shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for the perfect engagement ring

JR88

Rough_Rock
Hi All-

I've been lurking in the forum for a couple weeks trying to learn as I work on finding the perfect stone for an engagement ring. At this point I believe I have settled on these specs - Round Brilliant, 1,10-1,25 Carats, VS2-VVS2, and AGSL 000. Where I am getting hung up and would appreciate any input some more experienced folks may have is:
1) The stone will be going into some sort of platinum tiffany style setting (haven't quite gotten that far at this point but that is the style I know she likes)- I must say I am at a total loss when it comes to a color range. Initially I only wanted to look at colorless but after looking around I'm not sure how far down I could go without telling a difference. This is probably where I am most willing to make some sort of a compromise, within reason. Thoughts on how much of a difference there is between say an F and an I? G/H seems like it might be an ok range for a compromise.
2) Branded cuts v. non-branded? I've looked at brick and mortar stores looking at the Lazare in particular and Brian Gavin Signature and Whiteflash ACA online. My question would be how much of a difference does a branded cut make? Am I missing out on potentially great stones by limiting myself to these branded cuts?

Thank you all in advance for your input!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Color: In that size range, anything from D to H ought to still look white from the side as well as face up. I color range will show some tint from the side. I range is where most people start to notice tints. imo, J and K are too far down the scale unless you know that she wants a warm diamond.

One caveat: AGS grades softer on color than GIA does. I have an AGS graded F now, but I think maybe GIA would call it a G. It has some warmth but not a lot. Also, the larger the diamond, the more tint it concentrates, so look at diamonds in person in the size range you are planning to buy, not stuff like 1.5ct if you want to compare colors and decide whether or not H or I is too much tint. My 1.2ct GIA graded G was darned near colorless, even if I put it beside a colorless cz. Even from the side. I think you'd be happy with G and maybe H, assuming GIA color standards.

Branded vs. unbranded: It depends on whose unbranded. Tiffany or Hearts on Fire cost 'way too much. Brian Gavin, Whiteflash ACA are more reasonable. In-house stones that PS vendors have are usually more of a sure bet than the "virtual stone" database, and personally, I only looked at in-house stones when I bought mine. I kind of figure that the PS vendors snatch up the best of the best to offer in-house, and the virtual stones left over may be quite nice but might have some quirks or something.

(I'm single and I bought diamonds for myself.)

Look up "Pricescope cheat sheet" thread for the dimensions and angles to consider, etc. Or NiceIce's article about 15 seconds to success, if you want to buy using a restrictive "formula" to help eliminate poorer performers.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-wink-jones-of-highperformancediamonds.196427/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-wink-jones-of-highperformancediamonds.196427/[/URL]
^ That's a testimonial from a happy Crafted By Infinity buyer. I posted it because sometimes people try the less costly unbranded diamond and it doesn't work out. Don't compromise on cut. You may or may not need to buy a branded stone. I purchased a GIA triple excellent diamond that looked good on paper, but it always seemed bland to me in person. It was a hearts & arrows and all that. But just didn't have enough contrast and the arrows were too slivery. I finally traded it in on an upgrade (the AGS F stone) and I am not perfectly happy with it. You need to allow yourself enough time to find the right combination of specs, performance, and price, sometimes. That's especially true if you are looking to save as much money as possible on the purchase.

Enjoy your search. Ask us questions. :D

JR88

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your reply! I think I have narrowed the search down to 4 stones. Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated. The 4th diamond is about $2,500 more than the 1st 3 based on what is available that I have found. Worth the extra cost?

1)
H
VS1
Ideal
AGS Triple Ideal
Depth 61.2
Table 56.5
Crown Angle 34.7
Star 51.0
Pavilion 40.8
Crown % 15.1
Lower Girdle 76.0
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted

2)
H
VVS2
Ideal
AGS Triple Ideal
Depth 61.3
Table 57.0
Crown Angle 34.9
Star 51.0
Pavilion 40.8
Crown % 15.0
Lower Girdle 78.0
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible

3)
H
VS1
Ideal
AGS Triple Ideal
Depth 61.9
Table 55.9
Crown 34.9
Star 53.0
Pavilion 40.9
Crown % 15.4
Lower Girdle 77.0
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible

4)
Round
AGS Triple Ideal
G
VS2
Table %: 55.7
Depth %: 61.8
Crown %: 15.4
Crown Angle: 34.9
Star %: 53.0
Pav Angle: 40.8
Pavillion %: 43.3
Lower Girdle %: 77.0
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: Thin To Medium Faceted

screen_shot_2013-12-29_at_12.png

screen_shot_2013-12-29_at_0.png

screen_shot_2013-12-29_at_1.png

screen_shot_2013-12-29_at_2.png

JR88

Rough_Rock
If anyone has any input on the diamonds above or think there is something else I should be looking at, any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know the pricing of the other stones, but here's a stone for comparison purposes. Same size, same color, is eye-clean, and top-notch cut. If this stone is less expensive than the others you had linked, I would go for this one, without a doubt:

1.13ct, H, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.130-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104067973010

If your budget is larger, I would also consider this stone:

1.216ct, H, VS1
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.216-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104052029007

JR88

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Rocky. Is there any reason in particular you think I should be looking at the blue line? I hadn't ruled it out but don't know much about them. The first 3 in the images I posted (Whiteflash ACA's) are around 8-9 and the 4th is a Brian Gavin Signature around 11.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
JR88|1388442617|3583324 said:
Thanks for the reply Rocky. Is there any reason in particular you think I should be looking at the blue line? I hadn't ruled it out but don't know much about them.

The Blue stones allow you to get more 'bang for your buck.' They are lower in price than similarly spec'd stones, simply because they possess fluorescence, which has gotten a bad name over the years (a very small percentage of stones with fluor appear milky/hazy). The stones from the BG Blue line are specifically hand-inspected to ensure they don't possess any negative attributes from the fluorescence. Uninformed people still hold the past prejudice against fluorescence, from a time when evidence-based data on this topic was not readily available. This will allow you to get a larger stone, for the same amount of money (always a nice bonus!).

Personally, I prefer a stone with fluorescence, as it gives a whiter face-up appearance in sunlight, and is generally just a cool phenomenon!

I've purchased one of these Blue stones, myself, and can tell you that the quality is top-notch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results