shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for where to get a custom ring made

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I believe you mean engraving. And David has one of the best engravers in the business. Ask him to show you some examples. Or let him choose. Also, he does not require a deposit to start work which is nice. Good luck!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
This is just my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt. My engagement diamond 22 years ago was my husbands grandmother's engagement ring stone. He set it in a similiar setting to the Tiffany etoile bezel solitaire (which I love) so the band is approx the same width as the diamond~6.5 mm. The ring is lovely, I truly adore it. That said it is ALOT of band/ring to wear everyday, especially with my band (3mm plain gold) and most days I wear my band and a 2.2mm diamond eternity because the engagement ring is unforgiving if my hand swells. In retrospect I still would have gotten my thick band engagement ring because I love the etoile style and it is simple but just know the width is a REALLY An important consideration if this is a ring she wants to wear all the time and with a wedding band also. The pear halo sounds beautiful! Good luck!

DiamondStore

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,
In my opinion, online store is the best place for buying custom design rings.Here, you will find a great collection with the latest designs and styles, but it is important to buy rings from a reputed Jeweler.

Thanks!!

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not particularly knowledgable, so I won't weigh in on where or who, but I will weigh in on having an impractical engagement ring -

My engagement ring didn't have a very thick band like the ones you're looking at, but it had a large diamond in a big setting (big Tiffany Legacy). I loved it when I tried it on for the first time, I still think it's a beautiful ring. But as the years went by, and we found ourselves surrounded by kids and dogs and chaos, it became less and less and less practical, and I found myself taking it off and sticking it on the kitchen counter more and more. And then, after it almost went into the garbage after a dinner party, I ended up leaving it in the safe altogether and am now getting a new ring.

Honestly, I think the rings you're looking at are going to end up consigned to a similar fate. They might be nice occasional rings or right hand rings, but most of us like to wear our engagement rings daily, and I just think those are too cumbersome for that kind of wear. And unless she has fingers a mile long, if she wants to wear a wedding band, she is going to end up with ring down to her knuckle.

I think those designs Gypsy posted for you are considerably more practical but still blingy and gorgeous. Those are rings I suspect she will still love ten, fifteen, twenty years down the line.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all of the input. I am asking him to make the diamond more sleek taking into account Gypsy's design. I am sticking with the 4 bands however but hopefully less ring and have the diamond more flush if possible. Also I am inquiring about a milgrain design. Will post with updated CAD.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Also I had a question concerning warranty and getting a ring cleaned.
If I go with David Klass he will only cover my ring for 3 years if something goes wrong and I wouldn't have a place to get it cleaned or serviced.
If I end up going with a brick and mortar place closer to home (depending on the price of the quote for the custom design) if I have it serviced every 6 months I have a lifetime checkup for free and they will replace any damage. How should that factor into my decision of who to go to if price quotes end up being similar?

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
This is the structural look that he is suggesting to make it more sleek. He said he took the pave out of the design and will be doing a U-pave design. My main mission is to make sure it isn't bulky so I was wondering if I could get the halo to look more sleek or will it need to be like that to be functional?

I am thinking of asking david how this halo design would look: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-rose-gold-falling-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49364

All input is appreciated.

31239_3_.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this better. I still think 3 shanks instead of 4 would look better.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1455958928|3993215 said:
I like this better. I still think 3 shanks instead of 4 would look better.

You are probably right, I just know when we went and looked together she gravitated towards the 4 rows over the 3 so thats what I am going for. Does the halo look weird or is that just me having no knowledge of CADs? I was thinking about trying to see if he could do the halo like the split shank you suggested.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Not liking the off center support but then I have OCD when it comes to anything not a mirror image

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am all ready to send my center stone to David Klass to begin the process. I was wondering how to go about deciding to go with FedEx or with UPS as those are the two David suggested.

I have also heard USPS registered mail. So which one would be my best bet, I plan on mailing my stone off Friday or Monday :shock:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use USPS. I use priority. I use a small box inside a medium box. I insure it and register it and it takes forever. That's when I am mailing something myself.

HOWEVER, if David is sending you a label, then use Fed Ex. And follow the instructions exactly. And then you are fine. But if you are mailing without a vendor label Fed Ex's insurance for jewelry sucks.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1456286197|3994759 said:
I use USPS. I use priority. I use a small box inside a medium box. I insure it and register it and it takes forever. That's when I am mailing something myself.

HOWEVER, if David is sending you a label, then use Fed Ex. And follow the instructions exactly. And then you are fine. But if you are mailing without a vendor label Fed Ex's insurance for jewelry sucks.

He told me a label will cost $75 which I am all for paying. He said I could probably get a better rate with USPS but I really just want to ensure that my stone will reach him safely and securely.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup. That's normal. Do it through his label.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
I will be shipping off my stone tomorrow to David Klass. When I get the finished pictures should I repost here or start a new post? Thanks for all the help everyone

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you get the finished ring and want to post photos and hand shots, start a new thread on SMTB (show me the bling) as that's the forum for, well....showing off your jewelry!!! Can't wait to see the finished ring!!

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
Last question and I know I should of asked this sooner. How do I know that the diamond I am sending off is the same diamond that I am getting in my returned setting? Is there anything I should do to make sure I know I can verify it when it gets back to me?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cnelson2|1456502709|3996072 said:
Last question and I know I should of asked this sooner. How do I know that the diamond I am sending off is the same diamond that I am getting in my returned setting? Is there anything I should do to make sure I know I can verify it when it gets back to me?

Can you spot the inclusions with a loupe? That's usually how people identify their stones. Get a loupe off ebay if you dont have one.
They are fairly cheap. However, you have a pear and it would be quite difficult to find a "fake" pear to replace your real pear.
(rounds maybe not so hard)...and one more thing...You don't need to worry. DK has worked on LOTs of PSers stones/rings and
their has never been an issue. I dont think he is going to ruin his livelihood over one stone.

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1456503028|3996075 said:
cnelson2|1456502709|3996072 said:

Can you spot the inclusions with a loupe? That's usually how people identify their stones. Get a loupe off ebay if you dont have one.
They are fairly cheap. However, you have a pear and it would be quite difficult to find a "fake" pear to replace your real pear.
(rounds maybe not so hard)...and one more thing...You don't need to worry. DK has worked on LOTs of PSers stones/rings and
their has never been an issue. I dont think he is going to ruin his livelihood over one stone.

I am just a little paranoid. I have the GIA certificate so I guess I could always fall back on that. Its just a big purchase

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
OP, how long did it take for you to get started on this project with DK? I've been emailing and calling for a week and have yet to hear anything other than their answering machine. Maybe they are on vacation or something...but wondering if the whole process will be less responsive than I'd like. Has he been good about getting back to you in a reasonable time frame?

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
sassy_pants|1456517322|3996202 said:
OP, how long did it take for you to get started on this project with DK? I've been emailing and calling for a week and have yet to hear anything other than their answering machine. Maybe they are on vacation or something...but wondering if the whole process will be less responsive than I'd like. Has he been good about getting back to you in a reasonable time frame?

I've been in contact with him for the last 3 weeks. When I sent a first email I was very descriptive and just let him get back to you, from what I gather from the forum he is very busy. It took him a few days to get back to me but since then it's been contact through email pretty consistently every two days.

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
cnelson2|1456540872|3996377 said:

I've been in contact with him for the last 3 weeks. When I sent a first email I was very descriptive and just let him get back to you, from what I gather from the forum he is very busy. It took him a few days to get back to me but since then it's been contact through email pretty consistently every two days.

Thanks for the response! I will try to be a bit more patient...it seems his work is worth the wait. And it sounds like once we get started, communication won't be a problem. I'm just excited to get started!

cnelson2

Rough_Rock
sassy_pants|1456543182|3996407 said:
cnelson2|1456540872|3996377 said:

Thanks for the response! I will try to be a bit more patient...it seems his work is worth the wait. And it sounds like once we get started, communication won't be a problem. I'm just excited to get started!

I'm sure it will be fine, did you send it to the right email? He has two different emails listed online that I ran across, the one that worked for me is [email protected]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results