shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for thoughts on a custom setting

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I had been planning to wait to start asking about this, but then I saw Lula and Gypsy's thread over in the hangout and figured that I should go ahead and start asking. I know that my girlfriend wants me to surprise her with the ring, and I am 90% sure she would not be happy with a temporary setting. We looked at a bunch of settings on overstock.com (they just had a bunch of different designs, so it worked pretty well for getting an idea of what she liked, but they weren't quality settings), and she was happy with the different rings I picked out. Also, she has said that she will love whatever ring I do pick out because I picked it out (is this the truth or is this what everyone says?).

I already have the diamond picked out (it's a princess cut). The majority of the rings she liked were either halos, split shanks, or solitaires. As an example, she was looking through a magazine the other day and commented that she liked this ring (not in a "the ring" kind of way, just a one of many kind of way):
http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/Collections/Simply+Tacori#/2565RD9

Anyway, I pretty much decided I would go with a split shank style (this is my favorite of the three, do I need to rethink this?) and I kind of settled with a variation on this setting (not truly a split shank, but still a very(?) similar effect):
http://www.jfosterjewelers.com/Cate...&item_id=42&ITotal=18&pcId=12&catId= &iType=J,
except I want to do it with two rows of micropave on each rope to make the band thinner. So let me have it. Is this too much? Do I need to go simpler? What about one row of micropave each? Scrap the plan and pick a different setting? Any other thoughts or opinions?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you go with the swirly design I would go with 1 row of pave only. if you go with a split shank then i think 1 row also. sometimes with a split shank it is harder to find a matching wedding band so that is something to consider (although some people like the look of a split shank with a wedding band)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that setting you picked is very pretty! How big is your center stone? What is your budget for the setting?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1311025745|2971703 said:
I think that setting you picked is very pretty! How big is your center stone? What is your budget for the setting?

The center stone is 1 carat. The goal is to keep the setting no more than $4,000.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok to be honest...I think the setting you picked looks too bulky. It may seem similar in style to the Tacori ring your GF liked but to my eye they are totally different. I would advise you to stick with something much much simpler.

a simple pave band is lovely and goes well with a matching wedding band
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5361

this is hoofbeats setting, I absolutely love it for a princess cut
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5702

or a simple split shank could be really nice, something like this
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5665

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love swirly designs- and the one you chose is lovely... but it might overpower a smaller center stone. I too might go for something with a slimmer lines, but keeping the same design. Exactly like you said. Less rows of pave!!! Perfect.

Pave needs to be done WELL, else you'll get lost stones all over the place (I speak as someone who has had inferior pave and now has superior pave... trust me those falling stones are just an utter pain!).

I love that you picked ONE thing-- the swirl and aren't trying to get a halo and a swirl and everything else into the ring. Very smart choice.

Let me show you some of my favorite swirl designs.. you mind?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... so I just realized all my favorite swirl designs are specific to rounds and would not work with a princess.

I think that a the setting you picked, made slimmer by someone like Brian at Brian Gavin Diamonds would be stunning with your princess. Just go with that, but have them do less rows of pave on each swirl like you said. And make the head less bulky (but keep the integrated swirl) as well.

This Verragio is pretty top down and set with a princess... I like the one row of pave: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pulk9zJXMB8/TUWO2W_3ojI/AAAAAAAAAC8/Siv7pfoVbDg/s1600/43.jpg (too frou-frou for me from the profile though)

This Hearts on Fire setting is lovely too, and would look with a princess: http://www.bengarelick.com/commerce/images_products/hbsent00438wa.jpg (this one is 3500 in 18K white gold. You can have something similar made though, custom, and use the swirl head on the design you chose, I liked the idea -- not the execution but the idea-- of the integrated swirl head)

And just because I can...

Not swirl, but gorgeous split shank (just tried this one on today, locally)

Beverly K also has a setting almost identical to this one, and it is less than 4k-- I love the milgrain on the prongs on this one though.

GORGEOUS SPLIT SHANK.jpg

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1311035891|2971806 said:
ok to be honest...I think the setting you picked looks too bulky. It may seem similar in style to the Tacori ring your GF liked but to my eye they are totally different. I would advise you to stick with something much much simpler.

slg, thank you for tell me what you think. That is really what I wanted to find out, what people really thought and not have them worry about hurting my feelings.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
gypsy, I had heard that pave needs just the right touch and I was going to ask about good places to go for that. Would BGD be a good place to go for it? As far as the fewer rows, would you suggest 2 each or 1 each?

I do like the hearts on fire design. Would you suggest opening up a gap between the two strands? One of the jewelers I talked to said that this would dramatically change the way it looked. Did you mean the execution of the integrated swirl head on the original ring? What about it did you not like? I like how the Beverly K prongs wrap around each other.

I would love answers to these questions from other people too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1311044952|2971913 said:
http://www.beverleyk.com/semi-mounts/8wr1234-a-6-5cn-d-d-m.html Here's a beverly K split shank for a princess.

This is my favorite Beverly K split shank, and they can make it for a princess. http://www.beverleyk.com/semi-mounts/8wr1233-a-8-0rd-d-d-m.html

I have to admit I love the Sophia I posted originally though.

Yeah, I don't think either of those is quite right.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We must have been posting at the same time earlier, I didn't see your post.
Okay so...

BGD does primarily CAD and CAST has a bench that is capable of a lot of lovely work, including pave and handmade work too. I have several custom pieces from them myself, and so do quite a few 'in person' friends of mine. Their pave is very good for the type of work they do and they stand behind their pieces with a solid warranty. But more than that, they really take pride in their work so they have high quality standards and if you aren't pleased with something they do whatever they can to make sure you are. I think they would be a good choice given the design you want and your budget.

As for the design itself. Yes, I do think you should open it up. The Tacori she liked is very open and I think it's a great look. It will lighten it up too, which will help

In my opinion one row of bright cut pave with millgrain on the edge would be perfect with an open design. I would have pave go a little over 1/2 the way around, but have the design go all the way around and the millgrain too. You can also ask for hand engraving on the parts of the shank without the pave. They do nice hand engraving too. The point size on the melee should be less than 1 point... maybe 1/2 pointers.

As for the swirl head... show the picture to Brian and ask for something similar, and integrated, but more delicate, he'll get it. Don't worry. You won't have to spell it out for him more than that.

I would make sure to tell Brian that you want the center stone to be the star and that you don't want the design too wide so that the diamond gets lost.

Actually just cut and paste this thread to Brian if you want, and have him read this post. He can read my mind, I swear, so he'll get what i mean and have a CAD out to you to see.

I can't wait to see your final project. She is going to love it!

http://blog.brianthecutter.com/2010/12/13/brian-gavin-creates-magnificent-custom-platinum-braided-diamond-engagement-ring-for-excited-couple%E2%80%A6/ An example of a twist/ braided design by BGD so you can see their work on something similar to what you are looking for.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I know that she doesn't want crossing all the way around. Also, she's not a huge fan of engraving, but I think she would be okay with some.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
I love the swirly split shank you chose and I think that reducing the number of rows will make it perfect. It will compliment the size of the stone you purchased, plus she will love it because you picked out something so beautiful for her. It's so much prettier than a standard split shank IMO. I will echo what others have said about making sure the pave is well-made. It's alot easier for that type of small stone to fall out of the setting if it is not made correctly. But the sparkle will be amazing and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaebond|1311121329|2972577 said:
Actually, I know that she doesn't want crossing all the way around. Also, she's not a huge fan of engraving, but I think she would be okay with some.

I'm not an engraving fan either. Skip it. I do like millgrain on the edges on the shank though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results