shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking into my first garnet for a nice ring - help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CKinNYC

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pricescopers!

First post in the colored stones forum!
35.gif

My birthstone is garnet, and I would love to line up a fun project - a garnet solitaire, with a substantial stone, perhaps even set by Leon Mege if my budget will stretch to it!

Now, I know nothing about what to look for in a garnet, in terms of quality and cut. I know I like the red/purple color, and I found this rhodolite garnet on ajsgems.com - http://www.ajsgems.com/Rhodolite-Garnet/gemstone-Garnet-797159549-2046340405.html. I LOVE the color, and the shape/cut - and wanted to ask anyone on here who is more knowledgeable than I (and that''s most/all of you!) what you think of this stone and this vendor.

Also, this is a BIG stone. 6.09cts. I would be making a RHR for a size 5.25 finger. I would be thinking either to set it in a simple solitaire with double prongs - either plain band or with some pave - or maybe with a delicate halo (as Leon Mege does so well). Do you think this stone is just too big?? It would not be for daily wear - more, evenings and special occasions.

Would love to get your input! Thank you so much in advance

CK

CKinNYC

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, MakingTheGrade! Wow, there are some AMAZING garnet pieces out there!

I love the color of makemepretty''s garnet ring - that rich ruby/purple/red color. You think the AJS stone will be quite different from that?

I suppose one thing I could do is buy it, as they have a good return policy.

Thanks!

CK

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never bought from AJS, so I can''t really say. But if you''re comfortable with their return policy then go for it :) Let us know how it looks in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have purchased from AJS and find their return policy quite good. Returns are to the USA so there's less of a shipping hassle. That said, that garnet isn't very pretty - it is too dark and looks to have a brown tone to it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
For a finger of your size, doing a halo around a stone of this size might be too much. I know you said "a delicate halo", but if you make the halo too delicate (with, like, 1 mm stones), there will be no nice proportion between the stone and the halo, and the halo itself will not be sparkly as the stones in it will be too small. And if you go with a "proper size halo" and have the diamonds 1.5-2 mm each, you won''t see any shank as that arrangement will cover almost your whole finger. But OK, let''s take it one step at a time, and see the stone in person first
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, if you are thinking of having LM set it for you, steer away from buying "as is" on sites like AJS -
go to one of the skilled and favoured cutters such as Gene (Precision Gem) or Jeff White (Whites Gems) or Barry (ACS gems) -
and have a gem custom cut . They will have high quality rough, and have the expertise to really make a cut stand out, plus
having a "made to order" gem makes it a bit more special imo.

I know for a fact that Gene did have rough in exactly the colour your describing - red/purple/pink - because
thats who cut mine - thread here with lots of pics, mine sounds very similiar to what you''re describing.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ajs-james-meyer-garnet-bezel-ring.112678/
My one is an umbalite, which tend to be (imho) slightly better performers
in some more lighting situations than rhodolites. I dunno, maybe they just look prettier to me? lol..
I believe Barry may also still have some rough in that colour.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results