Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to spend ~4500 on a diamond, help me decide how to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aro3eb

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve been in your standard mall jewelry store, looking at stones and settings, and looked at a 1.04 carat, H color, SI2 w/ GIA cert diamond that looked amazing in person. It was however $4950, and while thats not that far out of my range, I can''t afford to be that flexible. As such I''d like to attempt to replicate that as best as I can for slightly less.

I''ve been reading a lot around here, and decided I''d join the masses and ask for a little advice. Looking for round diamond with the best cut I can get for a stone at about 1 carat, no lower than H or I in color. Clarity is flexible as you can''t see it without trying to, though I am bit nervous about this part, as it seems to be the most subjective.

Now I''ve been searching all over for stones that meet these characteristics, with what I think are somewhat mixed results. I''ve been finding stones that seem to have very similar characteristics but vary substantially in price. Is there a good explanation for this? I''ve also plugged several into the HCA, thereby knocking a few out of contention that had seemed excellent otherwise. Who knew "excellent cut" had such variability?

Thanks!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found quite a few right away at Whiteflash.com. I searched their Expert Selection (I believe these are all ideal cut) rounds 1.00-1.18 ct, G-I and VS1-SI2. Also, they do offer a Pricescope and wire transfer discount so the prices should be lower than what is listed on their website.

Here are a few:

1.067 H SI2 for $4490
1.033 G SI2 for $4546
1.143 I SI1 for $4828

I would make sure the stones are eyeclean and I would also ask about the Pricescope discount to see how much lower the prices are. Also, a simple white or yellow gold solitaire setting should only be about $200.

(I''m sure you could find comparably priced ideal cut stones on other Pricescope vendors'' websites as well, I just used the one I know best and had a good experience with. If you do go with Whiteflash.com, I highly recommend Sheerah. She was my sales representative and she''s great!)

Good luck!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I three spy the 1.06 H at WF...however...

Date: 3/28/2007 11:51:33 PM
Author:aro3eb
I've also plugged several into the HCA...
consider using this, and letting the db here do the work for you. You'll see others, too, and you may find paying a bit more is worth it to you...to get a G, or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.