting, for about 8,000.00

8K for the Lace? pearlmans has is listed at $5900, they might want to give them a call and save the 2K, plus the sales tax since they are in MI.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/michael-b-jewelry/rings/06P1/18/

and i know they aren't looking for a deal but there is one listed here for $2950 and can be changed to accomodate a larger stone..

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/029PO1/16/

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Now, they are looking at these two stones, and possibly a Micheal B setting or something similar to the Cartier DAmour.

GIA #14908956 says: Cut Grade: Very Good. Plug the #''s into the diamond calc, and it returns Excellent
GIA #15179195 says: Cute Grade: Excellent. Plus the #''s into the diamond calc, and it returns Very good.
So, is the Diamond Calc a better indicator of whether this diamond is the best.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Carolyn, I posted in the other thread you have going but please, I'm really concerned about this "vendor"..doesn't seem right.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hi, this wholesale vendor actually was referred by VanCleef, one of the sales guys there wrote his number on the back of a card. The wholeseller said, not the general public knows, and I am lucky, bla bla bla.
But, all day we have been thinking about it, and your right, it''s really not right. When we asked how he would like payment, he said cashiers check or money order, to me that is cash. Plus, he did mention lumping Sales Tax in there, but only after I mentioned it, like a dummy. After I said, what is the tax, he was like, oh well, let me calculate that, a let''s see Sales Tax in New York is, and Im thinking, why did I open my big mouth. So, the moral of this story.
We don''t feel comfortable not having a return policy, or not being able to get an appraisal, etc.. before committing to buying forever. Yes, it was another dumb move, but learning through it all.
They called Cartier today, I think they might just get a very good stone from them, and get the setting
D''Amour one etc.. I know it''s alot, but it''s getting crazy looking for the perfect stone.
They let the lady know they wanted a good cut. She is trying really hard to do that for them.
She mentioned the 2 I listed before, and they don''t seem bad at all.
I wish we had the ideal scope is all, because we are planning on going over there and
picking between 3 rings at Cartier, in their price range.
The customer service at Cartier has been incredible, no pressure, not this, have to buy today or tommorow
or you lose it. The Wholeseller said the same thing as HW, I have to know by 12 noon tommorrow, because we are shipping out this diamond for a showing. Why is it every one that we are interested in, they are shipping out or need an answer by the next day. So far Cartier has not put the pressure on, and has been very accomodating, after asking for them to bring in better cut stones.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Carolyn, I think you guys are smart to not do this deal with the alleged dealer. I''m sorry but it''s too fishy. Good call!

Listen, I cant say this again because it''s starting to drive me batty BUT...You haven''t really given ERD and GOG a chance and they both have such stellar reputations here! I''ve yet to read about an unhappy customer from either place. Why not give those one last go. Not wanting to take a train to LI isn''t a reason not to go. The train is less than an hour from the city and if you book an appt at both places in advance and be clear about what you''re looking for, they can both make sure they have a selection of stones for you to see. I''m sure you could probably even say "we''d like to see at least X number of choices in our range" and they''d probably do that for you. I''m not anti the luxury brands at all but if they go to ERD and GOG and they still cant see a stone they just adore, then at least they can rest assured they looked at ALL the local options available to them, and no regrets! When I found my ring (or rather, it found me!), it was at a local estate boutique near where I live. However, even though I looked at another equally wonderful antique/estate vendor also nearby, Mr. Surf and I decided to bite the bullet and drive 2.5-3 hours to LA on a Saturday, in horrible traffic jams, just to go to another well known estate vendor in LA who had a huge inventory. Why did we go when we''d found the ring down here? Because before we pulled the trigger on such a huge purchase, we wanted to be 100% sure - in our minds - that we''d left no stone unturned. And as we drove home from LA that day, I kept saying to the Mr., "Did you like that second ring today better than the one we''ve put on hold at home?" and we went down the list of the stones/rings we''d seen that day and we knew that none of them held a candle to what we had on hold so we knew with no hesitation, that the ring we''d already found was ''our ring''. I tell you this because I think with all the time and effort they/you are putting into this, if you dont do due diligence, you might at some point wonder if you could have done better. So instead, invest another week into this, make those appt''s, be as specific as possible, and make sure you''ve left no stone unturned!

Oh, and I think your relatives need to pay you for your time on this project! I think a nice pair of ear studs should be just right!
27.gif

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Your funny Surfgirl. My guess is your from Santa Barbara somewhere, that''s where I grew up,
Van Nuys and Santa Barbara.
I live here now, and I hate it.
Anyway, I agree, the wholeseller deal is off, and we are still considering GOG and ERD.
Not ruling it totally out.
They want to look at Cartier first, and see if the stones she brought it are ideal
or close to what they wanted with the setting they wanted.
The setting is a big part of it, and that setting is beautiful.
I know the Michael B one is beautiful too, but looking and looking at it,
for some reason the Cartier one seems more classic and more beautiful to them.
It''s nice that it sits kind of low, but not too low, the way it sits in the setting is
great.
Anyway, so if they for some reason find the diamond and setting all in one
at Cartier, then it might work out great. Now if Cartier setting was just so so,
then it wouldn''t even be worth it, but they do have prettier settings. I even think
it''s prettier than the HW ones, or the Tiffinys ones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 6:44:29 PM

I know it''s alot, but it''s getting crazy looking for the perfect stone.
That''s because they have only been going to places with extremely limited selections, and so so stones. For all the time they''ve spent, they could have taken that drive to GOG a couple times.
2.gif
I have to agree with Surfgirl, not wanting to make the 1 hour trip isn''t a great reason imho. Shoot, I have to drive an hour just to see any variety of stones, much less the best of the best. If either of these vendors were only an hour away from me, I be in the car/train faster than you could say cha ching.

I also agree, they need to at least go to ERD, if not both, before they can make an informed decision. I hate to make us sound like a broken record, but it''s the truth. The fact of the matter is, they have yet to see an outstanding stone....

Have they read the threads you''ve made about this purchase? If not, maybe they should. Maybe if they heard SO many people telling them to check these places out (and more importantly, why), it might have more of an impact. I know you''re doing all you can (and you really should be commended), but you''re only one voice. Maybe they need to hear it from the choir.
9.gif
2.gif

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
They are reading the posts daily.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well then, the only thing left to say is, good luck!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 7:26:42 PM
Your funny Surfgirl. My guess is your from Santa Barbara somewhere, that''s where I grew up,

Van Nuys and Santa Barbara.

I live here now, and I hate it.

Anyway, I agree, the wholeseller deal is off, and we are still considering GOG and ERD.

Not ruling it totally out.

They want to look at Cartier first, and see if the stones she brought it are ideal

or close to what they wanted with the setting they wanted.

The setting is a big part of it, and that setting is beautiful.

I know the Michael B one is beautiful too, but looking and looking at it,

for some reason the Cartier one seems more classic and more beautiful to them.

It''s nice that it sits kind of low, but not too low, the way it sits in the setting is

great.

Anyway, so if they for some reason find the diamond and setting all in one

at Cartier, then it might work out great. Now if Cartier setting was just so so,

then it wouldn''t even be worth it, but they do have prettier settings. I even think

it''s prettier than the HW ones, or the Tiffinys ones.
Would they be willing to take a look at ERD/GOG after they have gone back to Cartier? Just taking the trip doesn''t mean they are ruling out Cartier, but they won''t know they prefer the Cartier (or don''t) until they can compare them.

They have looked at similar diamonds/rings... it would be in their best interest to check out some better cuts. Good can look good until you see better. Maybe they wouldn''t be able to tell the difference with the better diamond, maybe they will find "the one," maybe the Cartier name would win out over an ideal cut anyway, but that''s a lot of maybes unless they know Cartier is "the one."

If they like the Cartier setting, and it has a nice diamond in it... they could put it on hold/put a deposit down (or even purchase it to bring with them to compare?) and take the trip. At least they have been presented the difference between the diamonds- maybe the difference in quality doesn''t win out over wanting the name and their choice is affirmed or maybe their minds are changed and they depart from name being #1 importance.

What is a couple hours for a trip when the ring she will be wearing will be years upon years?

Whatever their choice, I really hope they find "the one" and unquestionably love it!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
One last comment and then I''m done...I swear! I think in addition to going back to Cartier, they should book appt''s with: ERD, GOG, and Leon. Leon is a bit more persnickety but that''s how most artistes are. I know I had initially talked to Leon about making my ring up and he asked if I would consider using him to source the stones too. I told him that I am the sort of person who needs to see a whole LOT of stones before I make up my mind and that him bringing in 2-3 stones wouldn''t be enough for me to make a decision. I''d prefer to look at as many stones as need be. He then gave me he contact for the guy he sources stones from (no, I cant say who it is, that wouldn''t be kosher!), but my point is, IF they still want a really luxe setting - and I can understand why they love the Cartiers - I think they''d be thrilled with the experience and the craftsmanship of a Leon Mege ring. And, if they''re up front with him about needing to see more stones, perhaps he''ll allow them to go to his source, which is nearby, and select the stone from as many as they need to see, then pay Leon a tiny commission on it (I think he mentioned he makes a very tiny % on the sale of loose stones...).

So that''s a homework assignment of THREE appointments!

Oh, and I live south of LA, but I''m from NYC originally and I love it there. Wanna trade places?!?

sera

Ideal_Rock
Yes... add Leon to that trip to look at the settings. They are gorgeous!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2007 7:54:58 PM
Author: Ellen

That''s because they have only been going to places with extremely limited selections, and so so stones. For all the time they''ve spent, they could have taken that drive to GOG a couple times.
2.gif
I have to agree with Surfgirl, not wanting to make the 1 hour trip isn''t a great reason imho. Shoot, I have to drive an hour just to see any variety of stones, much less the best of the best. If either of these vendors were only an hour away from me, I be in the car/train faster than you could say cha ching.

I also agree, they need to at least go to ERD, if not both, before they can make an informed decision. I hate to make us sound like a broken record, but it''s the truth. The fact of the matter is, they have yet to see an outstanding stone....

Have they read the threads you''ve made about this purchase? If not, maybe they should. Maybe if they heard SO many people telling them to check these places out (and more importantly, why), it might have more of an impact. I know you''re doing all you can (and you really should be commended), but you''re only one voice. Maybe they need to hear it from the choir.
9.gif
2.gif
I have to say "ditto" to this. Way back at the beginning of this thread, Gotama posted a gorgeous 1.7x E VS1 stone from GOG that is better than the one from the "wholesaler" (and he is NOT a wholesaler because GOG was selling their stone in the $22,000 range as well!!!), and it is better than any other stone that you posted previously. This would have been so easy and would have taken SO much less time if they had gone to GOG. He would have ONLY showed them ideal cut stones. In fact, when they reopen Tuesday, they could wire the money and have that diamond sent to their HOME to look at! I just don''t understand not getting the best possible quality when paying that much money. But oh well!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
DS, while I understand why you''re saying what you''re saying (gee, that wasn''t a confusing sentence, was it?!?), I think Carolyn''s relatives would like the "experience" of shopping for their ring. And I can understand that. I''m one of the smaller group here on PS that could probably never buy a stone via the internet simply because I need the experience of looking at as many stones as I can before making a decision. I have to tip my hat to those of you who give someone online your stats you are looking for and then can choose from one or two stones. I just cant do that. So I can understand the need to look at as much as possible in person. That said, I hope they make appts with Leon, GOG and ERD so they can know they looked at everything available to them within an hour or so drive. Looking forward to hearing how this weekend''s shopping went!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2007 8:30:23 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

2.gif

9.gif
2.gif
I have to say ''ditto'' to this. Way back at the beginning of this thread, Gotama posted a gorgeous 1.7x E VS1 stone from GOG that is better than the one from the ''wholesaler'' (and he is NOT a wholesaler because GOG was selling their stone in the $22,000 range as well!!!), and it is better than any other stone that you posted previously. This would have been so easy and would have taken SO much less time if they had gone to GOG. He would have ONLY showed them ideal cut stones. In fact, when they reopen Tuesday, they could wire the money and have that diamond sent to their HOME to look at! I just don''t understand not getting the best possible quality when paying that much money. But oh well!
To be fair DS, there are many vendors that you could recomend if Carolyn''s family members wanted to buy on-line.
They have made it very clear they prefer some sort of NYC ''experiance''.
Mark from ERD and LM etc have also been suggested.

As I have said before, we provide helpful information. Shoppers read it, and they make their decisions. They choose individual stores, as well as channels.

I agree that the ''channel'' suggested is questionalble.
That has been said and your price info further highlights that.

I think we should let them shop till they drop now and offer +ve or -ve comments about individual stones they post information on.

People with that much moola to spend should only need our technical support now.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/28/2007 9:26:32 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 10/28/2007 8:30:23 PM

2.gif

9.gif
2.gif
I have to say ''ditto'' to this. Way back at the beginning of this thread, Gotama posted a gorgeous 1.7x E VS1 stone from GOG that is better than the one from the ''wholesaler'' (and he is NOT a wholesaler because GOG was selling their stone in the $22,000 range as well!!!), and it is better than any other stone that you posted previously. This would have been so easy and would have taken SO much less time if they had gone to GOG. He would have ONLY showed them ideal cut stones. In fact, when they reopen Tuesday, they could wire the money and have that diamond sent to their HOME to look at! I just don''t understand not getting the best possible quality when paying that much money. But oh well!
To be fair DS, there are many vendors that you could recomend if Carolyn''s family members wanted to buy on-line.

As I have said before, we provide helpful information. Shoppers read it, and they make their decisions. They choose individual stores, as well as channels.

I think we should let them shop till they drop now and offer +ve or -ve comments about individual stones they post information on.

People with that much moola to spend should only need our technical support now.
I have not searched everywhere, but I am afraid there may not be "many" vendors at this time which carry what they are looking for - a nicely cut colorless stone that weighs over 1.5ct.

I too think shoppng "experience" should be taken into consideration. I would then suggest to look at well cut branded stones such as H*F and compare stones by themselves. They are better than average AGS0 from my experience and it probably is not difficult to find a B&M that has H*Fs.

The reason I posted one (1.74EVS1) from GOG is because I am confident that the stone is a very nice performer, and if they find one that is as good as this 1.74EVS1, "their choice" is guaranteed to be good. They do not have to buy from GOG.

Just wanted to open up a possibility for them to compare what they are looking at and what can be available with similar budget.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/25/2007 5:41:42 PM
Author: gontama
It is very nice of you to keep helping frineds or relatives? The diamond you found can be a nice one. But I think it is more likely that this diamond http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3687/ with the same E color and the same VS1 clarity and very close weight(1.74ct)/diameter(7.76) performs better or more eye pleasing because of its guaranteed optical symmetry and tight cut. BS looks very good too. No intention to disturb your shopping. Just could not help providing my personal opinon...
No problem with your post G, it was subtle and helpful. with no intention to disturb the shopping
1.gif

And DS''s point that the wholesaler is selling above an on-line vendor with a b&M presence was also valid.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/28/2007 10:13:37 PM

Date: 10/25/2007 5:41:42 PM
Author: gontama
It is very nice of you to keep helping frineds or relatives? The diamond you found can be a nice one. But I think it is more likely that this diamond http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3687/ with the same E color and the same VS1 clarity and very close weight(1.74ct)/diameter(7.76) performs better or more eye pleasing because of its guaranteed optical symmetry and tight cut. BS looks very good too. No intention to disturb your shopping. Just could not help providing my personal opinon...
No problem with your post G, it was subtle and helpful. with no intention to disturb the shopping
1.gif

And DS''s point that the wholesaler is selling above an on-line vendor with a b&M presence was also valid.
Thanks for your understanding, Garry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2007 9:26:32 PM

Garry, that is certainly true...except.... I put 1.6-1.9 ct., excellent cut, E VS1-VS2 in the PS cut quality search and the stone Gontama posted is the ONLY stone that came up! I was just trying to stay near the specs of the stone they were looking at for comparision purposes. If I add F color into that equation, I come up with a 1.84 F VS2 also from GOG. I really can''t help the inventory!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2622/

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2007 10:46:46 PM

Garry, that is certainly true...except.... I put 1.6-1.9 ct., excellent cut, E VS1-VS2 in the PS cut quality search and the stone Gontama posted is the ONLY stone that came up! I was just trying to stay near the specs of the stone they were looking at for comparision purposes. If I add F color into that equation, I come up with a 1.84 F VS2 also from GOG. I really can''t help the inventory!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2622/
Wow, that is a gorgeous stone DS!!! Carolyn you need to go to GOG to see those stones so I can live through you vicariously. hehee

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I think the question that might be asked is if her SIL is really that color sensitive that she would only be happy with an E color stone. The two stones she mentioned from Graff were G and H and Carolyn seemed to indicate that all the stones they saw looked beautiful. By the way, GOG has a nice 2.01ct H VS2 Round H&A for about $24,000.

Since I live in Manhattan, I looked at many stones for several weeks. I found that I was not that color sensitive and, when comparing stone colors at Tiffany's, I was unable to tell the difference or pick out the highest color.

Fortunately I found Pricescope, and when I posted the dimensions on a stone that looked great to me and almost bought from a well known diamond dealer in the Diamond District, people on Pricescope were horrified. It was a very shallow stone with a huge spread. I knew nothing about cut and he told me it was "the best."

I finally realized that I could not depend upon my eyes to select a great stone and I did want good value. I decided that between Brian Gavin at Whiteflash and David Wolf, the appraiser, I would have a better chance of making the right selection than I would on my own. It worked out well for me.

If they cannot get to GOG, I think Elmo's suggestion that they have a few stones from various vendors sent to David Wolf and let him judge them might be a good idea. Or make an appointment with ERD well in advance to give him time to call in some stones or have Leon Mege source out a stone for them. I think this would save the a lot of time and they would stand a better chance of getting a great stone for their substantial budget

But everyone has their own priorities and I wish them luck whatever they decide.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I think any more help is just going to be repeating what has been said more than once. These people are grownups and can make up their own minds on what and how they want to buy. Of course I am curious about what they end up choosing and wish them happiness in their ultimate decision.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
You are right, Sharon. I guess what I had to say was redundant. Between the three posts they have certainly gotten enough information to decide on their own and I will keep out of it from now on. I wish them the best of luck, whatever they decide to do.

HappyFish

Rough_Rock
Carol, I have been following both of your threads. I can feel your pain.

At this point, I think they should get one from one of the bands they originally had their heart set on. Band means a lot to certain people, myself included.
37.gif
Since it is a once in a life time purchase, I wouldn''t mind spending a few thousands more to get it from the band I love.
25.gif

HappyFish

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 12:57:06 PM
Author: HappyFish
Carol, I have been following both of your threads. I can feel your pain.

At this point, I think they should get one from one of the brands they originally had their heart set on. Brand means a lot to certain people, myself included.
37.gif
Since it is a once in a life time purchase, I wouldn't mind spending a few thousands more to get it from the brand I love.
25.gif
Sorry, I meant BRAND.
31.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 12:46:32 PM
Author: solange
You are right, Sharon. I guess what I had to say was redundant. Between the three posts they have certainly gotten enough information to decide on their own and I will keep out of it from now on. I wish them the best of luck, whatever they decide to do.
Hey Solange, I didnt mean you specifically!!!! And it is obvious that everyone here is really posting from the heart, which is rare in this day and age. My point was that ....well, you know the one about the horse and the water!!!!
2.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Be careful on 47th! Signedpieces is located there and I''m sure many other legitimate businesses, but its a rough place for non-professionals. I would also never buy a purchase of that size without Amex or some other credit card protection. I''d be careful where I was buying from as well. Cash only is something I haven''t heard of in the jewelry business, unless you''re bargaining for a discount.

Maybe you guys want a break?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results