shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for setting ideas for old diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
I have two old wedding sets, inherited from my great aunts. None of the rings are in a style I would wear so I want to do something with the stones.

Set one has a pretty round oec (I think) maybe about .65 - .70ct. It had been reset in to a horrible swirly type solitaire setting back in the 70''s. The wedding band is original from the 30''s and has two rows of five RB about .12 - .15ct that look pretty nice, although two of them have quite an obvious large culet.

The second set also has a round oec of similar size, however it has a pretty good size chip in the girdle as well as another layered type fracture on the crown. Because I know this is the original setting (fishtail I think it is called), and knowing my uncle the bargain hunter
emwink.gif
I suspect it was originally purchased with this fracture back in the 30''s. Between this fracture and girdle chip, I don''t think much can be done with this stone without some serious recutting. The wedding band has two rows of seven single cut stones, maybe .07 - .10ct. At least two of these 14 single cut stones also have open culets.

My thought is to have the 10 diamonds set into a 1/2 eternity with the large culet stones at the ends, not front and center where they would be obvious. Looking for ideas for the .65 oec along with the 14 small single cuts, maybe a pendant, or another type of ring? Might even consider recutting the chipped stone to work it in. Would definitely consider a vintage style setting. Just don''t know where/how to appropriately use single cut diamonds.

Anyone with any thoughts, suggestions, photos??

Here is what I am working with...

OldSets1.jpg

shady71

Shiny_Rock
bump

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I love both of those two solitaires, I have to say. The older one is just perfect the way it is. And the newer one is in a very crisp and sleek setting. Whether it is 70''s or not would not bother me, I think it still works.

I''m not sure if it would be cost effective to reset the smaller diamonds in the two bands. Maybe someone else would know.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would contact Ari and Singlestone..

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you use the single cuts as a halo around the bigger stone in a pendent? Or what about those Diamonds by
the yard with the big one in the center and the littler ones spaced out around the chain. That would be a nice
piece of jewelry to own.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:09:43 AM
Author: tyty333
Could you use the single cuts as a halo around the bigger stone in a pendent? Or what about those Diamonds by
the yard with the big one in the center and the littler ones spaced out around the chain. That would be a nice
piece of jewelry to own.
Thanks for the input. That was exactly my thought, but I don''t know if single cut diamonds are appropriate for a halo and whether 14 stones are enough to go around the bigger stone. If I need extras wonder if it would be a problem to match these older single cut stones??

Think I need to send off the 10 larger stones for the 1/2 eternity while I ponder what to do with the others...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results