shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for very nice sapphire under $7k

erikw

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of searching out for a really nice blue sapphire under $7k and even after reading through the colored gemstone guide, I don't really know where to start. I know a few things:
  • Girlfriend's ring size is a 5, so she has fairly petite fingers and she is quite petite.
  • We have picked out a Danhov LE112 Ring
  • A round blue sapphire is her favorite
  • I am looking for something very nice, but not necessarily huge. Quality>quantity.

Any suggestions? Why should I are if a sapphire is heated versus unheated? What size would you recommend? Any great vendors?

Thanks!

S

SparkliesLuver

Welcome! Is $7k for the sapphire and the setting? Also, when you say blue sapphire, can you post some pictures of the color blue she likes?

ETA: Added setting. Is this the correct one?

le112.jpg

erikw

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1454506787|3986122 said:
Welcome! Is $7k for the sapphire and the setting? Also, when you say blue sapphire, can you post some pictures of the color blue she likes?

ETA: Added setting. Is this the correct one?

Thank you all for the responses.

Yep, that is the setting. I think she just wouldn't want a very dark blue or very light blue.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erikw|1454509799|3986151 said:
elle_71125|1454509428|3986144 said:
This one is beautiful too. Bigger and definitely more expensive.

http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1185-round-portuguese-cut-2-32cts

I like this one as well. What does a "Portuguese" cut mean?

A Portuguese cut is just a different type of cut for a round gemstone. It has more facets vs. a typical round cut. These diagram pics (just examples from google) will hopefully show you difference in number of facets. I think most people wouldn't notice the difference between the two cuts if looking from afar (since both are round), but up close/if you are looking for it you can see that they are cut differently.

Diagram pics of most typical cuts, including round
$_1-1.jpg

Diagram of Portuguese cut round
$_1.jpg

PS I recommend looking at GemFix or Mastercut gems for a great stone (as others have already said with the ones they linked). I think they will have the best stones for your price/color preference. Good luck!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!
Many PS-ers are member of the FB page 'Fine Faceted Gems and Cabs Market'. It's good to let the experts here advice you first on colour and cut though before you make a purchase.
I am not familiar with this particular seller. On the photo the colour looks good. Please note that these sapphires may darken in low light. Still beautiful but good to realise...

_924.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option. Not sure if this one is available though. I believe this is a well known and reputable seller.

_925.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1454515238|3986216 said:
Another option. Not sure if this one is available though. I believe this is a well known and reputable seller.

I saw him re-post this relatively recently so I think it's still available, and he does seem like a well-known and reputable vendor from what I've seen. I adore this stone and think it would be gorgeous!

ETA: Here's a nice looking one from Jeff Davies (a well known and great seller). https://www.pinterest.com/pin/342555115385146100/

He has all of his inventory on pintrest if that is of interest :)

erikw

Rough_Rock
Thanks again! One thing I'm struggling with is the wide range of prices that I see sapphires go for. Any suggestions on questions to ask to determine if the price equates to the value?

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price will depend on the nuances of colour, the price the vendor procured the stone for, and how quickly the vendor wants to move the stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erikw|1454540695|3986489 said:
Thanks again! One thing I'm struggling with is the wide range of prices that I see sapphires go for. Any suggestions on questions to ask to determine if the price equates to the value?

Thank you!

I think a big factor is whether the stone has been heat treated (or any other treatment) versus untreated. Untreated stones will be more expensive vs. those with treatment. Given your budget I would recommend only considering heat treatment (other treatments can sometimes make the stone less durable, so I wouldn't risk that). Also the color is a big factor, with "royal blue" commanding a higher price vs. other colors. Also more saturated stones will be more expensive than those with a "weaker" color. Another factor is where the stone is from (origin).

Here are some good articles about what is considered "ideal" in terms of origin of the stone + color. But definitely keep in mind that your own eyes are the most important factor in terms of what color you prefer! My personal tastes are such that the most ideal colored sapphire is less appealing to me than slightly lighter colors, so make sure you dont buy a stone based on whether or not other people find the color "ideal".

http://www.gia.edu/sapphire-quality-factor
https://www.palagems.com/sapphire_connoisseurship.htm

erikw

Rough_Rock
Quick update over here! I just happened to be in San Diego on my "spring break" (I am working towards getting my MBA as well as employed full time). Long story short, I stopped by GemFix. I had a sapphire in mind that he had listed on his site, but ultimately decided on a 2.44ct (8mm) sapphire that he had for sale for $6,100. It has a certificate from GIA and was in my opinion the best he had within the size range I was looking for.

These photos don't do it justice because I am taking them at night under artificial lights, but it's a very pretty stone.

Let me know what you think!

sapphire_15.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edited: that's what I get for not reading the updates before posting!

It sounds like you had a good idea what you were wanted before you got to Gemfix, so even though the photo, as you yourself said, doesn't show a fabulous looking stone, I'm sure it is in real life. :)) It must feel great to have found "the one," both the stone and the fiance!

ETA: given that most sapphires of medium or darker tone and strong saturation tend to go dark in low light situations, it is a strong point in its favor that it does not.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a photo on the back of your hand either in sunlight or next to indirect sunlight, then we can see the colour of it!!!!

erikw

Rough_Rock
I just snagged some better photos of the sapphire. I caught these outdoors - really shows off the color very well.

20160327_190249.jpg 20160327_190312.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results