shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an OEC

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Lovesparklesparle and @foxinsox, it was raining and gloomy here today. So the sun didn’t come out to play with my stone. Under the office lighting it’s quite sparkly. Is the real test is under natural sunlight? Here are two pics I took under my desk to try to get diffused or indirect light.

I paid USD1,500. It’s a 1.35ct N SI2
B6CDB3D5-9C79-4AE5-B5FD-637E0FAB7E4E.jpeg

Attachments

• 8847FA0E-098B-4765-A45E-DA332771B3B1.jpeg
    8847FA0E-098B-4765-A45E-DA332771B3B1.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 10

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Well, definitely cannot argue with that price! It’s got great coverage. Seems to have some nice action :) what does your head and heart say?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the asset looks great? I very much like this stone! But in the end, you are going to wear it. YOU have to love it...

rubyjim

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WOWWWWW!!! I love love love LOVE your sapphire ring!!! That's my next project. Thank you for sharing pics and good luck with the OEC!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The real test imo is whether you like it but sparkly on a gloomy day is good. And that price is terrific!
Where did you find it? How tinted is it as an N? It looks pretty white in these pix but of course OECs are great for masking face up colour. Is it a graded N or an estimated N? How will you set it?

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
@Lovesparklesparle both my heart & head are waiting for the sunshine today I suppose. Need to wear it a bit more to see if this relationship deepens itself :lol:

@soxfan thanks a lot for your encouraging words! I like the stone already in its wonky imperfect charm!

@rubyjim thank you!

@foxinsox it was an ebay find, I just happened to see the auction ending when I was searching around for oecs and put my bid at 1500 in not thinking I'd win. It comes with a GIA certificate, so a GIA graded N. It looks light buttery but not golden. In office lighting it's a nice sparkly warm thing... sorry it's 6:50am here and I can't find a better word. I might set it in an F/G halo just to bring out the colour so the stone feels even more antiquey. To be honest, I don't think I've seen an N colour around here much. Most people here wear DEF and sometimes G.

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
8A2B7FE7-1205-493A-8FAA-F84EC8C1AED2.jpeg

Here she is with my 2 G VS2 GOG H&A and 1 I VS2 ACA ring. The ACA is the furthest to the OEC. The colour is pretty accurate to real life.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox it was an ebay find, I just happened to see the auction ending when I was searching around for oecs and put my bid at 1500 in not thinking I'd win. It comes with a GIA certificate, so a GIA graded N. It looks light buttery but not golden. In office lighting it's a nice sparkly warm thing... sorry it's 6:50am here and I can't find a better word. I might set it in an F/G halo just to bring out the colour so the stone feels even more antiquey. To be honest, I don't think I've seen an N colour around here much. Most people here wear DEF and sometimes G.
Light buttery sounds like a very apt description. Great find and I hope you enjoy wearing it. If you do want to play up the colour, you could put it in a YG cup to intensify the tint.

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
07D0FA5C-E6B3-4879-8104-C506CC061292.jpeg 0F1A4FD2-AA43-4640-A87B-CFC75D81E890.jpeg

Thank you for being so kind! I posted the stone here to get the brutal truth on how it is. I know it’s not a PS standard stone. But you guys have been so kind! There’s no clear pattern but the chunky fire is growing on me.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty good especially for that price. How does it look as far as clarity? Is it eye clean or eye clean enough enough for you?
The only real question is will you be happy wearing it especially if you plan to wear it more than you do your beautiful sapphire Ering.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like a keeper to me! It looks huge on your finger and the price can't be beat. I would be much more willing to forgo a "perfect" cut in an old cut diamond. What a fabulous find! :clap:

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
The centre is nice and bright! Video please
I see half the petals in the center most of the time so I’ll try to get a video over the weekend!

@Lookinagain It is eyeclean when I hold the diamond at 3 inches. There is a white crystal in the center of the table that is visible under a 10x loupe. The other inclusions are twinning wisps in the table as well which I can’t see. I’ll wear it around the house properly this weekend to get to know it. Need like it enough to wear it everyday!

Thanks @twang07 and @kindred :kiss2:

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
07D0FA5C-E6B3-4879-8104-C506CC061292.jpeg 0F1A4FD2-AA43-4640-A87B-CFC75D81E890.jpeg

Thank you for being so kind! I posted the stone here to get the brutal truth on how it is. I know it’s not a PS standard stone. But you guys have been so kind! There’s no clear pattern but the chunky fire is growing on me.
Looking at that picture, you are being far too hard on it. It's not a perfectly symmetrical ideal-cut sure but it's totally got the flowery pattern under the table and definitely a snowflake around the edges too.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
@Lovesparklesparle have you received your OEC? Do you love it?

Not yet! But it has returned from AGS and the results are;

(In brackets will be what was estimated in the appraisal before certification)

Clarity: si1 (si2)
Weight: 1.125ct (1.08)
Colour: L (L)
Polish: vg (vg)
Symmetry: vg (vg)
Dimensions: 6.6x6.54x4.17 (6.5mmx6.5mm)
Depth: 63.4% (na)
Table: 51.7%

So pretty stoked with that! Sorry for the hijack lol

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I think your stone is amazing and like I said for an amazing price. But! As someone who has been on both sides of the situation, if you only have one shot of picking the right stone, trust your heart, not your head.

Many have said they grew to love their Oec.

I convinced myself this would be the case for my original e ring. I wanted it to be the case. It definitely was not. Over time my bad feeling festered and I ended up resenting my bad decision.

I recently bought and returned an Oec to replace my e ring. I really, really wanted it to be the one. (The kind folks here helped me with the decision ) After much agonising I went with my heart and sent it back.

And now finally it would appear I have found THE ONE!

I am not trying to persuade you one way or another, but like everyone has said, you have to love it, you have to wear it all day. It’s a great purchase and everyone likes it, but only you know if it’s the one.

Sure you can upgrade again in the future but if you’re spending a lot of time obsessing over the “flaws” now, I would have to consider if I would continue to do so in the future.

I hate to sound negative, but I am just sharing my experience.

I truly hope you love it and it makes you happy- it’s charming, happy and huge!!

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
I think your stone is amazing and like I said for an amazing price. But! As someone who has been on both sides of the situation, if you only have one shot of picking the right stone, trust your heart, not your head.

Many have said they grew to love their Oec.

I convinced myself this would be the case for my original e ring. I wanted it to be the case. It definitely was not. Over time my bad feeling festered and I ended up resenting my bad decision.

I recently bought and returned an Oec to replace my e ring. I really, really wanted it to be the one. (The kind folks here helped me with the decision ) After much agonising I went with my heart and sent it back.

And now finally it would appear I have found THE ONE!

I am not trying to persuade you one way or another, but like everyone has said, you have to love it, you have to wear it all day. It’s a great purchase and everyone likes it, but only you know if it’s the one.

Sure you can upgrade again in the future but if you’re spending a lot of time obsessing over the “flaws” now, I would have to consider if I would continue to do so in the future.

I hate to sound negative, but I am just sharing my experience.

I truly hope you love it and it makes you happy- it’s charming, happy and huge!!

@Lovesparklesparle It's wonderful that the stats turned out better! And that 12.5% jump in weight, WOW!! I'm happy for you that you have found THE ONE!! :clap:

You really hit the nail on the head. I read various "is this the one" threads and the reason why I am humming and hawing like crazy with this stone is because I don't want to be the person down the road rubbing my diamond every day thinking it should shine more or "is it dirty", just because it just doesn't have the kind of performance I'm expecting. The fact is that this stone does not have a return policy. I took a $1,500 gamble and hoping I'd get lucky. If I don't really love the stone, I will either sell it off or re-purpose it into a pendant where it will be out of constant sight and I won't be obsessing over it (as you rightly said). So I'm really looking forward to the weekend where I can take her out and wear and get to know her.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Well since it is yours now, have no regrets! Focus on the things you do like- amazing spread, bright centre, nice clarity, personality! All the big ticks. Since a return is not an option, I think if I were in your position I would proceed with the original plan and set and enjoy it. Hopefully the gamble pays off! If not, it’s not the end of the world and one day you continue the hunt. But no point worrying about something that may or may not be in the future.

Kinda like finding “the one” (partner) - some people have to try out a few (or a lot) out, and sometimes it’s just love at first sight. Like you say, this lil guy deserves his chance to shine!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Options down the track include a recut too

This one will be a “workhorse” so maybe it’s actually perfect for the job, as it’s not a true “upgrade”/replacement of your e ring which you cherish.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Not yet! But it has returned from AGS and the results are;

(In brackets will be what was estimated in the appraisal before certification)

Clarity: si1 (si2)
Weight: 1.125ct (1.08)
Colour: L (L)
Polish: vg (vg)
Symmetry: vg (vg)
Dimensions: 6.6x6.54x4.17 (6.5mmx6.5mm)
Depth: 63.4% (na)
Table: 51.7%

So pretty stoked with that! Sorry for the hijack lol

Haha estimated 1.08ct not 1.0+emoji

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missyminx, just enjoy it without worry. If you ever decide that you don't want to keep it anymore, I am sure that you could recoup your purchase price by selling on LoupeTroop.

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
C504751F-56FA-4DDF-AA24-C2DC8F96C9AC.jpeg 6432799B-194C-47D2-9E75-53FDE2011F5F.jpeg

So the weekend is here and it’s been raining all morning. But here are two photos and a video! And I must say she is growing on me :kiss2:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like it. If you ever decide to sell, keep me in mind! :whistle:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s lovely
Like everyone’s been saying, it’s a great stone for the price and just because it’s not “ideal cut” doesn’t mean it isn’t beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. Can’t wait to see it set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results