shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to purchase a Tanzanite, is this a reputable vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fresh2

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''ve just recently joined this forum to try and hopefully get some helpful tips on my purchases. I''ve wanted to buy a tanzanite gem and I''ve found a online retailer www.lapigems.com. My concern is just like everyone elses when purchasing over the internet, is this retailer reputable?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve bought a number of gemstones from Lapigems and have been exceptionally happy with their quality and the customer service. I wouldn''t hesitate to recommend them. The gemstones also come in really cool locked boxes with a padlock on them!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, everyone and anyone is selling tanzanite these days. I never heard of that seller, but I would be very leary of purchasing tanzanite by someone that is not reputable. They''re coating tanzanites these days, so you have to be careful of this treatment. Paraibainternational.com is a very reputable seller, and they''re taking offers on their tanzanites which are deep dark cobalt blue, and only heated (almost all tanzanite is gently heated). I know you didn''t ask, but I always feel it''s necessary to tell any tanzanite purchaser the following. You must very very careful wearing it in a ring since it''s a very soft stone, if that''s your intention of setting it in a ring. I would not do a bracelet.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 6:18:30 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
You know, everyone and anyone is selling tanzanite these days. I never heard of that seller, but I would be very leary of purchasing tanzanite by someone that is not reputable. They''re coating tanzanites these days, so you have to be careful of this treatment. Paraibainternational.com is a very reputable seller, and they''re taking offers on their tanzanites which are deep dark cobalt blue, and only heated (almost all tanzanite is gently heated). I know you didn''t ask, but I always feel it''s necessary to tell any tanzanite purchaser the following. You must very very careful wearing it in a ring since it''s a very soft stone, if that''s your intention of setting it in a ring. I would not do a bracelet.
TL - Lapigems are really reputable. You get to see the rough, the history of the gem and then the final cut stone.

In terms of coated tanzanites, that''s actually (at the moment) limited to stones under 1ct and so far in the UK only a handful have been discovered by the Assay office. That''s not to say there aren''t more of course but it''s certainly not prevalent - although I wouldn''t buy from Ebay!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about Lapigems and I''m going to stay out of the coating debate. However, I second the suggestion of ParaibaI. Not only have they been dealing with Tanzanites for a long time, they have quite a number of nice ones (eye-witness account).

Fresh2

Rough_Rock
It''s funny you mentioned it, my intentions were to set the stone into a ring. Although I love the color of the sapphire, I don''t believe it is in my price range. I might have to look at a blue sapphire as a alternative now that I know tanzanite is a delicate stone, another question I had was how expensive does a high quality 5 carat tanzanite stone retail for?

buggysmama

Rough_Rock
I just ordered a tanzanite from Lapigems.com. It arrived last week. Took it to my jeweler, who verified that the stone that they sent is exactly the one that they said they were sending (i.e., same carat weight, clarity, dimensions, etc.).

Within the fedex box that it arrived in, the tanzanite stone was in a metal locked box, sealed by the Kenyan department of mines & double-locked by the Kenyan customs department.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 6:48:35 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 12/26/2008 6:18:30 PM
TL - Lapigems are really reputable. You get to see the rough, the history of the gem and then the final cut stone.

In terms of coated tanzanites, that''s actually (at the moment) limited to stones under 1ct and so far in the UK only a handful have been discovered by the Assay office. That''s not to say there aren''t more of course but it''s certainly not prevalent - although I wouldn''t buy from Ebay!
LD,
Good to know, thanks for the positive review.
emsmile.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries TL! I''ve bought the most sensational Aqua from them and it''s yummy yummy yummy!

Fresh2 In terms of pricing (for loose stones) if you say around $450 per carat (for good quality) you''ll be in the right ball park. I have a number of Tanzanite rings and so long as you''re careful they''re fine. I wouldn''t say it''s a suitable gemstone for an every day ring or an e-ring but certainly for one that gets an outing occasionally there should be no problem. Just make sure you don''t get the Tanzanite anywhere near water or subject it to heat extremes i.e. hot then cold (taking something out of the oven and then plunging your hands in the freezer for example - or sunbathing and then jumping in a swimming pool) as this can crack the gemstone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't ever put a tanzanite in an ultrasonic cleaner either. If you go to have your ring cleaned at a jewelry store, they just love to put everything and anything in a US cleaner.
emsad.gif

LD,
On a side note, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but that website doesn't have any more aquas. I know because I've been searching for one a certain size of a deep color forever. Thanks! If they ever get them in again, I'll check them out.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2008 10:59:52 AM

Don''t ever put a tanzanite in an ultrasonic cleaner either. If you go to have your ring cleaned at a jewelry store, they just love to put everything and anything in a US cleaner.
emsad.gif

LD,
On a side note, and I don''t want to hijack the thread, but that website doesn''t have any more aquas. I know because I''ve been searching for one a certain size of a deep color forever. Thanks! If they ever get them in again, I''ll check them out.
They had some a few weeks ago so I think they''ve probably just all sold before Christmas. On a very positive note, each gemstone I''ve bought from them has had fabulous valuations - far exceeding what I''ve paid! The Aqua in particular is a lovely blue.

Fresh2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the helpful tips,
Can anyone suggest a harder gem that would require less care that is a deep blue preferably? I originally wanted to purchase a royal blue sapphire, but am having trouble finding one my size and price range.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re looking for deep blue (and relatively cheap) try Iolite or Kyanite. A good Kyanite can actually look like a Tanzanite but much much cheaper.

The other gemstone to consider is Zircon or Spinel but they may be harder to find in the colour you''re looking for.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By sheer coincidence I''ve just turned on the television and seen a Kyanite ring sell for £66 - the central stone is 1.99ct. Here''s a picture so you can see how similar to Tanzanite it is. Obviously I wouldn''t suggest this setting but at that price it would be good to get and then change the setting!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I''d still be careful with Kyanite. It cleaves, particularly along one axis, and it''s quite soft (6.5-7 at most), but I''m at a loss as to what else suggest at $400/$500 per carat, particularly if you want a larger stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard that kyanite actually has two harnesses. It''s 7 in one axis, and 4 in another.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that price you could buy 2 gemstones and still have money to spare!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results