shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for ideas for my new ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Before I say anything else, know that I want my new ring to be CHEAP. As in, DIRT. VERY DIRTY. Hehe. I refuse to own something that I get attached to and then have to pawn off again in dire straights, because I refuse to use up all our money again on something super expensive. For now at least. Someday I want a new diamond, but right now I want something cheap and pretty.

I am considering a colored stone to put in my old setting, but I am also open to new settings. I am ok with sterling silver - I can rhodium plate it. I think what I want right now is something WAY simple if I get a new setting, like a three stone or a solitaire. If it''s a three stone, I want pear sidestones only. If a solitaire, I want an EC or cushion cut.

I''ll admit, I don''t know what I want. Lol but you ladies always find the prettiest things, and I really miss having more than my wedding band on right now.
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape gemstone will your setting take?
What metal colour is it?
What is your budget?
What is the mm size of stone that will fit?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 3:52:06 PM
Author: Chrono
What shape gemstone will your setting take? A round, if that is where I want to use it.

What metal colour is it?White gold.

What is your budget? Under $500, at this time. Though I want to go even less.

What is the mm size of stone that will fit? In this setting, 6mm, I believe.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Monkeypit - Dan Stair has a BUNCH of gems, well under the $500 mark that would fit your setting, and others that you could have set in something different if you wanted!

http://customgemstones.com/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 4:13:53 PM
Author: geckodani
Here are a few I've been drooling over.

http://customgemstones.com/SPINEL/sp1029.html

http://customgemstones.com/GARNET/ga981.html

Or Gene's got a violet sapphire that makes me swoon right now: http://precisiongem.com/html/html/Sapphire.html
If MP choses that route, then she'll need a new setting. I was trying to help her save some money by reusing her old setting. I've noticed that settings aren't that cheap these days, even the plain metals ones, then there's also the setting fee which can add up.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out any of the second hand or auction sites? You could probably find something really nice well within your budget.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definately consider looking at the bistro or Ebay. I have found some real winners that include both the setting and the stone!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 4:16:33 PM
Author: Upgradable
Have you checked out any of the second hand or auction sites? You could probably find something really nice well within your budget.
What sites would you recommend? I''m interested as well!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 2:48:14 PM
Author:MonkeyPie
Before I say anything else, know that I want my new ring to be CHEAP. As in, DIRT. VERY DIRTY. Hehe. I refuse to own something that I get attached to and then have to pawn off again in dire straights, because I refuse to use up all our money again on something super expensive. For now at least. Someday I want a new diamond, but right now I want something cheap and pretty.

I am considering a colored stone to put in my old setting, but I am also open to new settings. I am ok with sterling silver - I can rhodium plate it. I think what I want right now is something WAY simple if I get a new setting, like a three stone or a solitaire. If it''s a three stone, I want pear sidestones only. If a solitaire, I want an EC or cushion cut.

I''ll admit, I don''t know what I want. Lol but you ladies always find the prettiest things, and I really miss having more than my wedding band on right now.
39.gif
MonkeyPie - definitely look at Gene at www.precisiongem.com as well! He likely has rough that would be affordable as a 6mm - or could be looking for some if he knows what you like.. Just email him and he''ll let you know what types would be more affordable.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 5:15:05 PM
Author: cinnamon013

Date: 2/5/2009 4:16:33 PM
Author: Upgradable
What sites would you recommend? I''m interested as well!
I can''t list specific sites because it is against PS policy, but try googling jewelry classifieds or something similar. You should find places to look.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much ladies - I knew you would be a help! Not to mention it''s fun looking for stuff like this.

If I find a stone I love, I have an ebay seller I really like that sells sterling silver solitaire settings for super cheap, since I can just get them dipped that''s fine with me. I have a local setter that will set a stone for me for $25. (The one that set my asscher spinel from Jeff.) So if I find a stone I just HAVE to have, I am ok with getting a cheapy setting for now.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
you should get it!! It''s the perfect size, and the price is pretty good
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try vallejo916 on ebay. His pictures are awful, but he has some really inexpensive, but nicely cut rounds all around 6mm in size. One of my favorite stones is from him.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Eee now I am all overwhelmed with choices lol.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
What is the bistro?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MP, I had Dan Stair at customgemstones cut a gemstone to size for me and it turned out great. I love the choices everyone has posted for you as well. Isn''t it fun finding a gemstone you love?
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
MP what does your old setting look like? Is it a simple solitaire? Pics?
1.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie,

Here are THE cheapest settings I''ve ever found on ebay. I''ve never bought one because as soon as I found them, we bought a house and I literally haven''t bought myself ANYTHING. I''d really like to try them out though. I know they are cheap because they''re not heavy at all and wpuldn''t be good for an every day ring like an engagement ring or anything. But they''re pretty and if it''s more of a fun ring they could be really great. You said dirt poor and I thought of them immediately.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Actually I just looked really well and it seems their prices have gone up since I last looked. They do still have some pretty cheap ones though. Might be worth a look if you want really simple. They do sterling, 10k, 14k, and 18k gold.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Now I really wish I hadn''t seen this thread, and now I remember why I stopped visiting this particular forum so much.
40.gif
Now I want things. And I get really carried away with buying "cheap" things. Crap.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 12:00:34 AM
Author: Kelli
Now I really wish I hadn''t seen this thread, and now I remember why I stopped visiting this particular forum so much.
40.gif
Now I want things. And I get really carried away with buying ''cheap'' things. Crap.

5.gif

Kelli I was wondering why I haven''t seen you much lately. Come back!!!

MP, you can try American Set on eBay too. I got my new trellis setting there (it was $200 but really because it was for a bigger stone). The prices are pretty reasonable and I was impressed with the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results