shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Maximum Wearability

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi - I''m replacing my lost 1.5 ct diamond ring - platinum, a fairly low set semi-bezel design with 5 channel set 0.04 ct stones on each side. (Insurance check has now arrived! :) ) I had picked that design because I thought it would be more wearable (like under winter gloves, when reaching into tight spaces like pockets or purse, etc.) than higher set prong styles. Still, I ended up wearing just my plain narrow metal wedding band a lot more than I expected when doing things like exercise class, gardening, and chores around the house.

Maybe I am expecting too much to be able to wear a fancy diamond ring all day, every day. I thought I would ask all of you when you do and when you don''t wear your beautiful rings. Have you found situations where you had to remove them that you didn''t expect? I''m getting another chance to design my dream ring, and I''d like to improve on it, if at all possible. I figure narrow, light, close to the hand styles are probably best, but maybe there''s more to it.

As far as I am concerned, the more I can wear my gorgeous new diamond ring-to-be, the better!

Thanks. And, all you of Pricescopers are great!
35.gif

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
If you want soemthing that wears like a plain band, but you want something fancy or unique why not consider a tension ring? Tension set rings are my personal favorite engagement ring styles.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A 1.5 carat stone is fairly sizeable and even if it is set low, it will still be higher than most wedding bands. I''m not sure how to make it any more wearable except maybe a more rounded gypsy set sort of ring that looks like a dome with the stone set into it. It wouldn''t be all that feminine though.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 9:46:17 PM
Author:Fly Girl
Hi - I''m replacing my lost 1.5 ct diamond ring - platinum, a fairly low set semi-bezel design with 5 channel set 0.04 ct stones on each side. (Insurance check has now arrived! :) ) I had picked that design because I thought it would be more wearable (like under winter gloves, when reaching into tight spaces like pockets or purse, etc.) than higher set prong styles. Still, I ended up wearing just my plain narrow metal wedding band a lot more than I expected when doing things like exercise class, gardening, and chores around the house.

Maybe I am expecting too much to be able to wear a fancy diamond ring all day, every day. I thought I would ask all of you when you do and when you don''t wear your beautiful rings. Have you found situations where you had to remove them that you didn''t expect? I''m getting another chance to design my dream ring, and I''d like to improve on it, if at all possible. I figure narrow, light, close to the hand styles are probably best, but maybe there''s more to it.

As far as I am concerned, the more I can wear my gorgeous new diamond ring-to-be, the better!

Thanks. And, all you of Pricescopers are great!
35.gif
I''m having my ring done with 8 prongs and hopefully no higher than 7mm finger to table... I want it VERY low for the reasons you describe. I have another ring that is like9 or 10mm high and what I would do in these situations (not gloves) is to turn it around into my palm - if it is in my way. I plan to wear my ring for everything. I''m not the type to have a ring just for show... it''s mostly for me so I''m gonna want to wear it for everything EXCEPT making meatloaf or kneading bread. And maybe painting lol I know they frown on it but I fully intend to wear it for chores and gardening etc. I want a ring that lives with me. I totally hear ya... unfortunately I can''ts ay that my idea is spot on yet... we''ll have to wait and see! Do you have a pic of your old ring? and do you know how high it is from table to finger?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
This is the only photo I have of my old ring. The old cert says the stone was 4.4 mm deep and I remember the culet came just above my finger. You can''t tell from this angle, but the stone was open from the sides and from below. Really couldn''t lower it any more.

The new diamonds I am looking at will be a tiny bit deeper. I''m going for the ideal cut this time around. (of course!!!) The old stone was very good (2.8 on the HCA, G, E, E, E), but I want even more sparkle.

plat 1.50 wrap .04yellows.JPG

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
That is really very pretty, Fly Girl!!
30.gif

Love the design!! Kind of a swirled, half bezel, but not. It''s really gorgeous!!

But I don''t think you''re gonna get any lower than that unless you go like KCour suggested. Gypsy style, with the stone set down into a dome of metal. And KCour is right. That is rather "Plain Jane" and better suited for a man''s wedding band that a gal''s e-ring.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2007 1:09:15 AM
Author: Finding_Neverland
That is really very pretty, Fly Girl!!
30.gif

Love the design!! Kind of a swirled, half bezel, but not. It''s really gorgeous!!

But I don''t think you''re gonna get any lower than that unless you go like KCour suggested. Gypsy style, with the stone set down into a dome of metal. And KCour is right. That is rather ''Plain Jane'' and better suited for a man''s wedding band that a gal''s e-ring.
lol the mt fiji look - a dome that slopes down in every direction so that it eases into everything/where lol

eac

Shiny_Rock
For wearability, I would go for either a low-set full bezel, or a modernized "gypsy" ring. I have an RHR that is a three-stone diamond gypsy ring. I had a hard time wearing a prong-set ring on my right hand, but the gypsy ring has been very durable, in the six months since I had it made.

This page has some examples of chunky, sturdy bezels and a "gypsy" ring with modern flair.

http://www.royaljewellerystudio.co.nz/jewellery_search.php?type=ring&stone=diamond&material=&page=2&searchtrigger=search

And this page has some more modern gypsy rings - identified here as "flush" set.

http://www.14karats.com/platinum_jewelry.php

Enjoy your new ring!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this Sholdt design ... and it always reminds me of Sydney Bristow''s last e-ring on Alias ... and she was a SPY!! Now that''s MAXIMUM wearability
3.gif
2.gif
9.gif

Not sure which online vendors carry sholdt designs .. but google ''em ... lots of sleek, modern, wearable stuff.

Some Michael Bondanza stuff is like that too ... Pearlman''s carries them.

sholdtaliastype.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a bezel setting that appears to sit very low (btw, I''m another that prefers a low setting!):

Half Round Bezel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results