shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to get an e-ring--what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

earth2025

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm new here, but have been lurking and reading for a while now. I've read quite a few threads about trading up at retailers where the original diamond was purchased, but I'm not sure what to do with mine. I purchased a .5 carat J SI1 round brilliant set in a 10 gram 18k gold setting from a friend for about $600 (appraised at ~$1900 and originally purchased for $1300) Now I have 3 questions:

1. The appraisal was done by the store where the stone was purchased, and only has the color and clarity written on a document--nothing else. What should be part of an appraisal; should I get the stone re-appraised?

2. I've worn it for a while now, but I'm looking to get an e-ring that is about 1 carat and have it set in a platinum setting. Would the prices even be comparable for me to consider using the ring as a trade in, or should I just sell the ring privately and buy a new ring? I am in Philly right next to Jeweler's Row, so any recommendations would be awesome as well.

3. If I were to go about getting an e-ring, should I buy a stone online, then have a setting made for it B&M, do the entire process online, or everything B&M?

Thanks!

mrmessy

Rough_Rock
so, i just finished my odyssey to find a ring and let me tell you, you are in for a ride.

this was my experience with a potential trade in ring w/o a certificate. no one really wants it. this was a 1 carat, but probably an I1. funny thing is that it was a verragio ring. with yours, i don''t think another appraisal is going to help nor would a it be worth it. it would probably cost $85 for an appraisal and $150 or so for it to be certified, that''s a significant percentage of what you paid for the ring. if a dealer did accept the diamond, assuming it''s a high quality diamond, they probably wouldn''t give you much for it anyway because the profit margin wouldn''t be there for them.

personally, i think you should just take the diamond and get a pendant or something made from it. i''ve gotten estimates as low as $100 to make a pendant out of the other ring that i have. but if you really want some extra money to put towards a new ring, then your best bet will probably be the private market.

would i buy online, absolutely. would i buy b&m, absolutely. some dealers will give you a break on the setting if you buy it with the diamond. most all of them can make any design you see anywhere else. most reputable dealers, online and b&m, will be able to get you what you want. just compare and know the costs.

there you go, my 2 cents. probably about all it''s worth.

1.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 10:38:54 PM
Author:earth2025
Hello,

I''m new here, but have been lurking and reading for a while now. I''ve read quite a few threads about trading up at retailers where the original diamond was purchased, but I''m not sure what to do with mine. I purchased a .5 carat J SI1 round brilliant set in a 10 gram 18k gold setting from a friend for about $600 (appraised at ~$1900 and originally purchased for $1300) Now I have 3 questions:

1. The appraisal was done by the store where the stone was purchased, and only has the color and clarity written on a document--nothing else. What should be part of an appraisal; should I get the stone re-appraised?

2. I''ve worn it for a while now, but I''m looking to get an e-ring that is about 1 carat and have it set in a platinum setting. Would the prices even be comparable for me to consider using the ring as a trade in, or should I just sell the ring privately and buy a new ring? I am in Philly right next to Jeweler''s Row, so any recommendations would be awesome as well.

3. If I were to go about getting an e-ring, should I buy a stone online, then have a setting made for it B&M, do the entire process online, or everything B&M?

Thanks!

Hi!

I live in Manhattan and because of cost and my budget, we did everything online. I just found a reputable vendor (whiteflash) that also was known for great custom work.

In the past (from a previous engagement 1 million yrs ago), I had a diamond. I tried to use it as a trade in (around 17yr ago) and you can''t believe how much they want to give me for it. It''s not worth it. If you can sell it privately
and could get something fair...go for it but don''t be surprised if you''ll be offered very little of what you paid. I like MrMessy''s suggestiong..make something out of it if you can!

This place is great...tell us your budget and what you''re looking for. The PSers will find you something quick!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Earth,

With your original diamond, does it have a GIA report? If not it could be even more difficult to trade it in regrettably, so you could consider the pendant idea if that appeals?

Really it can be much easier to have the diamond and setting done together especially if buying online, if you give us an idea of budget and what you are looking for, we might be able to make some suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results