shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for some direction

ECUTwinMama

Rough_Rock
This is my first time posting a question instead of just sharing bling, so forgive me if I post in the wrong spot.

My baby sister's engagement is impending- I think he'll approach me for help very soon with a goal of proposing in August or September (a big move is happening then for them).

B (my sister) has very particular taste that tends toward expensive. ;-) She's found a mounting she loves, but it will require modification. I'm considering whether going custom from the outset isn't the best bet for quality and price. Where should we go to begin looking at that?

For reference, the mounting she loves is this one (and I'd say excuse the notes, but those are the modifications she wants so it is relevant! image_526.jpg

Any guidance would be appreciated!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a stunning ring! Seems like your sister has beautiful taste! I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but I would imagine they would need a rough budget in order to make some recommendations.

Honestly, the style of the ring just has me screaming CvB (Caysie van Bebber)!! Everything that she produces is stunning to me and I'm dying to work with her! She works with Erica at LAD http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/ but you could also take a look at her Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/CVBinspiredDesign?ref=pr_shop_more

I don't know what CvB pricing is like, but David Klass is also highly recommended here and is said to be very reasonable. Again, will depend on your budget.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he hasn't approached you yet, don't start shopping! Please wait until HE is ready. I'd forget all of this for now. He could get very alienated that you are doing this when he hasn't asked you/indicated he is ready for this next step.

ECUTwinMama

Rough_Rock
Duly noted- you're right. They are openly talking about their plans to marry and he's asked for ring inspiration and said he'll come to me for advice. I'm just trying to eliminate some of the time the research could take then by knowing more now. "Here are some well known and reputable custom jewelers, should you go that route. Yes, she does want yellow gold." Much of this, he knows. I'm just hoping to be prepared to offer suggestions when he needs it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely go custom, because the setting she posted is custom anyway. You can't just buy that and alter it. It's a Singlestone setting, but their prices are astronomical. Caysie van Bebber's bench is as good or better than Singlestone, and I can think of no one better to make that particular setting (Contact Love Affair Diamonds). He needs to know that he should allow 2-3 months for a custom setting, and even more time to find the right yellow diamond. So planning ahead is a good idea. 4-6 months ahead would be really good considering the yellow diamond could take some time to find, and the setting cannot be started without the stone.

She wants the whole setting yellow gold and a yellow center diamond? Platinum setting will usually make the diamond look more yellow and stand out more. I'd only do yellow gold prongs and gallery to enhance the yellow stone with the rest platinum.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i think it's great you're doing some looking now so you will have answers for him. My BFF told me her and her BF are talking marriage and she told him to ask me about her tastes. i know exactly what she would like. Nothing wrong with that!

Anyway, i was purusing DBL as i am often wont to do on my lunch break and came across a similar design with a W/X colored OMC.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-old-mine-diamond-178ct-w-xvs1-branded-dbl-modern-antique-diamond-gia-r4770

ECUTwinMama

Rough_Rock
That's exactly it! Minus the prongs, anyway. It really is gorgeous.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ECUTwinMama|1458397710|4007814 said:
That's exactly it! Minus the prongs, anyway. It really is gorgeous.

Any idea of his budget? That is a fairly expensive setting. Its funny that DBS says
"made specially and exclusively for Diamonds by Lauren". I thought/think that setting was/is a Singlestone setting.
Yennyfire has that setting with an oval (it's lovely BTW) and I believe hers came from Singlestone.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-oval-and-singlestone-setting-perfection.166449/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-oval-and-singlestone-setting-perfection.166449/[/URL]

ECUTwinMama

Rough_Rock
Yessi's ring is GORGEOUS!

I don't know budget yet. Hopefully soon! They are coming into town and staying with us next weekend, so I'm certainly hoping we begin the conversations then!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results