shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for engagement ring 5k budget

nbota34

Rough_Rock
I've recently started my search for an engagement ring for my gf. Luckily I found this site but my head is still spinning with all the info to weave through. I'm hoping to keep the price around 5k.
Months ago my gf sent me a couple of pictures of rings as her not so subtle way of encouraging me to pop the Question. IMG_3439.PNG IMG_3438.PNG
She said she thought they were princess cut though through my research I believe they are cushion. She is not a jewelry snob any means and does not know much about diamonds other than she wants a big shiny one. I would say she has a simple elegant and clean fashion style.

Besides the pictures she sent I've found a setting that I think really suits her style and would possibly allow me to spend a little more on the diamond vs. the halo settings she sent.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-r...band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/10603

If I went that route I would pair it with a princess cut. Hoping to get some advise for settings such as the pictures and stones for each. Ideally I would like the stone to be at least 1-1.2ct but not sure with my budget if it's worth the sacrifie in quality or color for size.
Thanks in advance for any help it is much appreciated.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum. A couple of things to clarify from you post - you're correct that those examples aren't princess cuts, but they aren't cushion cuts either. They're rounds put in to a cushion-shaped halo. It's best to clarify with your GF which shape of center diamond she prefers, because they perform quite differently (especially if you go for an antique cushion cut).

For the setting, while your selection is pretty, it seems pretty apparent that your GF wants a halo. Why would you mess with that and go out on a limb choosing something else? That's kind of setting yourself (and her) up for a disappointment since she's made her preferences known.

After you've decided on cut she really wants, you need to figure out how color sensitive she is. Will anything below an F/G bother her? Does she like the warmer tones of M/N/O (or lower)? All of these are important questions to have answered before you try to decide anything.

Lastly, is the $5,000 for the entire ring or just the diamond? If it's for the diamond, you should be able to find a 1+ carat stone for the budget.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with the previous poster - it looks like she wants a halo, so I would get her a halo. While not evey lady is a halo lady, it is great when they are because it makes the diamond look much bigger!

Also, I would NOT get her a princess cut based on the pics she likes. Either round cut in a cushion shaped halo or cushion in a halo is the way to go. Rounds are easier to shop and generally face up larger than cushions for the same carat weight.

nbota34

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the advice on sticking with the halo. The only reason I looked at other setting s is I'm not sure she's put much thought into it (Iknow sounds ridiculous for a woman now that I type it out )and looked at the profile view of a halo ring. But it seems wise to stick with the halo with either round or cushion. Any pros/ cons with either stone in a halo setting?

Also as far as color I think she would want something close to colorless.

As much as I'd like to have her write out specifics for me I've done a lot of work to downplay my views on marriage and holding off an engagement and really want to surprise her so I won't be doing that so I can keep it a secret.

As far as color I think she would want close to colorless.

The 5k budget is for the ring and the stone.

Thanks again for everyone's time.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ditto all the above. if the lady wants a halo, GET a halo, don't go rouge. That would be like you telling her you REALLY want an Xbox and she goes out and buys you a Playstation because she thought it was better. There are some very affordable options out there, less expensive than the Ritani setting you're looking at. You're paying for the name with Ritani.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493 $1540
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...tline-falling-edge-engagement-ring-item-53073 $1660
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-and-pave-gallery-engagement-ring-item-53074 $1800

Both pictures she send you are round stones in a cushion setting, i would go that route if she likes the look. You're not going to find the size stone you're hoping for... you're looking more at a .8ct stone. But nothing wrong with that, the halo is going to give it added size.

nbota34

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the link soxfan... Curious to hear any opinions of the stone? Or is it better money spent to go with something smaller and better quality?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the one from grace in a heartbeat! I don't mind the k color though.

Q

Queenie60

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the link soxfan... Curious to hear any opinions of the stone? Or is it better money spent to go with something smaller and better quality?

I will totally wait on the experts, but I try to find posters the best bang for their buck! And JBG and LAD have fantastic return policies. You can't go wrong.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have owned a k. I would not suggested putting buying her a k without her knowledge, especially when it's set in Halo and the color will be contrasted against white melee.

Reactions: E B

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like I and others have said-return policy. I have an L in an old cut and it was more white than my MRB K color. I have an L OEC in production with CVB with G/H melee. Old cuts face up far whiter than modern cuts. For your budget, I think this is the best bang for your buck.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it has a return policy if he doesn't like it. What if she doesn't like it? Is she supposed to tell him that after he proposed. Many women wouldn't do that.

And yes you have an L you picked out yourself. We have to assume she likes what "most women" like which is looking white. We don't assume she like brown diamonds or wants a white sapphire instead of a diamond, we shouldn't suggested an off white diamond of we don't know she likes that.

It's a lovely ring, I just know its an unnecessary gamble

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, there are a few ifs but.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132242469416

I'd want to see a photo of the stone to see if it's eye clean but the plot looks good. Wouldnt go near it if they can't give you more pics
I'd probably only offer 3k - of that
I'd only pay with pay pal of course

Still looking :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said she wants colorless. I probably wouldn't go with a K, even with an antique cut because I don't know if she would really appreciate them, without some introduction to them.

For a close to one carat colorless stone with a decent cut and halo setting, you will not be able to get it for $5K. Below is as close as I could get, with a decently cut stone, and a cushion halo setting, and relatively white. The total is over $5K. You will see when you look at the details. A very well cut stone will be more. I don't have time to look through that many more stones. Maybe other PSers will, but I wouldn't go lower than H if she wants close to colorless. You can try some SI1 stones, if you are willing to see them and decide. But the SI1s on James Allen don't seem to be that well cut.

both of these are .9 carats.

GIA 6251770402 found on both james allen and bluenile
$4040 on James Allen
On BN: LD08792054

or
GIA 5256712757 $4100 on James Allen. I like this cut more but it's more expensive.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3060029

cushion setting with round stone on james allen around $1500.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil's eBay found is good if purchased at the right price, Finks is a reputable jeweler in Virginia, but I am not sure how OP will feel about the no returns policy..

OP, in your case, I would actually reach out to IDJ in NYC. I would have them find you the largest stone with an excellent cut, eye-clean, in the H-I color range and set it in a Gabriel&Co halo, maybe something like this -https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER10839W44JJ. They always provide the best pricing on G&Co.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil's eBay found is good if purchased at the right price, Finks is a reputable jeweler in Virginia, but I am not sure how OP will feel about the no returns policy..

OP, in your case, I would actually reach out to IDJ in NYC. I would have them find you the largest stone with an excellent cut, eye-clean, in the H-I color range and set it in a Gabriel&Co halo, maybe something like this -https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER10839W44JJ. They always provide the best pricing on G&Co.

Yes I think a steal would be 3 k. Realistic is 3800-4000. And I'd be honest with the seller say I know the retail value is about 3500 for that stone and 2k for the setting. 70% of retail on used items is very reasonable. (obvi I'd first off 3000 because I'm a dick like that)

First I'd wanna see a closer picture of the stone to know if it's eye clean. I do suspect based on the cut quality and platinum halo that this one someone who cared about that sort of thing.

nbota34

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone.

I've reached out the the eBay seller for some additional pics/ questions, however it makes me nervous that he only has one seller rating.

SimoneDi, do you mind clarifying what IDJ stands for? Sorry I didn't see it on the abbreviation forum page.

I'm still considering the antique cushion sent by soxfan. Part of my thinking is my girlfriend really doesn't know anything about diamonds (only has a diamond bracelet that was a gift) and might not appreciate a little less color vs more size. So I feel like it could be a disservice getting her something smaller if she'd enjoy the larger stone just as much. The return policy is also definitely appealing.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the help everyone.

I've reached out the the eBay seller for some additional pics/ questions, however it makes me nervous that he only has one seller rating.

SimoneDi, do you mind clarifying what IDJ stands for? Sorry I didn't see it on the abbreviation forum page.

I'm still considering the antique cushion sent by soxfan. Part of my thinking is my girlfriend really doesn't know anything about diamonds (only has a diamond bracelet that was a gift) and might not appreciate a little less color vs more size. So I feel like it could be a disservice getting her something smaller if she'd enjoy the larger stone just as much. The return policy is also definitely appealing.
Not knowing much about diamonds would be what would make me wary about buying that k. To the layperson you will see a difference in color between the Halo and the center. I can see it in the pictures. Of her goal is to just impress, or have a big white diamond she may not appropriate or get why that k looks the way it does. You know her better than we do so if she doesn't mind a stone looking tinted that's fine, but if she doesn't know anything about diamonds that usually means she just wants something sparkly to show off, and it might make her self conscious when the diamond looks yellowed.

Yes sellers with few postings are a concern. Always why you want to pay with protection like PayPal and ask a lot of questions.

Idj means Idjewelry a jewelry store in New York.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, even though she doesnt know much about diamonds, I would stick with her original pictures. If you are going to up your budget to
$6200 I would get her the biggest round in a cushion shaped halo in the lowest color you think is acceptable (H/I IMO).

Yuketiel at ID Jewerly can help you or we can help you pick a stone/setting from James Allen (or other
vendors).

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally would love a chunky cushion with K color. However, that is only after spending quite some time on pricescope educating myself about diamonds and looking at thousands of pictures and learning to appreciate the character and history of old cuts and deeper colors. I'm also a little older (late 30s) vs the typical newly engaged woman, and care less about what my friends think about my jewelry.

I agree it is risky to propose with such a stone as your future fiancé may be disappointed in the color or cut and may feel embarrassed to show it off if all her friends have whiter round stones.

If she's the kind of gal who loves antiques and has other old jewelry pieces, probability goes up that she will love it, but I think the safest bet is to set a modern round brilliant in a cushion halo. After you propose, you can show her the grace ring (if still available) and ask if she wants to switch as long as you are in the return period for the MRB ring.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with contacting Yekutiel at IDJ to source a .90 round to set in a cushion halo. Maybe he can bring in one of the following stones:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2677167 :love: this stone is probably in NY and Yekutiel may be able to call it in and provide images and possibly beat JA price...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2333340
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3139299 - nice but I prefer the two above

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with those who suggested contacting Yekutiel at IDJ... but in a 1.0 ct, I think you'd be just fine with a J color -- especially in a halo. J will face up white, and the sides will be covered by the halo.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some options on JA:

First choice:
HCA: 0.7, largest @ 6.27 mm, Med Fluoro (will look whiter), SUPER CLEAN @ VS1, $3480
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2763008

Second choice:
HCA: 1.4, 6.16 mm, SUPER CLEAN @ VS1, $3490
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3020939

With this setting:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493

Either diamond will be in budget with that cushion halo setting.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say that I pretty much agree with all of the latest comments. Some great diamond selections by msop04 and ac117!

As much as I think that J is a fine color, I would probably stay at I color in a halo, unless it is a high J or has some fluoro. I would trust Yekutiel at IDJ on his opinion.

Regarding the eBay ring, if possible to purchase it at a much lower cost, that could be a nice buy, but again no return policy, few reviews of the seller.. up to you really, if you feel comfortable with all of that. Also, I personally wouldn't care (my original e-ring was an heirloom), but I know that some girls would NOT want preloved.

The Jewels by grade ring is beautiful, but I would not buy her an antique stone, especially in K, if her inspiration pics are clearly a round in a cushion halo. I think that antique cuts are an acquired taste and they do not necessarily appeal to the masses, especially the younger generation.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say that I pretty much agree with all of the latest comments. Some great diamond selections by msop04 and ac117!

As much as I think that J is a fine color, I would probably stay at I color in a halo, unless it is a high J or has some fluoro. I would trust Yekutiel at IDJ on his opinion.

Yes... a J stone with fluoro would be my choice (unless Yekutiel can find an equally nice I in the same size/cut quality for the same price).

Another option would be a 60/60 stone that faces up larger. Some don't care for these, but they do throw a ton of white light and are very bright. I really like them, and I love the size! (but I'm biased -- my 3.33 ct upgrade is close to 60/60) :razz:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I mean msop be fair didn't the color in your j while set in a Halo mother you just a bit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results